HostMantis to migrate customers to "DynamicHosting.ca"

Comments

• so I finally decided to pull a plug from the HM and switched to myw.pt, and I'm so glad I did bcos the new support staff is just the worst. they have stereotypical replies like send us MTR and all while their uptime monitor was showing that service was down.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited August 2022

@debaser said:
    I didn’t wait and actually choose a local provider to migrate my own stuff to. Paying yearly what I paid for 3 years at HostMantis, but that wasn’t gonna last anyway.

Migration was pretty easy: DirectAdmin-> DirectAdmin. I really love DA and hate CPanel with a passion, so having DA was a must. Luckily that has been the golden standard for Dutch budget hosters for about 15 years. So I had plenty to choose from.

Happy to hear migration was smooth. I migrated from HM to MyW.pt (Mike) a couple weeks ago already and everything went smooth, too. Website performance is great and everything works like a charm :)

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin MikePT
  • edited August 2022

I still with them, but it is looks like some-shit-cheap hosting now (with new management).
    In last month I have raised three tickets with them because my sites goes down (node "deprm60").

One of them was because Litespeed crashes and stop answering on 80&443 port queries.
    Two of them is because server /tmp folder is full.
    A lot of small downtimes at my night (regarding hetrixtools).

Yes, they replied on tickets in about 40 mins (slow, but acceptable) and fixing problem fast.

But c'mon.
    On my own VPS with my "shared hosting skills" (which nearly zero) uptime was much better than with "New Hostmantis".
    I paid ~$200/yr and want superb service (like with "old hostmantis").

Looks like guys don't know anything about how to prevent failures and fixes them with google after client create ticket.

Regretfully that great company and great service transforms to "even summerhost works better" service. :anguished:

edited August 2022

Fwiw, I also jumped ship, however I wouldn't call a 40 minute ticket reply "slow". Can recommend @MikePT hosting. You will be in good hands :)

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • @Ympker said: however I wouldn't call a 40 minute ticket reply "slow"

Yep, that's why i wrote "acceptable".
    I just compare with myself - if I see that hetrixtools report something goes wrong and project down I will check what is wrong with node asap.

I think that hosting providers have some monitoring system and get notification "oh, /tmp is 99% full" and do something.
    For today my site was down for 57 minutes for $200+/year.

And I think that /tmp will be full again in next three weeks. :(

So time to move. But still not decided, move to providers or give a try to DA and myself.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@SashkaPro said:

@Ympker said: however I wouldn't call a 40 minute ticket reply "slow"

Yep, that's why i wrote "acceptable".
    I just compare with myself - if I see that hetrixtools report something goes wrong and project down I will check what is wrong with node asap.

I think that hosting providers have some monitoring system and get notification "oh, /tmp is 99% full" and do something.
    For today my site was down for 57 minutes for $200+/year.

And I think that /tmp will be full again in next three weeks. :(

So time to move. But still not decided, move to providers or give a try to DA and myself.

You wrote "slow, but acceptable" mentioning "slow" first. Hence my comment.

Anyway, regarding your options, I found that a good shared hosting provider is more convenient than having to self-host and keep vps secured while performance is often also better out of the box when using a good shared host (as was HM in the past). You also save lots on licensing cost, because shared hosts are the ones paying for DA, JetBackup, MailChannels, Litespeed etc. So there's that. A VPS, ofc, gives you max. flexibility.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin SashkaPro
  • debaserdebaser OG
    edited August 2022

@SashkaPro said:

I self hosted a lot of sites, not for myself, friends and family. Nothing really important except maybe a local forum whit reasonable traffic.

After some years I grew tired of it. If you think a 40 minute wait is slow, you shouldn’t do it yourself. Because you will be your own provider and chances are, problems take a lot longer to solve than 40 minutes. A VPS or dedi provider won’t hold your hand and ticket reply times usually take a bit longer too.

I decided to go with shared hosting. Divided the sites over 2 providers (ALL-INKL and Hostmantis) and went one. The HM sites are now moved to a Dutch provider, the ALL-INKL sites are still going strong.

