Heroku to end free tier

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited August 2022 in General

In case you were using this in the past, Heroku is going to shut down their free tier and purge inactive accounts.

I remember lots of YouTube and Udemy tutorials referring to Heroku free tier for their students to try things out)
https://techcrunch.com/2022/08/25/heroku-announces-plans-to-eliminate-free-plans-blaming-fraud-and-abuse/

Thanked by (1)Logano

Comments

• Heroku away! Till November end

Welcome to Big Company Saas.
    Next: Github pages, Cloudflare Pages (?)

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @vyas said:

Hmm, is that a fair comparison though? Both GH Pages & CF Pages are just for static sites. While they support generating static sites from things like Jekyll, can it really be compared to Heroku's offering?

Unless you're considering GH Actions and CF Workers/Functions as part of their "Pages" offering, then I suppose I could see what you mean.

Thanked by (1)Erisa
  • Free tier wasn’t much useful other than testing anyway. It’s on par with oracle cloud in terms of randomly banning free accounts.

Why?

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

The backlash on hn was sizable. Don't think this is a good move for them

• @havoc said:

hn?

@hornet said:

@havoc said:

hn?

The link above

• vyasvyas OG
    edited August 2022

@havoc said:

Freeloaders up in arms. 👍 Sandoz over at LET might have to look for alternative

@Decicus said:

@vyas said:

Hmm, is that a fair comparison though? Both GH Pages & CF Pages are just for static sites. While they support generating static sites from things like Jekyll, can it really be compared to Heroku's offering?

Unless you're considering GH Actions and CF Workers/Functions as part of their "Pages" offering, then I suppose I could see what you mean.

Underlying theme is a large Tech company buying a hobby-project-turned-developer-preference, CF maybe an exception

Thanked by (2)Decicus pikachu

@vyas said:

@havoc said:

Freeloaders up in arms. 👍

Thought so too, but that link above has a surprising number of paying customers that are pissed. Seems like paying ones get free allocation too & that gets used for testing environments

• @havoc said:

@vyas said:

@havoc said:

Freeloaders up in arms. 👍

Thought so too, but that link above has a surprising number of paying customers that are pissed. Seems like paying ones get free allocation too & that gets used for testing environments

Yes that is what I took away from the discussion too

• goodbye~heroku~

• and what is our alternatives. my proxy is on Heroku :(