Idling VPS

Hi guys, how are you? It is quite long time since I active on LES discussion. I would like to know your suggestion regarding to VPS services I have, around 13+ VPS, that is idling for most of the time.

I did not have enough time to operate and manage the server, I am planning to not renew some of the services. Do you have any better ideas to my plan?

Regards,
Choco

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

Thanked by (3)pikachu Ympker Ganonk

Comments

• What do you intend to do with these servers? That's what I'd ask myself if I were in your shoes.

If you're just lacking time for sysadmin tasks, I suggest you write ansible playbooks and have them deploy/update your stuff automatically.

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt
  • @chocolateshirt said:
    Hi guys, how are you? It is quite long time since I active on LES discussion. I would like to know your suggestion regarding to VPS services I have, around 13+ VPS, that is idling for most of the time.

I did not have enough time to operate and manage the server, I am planning to not renew some of the services. Do you have any better ideas to my plan?

Regards,
    Choco

Any great deals? Transfer to me if you don't have time to play with them :D

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited June 2022

i'm in similar situation, and plan to transfer them out.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• I will let expire my VPS's and switch over to OVH soyoustart dedicated for 22€ mo

Thanked by (2)hmo chocolateshirt
  • @cybertech said:
    i'm in similar situation, and plan to transfer them out.

It’ll be the largest transfer thread in history 😆

• Put yabs on cron. All my idle vps has nice little cron with constant yabs. Milk those servers if they don'tha e purpose

• Cancel idling servers and free up the resources to those who need them.

Thanked by (2)chocolateshirt wankel

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:
    Cancel idling servers and free up the resources to those who need them.

Killing 90% of hosts here with one comment, akin to the Thanos clicking of his fingers.... Savage and brutal on all fronts..... 😛

• Save your money and cancel or transfer out. I am doing the same.

• If you are short of money, definitely cancel them.
    • If you are still financially ok and would like to support the provider, you can consider still renewing them.
    Thanked by (2)chocolateshirt wankel
  • I cancelled most of my idling VPSs and I'm currently keeping and collecting the "rare" ones, supporting low-profile providers :smiley:

By "rare" I mean custom deals and from providers that don't or haven't been posting any deals on any of the forums for many years.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @PulsedMedia said:
    IRC idling? That's a good use, right? ;)

Yes, that works too :smiley:

Some time ago IdleRPG was a thing on IRC and I think some of them are still "playing" that today.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @chris said:

@yoursunny said:

Killing 90% of hosts here with one comment, akin to the Thanos clicking of his fingers.... Savage and brutal on all fronts..... 😛

VPS is a limited resource.
    For example, GreenCloudVPS has 750 VPS in Singapore DC2.
    Many people are on the wait list.
    If you have one but are not using it, you should cancel it, so that the next person can have it.

Every year you idle a VPS, a kid dies.
    The electricity that could have been used to purify drinking water for the kid is spent on powering the host node of your VPS.

• Definitely offer them for transfer - chances are those offers won't be repeated again.

• @yoursunny said:

@chris said:

@yoursunny said:

If you have one but are not using it, you should cancel it, so that the next person can have it.

The electricity that could have been used to purify drinking water for the kid is spent on powering the host node of your VPS.

I'm getting my sign and coming to protest LES HQ 😛

• What to do with a VPS that's powerful has low storage?

Team push-ups!

• @Astro said:
    What to do with a VPS that's powerful has low storage?

calc_pi --decimals 2m

• @tetech said:

@Astro said:

calc_pi --decimals 2m

What if he doesn't have enough storage to store the result? :p

• @ralf said:

@tetech said:

@Astro said:

calc_pi --decimals 2m

What if he doesn't have enough storage to store the result? :p

calc_pi --decimals 2m > /dev/null

• edited June 2022

@yoursunny said: For example, GreenCloudVPS has 750 VPS in Singapore DC2.

This is a terrible idea, the provider sells more to cut the price because he knows that some will be idle, if everyone starts using their servers, they will become very slow and everyone will suffer. There has to be a balance

Thanked by (2)hmo chocolateshirt
  • @Amadex said:
    I will let expire my VPS's and switch over to OVH soyoustart dedicated for 22€ mo

Do you know if theres a licensing for windows machines or they just don't care?