@debaser said:

@SashkaPro said:

I self hosted a lot of sites, not for myself, friends and family. Nothing really important except maybe a local forum whit reasonable traffic.

After some years I grew tired of it. If you think a 40 minute wait is slow, you shouldn’t do it yourself. Because you will be your own provider and chances are, problems take a lot longer to solve than 40 minutes. A VPS or dedi provider won’t hold your hand and ticket reply times usually take a bit longer too.

I decided to go with shared hosting. Divided the sites over 2 providers (ALL-INKL and Hostmantis) and went one. The HM sites are now moved to a Dutch provider, the ALL-INKL sites are still going strong.

ALL-INKL is the Victorinox in german web hosting business. They have been in business for an eternity and are rocksolid. Only thing, which is also why I don't use them right now, is that I grew fond of providers providing extra backups that can be restored with the click of a button (for convenience that's faster than restoring from external backups) and some DA/cPanel features, but mostly backups. AllInkl is prem :D

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin debaser
  • @Ympker said: You also save lots on licensing cost

Yeah, you right. But if it will be VPS than I do not need Cloudlinux (I am the only on server). My sites is quite old opencart that not using Litespeed features, so nginx+apache will be ok for me. Jetbackup since 5 version becomes trash for me and I backup my sites via whmbackupsolution (thanks bikegremlin for tutor). So, DA or even centminmod will be ok. Mailchannels yes, but I have mxroute. :)

@debaser said: VPS or dedi provider won’t hold

I already have dedi on hetzner network for my voip projects, and the main problem for me is that I do not need any handholding, site transfer or other stuff. Just provide me server with great uptime, that's all. This is exactly the reason why I don't self host anymore - my server need to reboot for security patches/kernel updates. With my current voip projects I can do reboot's safely at the night.
    If something goes wrong during server update I at least have night to fix problem somehow. And if sites will goes down for night it will be tragedy.
    So hostmantis till dynamic guys was great choice - a lot of money (for me) for zero headache.
    But now this is a lot of money for the same headache.

Will check Mike's project. I'm also considering ramnode. I have three weeks for this. :)

Thanks for the tips and discussion.

• @SashkaPro said:

Will check Mike's project. I'm also considering ramnode. I have three weeks for this. :)

Check the reviews on ramnode after they got acquired. Best wishes.

Thanked by (1)SashkaPro
  • @vyas said:

@SashkaPro said:

Check the reviews on ramnode after they got acquired. Best wishes.

Better to check out the other Mike @MikeA to compare.

• nullroutenullroute Hosting Provider

I removed my main site from HM, all others still work perfectly on HM, I've never had downtime in over 1 year and support still responds quickly.

https://purplehost.com.br - Reliable, secure and affordable game hosting.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@nullroute said:
    I removed my main site from HM, all others still work perfectly on HM, I've never had downtime in over 1 year and support still responds quickly.

It's a brand new provider as far as I'm concerned.
    IMO: it will take to the end of this year for things to get "settled" and only then could one assess what the service is really like (uptime, performance, security, and tech. support).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said: It's a brand new provider as far as I'm concerned.

about whom you talking? DynamicHosting.ca claims on their website that they over the market for 10 years already.
    I think that "settle-time" for experienced company/stuff should not be a problem...

Tonight hetrixtools reports downtime for site for 30 minutes (hopefully fixes by itself).

edited August 2022

@SashkaPro said:

@bikegremlin said: It's a brand new provider as far as I'm concerned.

about whom you talking? DynamicHosting.ca claims on their website that they over the market for 10 years already.
    I think that "settle-time" for experienced company/stuff should not be a problem...

Tonight hetrixtools reports downtime for site for 30 minutes (hopefully fixes by itself).

I'm talking about the service now offered/provided under the "HostMantis - a DynamicHosting company" brand.

Dynamic hosting didn't offer reseller hosting before, as far as I know. It's a new thing for them.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @bikegremlin said: Dynamic hosting didn't offer reseller hosting before, as far as I know. It's a new thing for them.

Got your idea.
    But I think that "cpanel is cpanel, da is da". So shared is shared, they should be experienced at least from tech side.

But looks like that don't get into tech side of HM (if it works - okay, if it's not - just fix on demand).

