"Semi-Dedicated" vs "Virtual Metal" - Which sounds better?

MannDudeMannDude Hosting Provider

While we work on some major website design updates and product stuff, I can't decide which term I prefer for 100% dedicated resources on a KVM VPS.

"Semi-Dedicated" is old, and it's known. I think people know what to expect with it.

Bare-metal is a relatively newer term to describe dedicated servers / hardware. So it seems fitting that, "Virtual Metal" be used to described a virtualized instance of fully dedicated hardware.

So, what sounds more appealing to you? Is there a different term that you prefer to describe this type of service?

Semi Dedicated vs Bare Metal
  1. Which sounds better?29 votes
    1. Semi Dedicated / Semi-Dedicated
      34.48%
    2. Virtual Metal / Virtual-Metal
      34.48%
    3. Something else (Suggestion in comments)
      31.03%

[ IncogNET LLC ] - Privacy By Design
We believe that privacy and freedom of expression are two very important things, so we offer solutions to accessing and publishing content safely.
[ USA: Liberty Lake, WA | Kansas City, MO | Allentown, PA ] [EU: Naaldwijk, NL ] [ CL Shared | KVM VPS | VPN | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names ]

Comments

• @MannDude said: 100% dedicated resources on a KVM VPS

I have always thought the term for such services would be Virtual Dedicated Server(s) (VDS).

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Why not go the way of naming stuff that most big companies seem todo. Name it something completely random buy vaugly similar for shits and explain it no where on your website. Ie micro alloy flex virt enterprise

Thanked by (3)hornet pikachu Ympker

Recommended hosts:
    Letbox, Data ideas, Hetzner

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

+1 for VDS

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

I personally prefer if it clearly spells out "dedicated cores" instead.

But yeah if you have to label it - VDS

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • Avoid support traffic and give your product a name where most users know what to expect and what not.

• Semi Dedicated is a shared hosting marketing term for accounts hosted on a server that hosts a lot lesser number of accounts as compared to a general shared hosting server.

In case of VPS, RAM and Storage are already supposed to be dedicated, so you could call your service Compute-Optimized or VDS like many others have suggested.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @james50a said:
    Why not go the way of naming stuff that most big companies seem todo. Name it something completely random buy vaugly similar for shits and explain it no where on your website. Ie micro alloy flex virt enterprise

I read this initially as "flex dirt enterprise." Haha!

Anyhow, as someone outside of the commercial/vendor end of the industry, Virtual Metal sounds appealing.

• One of the LEB-based scammy companies used to just call them "dedicated servers". Server was hosted on an 8-core xeon and your "dedicated server" had 2 cores.

You could infringe on @francisco's copyright and call them slices.

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

• MannDudeMannDude Hosting Provider
    edited June 2022

Oh yeah, I forgot about the, "VDS" option. Just the three letter acronym doesn't really fit well with the updated site's menu design, but "Virtually Dedicated" may. I'll consider it. :)

[ IncogNET LLC ] - Privacy By Design
    We believe that privacy and freedom of expression are two very important things, so we offer solutions to accessing and publishing content safely.
    [ USA: Liberty Lake, WA | Kansas City, MO | Allentown, PA ] [EU: Naaldwijk, NL ] [ CL Shared | KVM VPS | VPN | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names ]

• @MannDude said:
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the, "VDS" option. Just the three letter acronym doesn't really fit well with the updated site's menu design, but "Virtually Dedicated" may. I'll consider it. :)

Just as a grammar point, "Virtual Dedicated" is the correct thing. "Virtually Dedicated" means nearly but not quite dedicated.

• +1 VDS

Thanked by (1)MannDude