HubiC is dead, long live Shadow Drive!

Just received this:

`The hubiC offers as they currently exist will stop. Your account will be inaccessible from August 22, 2022. We would like to thank you for your trust and loyalty during those years and hope that hubiC gave you full satisfaction.

A new service, Shadow Drive, resolutely enriched and turned towards the future, has just been announced. It is a secure solution accessible to all, built in partnership with NextCloud, the world leader in open source cloud storage. Shadow Drive will be accessible for free up to 20GB of storage, while a premium version of the service will be available starting at €/£8.99 per month, with up to 2TB of storage.

As a loyal Hubic customer, we offer you the chance to be among the first to experience Shadow Drive and its early access launch. If you choose the 2TB offer, we will gladly migrate your hubiC data to Shadow Drive.

IMPORTANT: it is essential to fill in your preferences, to benefit from an early access account, and plan the migration of your hubiC data:

Without any action from you, we will delete your account as well as all your files hosted at hubiC when we stop our services.

To recover your file, follow the instructions included in the link to download your files directly to your device.

The hubiC teams thank you once again for your trust and loyalty.`

Comments

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

I don't get why people use these unknown providers for their data?

2TB icloud storage is £6.99/month. Why the fuck would I pay £8.99 for something less integrated, less known and sends fun surprise emails like this:

Without any action from you, we will delete your account as well as all your files hosted at hubiC when we stop our services.

What am I missing?

Thanked by (1)pikachu
  • BusterWolfBusterWolf OGRetired

@havoc said:
    I don't get why people use these unknown providers for their data?

Unknown is a stretch, it's an OVH business.

2TB icloud storage is £6.99/month. Why the fuck would I pay £8.99 for something less integrated, less known and sends fun surprise emails like this

Well personally there's stuff I wouldn't want to keep in iCloud. Price-wise, £8.99 for 2TB is fairly competitive compared to other 'cloud' storage providers.

You're getting 3 months warning that you need to move your data. The services has been closed to new business for years and news of the move to Shadow came a month or so ago. I wouldn't characterise it as a surprise exactly.

What am I missing?

That it's an OVH business, that £8.99 is competitive pricing, and that news of the closure is not a surprise. I think that covers it.

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

Love the tags btw :)

Here is the launch of Shadow Drive
    https://youtu.be/3Iet-YufelM?t=472

@BusterWolf said: OVH business

It's owned by OVH's Chairman (Octave Klaba) but it's a separate business

Honestly I have no idea why anyone would use them for storage when nothing is really that revolutionary (and they don't have a track record of serving customers very well... just see how they doubled Shadow desktop's pricing from $15/month to $30/month and never improved the product). Klaba has owned Shadow and HubiC for a year, and this is what they came up with? Hosted Nextcloud? They've got like 100 employees or something working on this venture

@havoc said: 2TB icloud storage is £6.99/month

Agreed. Storage is pretty commoditized. 2TB at Hetzner hosted Nextcloud will pretty much be the same as 2TB here or 2TB iCloud. It's not really a noteworthy product launch

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited May 2022

I haven't seen Shadow in a while, and it honestly seems like they're targeting businesses over gamers now...

I am a representative of Advin Servers

@lentro said:
    Love the tags btw :)

I always find ways to amuse myself.

Here is the launch of Shadow Drive
    https://youtu.be/3Iet-YufelM?t=472

@BusterWolf said: OVH business

It's owned by OVH's Chairman (Octave Klaba) but it's a separate business

I stand corrected.

Thanked by (1)lentro

hubiC are still invoicing me for the next year of service. Weird.

• @BusterWolf said:

Money grab. Cancel after dumping backup.

@legendary said:

@BusterWolf said:

Money grab. Cancel after dumping backup.

The good thing about HubiC is that they never removed access to the files, they just keep sending the invoice. I’ll pull down my files and let it die.

• much resolutely enriched

I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.