@SashkaPro said:

@bikegremlin said: Dynamic hosting didn't offer reseller hosting before, as far as I know. It's a new thing for them.

Got your idea.
    But I think that "cpanel is cpanel, da is da". So shared is shared, they should be experienced at least from tech side.

But looks like that don't get into tech side of HM (if it works - okay, if it's not - just fix on demand).

cPanel is cPanel, but not every cPanel reseller hosting is equally good.
    Knowledge, experience and a will to offer good service are all required.
    Some just don't really care about the latter, and don't care to bother to acquire the former.

• @SashkaPro said: And I think that /tmp will be full again in next three weeks

forget about what I said.

Today twice /tmp was full and then mariadb was down (total downtime 30 min +1h30min) while their hetrixtools says that "ah 100% uptime all is great".

Will move sites on next week.

Thanked by (2)Ympker MichaelCee
  • You do have to wonder how HM managed to keep things running so well, now DynamicHosting doesn't appear competent at all. Everything HM has is OVH as far as I recall so not like there is any significant change or issue with colo. By the sound of it, they are not monitoring things closely at all.

@Lee said:
    You do have to wonder how HM managed to keep things running so well, now DynamicHosting doesn't appear competent at all. Everything HM has is OVH as far as I recall so not like there is any significant change or issue with colo. By the sound of it, they are not monitoring things closely at all.

It is my understanding that DH are migrating the infrastructure (at least that was the original plan).
    Not sure about the team - is everyone from HM getting replaced/fired.

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

Hey guys!

Thank you so much for the recommendations to signup for MyW! As a small business, we really appreciate it! :-)

Thanked by (3)bikegremlin Ympker flips
  • If someone still interested in my battle with Hostmantis:
    Good news: They resized /tmp partition from 4G to 10G.
    Bad news: That not helps. The free space fills up pretty quickly. At least they start monitoring it and clean partition without my ticket.

Meanwhile: I tried Shock hosting (awesome support and billing guys, but not as fast as HM imo because of SSD not NVME)
    I tried ExtraVM (awesome support, my sites responding as fast as on HM but OLS in EU location, will wait for new node with LiteSpeed Enterprise and definitely will check Mike's project again).

Who else can I try? MDD - US location only (EU is must), siteground not working with Russians, Knownhost only two US locations.
    Maybe brixly.uk (yeah I checked BikeGremlin review, thanks to him)...

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
    edited September 2022

@SashkaPro said:
    If someone still interested in my battle with Hostmantis:
    Good news: They resized /tmp partition from 4G to 10G.
    Bad news: That not helps. The free space fills up pretty quickly. At least they start monitoring it and clean partition without my ticket.

Meanwhile: I tried Shock hosting (awesome support and billing guys, but not as fast as HM imo because of SSD not NVME)
    I tried ExtraVM (awesome support, my sites responding as fast as on HM but OLS in EU location, will wait for new node with LiteSpeed Enterprise and definitely will check Mike's project again).

Who else can I try? MDD - US location only (EU is must), siteground not working with Russians, Knownhost only two US locations.
    Maybe brixly.uk (yeah I checked BikeGremlin review, thanks to him)...

MyW offers a German location (Hetzner servers).

Brixly - I'm not 100% sure, but as far as I remember, UK only (so, not EU).

The only Serbian provider I'd host with, MyCity Hosting, uses Hetzner (in Germany also), but doesn't do reseller, only shared (and VPS), and they use MyVesta control panel (so no DirectAdmin or cPanel). The no-reseller is a deal breaker for me, apart from that, I have a few friends' sites running there and haven't received a website problem related call from them in years.

MyCity philosophy (as far as I could tell over the years, it's no marketing bullshit, the owner is a crazy geek whom I'd trust with keys to my apartment :) ):
    https://www.mycity-hosting.com/about-us/

And, yes, I have an affiliate for MyCity also - LOL :)
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/20735/shared-hosting-objasnjen/#6.0

They do support in English as well.

Having said all that - some things to consider:
    Must the server be in EU, or just Europe?
    The same question for the company registration (not sure about GDPR rules on that)?
    With that info, one can more easily decide (rule out the non-matching companies).

