How much does a WordPress website cost?

bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

I've finally gotten down to writing an article on all the related costs when it comes to WP websites.

Surely, with a bit of coding and patience (read: "Black Friday sales") the costs can be significantly reduced, but I wanted to make a "pessimistic/realistic" overview, 'cause we all know that only pigeon pictures are really free:

How much does a WordPress website cost?

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

Comments

• WordPress.com : starting from zero US Dollars

Wordpress.org : starting from zero US Dollars

• WordPress website costs a lot of pain

• I'd say 1 dollar to somewhere around 70 dollars.

It's the content and the amount of organic traffic that matters. A site optimized for bots (AKA SEO optimized) ain't worth shit.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny bikegremlin

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• Good email infrastructure is the key to every victory!
    – Sun Tzu, “The Art of War”

kek

• edited April 2022

Just my opinion here, from the article:
    "A vast majority of my websites are hosted with HostMantis Enterprise Reseller hosting. It costs around $ 22 per month"

OH my god no - I've never even heard of that host. My entire company and about 20 sub-partners, and sub-websites, run on Stablehost for about $30/year combined (so $1.50/year each?) on their pro unlimited domain plan - and have been running there for over a decade, and that is a touch on the high-cost side for wordpress.

There are about a dozen other large hosts I'd recommend in the $30 to $70/year cost range. But $22 a month for wordpress is ... yikes.

XR Developer | https://redironlabs.com

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@lloyd said:
    "A vast majority of my websites are hosted with HostMantis Enterprise Reseller hosting. It costs around $ 22 per month"

OH my god no - I've never even heard of that host. My entire company and about 20 sub-partners, and sub-websites, run on Stablehost for about $30/year combined (so $1.50/year each?) on their pro unlimited domain plan - and have been running there for over a decade, and that is a touch on the high-cost side for wordpress.

There are about a dozen other large hosts I'd recommend in the $30 to $70/year cost range. But $22 a month for wordpress is ... yikes.

I'm interested in finding a good alternative.
    DirectAdmin reseller hosting, preferably UK, or US-East coast location.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• I didn't read the article. Not worth it in my book. No point in reading any articles in 2022.

But several WP sites I run and maintain for others, each of them costs around 5 bucks a month.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

• Almost forgot: when you Google “best hosting providers” or something similar, you’ll get a ton of paid articles that are nonsense – disregard them.

I agree, but HostMantis isn't that great either. They are doing huge price hikes in the name of cpanel hikes, but lot of people are still complaining about sub optimal performance.

If you are willing to spend 8 bucks more, might as well grab a slice and you get managed VPS, which will be overkill if you do not have much traffic.

If you are looking for alternative, then I might suggest Crocweb. I have been with them for almost a decade now, and they are pretty good. In spite of being in opposite timezone, they reply within minutes. And they do not have any affiliate system, so not many people promote them. Other option that I really liked was Ramnode, their uptime and support is really good.

@coo said:

Almost forgot: when you Google “best hosting providers” or something similar, you’ll get a ton of paid articles that are nonsense – disregard them.

I agree, but HostMantis isn't that great either. They are doing huge price hikes in the name of cpanel hikes, but lot of people are still complaining about sub optimal performance.

If you are willing to spend 8 bucks more, might as well grab a slice and you get managed VPS, which will be overkill if you do not have much traffic.

If you are looking for alternative, then I might suggest Crocweb. I have been with them for almost a decade now, and they are pretty good. In spite of being in opposite timezone, they reply within minutes. And they do not have any affiliate system, so not many people promote them. Other option that I really liked was Ramnode, their uptime and support is really good.

I've tried a few other options, and in terms of uptime no one was better (so far), while regarding performance, Brixly was just a tad better (but had some other hiccups so it's not a good match for me).

Tried even some more expensive options, like Veerotech (I think they're still a bit more expensive for what I'm using the hosting for).

I've heard good things about CrocWeb, but haven't used the service.

MDDhosting reseller offers also look promising - again, for my intended use - they (now, as of relatively recently) limit the resources per reseller account, not per a created cPanel account, but since I manage all the websites (not re-selling hosting literally), that works for me - more flexibility.

Both of those are using cPanel - while I finally switched completely to DirectAdmin. :)
    I'm always one step ahead behind! :)

I prefer a reseller package (Cloudlinux, Jetbackups and all), compared to paying (probably even more money) for a managed VPS.

• deankdeank OG
    edited April 2022

Well, if you use Cpenis, the overall cost is going to go up, yes. You don't really need cPenis. I mean we all need dicks, but CpEnis is worthless.

Get rid of it.

P.S. The 5 bucks I mentioned, it's 5 Canadian Rubles. In US currency, it should be more akin to 1 buck.

@deank said:
    Well, if you use Cpenis, the overall cost is going to go up, yes. You don't really need cPenis. I mean we all need dicks, but CpEnis is worthless.

Get rid of it.

P.S. The 5 bucks I mentioned, it's 5 Canadian Rubles. In US currency, it should be more akin to 1 buck.

I thought they be payin' you!? They ought to!

:)

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

@bikegremlin said:

@lloyd said:

I'm interested in finding a good alternative.
    DirectAdmin reseller hosting, preferably UK, or US-East coast location.

We’re in Canada but we will eventually be migrating to NYC. PM me if you want to give us a try, first month on us

• 7 is fair. Sell it to @revolver.

• (Between) Zero (to) Lots of Pain

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • 30$ minimum/year if developed by yourself, If you hired someone then 30$/year + developing costs.
    Why 30$?
    10$-12$ for the domain cost, 15$ to 20$ for decent hosting, and you will need to learn how to use free themes.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited April 2022

For me it was 50$ for 2-3 years (and hopefully many more) using @MikePT lifetime hosting :D Some even might get the small lifetime plan for 10$ which is more than enough for WP :)
    Props to Mike <3

• edited April 2022

@Ympker said:
    For me it was 50$ for 2-3 years (and hopefully many more) using @MikePT lifetime hosting :D Some even might get the small lifetime plan for 10$ which is more than enough for WP :)
    Props to Mike <3

I am also using Mike services, top notch, but here we're talking about general users who are not tech savy or looted by big companies Facebook or AdWords ads.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @SurferCloud said:
    $3 :)

A two year old thread?

@skorous said:

@SurferCloud said:
    $3 :)

A two year old thread?

One of the requirements for a provider tag is "minimum of 5 non-spammy posts."

Many people don't seem to understand what "non-spammy" means. :(

Thanked by (1)skorous