GDPRess - Eliminate external requests to increase GDPR Compliance

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited September 2022 in WordPress

Just found this cool plugin that lets you eliminate external requests and replaces/downloads remote stylesheets/fonts with a local copy.
I thought I'd share this as this will probably affect various people here :)

GDPRess is developed by the same guy who also created the OMGF (Oh My Google Fonts) plugin that allows to embed Google Fonts in a GDPR-friendly way.

WHAT DOES THIS PLUGIN DO?
GDPRess scans your homepage for 3rd party scripts (JS) and stylesheets (CSS), and:

Allows you to download or exclude them from downloading,
Parses the stylesheets for loaded font files, downloads them, and rewrites the stylesheet to use the local copies,
Makes sure the local copies of each script/stylesheet are used in your site’s frontend.
In short, it makes sure no requests are made to external/embedded/3rd party scripts and stylesheets.

Comments

• Nice, will give it a try.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@webcraft said:
    Nice, will give it a try.

Still very few downloads, but it is a well-known plugin author (I've used their OMGF in the past), so I'm inclined to give them a try.

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • @Ympker said:

@webcraft said:

Still very few downloads, but it is a well-known plugin author (I've used their OMGF in the past), so I'm inclined to give them a try.

Absolutely, the author is the reason I'm confident enough of the usefulness to make it worth giving it a try.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@webcraft said:

@Ympker said:

@webcraft said:

Absolutely, the author is the reason I'm confident enough of the usefulness to make it worth giving it a try.

Didn't get around to testing it just yet. Please post any feedback once you've tested it :)

Given that the plugin is not yet listed on the author's website, I'd assume he still considers it a "beta" thing.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Installed and clicked scan, nothing seemed to happen. Either nothing to find and no message saying that or something didn't work.

Great idea though and I look forward to using it if needed/when fixed

Thanked by (2)Ympker lapua
    edited September 2022

@MichaelCee said:
    Installed and clicked scan, nothing seemed to happen. Either nothing to find and no message saying that or something didn't work.

Are you using any external sources (you can check with CTRL+SHIFT+J and click the sources tab)?

But yeah, sounds like it's still somewhat beta-ish. I'm sure it'll become dope, though :)

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@Ympker said:

@MichaelCee said:

Are you using any external sources (you can check with CTRL+SHIFT+J and click the sources tab)?

But yeah, sounds like it's still somewhat beta-ish. I'm sure it'll become dope, though :)

Seems it's just Gravatar - which has just reminded me to disable it. Cheers!

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Looks OK to me on the first glance.
    Started testing it.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@bikegremlin said:
    Started testing it.

Does the scan work for you, then?

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Started testing it.

It found the Google fonts, and its AdSense code.
    So I'd say it works.

Thanked by (2)Ympker MichaelCee

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Started testing it.

It found the Google fonts, and its AdSense code.
    So I'd say it works.

Nice :D

• AdSense and Analytics is the only thing it has discovered but it also discovered documents hosted on the same webspace just at a .net domain instead of a .com domain. The solution was easy, I made those links relativ which is the better Form anyways.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

The plugin blocks GTmetrix for one. :)
    Returns it a 500 page.

Not sure how it plays with any search engines, but there is some problem. Disabling the plugin solves the problem.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@bikegremlin said:
    Returns it a 500 page.

Not sure how it plays with any search engines, but there is some problem. Disabling the plugin solves the problem.

Good to know. Best to report this but via wp plugin repository:)

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Returns it a 500 page.

Good to know. Best to report this but via wp plugin repository:)

Nah - just wait for the GDPR madness to pass...

:)

Thanked by (1)Ympker