YABSdb submit, view and sort YABS results

corbpiecorbpie OG
edited September 2022 in General

YABSdb.com is my take on submitting YABS benchmark results. I have been working on this on and off for the past few weeks.

In recent releases of YABS you can now POST the results directly from running the test with the flag -s "url"

In this case running curl -sL yabs.sh | bash -s -- -s "https://yabsdb.com/add" will automatically submit the results to YABSdb this will return a claim URL for your account.

If you have an account there is also a URL with a key to automatically submit and claim. If you want an account message me and ill give you an invite code (no new LES users please).

I am working with this account based and a focus on trusted users YABS and verified YABS, anything posted and not claimed should not be seen as fact.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited September 2022

You should collaborate with mason or mikho and get some form of SSO up so that users can auth from LES to yabsdb.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited September 2022

Looking good! Nice :)
    I realize that's not what YABS originally does, but adding Provider Name to the benchmarks would be very helpful. Perhaps @Mason could add a single (optional) prompt for provider name to be added (if ENTER is pressed it is just skipped)? :)

Thanked by (1)corbpie
  • @stevewatson301 said:
    You should collaborate with mason or mikho and get some form of SSO up so that users can auth from LES to yabsdb.

Yep, I want result hashing or something so the results can be verified but is this sort of thing possible with open source?

• Nice just made a yabs entry. Best wishes

Thanked by (2)corbpie Ympker
  • edited September 2022

@corbpie said:

@stevewatson301 said:

Yep, I want result hashing or something so the results can be verified but is this sort of thing possible with open source?

I meant having individual users come up to you to request an account on yabsdb to be able to submit a result would just lead to nothing other than people just posting on the YABS thread without your website seeing any adoption. Therefore, you should discuss whether @Mason is open to the idea of having a LES sign-on feature to yabsdb.

Search results for "vanilla SSO" seem to only bring up methods of integrating third party services to log in to vanilla, so I think LES might have to roll their own, but the implementation on both sides is quite simple.

• Share a secret with the LES admins.
    • The registration page on your website redirects to lowendspirit.com/sso/yabsdb.
    • At the aforementioned page, LES admins host a page that inspects the current logged in user, and redirect back to yabsdb.com/login?user={username}&t={epoch_time}&token={token}. The token is hmac('sha256', secret, epoch_time + ',' + username).
    • At your end, reject any requests where the epoch time in the query string differs by more than a few minutes to prevent spoofing. Then calculate hmac('sha256', secret, epoch_time + ',' + username) from the values in the query string, and compare it with the provided token. If they are equal, log them in. Create an account for them too, if they are new on yabsdb.
    • Use claim URLs as usual to have users claim an entry.

Now, to address your question: attestation isn't possible as you need something running deep inside the OS like an anti-cheat driver or a vendor-provided component like the Play Integrity API. But folks posting YABS results on threads and the like already have this issue - they can put in any values they want to create a fake benchmark.

It's better to just rely on the "web of trust" by having benchmarks linked to forum identities, and I just suggested an easier way above that might help adoption.

Thanked by (1)corbpie
  • @Ympker said:
    adding Provider Name to the benchmarks would be very helpful

On the website it's possible to enter provider name.
    Currently, this only accepts a short list of providers.
    It isn't possible to enter a provider not in that list.
    I wanted to enter "homelab" for my first entry but I cannot.

The provider name input should be a text box that accepts any input.
    As you type, the website searches known providers and displays suggestions, to encourage users make consistent entries.

Webmaster moderates every new provider name created.
    If it contains profanity, the user is warned.
    If it misspells a provider name, it's merged into the correct name, and future searches would return the correct name when the misspelled name is entered.

Thanked by (2)Ympker corbpie

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said

10 Push-Ups

If it misspells a provider name, it's merged into the correct name, and future searches would return the correct name when the misspelled name is entered.

10 Push ups for every merge

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Wolveix
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@vyas said:
    @yoursunny said

10 Push-Ups

LES meetup 2023 be like: :)

Thanked by (1)thagoat

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:
    @yoursunny said

10 Push-Ups

.#MJJarmy

@dahartigan

Thanked by (1)dahartigan
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:
    @yoursunny said

10 Push-Ups

oh my.....

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @stevewatson301 ok yeah I get you now, that'd be handy to cut out account verification on my end. The integrity of the results is why I want to make it account-based so users can archive, sort and compare (soon) the YABS changes over time rather than a platform to flex suspicious results or some provider's new and unfilled node.

@Sunny I added 'homelab' for you. if I find time an autocomplete or submit provider name input will be done in time.