• @Mulder said:

@yoursunny said: For example, GreenCloudVPS has 750 VPS in Singapore DC2.

This is a terrible idea, the provider sells more to cut the price because he knows that some will be idle, if everyone starts using their servers, they will become very slow and everyone will suffer. There has to be a balance

Price should assume every server is actively used, at least half of the time.
    Decrease the density and grant dedicated resources.
    Say no to idling.

Thanked by (2)ralf chocolateshirt

• InternxtInternxt Services Provider

To OG, install Grafana and then monitor other idling servers from that. You can create interesting combinations and can actually enjoy stats for a while.

Thanked by (2)chocolateshirt pikachu

Internxt.com - Zero Knowledge End to End Encryption - Privacy Focused Cloud Storage
    Internxt Send - Encrypt and send files in total privacy

• Whoa, I did not expect a lot of reply.

@stevewatson301 said:
    What do you intend to do with these servers? That's what I'd ask myself if I were in your shoes.

If you're just lacking time for sysadmin tasks, I suggest you write ansible playbooks and have them deploy/update your stuff automatically.

After shifting job to mining sector I could not continue with my hobby to play with VPS. Some of it have usage and some are idling. I think I will learn ansible playbooks in the future.

@sonic said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Regards,
    Choco

Any great deals? Transfer to me if you don't have time to play with them :D

Some of idling VPS, mostly storage server because I already moved all of it to dropbox and onedrive, in case somebody interested:

• PHP-Friends Schnupperspecial 2021 (VDS) 2 vCPU / 80 GB SSD / 8 GB RAM / 20 TB BW / Frankfurt / 29 Nov 2022 ~ €50 / yr
    • HostHatch Black Friday 2020 (Storage) 1 vCPU / 500 GB HDD + SSD / 1 GB RAM / 2 TB BW / London / 29 Nov 2022 ~ $22 / yr
    • HostHatch Black Friday 2020 (Storage) 1 vCPU / 2 TB HDD + SSD / 4 GB RAM / 6 TB BW / Amsterdam / 30 Nov 2022 ~ $40 / yr
    • GreenCloudVPS (Storage) 1 vCPU / 500 GB HDD + SSD / 2 GB RAM / 1 TB BW / Singapore / 3 Sept 2022 ~ $30 / yr

@legendary said:
    Put yabs on cron. All my idle vps has nice little cron with constant yabs. Milk those servers if they don'tha e purpose

Nice idea!

@Internxt said:
    To OG, install Grafana and then monitor other idling servers from that. You can create interesting combinations and can actually enjoy stats for a while.

Thank you for your suggestion. I already installed Prometheus + Grafana on my VirMach VPS, monitor all of my VPS.

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @chocolateshirt said: dropbox and onedrive, in case somebody interested:

I am more interested these. :) Which plan you are using?

Action and Reaction in history

• @yoursunny said:

@chris said:

@yoursunny said:

Wow, I guess that you really want to make us all feel bad/guilty for having an idling VPS! :#

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• edited July 2022

Probably many of us are in a similar psychological boat:

• We have one or more good deals on VPSes that we're reluctant to give up because it's not clear when such deals will appear again (especially in the present economic context!)
    • There's often also a psychological element of wanting to support certain providers, the idea being that a lightly used promotional VPS helps a provider more than no VPS at all

Nevertheless, we should try to remain sober, and if (e.g.) it were a choice between eating and not keeping an idling VPS (on the one hand) and keeping an idling VPS and not eating (on the other), hopefully we would know which option to choose :)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @angstrom said:
    Nevertheless, we should try to remain sober, and if (e.g.) it were a choice between eating and not keeping an idling VPS (on the one hand) and keeping an idling VPS and not eating (on the other), hopefully we would know which option to choose :)

VPS baby! I need to go on a diet anyway.

Thanked by (2)angstrom chocolateshirt
  • @chocolateshirt

I’d love to take this off your hands if you’ll allow it

HostHatch Black Friday 2020 (Storage) 1 vCPU / 2 TB HDD + SSD / 4 GB RAM / 6 TB BW / Amsterdam / 30 Nov 2022 ~ $40 / yr

Team push-ups!