Gitea package repository

Devs that hang around this place may have occasionally wished for a self hosted private package repository where you can build and add packages from your own code, and pull them in via the language’s package manager (npm for Node, or pip for Python) without having to publish them to npmjs, PyPI or similar.

I recently discovered Gitea added its own package repository some time ago. It may prove useful for others too.

https://docs.gitea.io/en-us/packages/overview/

Thanked by (2)saibal Wolveix

Comments

• WolveixWolveix OG
    edited September 2022

I was excited, thinking that they'd FINALLY added support for Docker images. Alas, I'll still have to use Harbor for now. Thanks for the mention regardless!

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@Wolveix said:

I was excited, thinking that they'd FINALLY added support for Docker images.

Else gitlab...the CI/CD integrates well so you can build the images nightly.

...resource heavy though

• I am using Gitlab.com for CI/CD and Docker Registry for containers. Gitea package registry seems to be a better replacement for Docker Registry.
    Or maybe I should use Gitlab Package registry in the first place.

• Gitlab is the best, Gitea, honestly, it is lightweight, but sucks ass, big time.

• @havoc said:
    Else gitlab...the CI/CD integrates well so you can build the images nightly.

...resource heavy though

I use GitHub for everything, and just use Gitea as a mirror :)

@quanhua92 said:
    I am using Gitlab.com for CI/CD and Docker Registry for containers. Gitea package registry seems to be a better replacement for Docker Registry.

Gitea registry doesn't support Docker inages. GitHub's Actions (CI/CD) is really good if you haven't tried it.

@Janevski said:
    Gitlab is the best, Gitea, honestly, it is lightweight, but sucks ass, big time.

What don't you like Gitea? It's incredibly performant, and works very well as a mirror (for backups). Would I use it as my only Git-based client? Definitely not. I like that both GitLab and GitHub have native CI/CD, as well as registries.