pCloud introduced a new/revised WordPress Backup Plugin!!

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited June 2022 in General

That's pretty cool, because the old plugin (I think there was one?) hasn't been very popular iirc.

UpdraftPlus and AIO WP Migration required the premium version/addon to use pCloud.

Will give it a try soon! Seems like you can even schedule automatic backups now. And all that to lifetime Cloud storage (aka pCloud) :)

@bikegremlin @vyas

https://blog.pcloud.com/backup-your-wordpress-with-pcloud/

https://wordpress.org/plugins/pcloud-wp-backup/

Thanked by (2)vyas bikegremlin

Comments

• Part OT/part related

This gives me a reason to get a 500 gb “lifetime” pcloud plan during the next sale. Updraft plus and aio wp migration have served well so far

Thanked by (2)Ympker BlaZe
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited June 2022

@vyas said:
    Part OT/part related

This gives me a reason to get a 500 gb “lifetime” pcloud plan during the next sale. Updraft plus and aio wp migration have served well so far

I thought you already had pCloud? But maybe I am mistaken?

Also, I'll have to retry later, but after installing the WP Plugin and connecting my pCloud I run a backup and it failed at creating zip archive, so gotta double check or report it to them.

Anyway, the plugin is a brand-new rework and I'm sure they'll make it work sooner or later (or it does work and error was on my server-side).

• I have annual 2 TB :-)

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited June 2022

@vyas said:
    I have annual 2 TB :-)

Oh, well. The lifetime addict in me went straight for the LTD (500GB). Might upgrade at a later point if WP plugin thrives.

Btw. just saw in pCloud plugin readme that ZIP needs to be enabled for PHP.

I ticked the ZIP extension in DirectAdmin, though. Am I missing anything?

= Minimum Requirements =

1. PHP 5.6 or higher with ZIP support
    2. pCloud account
  • @vyas said:
    Part OT/part related

me too, will get one next sale

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited June 2022

Appears like it is missing some kind of permission to create ZIP:

debug start_backup at: 2022-06-28 09:47:29 2022-06-28 09:47:29

• Memory limits: 40M / 1G 2022-06-28 09:47:29

• Database backup will start now! 2022-06-28 09:47:29

• db_backup->start() 2022-06-28 09:47:30 - db_backup->start()

• Success! 2022-06-28 09:47:30

• Database backup

• ready! 2022-06-28 09:47:30

• File backup will start now! 2022-06-28 09:47:30

• All temporary files - cleared! 2022-06-28 09:47:34

• All files collected and ready to be compressed! 2022-06-28 09:47:34

• Start creating ZIP archive! 2022-06-28 09:47:34

• ZIP state - open 2022-06-28 09:47:38

• ZIP files added 2022-06-28 09:47:38

• ZIP DB file - added 2022-06-28 09:48:34

• --------- |||| -------- Failed to create ZIP file: Can't open file: Permission denied 2022-06-28 09:48:36 - wp2pcl_perform_auto_backup()

Update: Did a fresh WP install and zipping works now :)
    Seems like I'll have to go digging for a conflicting plugin or smth else that caused the error on my main site.

Currently: "uploading to pCloud": Let's see when this is done :D

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited June 2022

Hm..

need to install the "official" plugin like @ympker mentioned in OP

pcloud-backup-plugin

Edit: I did not encounter any PHP issues- but found the backup speed to be slower than Updraft Plus for SAME WP installation.

Server (vps on gridpane: France). Pcloud: EU Datacenter

Updraft: “free version” stores to gdrive Us east coast

@vyas said:
    Hm..

need to install the "official" plugin like @ympker mentioned in OP

pcloud-backup-plugin

Edit: I did not encounter any PHP issues- but found the backup speed to be slower than Updraft Plus for SAME WP installation.

Server (vps on gridpane: France). Pcloud: EU Datacenter

Updraft: “free version” stores to gdrive Us east coast

The plugin I used was the bottom left.
    Did the backup to pCloud work for you?

On my fresh dummy wp install, the zipping worked, however upload to pCloud failed and it said it couldn't find directory. I assume that is the case because dummy install was at "demo.domain.com/wp/dummy" and I'd assume it failed to create this "domain directory" in pCloud as I don't see it in the wp backup folder. I only see directories for the two top level domains I added (domain1.com and domain2.com). Will have to see which plugin/feature/permission causes the zipping to fail on my main domain, because I think the upload to pCloud would work (since the directory exists).

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Bad cop mode on/ :)

WP plugin shouldn't be used to back WP up.
    It's best done on the server level (if one has access).

I'd argue that to be faster, less resource-demanding (in a shared hosting environment this matters, be a good customer :) ), and more stable & secure.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

edited June 2022

@bikegremlin said:
    Bad cop mode on/ :)

WP plugin shouldn't be used to back WP up.
    It's best done on the server level (if one has access).

I'd argue that to be faster, less resource-demanding (in a shared hosting environment this matters, be a good customer :) ), and more stable & secure.

