ATX 3.0 info?

bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Comments

• Kinda expected that to happen when Alder Lake came along.

And GPUs seeing overall increased power consumption overall.

The end is nigh. I hate to say it but Elon Musk is probably the only hope left for human survival.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@deank said:
    Kinda expected that to happen when Alder Lake came along.

And GPUs seeing overall increased power consumption overall.

The end is nigh. I hate to say it but Elon Musk is probably the only hope left for human survival.

More power - sure, I guess.
    But the way it seems to be implemented - doesn't sound promising, as in "not problem-prone."
    If the article is correct.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

lmao that RGB smoke stack in the article picture. Quality stockphoto selection

The other thing is that all this crap somehow needs to be 110V / 240V dual compatible.

idk...bought a 1000W PSU corsair last round and was hoping it would do two generations of builds but seems not. :(

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@havoc said:
    lmao that RGB smoke stack in the article picture. Quality stockphoto selection

The other thing is that all this crap somehow needs to be 110V / 240V dual compatible.

idk...bought a 1000W PSU corsair last round and was hoping it would do two generations of builds but seems not. :(

Yup. :(

It makes perfect sense in capitalism to force us to get new PSUs (and computer cases for that matter, though for now that part is still not inevitable, ATX 3.0 should fit the existing housings).

I expect the new standard to not remain for nearly as long. Guess we'll see. I expect that, in less than 5 years, we'll see something that requires a new computer case as well - for the win! :)

Not sure what the standard home fuse amps limit is in the US, but high power will put most 110V extension cords to the test.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@bikegremlin said: capitalism

idk - I don't think there is any evil intention behind this all. e.g. The coms link between the PSU and GPU for example makes practical sense.

On the plus side at least all this crap is happening at the same time (PSU, GPU, DDR5, PCIe5, AM5), so a PC build is likely to either be completely classic tech or all new stuff. Sounds less painful than incremental

The 600W GPUs is making me cringe though...power in europe is hella pricey lately

• Ehm, what does capitalism have to do anything here?

The whole ATX standards need to be updated. This is just a small part of it. Intel attempted a wholesale change before but didn't stick, so they are doing incremental alterations now.

• We need limitless clean energy soon to be developed, i hope sustainable fusion energy will be a thing in the next decade as energy prices are going up.

• I agree with the article that 12VO should be relegated to ITX or low-power appliances; if any component needs 5v or 3.3v, it's more efficient and modular to do the stepdown in the PSU rather than on the board.

I'm also confused about what the proposed 4-pin sideband (to the 12-pin 12v GPU connector) does that couldn't be done by the venerable i2c PMBus.

I empathise that the 24-pin ATX connector could benefit from updating, but incremental changes are more likely to see successful widespread adoption than big-bang changes. (True for big IT projects, too!)

• The only somewhat limitless clean energy can be only generated in space via solar panels.
    Everything else has a price. I believe wind power has the least negative effect but it's too unrealiable.

• This actually should have happened earlier, but intel did not have the voice to promote it a few years earlier.

Action and Reaction in history

• @bikegremlin said: It makes perfect sense in capitalism to force us to get new PSUs

I believe Intel itself does not sell PSU and chassis.

Action and Reaction in history