Post any info about Apple's M2 chip here

vyasvyas OG
edited May 2022 in General

I have been reading up on M2 chips lately, and I think there is far more noise than signal.

For e.g.:

Rumours still persist that Apple could announce the M2 chip at WWDC 2022 and, with it, refresh the MacBook Air and the entry-level MacBook Pro.

Source: https://www.cnbctv18.com/technology/apple-wwdc-ios-16-ipados-16-macos-13-watchos-9-iphone-macbook-air-m2-chip-13599412.htm

How is this helpful in any way? Simply a verbal diarrhoea IMO. Instead,
Can
we start collating relevant, pertinent links/ information here?

e.g. 10 cores/ xx GPU Cores in M2? Which devices will get the chip?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• M2: 8 CPU cores and 9/10 GPU cores
    M2 Pro: 12 CPU Cores and 16 GPU cores
    M2 Max: 12 CPU cores and 32 GPU cores
    M2 Ultra: 24 CPU cores and 48/64 GPU cores
    M2 Extreme: 48 CPU cores and 96/128 GPU cores
    source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Roadmap-details-Apple-M2-Extreme-SoC-with-48-CPU-cores-and-up-to-128-GPU-cores-together-with-new-M2-based-MacBook-Air-MacBook-Pro-Mac-and-7K-Pro-Display-XDR.608239.0.html

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • The M2 chip is likely to be included in the ‌MacBook Air‌ that's coming in 2022, as well as an updated Mac mini and a new version of the 13-inch MacBook Pro. Apple's ‌MacBook Air‌ is the most exciting of the M2 products rumored, and it is expected to see a total design overhaul, with the new machine featuring slimmer off-white bezels, an off-white keyboard, a MacBook Pro-style design with a possible notch and no more wedge-shaped design.

The M2 Pro and M2 Max will be used in the ‌Mac mini‌ and the 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models.

source: https://www.macrumors.com/guide/m2/#:~:text=The%20M2%20is%20expected%20to,in%20the%20original%20%E2%80%8CM1%E2%80%8C%20chip.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited May 2022

Been reading that the next Mac Mini will be launched in 2023 ish. MBP Air with M2 (fewer ports) this year.
    M1 Air and M1 Pro were almost identical when launched. No more the case?

M2: 8 CPU cores and 9/10 GPU cores
    M2 Pro: 12 CPU Cores and 16 GPU cores
    M2 Max: 12 CPU cores and 32 GPU cores
    M2 Ultra: 24 CPU cores and 48/64 GPU cores
    M2 Extreme: 48 CPU cores and 96/128 GPU cores

• @vyas said:
    Been reading that the next Mac Mini will be launched in 2023 ish. MBP Air with M2 (fewer ports) this year.
    M1 Air and M1 Pro were almost identical when launched. No more the case?

M1 Air had no stupid touchbar and was £200, and so clearly the better option compared to MBP 13. The only advantage that was was having 4 USB ports instead of 2.

The current MBP 14 and 16 models are substantially better than the Air, and add loads of ports that have been missing from MBP for ages, as well as being faster.

• I don't mind if it is 8 core, I hope they have sturdy logic board which do not fail often.

• @ralf said:
    M1 Air had no stupid touchbar and was £200

Just realised this was supposed to say "£200 less". I'd be very happy to get a £200 M1 Air! :)

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Feels a little fast for a full new chip? I think it'll be a tick tock cycle a bit like intel used to do.

Wouldn't mind snagging an old M1 at some stage. Mostly SSH'ing into stuff anyway when not at desktop so a fanless last gen design would be perfect.

• Just bought a 16" Pro, would be pissed if M2 dropped before Q4 2022/Q1 2023

• elliotcelliotc OG
    edited May 2022

Not interested in upgrading at all with my m1 air, it is strong as the first day. But apple's build quality maybe has gone down lately. My m1 had hardware failure(display) in a year. It was fixed for free and fast within 2 days. Maybe just a individual events, but it makes me feel bad with their quality.

Edit: The display problem are not likely casued by me, since the laptop mostly stay on a dock and I rarely move it. With external display and keyboard. About the keyboard... I was asking them help me clean the keyboard because the E key have weird sound... I guess they misunderstood LOL.

Problem Description/Diagnosis
    Issue: Customer reported Display have Dead Pixels and Keyboard same key not sensitive.
    Steps to Reproduce: Diagnostics test -
    Cosmetic Condition: Update before check in.
    Proposed Resolution: In store replace Display and TopCase.

Thanked by (1)bdl

Action and Reaction in history

• coocoo
    edited May 2022

@elliotc said:
    Not interested in upgrading at all with my m1 air, it is strong as the first day. But apple's build quality maybe has gone down lately. My m1 had hardware failure(display) in a year. It was fixed for free and fast within 2 days. Maybe just a individual events, but it makes me feel bad with their quality.

Edit: The display problem are not likely casued by me, since the laptop mostly stay on a dock and I rarely move it. With external display and keyboard. About the keyboard... I was asking them help me clean the keyboard because the E key have weird sound... I guess they misunderstood LOL.

Problem Description/Diagnosis
    Issue: Customer reported Display have Dead Pixels and Keyboard same key not sensitive.
    Steps to Reproduce: Diagnostics test -
    Cosmetic Condition: Update before check in.
    Proposed Resolution: In store replace Display and TopCase.

I am considering moving away from Macbooks but unable to find anything close to Macbooks trackpad.
    I have had motherboard failure on my Pro within 30 days, and this was on brand new device. Got it replaced and it went kaput within the next 15 days.

Repairs outside warranty are disaster, I was quoted $1000 for motherboard replacement on my 2019 macbook which gave up a week after expiry of warranty :#

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

M2 just got announced

Looks impressive! If I had a need for an ultra-light laptop the Air would def tempt

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/06/apple-unveils-all-new-macbook-air-supercharged-by-the-new-m2-chip/

Thanked by (1)ralf
  • sad news, they keep the M1 prices

• edited June 2022

@elliotc said: I was asking them help me clean the keyboard because the E key have weird sound... I guess they misunderstood LOL.

You can turn the laptop upright and tap the bottom of the laptop to remove dust. Recently my Macbook's shift key was acting up and I fixed it that way.

• @stevewatson301 said:

@elliotc said: I was asking them help me clean the keyboard because the E key have weird sound... I guess they misunderstood LOL.

You can turn the laptop upright and tap the bottom of the laptop to remove dust. Recently my Macbook's shift key was acting up and I fixed it that way.

So my parents were trying to remove dust when they did this to me as a kid? 😲

Thanked by (2)pikachu ralf

so say we all

• @xaoc said:

@stevewatson301 said:

So my parents were trying to remove dust when they did this to me as a kid? 😲

Haha, thanks for the laugh :lol: You could also try compressed air, as suggested in the documentation, but I wasn't sure if compressed air would exacerbate the problem by blowing the dust away to other hard-to-reach areas of the keyboard.

Thanked by (1)xaoc