Hetzner now has ARM servers

iandkiandk Hosting ProviderOG

Hetzner introduced a new ARM range with Ampere CPUs :)

https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/matrix-rx

AMD EPYC / NVMe / 10GBPs KVM in Frankfurt - https://v6node.com
Looking for an unbeatable AMD EPYC Baremetal Server in Frankfurt? Drop me a PM

Thanked by (1)Xenic

Comments

• 80 cores for €201 sounds absolutely amazing!

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited July 2022

again, ARM VPS when?

• Interesting, let's see how it goes. They had ARM dedis before using Hardkernel boards if I remember, but those were later phased out. Interesting that FI is the only location available. I guess that is because electricity costs in DE are through the roof now. They usually do DE first.

The server chip is impressive, comparable to an EPYC 7742, or maybe a 32 core Threadripper or a little better. I'd be interested in seeing it in Hetzner's Cloud platform and I imagine they will offer it there sooner or later.

Benchmarks: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ampere-altra-q80&num=1

Thanked by (1)ralf
  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG
  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

@vyas said:

@Abdullah said:
    Nice.

ARM NATs?

haha
    Proxmox doesn't support arm yet, maybe they will do now going forward

• yokowasisyokowasis Services Provider

@ralf said:
    80 cores for €201 sounds absolutely amazing!

is it as good as it sounds ? is this currently the best price per performance ratio on the world ?

• @yokowasis said: is it as good as it sounds ? is this currently the best price per performance ratio on the world ?

It is pretty good but it's not like having an 80 core Ryzen if that's what you are thinking. It's maybe about like a 40 core Ryzen. For around the same price you can get two 16 core Ryzen boxes from Hetzner so unless you need everything on 1 box, that may be an ok alternative. Ampere's advantage is in power consumption to performance ratio. Electricity is a big part of the cost of running a compute-bound production server.

I don't really know what I'd do with this as a dedi customer. It's more interesting if I have 1000s of them, or alternatively as a cloud product, maybe running so-called serverless functions.

Thanked by (2)lentro nick_
  • @willie said: get two 16 core Ryzen boxes from

but for ARM price you will get 2xRyzen 16 (if 2xRyzen equals 1xARM), 128 + 128 RAM, 2x4 TB + 2x TB vs just ARM with 128+2x1TB.

• "standard" x64 (not ARM architecture).
  • @SashkaPro said:

@willie said: get two 16 core Ryzen boxes from

but for ARM price you will get 2xRyzen 16 (if 2xRyzen equals 1xARM), 128 + 128 RAM, 2x4 TB + 2x TB vs just ARM with 128+2x1TB.

• "standard" x64 (not ARM architecture).

So the Arm costs and arm and a leg !!

Thanked by (1)Talistech
  • ReliableSite_RadicReliableSite_Radic Hosting Provider

@yokowasis said:

@ralf said:
    80 cores for €201 sounds absolutely amazing!

is it as good as it sounds ? is this currently the best price per performance ratio on the world ?

No, a Ryzen 5950X offers similar real world performance.

• @Abdullah said:

@vyas said:

@Abdullah said:
    Nice.

ARM NATs?

haha
    Proxmox doesn't support arm yet, maybe they will do now going forward

Actually - there is a port of Proxmox for ARM - https://github.com/pimox/pimox7, it is 'dedicated' for Raspberry Pi, but i got it working on OCI ampere instance some time ago

Thanked by (2)Abdullah ElonBezos
  • @vyas said:

To be a dick, a leg is an arm essentially. They are the same although I certainly prefer women's legs over men's.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Think one overlooked win here is that ARM cores seem less sensitive to the whole host of branch prediction vulns

• As (production/commercial) servers, is there information about their real-world use? Is there information about their power/efficiency? I am just curious, as I have only messed with SBC ARM computers.

• @deank said:

@vyas said:

To be a dick, a leg is an arm essentially. They are the same although I certainly prefer women's legs over men's.

Preferably shaved

• DanielDaniel OG
    edited July 2022

@havoc said:
    Think one overlooked win here is that ARM cores seem less sensitive to the whole host of branch prediction vulns

They're RISC processors instead of CISC, so the optimizations are very different. They probably have their own issues in other areas, they just haven't been found yet.

@willie said: For around the same price you can get two 16 core Ryzen boxes from Hetzner so unless you need everything on 1 box, that may be an ok alternative.

This will change over time as prices change... I'd guess that the ARM servers won't go up in price as quickly as other servers, given the lower power consumption.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Der Bauer did a video on this which appears to be shot at hetzner dc

Thanked by (1)iandk