Reliable VPS provider with 6GB+ RAM, 50GB+ SSD

I'm looking for:

• 6GB RAM. 8GB+ ideal
  • 50GB+ SSD. NVMe SSD if possible
  • 1TB monthly transfer
  • Reliable
  • Anywhere in the world, but west coast USA (e.g. Los Angeles, San Jose, Fremont, Seattle, etc) is best.
  • Not a 10-year-old Xeon processor
  • Ideally <$10/month, but flexible if it's a very good provider.

By "reliable" I mean a host that has been in business for a long time, isn't just one person running it in their free time, has quick support response times for critical issues, posts notifications about network/server outages, and catches server downtime before I do.

I've used Hetzner Cloud in the past and they were good, but I'm interested in other opinions.

I found PHP-Friends and their pricing seems unusually good? They're in Germany rather than USA, but their "vServer S SSD G3 AMD" has 2 dedicated cores, 10GB RAM, 80GB NVMe, guaranteed IO performance, for €6.71 with a 12-month contract (ex VAT). I emailed their support asking if they speak English (to see how fast they reply) and they replied in less than 2 minutes. I've seen positive posts about them on this forum - would you recommend them?

Comments

• Yes, PHP-Friends and Avoro are great choices. They're the same company. But what's different is you're in a contract with PHP-Friends, meaning you have to let them know in advance (14 days) before cancelling a service with them (you don't have to do this with Avoro). Of course, I highly recommend them for production.

• @Daniel said: would you recommend them

Yes

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

yes they good and professional. i prefer Avoro but i recall their disk size is usually smaller

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• PHP-Friends overall but also

GreencloudVPS for the location you are looking for

Thanked by (1)Daniel
  • BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

Get a slice.

For production sites, I usually go with Vultr, DO, UpCloud, Linode, BuyVM, etc.

I never had to contact support of the above anytime (don't even know how their support UI/UX looks like) except BuyVM - related to their shared hosting (in 2020) which was due to one of my scripts causing the problems actually.

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

• Try @Shakib - the Killer KVM-6C is normally $14 per month but was recently down to $120/yr for Independence Day. Has 6GB RAM and 6 super fast cores. I would have upgraded because of the great deal, but stayed with the KVM-3C which is plenty for my needs.

He also has LXC-6G with 6GB but only 3 cores and LXC not KVM. But that has been on offer comfortably within your price range a few times now.

Thanked by (1)Shakib
  • DanielDaniel OG
    edited August 2022

@BlaZe said: Get a slice.

I used to use BuyVM - in fact I was a customer for 9 years from way back when they had servers in San Jose with ColoCrossing - but they're outside my price range this time. I also ended up hitting issues with high iowait and slower network performance in the last few months I was with them.

Over the years I also encountered a few issues that couldn't be resolved until Francisco was awake and had time to look into it, which isn't ideal.

• Does anyone here have opinions on GreenCloudVPS, good or bad? They have some "budget servers" available for preorder, in my budget.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited August 2022

@Daniel said:
    Does anyone here have opinions on GreenCloudVPS, good or bad? They have some "budget servers" available for preorder, in my budget.

Daniel

Been with them for over 1 year. Our main podcast site was hosted on Singapore 🇸🇬 location- fast and friendly support-specifically, even for low priority ticket 🎟 (I marked them as such)
    -Reactivating cancellation of order( hello, Automation”)
    -restore access to solusvm after changing account email

Uptime has been good, I have storage server 1tb Singapore and 2 KVMs 🇬🇧 Singapore 🇸🇬 All with solid uptime and would recommend them.

p.s: PHP Friends English language responses are better drafted than many other providers. Sometimes maybe too detailed :-)

On a separate note

@InceptionHosting any exciting offers for Anthony’s upcoming Birthday?? 🎉🎂🎁🎊🎈

Finally if all else fails there is PDiddy. I understand your fellow Aussie has set up an offer tracking site. Heck you also get 2x bandwidth for “free”.

No thanks

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@Daniel said:
    Does anyone here have opinions on GreenCloudVPS, good or bad? They have some "budget servers" available for preorder, in my budget.

they are good so far about a year for me. i like them.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited August 2022

We do meet your hardware requirements (2 vCPU/10GB Memory/60GB NVMe in LA for $8/month) but unfortunately I don't think we meet your reliability/support requirements since we're still new/are only a 2 person operation :'(

Netcup might meet your requirements - 8.75 euro for 6vCPU/8GB Memory/160GB SSD in Europe. They also have phone support so you can probably call them up if something happens, but I don't think it's 24/7.

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• edited August 2022

PHP-Friends is great for the price, but your part about "posts notifications about network/server outages" is tricky. Sometimes you may get unexpected downtime when they move your VPS around or doing other stuff. And when asked why they didn't post a notice in advance about scheduled maintenance, they literally say that they can't be bothered for such a cheap service. Fair enough, I guess, and I still have services with them.

GreenCloudVPS is also nice for the price and I have quite a few VPSes with them, but again, part about "posts notifications about network/server outages" sometimes may not work well, since they have so many locations with different upstreams. I get a few minutes network downtime here and there according to Hetrix and Elastic Heartbeat that are never shown in their status page, but nothing critical and support is always there 24/7.

Netcup root-server is another great option but you may have to pass initial fraud check via phone call or sending ID. Locations are Germany and Austria only unfortunately,

And there is always Contabo :)

Thanked by (1)nick_
  • Maybe @UltraVPS has something. I actually never had downtime with my VPS (much smaller) there, Düsseldorf, DE, IIRC ... Support was very responsive.

