DuckDuckGo email open beta

Looks like it is open for all now.

“ We’ve removed the waitlist for DuckDuckGo Email Protection, making the beta open for everyone to try. Get your @duck.com email address today!”

https://www.spreadprivacy.com/protect-your-inbox-with-duckduckgo-email-protection/

Thanked by (2)umzak feie

Comments

• This seems suspicious to me:

Signing up is easy: In the DuckDuckGo mobile app (iOS/Android), upgrade to the latest version, and then open Settings and select Email Protection. On desktop, navigate to duckduckgo.com/email while using a DuckDuckGo browser extension (Firefox/Chrome/Edge/Brave) or DuckDuckGo for Mac (beta).

Basically, you can't sign up for the e-mail unless you're running their code on your machine. I've no idea what their browser extension does, but I'm not sure I see the need to install it just to read a webpage.

Thanked by (1)zed
  • @ralf said:
    This seems suspicious to me:

Signing up is easy: In the DuckDuckGo mobile app (iOS/Android), upgrade to the latest version, and then open Settings and select Email Protection. On desktop, navigate to duckduckgo.com/email while using a DuckDuckGo browser extension (Firefox/Chrome/Edge/Brave) or DuckDuckGo for Mac (beta).

Basically, you can't sign up for the e-mail unless you're running their code on your machine. I've no idea what their browser extension does, but I'm not sure I see the need to install it just to read a webpage.

When I had signed up (waiting list era) - I used an old phone to sign up using the app, then deleted the app, did a factory reset on the phone. Till today, the @duck.com email seems to be working. Lets see for how long.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Why though when options like protonmail are available?

DDG is a bing re-skin basically...

Thanked by (1)hana
  • DuckDuckGo is an Internet company

• @havoc said:
    Why though when options like protonmail are available?

DDG is a bing re-skin basically...

Proton does email protection now?

@feie said:
    DuckDuckGo is an Internet company

Top commentary right there, gorgeous.

Thanked by (1)chimichurri
  • You will get a forwarding email address from [email protected] to [email protected]

• interesting new service :star: :star: :star:

• duckduckgo is crap , avoid them , they are not what they claim , its not privacy engine. its just another front end to BING and they share data with Microsoft too. they have nothing of their own just making money through bing ads in free and send fetch results from bing directly.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@zcorps said:
    duckduckgo is crap , avoid them , they are not what they claim , its not privacy engine. its just another front end to BING and they share data with Microsoft too. they have nothing of their own just making money through bing ads in free and send fetch results from bing directly.

A list of search engines that 100% rely on Bing for their results.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• really torn on this..

i like ddg overall, if only cuz fuck google, but this requires a browser plugin, you're now depending on ddg to keep an email address (or addresses) alive forever, and they're literally scanning all the emails to pull the tracking links.

that's a lot of room for plain old "oops" behaviors even if you trust them to be your friend forever (like.. we used to trust google).

maybe it's less appealing to me because i'm not primarily a mobile-internet guy? i hate using the web or email on my phones, much prefer doing "real things" on my actual pcs (giant monitors, actual keyboards, firefox+addons, and thunderbird that already removes trackers).

one old guy.

I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@zed said:
    really torn on this..

i like ddg overall, if only cuz fuck google, but this requires a browser plugin, you're now depending on ddg to keep an email address (or addresses) alive forever, and they're literally scanning all the emails to pull the tracking links.

that's a lot of room for plain old "oops" behaviors even if you trust them to be your friend forever (like.. we used to trust google).

maybe it's less appealing to me because i'm not primarily a mobile-internet guy? i hate using the web or email on my phones, much prefer doing "real things" on my actual pcs (giant monitors, actual keyboards, firefox+addons, and thunderbird that already removes trackers).

one old guy.

DDG is just another side of the same coin. Google VS Microsoft.

Brave search is probably the least bad for search.
    And MXroute for emails. :)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• Same is the case with ecosia and many of the “alternative “ browser apps