That may be true, but since Updraft basically just zips/archives the files and folders I have been using it for backups for years :P I just sync the Updraft Folder to GDrive or connect via WinSCP and sync the updraft backup directory from server to a local directory on my PC from where it is usually synced to a Koofr and pCloud folder for additional backup destinations.

Fwiw, the server provider also often makes server side backups on top (MyW/IONOS..), albeit not always off-site which is good to have as an additional backup replication.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited June 2022

@Ympker said:

Worked like a charm. I can see that a weekly/daily/monthly schedule is also possible. Overall I Like it, minimal learning curve.

However,
    After testing I unlinked the account- because I had to link using the same login + PW as my main account. (PW changed promptly at pCloud, though I had to unlink and re-link a couple of other accounts, minor pain)
    If pCloud lets me create and alias, I will continue to use it. Otherwise I am happy not to connect using the plugin- unless the pCloud account was used exclusively for WP backups.

p.s: I turned off 2FA for my testing- maybe turning it on might give different results wrt login. ??

Which reminded me- I think Koofr also has a WP plugin??

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Woop woop! Backup run successfully on a fresh install @vyas :)

Seems like it works with Subdomains, too. It just can't create a folder on pCloud if your wp install is at smth like domain.com/folder or subdomain.com/folder. That is to say it can only deal with subdomain.domain.com or domain.com format to create folders on pCloud :D

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

Worked like a charm. I can see that a weekly/daily/monthly schedule is also possible. Overall I Like it, minimal learning curve.

However,
    After testing I unlinked the account- because I had to link using the same login + PW as my main account. (PW changed promptly at pCloud, though I had to unlink and re-link a couple of other accounts, minor pain)
    If pCloud lets me create and alias, I will continue to use it. Otherwise I am happy not to connect using the plugin- unless the pCloud account was used exclusively for WP backups.

p.s: I turned off 2FA for my testing- maybe turning it on might give different results wrt login. ??

Which reminded me- I think Koofr also has a WP plugin??

Got it to work now, too. What do you mean when you say you had to use your main account? I only have one pCloud account (no family sharing), so wasn't really an issue. I use Google Authentication to log on to pCloud. Worked like a charm :)

Afaik Koofr didn't have it's own wp backup plugin. There was just a third party plugin that supported it iirc (didn't like the plugin, though): https://koofr.eu/blog/posts/how-to-backup-your-wordpress-site-to-koofr-with-webdav

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

@vyas said:

Same! Gonna get their lifetime now.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

• pCloud 500GB $59 https://stacksocial.com/sales/pcloud-premium-lifetime-subscription

Any better deal out there

Thanked by (2)Ympker ElonBezos

@sonic said:
    pCloud 500GB $59 https://stacksocial.com/sales/pcloud-premium-lifetime-subscription

Any better deal out there

That sounds pretty good. Didn't realize they were on Stacksocial. I bought the 500$ LTD "on sale" for like 100$ iirc

• InternxtInternxt Services Provider

Although this post is not about us but would like to know that if there is enough demand for wordpress plugin to backup then we may also consider adding it to our offering.

Internxt.com - Zero Knowledge End to End Encryption - Privacy Focused Cloud Storage
    Internxt Send - Encrypt and send files in total privacy

edited July 2022

@Internxt said:
    Although this post is not about us but would like to know that if there is enough demand for wordpress plugin to backup then we may also consider adding it to our offering.

I'd definitely love this and I am sure many would agree :)

Would be especially great because it would allow us to store e2e encrypted backups out of the box which is perfect for sensitive data (e.g. database..).

I'd assume there will most certainly be demand for your WordPress plugin if you publish it (maybe run some ads for it, too).
    Just about 40% of all websites these days are powered by WordPress iirc. So there's a huge market for it, too.

https://trends.builtwith.com/cms/WordPress

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Internxt
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited July 2022

@Internxt said:

I'll most probably be very sceptical and critical, but a good backup script is always welcome.
    Especially if it can (be configured to) backup the entire WP directory with all the sub-directories, not just the WP-related files.
    Additional kudos for providing a standard ("universally" readable) format DB export and file save, so that even if the script goes to oblivion, the backups can still be "manually" imported.

Edit:
    as @tridinebandim said - (S)FTP storage backup upload, automated scheduling and all.

Oh, and make it 100% free! :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker tridinebandim

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @Internxt said: Although this post is not about us but would like to know that if there is enough demand for wordpress plugin to backup then we may also consider adding it to our offering.

if not all, most of the free backup solutions just backups to root folder.

we need more free plugins which have more cloud backups options for free.

just make one and maintain, there will be users...

at the end i ll try to copy paste some cloud backup scripts frankenstein style in a plugin and throw it to github

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • we need more free plugins which have more cloud backups options for free.

Open source (paid is better!) pr ferred

• InternxtInternxt Services Provider
    edited July 2022

There are lots of things we are considering for Internxt to make it more exciting for our users. It seems wordpress backup plugin could be one among them.

Internxt.com - Zero Knowledge End to End Encryption - Privacy Focused Cloud Storage
    Internxt Send - Encrypt and send files in total privacy