3rd party services in software (GDPR)

This topic has come up a few times - but unfortunately whmcs won't give us an answer when asked as to what services are used in the product itself. Anyone with insight know more - I accept there are dependencies and I simply want to be transparent with my users in privacy policies

Tagged:

Comments

• Just put everything possible, no one reads that anyways

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin fadedmaple
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited June 2022

@szymonp said:
    Just put everything possible, no one reads that anyways

In Germany we have some law firms that use automated scripts to find any faults in your gdpr privacy policy and the sue the heck out of you. That's Germany for you. There was some new law against companies suing other companies for privacy policy violations just for the sake of suing shouldn't be allowed anymore, though (due to the aforementioned abuse). Not sure if things have actually changed, though.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin pikachu
  • @szymonp said:

Well, I'd like to actually depart from the norm of baffling with bull-excrement or ignoring a users (I feel) right to know

• edited June 2022

@Ympker said:

@szymonp said:

In Germany we have some law firms that use automated scripts to find any faults in your gdpr privacy policy and the sue the heck out of you. That's Germany for you. There was some new law against companies suing other companies for privacy policy violations just for the sake of suing shouldn't be allowed anymore, though (due to the aforementioned abuse). Not sure if things have actually changed, though.

Yeah, its not even a legal issue where we are, I have a genuine desire to be upfront - I've listed all I can find in processes and from a brief network monitoring but still I'm sure some will be missed no doubt! I reached out with my existing list and couldn't even get a confirmation of if the list was correct or not!

I found the entire exchange frustrating to say the least

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited June 2022

@chris said:

@Ympker said:

@szymonp said:

Yeah, its not even a legal issue where we are, I have a genuine desire to be upfront - I've listed all I can find in processes and from a brief network monitoring but still I'm sure some will be missed no doubt! I reached out with my existing list and couldn't even get a confirmation of if the list was correct or not!

I found the entire exchange frustrating to say the least

Albeit WHMCS is (still) widely used, I can imagine them shitting on things like that, unfortunately. Props for you wanting to be upfront with your customers, but in that case it's probably better to look for another solution. Blesta with 99% open source code may allow for checking lots of stuff yourself. I'd assume that WHMCS, if self-hosted, won't process much data by itself, but then again, if they use Google Fonts and sideload other types of resources you quickly have a long list..

Maybe make your list publicly available on Github and ask WHMCS hosts to contribute?

• You can always put down "The end is nigh" and be done with it.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin pikachu

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• Albeit WHMCS is (still) widely used, I can imagine them shitting on things like that, unfortunately. Props for you wanting to be upfront with your customers, but in that case it's probably better to look for another solution. Blesta with 99% open source code may allow for checking lots of stuff yourself. I'd assume that WHMCS, if self-hosted, won't process much data by itself, but then again, if they use Google Fonts and sideload other types of resources you quickly have a long list..

Maybe make your list publicly available on Github and ask WHMCS hosts to contribute?

Yeah, It's mainly the 3rd party services and whatever they gather for licensing purposes I'd imagined! We already use 3 different billing platforms so I'm certainly open to any move really in 6 months time! I was hoping maybe some of the nerds had gathered info over time and would save me from insanity :)

@deank said:
    You can always put down "The end is nigh" and be done with it.

That's true! Maybe a..... we don't know what data goes where, Nor who gets access...... I'm sorry :tongue:

My main gripe is we can't be honest, We're forced to be ambiguous because it's breaking the law around data! Whilst that can be mitigated with wording it's disingenuous and I feel companies deserve better! I was planning to make lists of each softwhere for others to use aswell! Github is a good idea thinking about it

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Learn from the US government:

"you have no reasonable expectation of privacy regarding any communications or information used, transmitted, or stored on these information systems"

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:
    Learn from the US government:

"you have no reasonable expectation of privacy regarding any communications or information used, transmitted, or stored on these information systems"

Haha! Who here fancies a race? First to lose 60% of their customers...... go

• @chris said:

@yoursunny said:

I don't see 60% Americans fleeing the country and selling refugee in GDPR land.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@yoursunny said:

Yeah but they also managed to vote in Trump so wouldn't use them as the benchmark for sane behaviour :p

Thanked by (1)chimichurri
  • @yoursunny said:

@chris said:

@yoursunny said:

Lol it was a joke, but only governments can show a blatant disregard for its subscribers!

We exchange money voluntarily with people, not through taxation 😝