Edit:
    Regarding speed - NVMe is only one piece of the puzzle. CPU speed and server load play a big part.
    Brixly and HM (and MyCity but I didn't do any up-to-date benchmarks there) were blazing fast compared to most other options.
    But there are many other providers that are acceptably fast (and equally stable - but not as fast as the above-mentioned).

Thanked by (1)SashkaPro

• @bikegremlin said: MyW offers a German location

you correctly write about MyW that not suitable for clients sites.

@bikegremlin said: Brixly - I'm not 100% sure, but as far as I remember, UK only (so, not EU).

Nowadays they have DE location.

@bikegremlin said: Must the server be in EU, or just Europe?

The same question for the company registration (not sure about GDPR rules on that)?

I need to host sites for my clients.
    I am (and sites/clients) from Russia, and first rule if you doing business in Russia - all sites you MUST host outside Russia. :)
    So no GDPR or other stuff, just good latency for my location (DE is 70 ms, UK 80 ms, Finland 50 ms, LT 40 ms - all is great, but US is around 180+ ms and this is noticeable).

• vyasvyas OG
    edited September 2022

@bikegremlin said:

MyCity philosophy (as far as I could tell over the years, it's no marketing bullshit, the owner is a crazy geek whom I'd trust with keys to my apartment :) ):

Read it as crazy Greek. Wearing classes glasses* and reading again took care of that.

and they use MyVesta control panel

Interesting- but from what I see, Myvesta has a much smaller developer group and community, compared to say HestiaCP. Hope that MyCity have factored in that risk..

From MyVestaCP Documentation

You can host NodeJS apps

That is a good feature to have

*Warning: wearing glasses may not prevent typos.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker

@SashkaPro said:

@bikegremlin said: MyW offers a German location

you correctly write about MyW that not suitable for clients sites.

@bikegremlin said: Brixly - I'm not 100% sure, but as far as I remember, UK only (so, not EU).

Nowadays they have DE location.

@bikegremlin said: Must the server be in EU, or just Europe?

I need to host sites for my clients.
    I am (and sites/clients) from Russia, and first rule if you doing business in Russia - all sites you MUST host outside Russia. :)
    So no GDPR or other stuff, just good latency for my location (DE is 70 ms, UK 80 ms, Finland 50 ms, LT 40 ms - all is great, but US is around 180+ ms and this is noticeable).

In that case (Russian visitors and multiple websites), I'd try Brixly in Germany - they aren't perfect, but I don't know of a better option at the moment.

Thanked by (1)SashkaPro

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

Read it as crazy Greek. Wearing classes and reading again took care of that.

and they use MyVesta control panel

Interesting- but from what I see, Myvesta has a much smaller developer group and community, compared to say HestiaCP. Hope that MyCity have factored in that risk..

From MyVestaCP Documentation

You can host NodeJS apps

That is a good feature to have

MyVestaCP is run and maintained by the company owner, because they didn't like the lack of care from the other similar platforms (security patches primarily).

So it's practically a one-man-show CP - should be good for at least as long as Predrag runs his hosting company. :)

It's Debian only - to cut on the maintenance time, he built it for what he needs it for.

Thanked by (1)vyas

edited September 2022

HostMantis stats say their servers are up,

but my uptime stats (and the test-sites left there) are all down, for about half an hour now.

I suppose it's possible the TLS/SSL auto renewal failed, that could explain it.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• One 'canary in the coal mine' website I'm still pointing to a (DirectAdmin) server of theirs in the UK has been going down a lot too. Which is pretty surprising, as it's literally the same server hosted at OVH.

I thought it would be a coincidence, but apparently it's not.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

@debaser said:
    One 'canary in the coal mine' website I'm still pointing to a (DirectAdmin) server of theirs in the UK has been going down a lot too. Which is pretty surprising, as it's literally the same server hosted at OVH.

I thought it would be a coincidence, but apparently it's not.

Until today, my "canary" site was working flawlessly (as good as ever), with only one hick-up since the ownership change.

I've read some complaints recently about the service, and the tech. support quality going bad. I suppose I'd get to see that first hand now.