Ympker's New Flat - Suggestions/Advice

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited June 2022 in General

Hey there, everyone.
As some of you will have found out in another thread, I am moving together with the gf towards the end of August. Although, in the thread I mentioned earlier, I originally asked for a network solution for our new flat, people like @skorupion and @bikegremlin have been suggesting things on how to improve the overall situation of the flat. Given that it's our first own flat (before I lived only in a shared flat with other students aside from living at home), we are generally open to any advice or ideas for improvement of our setup. So, if you have any more ideas or if there's anything to keep in mind or watch out for, feel free to let us know in this thread :)

The flat:

The flat is situated somewhat in the city centre, is on the fourth floor and is about 45m2 (two room flat) in size. The flat also has a roof slope (if that's the word?!).

The image below shows how the flat more or less looks like and how we plan on using the space available to us. The washing machine is missing in the picture below and it's situated inside the bathroom (we found out about this when we visited the place).

Any ideas on what could be improved or any things to watch out for are more than welcome :)

Cheers,
Ympker

Thanked by (1)armandorg

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Take all of this with a bucket of salt - it's just my opinion, based on my experience (and preferences/priorities).

If it helps, playing with this software helped me be sure that breaking a wall is a good idea:
    https://www.sweethome3d.com/

I'm sure there are dozens of similar ones, perhaps even better (you may already be using one), but this one was idiot-friendly and nice for me to use.

For some quick ideas:
    The thing you put over the stove, to suck in the fumes and push them out of the apartment - it's a good idea if you cook your meals and haven't got a separate kitchen (as a room with a door). I went to great lengths to install that, and its exhaust.
    There are some with "advanced filters" that just circulate the air, and, just like my sense of humour, they are lacking. :)

No balcony to dry clothes, no free wall to store bicycles. :(

A washing machine in the bathroom is a good idea.

You've managed to set up two work desks, but one is in the bedroom.
    Depending on how tightly you sleep and how "synched" your schedules are, it may, or may not cause friction (not that it can't be turned into fun though :) ).

No room for kids, but I don't see how that could fit into 45 m2. :(

Thinking out loud:
    I'd consider making a U-shaped work desk combo in the top-left corner, and replacing the work desk in the bedroom with some more wardrobes (you need good winter and summer clothing in Germany I suppose).

Finally, disregard all this and let the woman choose furniture, layout and decoration. Life's better that way. :)

I did get the wall-down proposition through, though! Yey! :)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/BokbzPEUd7Q

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@bikegremlin said:
    Take all of this with a bucket of salt - it's just my opinion, based on my experience (and preferences/priorities).

Sure thing, happy for any feedback we get :)

If it helps, playing with this software helped me be sure that breaking a wall is a good idea:
    https://www.sweethome3d.com/

Looks great! Will probably give that one a try next (easier than to start up Sims 3 from the GF's Origin account every time) ;)

For some quick ideas:
    The thing you put over the stove, to suck in the fumes and push them out of the apartment - it's a good idea if you cook your meals and haven't got a separate kitchen (as a room with a door). I went to great lengths to install that, and its exhaust.
    There are some with "advanced filters" that just circulate the air, and, just like my sense of humour, they are lacking. :)

Yeah, I think I know what you are referring to. It's already there/included in the kitchen we are buying from the person who lived there before :)

Overall, appears to be a very generous offer, as they are giving us the kitchen, along with the stove, dishwasher, sink, fridge and the washing machine for 500€ in total as they are moving to Italy. Visiting them next week to check if all things are working properly, though (so we don't pay 500€ for nothing). If all's well, 500€ for all of this sounds like a good price (even if used) and easier and more affordable than replacing/adding our own kitchen/stove/washing machine/dish asher/fridge.

No balcony to dry clothes, no free wall to store bicycles. :(

Yeah, we really gotta find a place for drying the clothes haha :D Maybe in the patio? There is a patio which is only accessible by ppl living in the building and where we a can also park our bikes (although, I'll give you that, the wall-bike thing looks fancy :P ).
    Then again, hanging up clothes in a public space is always a bit of a 50:50 chance of getting your favourite clothes stolen xD

A washing machine in the bathroom is a good idea.

Yeah, sounds about right. Appears to be a Samsung. I'll have to check the exact model but for the price mentioned above seems good.