• /yabs and /yabs/*/edit paths are showing 500 error.
    New submission is not showing up on /mine/* path.

• corbpiecorbpie OG
    edited September 2022

@yoursunny said:
    /yabs and /yabs/*/edit paths are showing 500 error.
    New submission is not showing up on /mine/* path.

Should be all fixed now

• corbpiecorbpie OG
    edited September 2022

Leaving registrations open for now if anyone wants to create an account

Thanked by (1)tarasis
  • Until users can submit providers, locations etc. I'd suggest having a default, "Not listed" option for those dropdowns.
    At the moment it seems you can't for example update the price without updating both provider & location. If neither of those are listed, then you're gonna end up with bad data.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny Wolveix
  • Submission (using /mine/<> endpoint) without Geekbench result is failing with error:

Error inserting. Ensure your test has disk and network speeds.

Editing (/yabs/<>/edit) submission is not saving successfully.
    It just redirects back to the edit page, with both provider and location fields empty again.

• CalinCalin Hosting Provider

Very interesting , good job with this project!

Regards,
    Calin

Thanked by (1)corbpie
  • Well, this is just plain awesome. I've just been saving my YABS in Standard Notes this whole time, besides the Geekbench results that I save to my account.

Good work!

Thanked by (1)corbpie
  • @yoursunny said:
    Submission (using /mine/<> endpoint) without Geekbench result is failing with error:

Is this with the geekbench test excluded or when it fails because of not enough RAM?

If it is the latter it makes the JSON corrupt https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script/issues/41

• edited October 2022

@corbpie said:

@yoursunny said:
    Submission (using /mine/<> endpoint) without Geekbench result is failing with error:

Is this with the geekbench test excluded or when it fails because of not enough RAM?

If it is the latter it makes the JSON corrupt https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script/issues/41

Geekbench 5 failed for unknown reason, on all three runs I did today.
    The servers have 9 GB, 9 GB, 2 GB RAM
    Manually running Geekbench 5 on these servers were successful.

Regardless of why Geekbench 5 failed, it would be the same JSON bug.
    YABS should prepare JSON with jq command, to ensure validity of the output.

• tarasistarasis OG
    edited December 2022

@corbpie said:

Cheers, have wanted something like this (been using a spreadsheet so far).

Could you add VPSDime, Online.net/Scaleway, Ligahosting, LuxVPS, iHostArt, Oracle as hosts please.

It would be useful to manually add Geekbench result in case of fail (just had the same issue on one host, 16GB ram, 1GB swap and GB5 failed, worked manually).

• @tarasis said: Could you add VPSDime, Online.net/Scaleway, Ligahosting, LuxVPS, iHostArt, Oracle as hosts please.

Added!

@tarasis said: It would be useful to manually add Geekbench result in case of fail (just had the same issue on one host, 16GB ram, 1GB swap and GB5 failed, worked manually)

That will make it too easy to cook the numbers, you can delete the post and redo it if you're wanting the GB5 scores on the post :)

• tarasistarasis OG
    edited December 2022

@corbpie said:

@tarasis said: Could you add VPSDime, Online.net/Scaleway, Ligahosting, LuxVPS, iHostArt, Oracle as hosts please.

Added!

Cheers.

@tarasis said: It would be useful to manually add Geekbench result in case of fail (just had the same issue on one host, 16GB ram, 1GB swap and GB5 failed, worked manually)

That will make it too easy to cook the numbers, you can delete the post and redo it if you're wanting the GB5 scores on the post :)

Fair, can understand the concern. Maybe a fall back of provide link to GB results and scrape the data from there? (It's a pesky VPS. If I run yabs while connected via IPv4 it triggers the nodes DDoS protection. If I'm connected via IPv6, it completes (😬🤔) but GB5 fails. But if I run GB5 manually it works fine. Go figure)

Thanked by (1)corbpie
  • @tarasis said:
    (It's a pesky VPS. If I run yabs while connected via IPv4 it triggers the nodes DDoS protection. If I'm connected via IPv6, it completes (😬🤔) but GB5 fails. But if I run GB5 manually it works fine. Go figure)

What host? Sounds sort of awful if a few runs of iperf trigger mitigation.

• Managed to get a test through: https://yabsdb.com/yabs/kUA2S2Bz

big chumbus

Thanked by (1)corbpie
  • @fluttershy said:

@tarasis said:
    (It's a pesky VPS. If I run yabs while connected via IPv4 it triggers the nodes DDoS protection. If I'm connected via IPv6, it completes (😬🤔) but GB5 fails. But if I run GB5 manually it works fine. Go figure)

What host? Sounds sort of awful if a few runs of iperf trigger mitigation.

LuxVPS