OVH IPv4 space is going to be monthly paid only.

edited September 2022 in General

Just received the mail regarding power pricing. It included a tiny paragraph. Well. GG folks.

Starting on October 6th, 2022, the price for new additional IPv4 subscriptions (also known as Failover IP) will be € 1.50 monthly per IP (exc. VAT), with no setup fee and no commitment.

For existing additional IPv4 subscriptions we plan to progressively reach a similar billing model. All existing additional IPv4 subscribers will be contacted in advance with all the details.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@rm_ also pointed out that the VPS prices will go up an additional 1EUR/month in January.

VPS will no longer include a 'free' primary IP.

Francisco

Thanked by (1)uniquoo
  • MasonMason AdministratorOG

End of an era.

I remember loading up on IPs for my SYS server a number of years ago. Was nice while it lasted. Guess we'll see providers that use OVH possibly increasing their prices as well soon.

Thanked by (1)uniquoo

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• edited September 2022

@Francisco said:
    @rm_ also pointed out that the VPS prices will go up an additional 1EUR/month in January.

VPS will no longer include a 'free' primary IP.

IMHO the price increase for IPs will massivly affect the gaming market aswell. Most dedicated game servers are hosted at OVH because of their "Game-DDoS-Protection". But overall, a lot of people who fled Hetzner (me cough) have to adjust now. I've been expecting price hikes but not for the IPv4 adresses and not with these prices.

In Germany we have like 70% IPv6 adoption. All other countries (except 2) are worse to near zero adoption. Time to get your providers and ISPs into the boat fellas! I will start providing services over IPv6 only next year.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny Mason
  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@Mason said:
    End of an era.

I remember loading up on IPs for my SYS server a number of years ago. Was nice while it lasted. Guess we'll see providers that use OVH possibly increasing their prices as well soon.

I always avoided "hoarding" the OVH IPs, but I do have like 30-40 that I need to cancel. The issue is OVH has always been a huge pain in the ass when it comes to cancelling FO IPs. It usually throws some generic error which makes it impossible to cancel individual IPs, and their support isn't useful. I expect them to get a flood of tickets about these issues when the prices come into affect.

Thanked by (1)Mason

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• Damn that's bad news :(

• It's about time, IPv4 is dead! Long live IPv6!

• Am I the only one that welcomes news like this? Ive been running IPv6 for 20 fucking years, are you guys coming or what?

Thanked by (2)iandk cochon
  • SiliCloudSiliCloud Hosting Provider

More fair, But unwelcome.

Silicon Cloud - OpenStack Iaas Provider
    Cloud vServer/Dedicated vServer, Private Cloud/Colocation, DDoS Mitigation(optional), Managed Service

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Hosting ProviderOG

Knew this was coming. We are going to see a lot of people moving away from or jacking up their rates.

It's just not cost effective as a provider to hand out IP's like candy unless you got loads of them.

PureVoltage - Custom Dedicated Servers Dual E5-2680v3 64gb ram 1TB nvme 100TB/10g $145
    New York Colocation - Amazing pricing 1U-48U+

• The end is nigh.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.