You've managed to set up two work desks, but one is in the bedroom.
    Depending on how tightly you sleep and how "synched" your schedules are, it may, or may not cause friction (not that it can't be turned into fun though :) ).

The idea was that I am taking the one in the bedroom as I tend to go to sleep earlier (yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a terrible sterotype when it comes to gamer/dev sleep schedule), and the gf's desk will be in the kitchen/living room because she usually stays up late.
    I can see how "friction" could still be caused but at this point there aren't many options given that we kinda prefer both desks to be at the window (sun-light), too. It's east side, so not too much sun but enough :P Also have to buy a fan for summer haha :disappointed:

No room for kids, but I don't see how that could fit into 45 m2. :(

We are likely gonna live there for 2-3 years only, until we finish our studies :) After that, probably moving to a bigger place so that wouldn't be a proble (for now).

Thinking out loud:
    I'd consider making a U-shaped work desk combo in the top-left corner, and replacing the work desk in the bedroom with some more wardrobes (you need good winter and summer clothing in Germany I suppose).

I am not entirely sure what you are saying here. Are you referring to the top-left corner of the bedroom? If so, where would you place the bed instead? I imagine it would be hard fitting both desks (I assume that's what you mean by U-Shaped work desk combo?!), the bed AND more drawers/wardrobes into the bedroom? But yeah, we definitely need to change clothing a lot xD

Finally, disregard all this and let the woman choose furniture, layout and decoration. Life's better that way. :)

She is actually very excited to do this, so this might just happen anyway lol :D

I did get the wall-down proposition through, though! Yey! :)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/BokbzPEUd7Q

Haha, nice one! :D

Thanks for all the feedback, mate @bikegremlin ! Much appreciated :)

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • Need AC for hot summer and cold winter is not it? Advice (mitsubishi 1x1 msz-ap35vgk)
    For a small apartment like this you should use all the height. Like ex of living in 25m2 Studio i have learnt how important is to use all the available space vertically. You know put all the things that are not used on the top shelfs.
    Change the electric lamps to leds
    Buy a water saver.
    Buy an escalera for the vertical order of the apartment is a must.
    Mmm where are you going to put the laundry? Or there is common balcony like in Spain ?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Dentistry is my passion

• Double check the electric company. If you have the same system like in Spain of free market . Not sure how expensive and if you could change the electric company like in Spain. For me and for my parents. We have changed recently our electric company . we have chsnged 0.44 to 0.195 for kwh. This is essentially saving lot of money for 15min process. May be you have something similar to CNMC calculators for energy in order to see which provider is the better/cheaper/greener .

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Dentistry is my passion

• Wait, does that mock of the flat is created in Sims 4? :D

Thanked by (2)Ympker bdl
    edited June 2022

@Chievo said:
    Need AC for hot summer and cold winter is not it? Advice (mitsubishi 1x1 msz-ap35vgk)
    For a small apartment like this you should use all the height. Like ex of living in 25m2 Studio i have learnt how important is to use all the available space vertically. You know put all the things that are not used on the top shelfs.

AC is probably a luxury for students here and we probably wouldn't be allowed to install a stationary one. Could probably get a mobile one with a tube going out of the window. I am referring to something like this.

In general, using all the height is a great idea and we will probably try to install lots of top shelves. Noted! :)

Good idea! Noted :)

Buy a water saver.

For what purpose exactly? For drinking we can just use tab water, bathroom gets its own water and it would probably only use space, or am I missing something here? :)

We already have one. Definitely necessary :P

Mmm where are you going to put the laundry? Or there is common balcony like in Spain ?

No, there is no balcony. The guy who lived there before also didn't really get into detail where he put it. I'll ask him next week when we check out the other items we're potentially gonna buy off him.

@Chievo said:
    Double check the electric company. If you have the same system like in Spain of free market . Not sure how expensive and if you could change the electric company like in Spain. For me and for my parents. We have changed recently our electric company . we have chsnged 0.44 to 0.195 for kwh. This is essentially saving lot of money for 15min process. May be you have something similar to CNMC calculators for energy in order to see which provider is the better/cheaper/greener .