• @cyberpunk said: Sometimes you may get unexpected downtime when they move your VPS around or doing other stuff. And when asked why they didn't post a notice in advance about scheduled maintenance, they literally say that they can't be bothered for such a cheap service.

The fuck? I guess time to search for new host after my current contract will run out.

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• I ended up signing up for a VPS with GreenCloudVPS, since they have good reviews on here and OGF, and their live + ticket support are both very responsive. I'm a bit worried about the CPU usage quotas in the Terms of Service but I guess we'll see how that goes. It's a preorder so I don't actually have the VPS yet.

I'll keep some of the other providers mentioned here in mind in case it doesn't work out.

@cyberpunk said: And there is always Contabo :)

I was using Contabo for a while and was pleasantly surprised by the performance of their US-based servers. The SSD ones can be very slow but the newer NVMe servers are far far faster.

• @Daniel said:
    I'm a bit worried about the CPU usage quotas in the Terms of Service but I guess we'll see how that goes.

I've not had any issues with my VPS from them in regards to CPU usage, and I am definitely not letting mine idle. I would expect if you're hitting close to the limit but not actively trying to hurt your neighbors on the node they'll probably just nudge you and ask you to try and fix it, rather than just power off your VPS without warning. So, I wouldn't sweat it! I've had great experience with their support staff and they are quite flexible and friendly.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• Another vote for GreenCloudVPS.

I was affected by an involucration on their NL nodes. I run a CI worker on it that occasionally utilizes 100% CPU and I’ve been fine so far.

• edited August 2022

@Jab said:

@cyberpunk said: Sometimes you may get unexpected downtime when they move your VPS around or doing other stuff. And when asked why they didn't post a notice in advance about scheduled maintenance, they literally say that they can't be bothered for such a cheap service.

The fuck? I guess time to search for new host after my current contract will run out.

It probably sounded a bit worse than it actually is from my point of view, plus don't forget that there is always language barrier with non-English hosts. Also to be clear, it happened to me just once.

But the fact is that one day in the middle of the night my VDS went offline because they decided to move it somewhere else, then I was told that it is still within SLA of 99,9% and for that price they wont schedule downtime in advance because I quote "that's just not compatible with our pricing". Its their business after all and seems they are pretty good at it, considering how they often are completely sold out, so I just accepted it :)

• edited August 2022

@cyberpunk said:
    It probably sounded a bit worse than it actually is from my point of view, plus don't forget that there is always language barrier with non-English hosts.

But the fact is that one day in the middle of the night my VDS went offline because they decided to move it somewhere else (downtime was about 20 mins and the server was actually forced to shut down), then I was told that it is still within SLA of 99,9% and for that price they wont schedule downtime in advance because I quote "that's just not compatible with our pricing". And that was not an unexpected emergency case, that was I quote again "routine measure for optimal resource balancing among the host systems". Fun fact is that I never complained about my VDS to them and after this downtime I ended up on slightly worse node (yet still worth the price to be fair). Its their business after all and seems they are pretty good at it, considering how they often are completely sold out, so I just accepted it :)

I appreciate the fact you shared this because everything else I've heard about PHP Friends is that they're wonderful and can do no evil and I was thinking of prioritising choosing them over Hetzner when I next need a load of resources.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no good justification for moving people around to a different node unless they ask for it, or they're the ones causing trouble, it's an emergency, it's a planned upgrade, or if it's some other planned notice they can do the courtesy of telling you in advance.

Particularly as PHP Friends claim to give you dedicated resources, including cores, there should be no reason to move people around at all, except for hardware failure.

• edited August 2022

@ralf said:

@cyberpunk said:
    It probably sounded a bit worse than it actually is from my point of view, plus don't forget that there is always language barrier with non-English hosts.

But the fact is that one day in the middle of the night my VDS went offline because they decided to move it somewhere else (downtime was about 20 mins and the server was actually forced to shut down), then I was told that it is still within SLA of 99,9% and for that price they wont schedule downtime in advance because I quote "that's just not compatible with our pricing". And that was not an unexpected emergency case, that was I quote again "routine measure for optimal resource balancing among the host systems". Fun fact is that I never complained about my VDS to them and after this downtime I ended up on slightly worse node (yet still worth the price to be fair). Its their business after all and seems they are pretty good at it, considering how they often are completely sold out, so I just accepted it :)

I appreciate the fact you shared this because everything else I've heard about PHP Friends is that they're wonderful and can do no evil and I was thinking of prioritising choosing them over Hetzner when I next need a load of resources.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no good justification for moving people around to a different node unless they ask for it, or they're the ones causing trouble, it's an emergency, it's a planned upgrade, or if it's some other planned notice they can do the courtesy of telling you in advance.

Particularly as PHP Friends claim to give you dedicated resources, including cores, there should be no reason to move people around at all, except for hardware failure.

To be fair I don't think they meant bad or done anything evil, that's why I actually edited a bit my initial answer. Everything they did fit their ToS/SLA, so can't really complain. They have their niche and are pretty successful in it. I'm just really not happy when providers that advertise in LowEnd markets use "come on, did you see the price, what did you actually expect?" as a response. Even tho I totally respect their rights to run their business as they wish :)

• @cyberpunk said:
    I'm just really not happy when providers that advertise in LowEnd markets use "come on, did you see the price, what did you actually expect?" as a response.

Yeah, I agree. They are in complete control of the price, so it's hard to use that as justification, but in any case that's unrelated to how they schedule maintenance. If they have the attitude that they can just take machines down on a whim rather than giving notice and doing it the next day, they're treating it as they would a personal machine not a client machine, and I'd not expect the rest of the business to be managed any better either.

Thanked by (1)cyberpunk