Yeah, we are definitely gonna check that and internet. For one, there might be better tarifs available. Also, sometimes you get a bonus for switching. We are going to switch ISP anyway to get 1 Gbit/s.

edited June 2022

@legendary said:
    Wait, does that mock of the flat is created in Sims 4? :D

Sims 3, but yeah. The gf plays/used to play Sims a lot and envisioned/mapped our house using Sims 3 :D
    Minecraft was another idea but a bit blocksy xD

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

I am not entirely sure what you are saying here. Are you referring to the top-left corner of the bedroom? If so, where would you place the bed instead? I imagine it would be hard fitting both desks (I assume that's what you mean by U-Shaped work desk combo?!), the bed AND more drawers/wardrobes into the bedroom? But yeah, we definitely need to change clothing a lot xD

My bad. I meant the top-right corner, when you enter through the door to the apartment. In the living room.
    A potential problem could be the sun from the window(s) - causing screen glare.

Then you'd get more room for wardrobes in the bedroom. There are also some huge drawers that you can fit under the bed - check those out. As well as living room sofas with a compartment beneath (Feydom - worth every penny IMO, if they're available in Germany - modular, like Lego :) ).

Just "throwing ideas," you'll figure it out best what suits you.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• skorupionskorupion Services Provider
    edited June 2022

For drying, you can use good ol air drying, just hang up some wire in your bathroom and hang your clothes

(also pls post the exact sizes of the apt. might figure something out or just frick around

Thanked by (2)Ympker chimichurri

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

My bad. I meant the top-right corner, when you enter through the door to the apartment. In the living room.
    A potential problem could be the sun from the window(s) - causing screen glare.

Ahhh... Now, that makes a lot more sense ;) Good idea! We will map it out and give it a thought! Definitely would allow for more storage in the bed room. Screen glare is something we'd probably just have to try out :P

Then you'd get more room for wardrobes in the bedroom. There are also some huge drawers that you can fit under the bed - check those out. As well as living room sofas with a compartment beneath (Feydom - worth every penny IMO, if they're available in Germany - modular, like Lego :) ).

Drawers and sofas with compartment beneath are a good idea to get extra storage :) My bed (currently) also has drawers below, so we might take that one with us (or get a similar one). Feydom looks nice (although it sounds a bit like a kinky fetish :P ).

Just "throwing ideas," you'll figure it out best what suits you.

Sure thing! Happy to hear any!

edited June 2022

@bikegremlin said: The thing you put over the stove, to suck in the fumes and push them out of the apartment - it's a good idea if you cook your meals and haven't got a separate kitchen (as a room with a door). I went to great lengths to install that, and its exhaust.
    There are some with "advanced filters" that just circulate the air, and, just like my sense of humour, they are lacking.

From my experience, they aren't good until they are like 2 cm from the food, and are better for smoking, and I see a window so better to just open it

@bikegremlin said: No room for kids, but I don't see how that could fit into 45 m2.

My and my moms apt is 35 m and we fit a bathroom(small but usable) a kitchen area, one room for my mom (very small but good enough for a bed and a TV, living room (has dining table, my moms desk and closets for her, and general stuff), and my room (also small, fits a small closet, and big desk, some drawers with a wall monted TV, and my bed) and the best is the price which is about 60 bucks p/m) also by the city this apt should fit a family of most likely rn 4 (2+2) cuz Poland Is fucked up. Btw the apt is directly from the city so that's why its sooo cheap.

@Chievo said: Need AC for hot summer and cold winter is not it? Advice (mitsubishi 1x1 msz-ap35vgk)

Not really at most 2 fans (at least that's what worked for me)

edited June 2022

@skorupion said:
    For drying, you can use good ol air drying, just hang up some wire in your bathroom and hang your clothes

Yeah, that's our plan for now :P

(also pls post the exact sizes of the apt. might figure something out or just frick around

The exact sizes we will probably measure when we do our second visit where we also check out the things we are going to buy from him :D

Living room + Kitchen ( = 1 room) is 27,20m2

Bedroom is 11,87 m2

Bathroom is 4,56 m2

Entry area after door is like 2,10m2

• @Ympker said:

@Chievo said:
    Need AC for hot summer and cold winter is not it? Advice (mitsubishi 1x1 msz-ap35vgk)

AC is probably a luxury for students here and we probably wouldn't be allowed to install a stationary one. Could probably get a mobile one with a tube going out of the window. I am referring to something like this.

In general, using all the height is a great idea and we will probably try to install lots of top shelves. Noted! :)

Good idea! Noted :)

Buy a water saver.

For what purpose exactly? For drinking we can just use tab water, bathroom gets its own water and it would probably only use space, or am I missing something here? :)

We already have one. Definitely necessary :P

No, there is no balcony. The guy who lived there before also didn't really get into detail where he put it. I'll ask him next week when we check out the other items we're potentially gonna buy off him.

@Chievo said:
    Double check the electric company. If you have the same system like in Spain of free market . Not sure how expensive and if you could change the electric company like in Spain. For me and for my parents. We have changed recently our electric company . we have chsnged 0.44 to 0.195 for kwh. This is essentially saving lot of money for 15min process. May be you have something similar to CNMC calculators for energy in order to see which provider is the better/cheaper/greener .

Yeah, we are definitely gonna check that and internet. For one, there might be better tarifs available. Also, sometimes you get a bonus for switching. We are going to switch ISP anyway to get 1 Gbit/s.

Saving water. It is just like a plug in to the sink. More pressure less consumption. Win win . and being green and it is cheapo

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Dentistry is my passion

edited June 2022

@Ympker said:

@skorupion said:

Yeah, that's our plan for now :P

The exact sizes we will probably measure when we do our second visit where we also check out the things we are going to buy from him :D

Living room + Kitchen ( = 1 room) is 27,20m2

Bedroom is 11,87 m2

Bathroom is 4,56 m2

Entry area after door is like 2,10m2

I mean like bedroom is 2m*3m etc...
    Also u free for a call with me and maybe @bikegremlin

Saving water. It is just like a plug in to the sink. More pressure less consumption. Win win . and being green and it is cheapo

Ahh. Okay, I'll need to look into that (to find out what exactly you were referring to) :P

edited June 2022

I mean like bedroom is 2m*3m etc...

Yeah, the exact measurements I will probably take next week (if the guy has time) hopefully.

Thanks! That's a cool idea (if you guys are up for it). We could hop on a (Discord/Whatsapp whatever) call once I got the measurements to discuss any issues :P

During our first visit I also took some pictures of the flat (how it currently looks like) which I could then show you.

@Ympker said: Thanks! That's a cool idea (if you guys are up for it). We could hop on a (Discord/Whatsapp whatever) call once I got the measurements to discuss any issues :P

Waiting on you on LES discord rn, even without the measurements there are some things to discuss

Thanked by (1)Chievo

• @Ympker said:

Ahh. Okay, I'll need to look into that (to find out what exactly you were referring to) :P

Econimizador de agua grifo on amazon.es 10 euros for 2 of them. Dirty cheapo

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Dentistry is my passion

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

I think most of them come already on the faucet, and they are called Faucet aerator

Thanked by (1)Chievo

@skorupion said:

@Ympker said: Thanks! That's a cool idea (if you guys are up for it). We could hop on a (Discord/Whatsapp whatever) call once I got the measurements to discuss any issues :P

Waiting on you on LES discord rn, even without the measurements there are some things to discuss

Oh, right. I'll be there in like 5mins :P

Thanked by (1)Chievo

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

Muchas gracias, señor :)

Thanked by (1)Chievo

@skorupion can you link me LES Discord? I can't find it in my serverlist atm :P

@Ympker said:
    @skorupion can you link me LES Discord? I can't find it in my serverlist atm :P

https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/1594/les-discord-server-invite-come-and-shoot-the-sh-t/p1

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Storage space. No matter how much you have it won't be enough.

I ended up hiring a storage rental place...

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@havoc said:
    Storage space. No matter how much you have it won't be enough.

True that.

I ended up hiring a storage rental place...

How did that happen? Too many leftovers from old place? :D

@Ympker said: How did that happen? Too many leftovers from old place?

Probably cardboard boxes

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Just had a nice chat with @skorupion on Discord. Cool guy and lots of good ideas :) Thanks, mate!

@Ympker said:
    Just had a nice chat with @skorupion on Discord. Cool guy and lots of good ideas :) Thanks, mate!

No problem, now to wait on the exact sizes and lets do that again

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@Ympker said: Too many leftovers from old place?

nah just stuff like wanted to keep pc screen boxes etc

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Eat whatever and enjoy your GF! The rest is irrelevant in the footnotes of a long marriage 😝

Best of luck in your new home

Thanked by (2)Ympker bikegremlin