Porkbun NS moving to Cloudflare?

edited September 2022 in Industry News

Yesterday I have received an interesting email from porkbun, I didn't see any posts about it here so I thought it might be worth sharing here.

Hello there,

You're receiving this email because one or more domains in your account are registered at another registrar and might be using Porkbun nameservers. Our legacy DNS infrastructure will be decommissioned by the end of September.

We've got good news and bad news. The good news is that we've already started migrating our DNS infrastructure to our new DNS provider, Cloudflare. With Cloudflare, you'll get built-in denial-of-service-attack protection and other security features, at zero additional cost.

The bad news is that any of your domains that are registered elsewhere that use the following nameservers:

fortaleza.porkbun.com
salvador.porkbun.com
maceio.porkbun.com
curitiba.porkbun.com

…will need to be updated to the following instead:

fortaleza.ns.porkbun.com
salvador.ns.porkbun.com
maceio.ns.porkbun.com
curitiba.ns.porkbun.com

This change will need to be made at the current registrar for these domains. If you need any assistance determining where your domain is registered, or how to change the nameserver assignment, please contact Porkbun support at [email protected]

Why is Porkbun switching DNS providers?

We've simply grown too big! Maintaining a massive DNS infrastructure in today's hostile, complicated internet is no small feat. We've pulled it off so far, but it's getting harder every year. We realized we could offer the same free service without all that effort (and additional expense) by outsourcing the task to a provider that's already perfected the art of large-scale DNS hosting. We chose Cloudflare due to their reputation for providing world-class, DDoS-resistant DNS service. After this transition, we'll be free to focus on building out our registrar and hosting products. We're excited to say the least!

If you've still got any questions, we're here to answer them! Simply reply to this email, or email [email protected] and we'll get an answer back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you,
The Porkbun Team

That's an interesting piece of news considering cloudflare "competes" with Porkbun in the domain registration sector, but that's just me.

Comments

• For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Cloudflare might acquire Porkbun :-)

• @TheDP said:

Both Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk might want to have a word with you, given that they have been relatively successful with vertical integration :smile:

Thanked by (1)TheDP
  • JabJab
    edited September 2022

They had a lot of problems with DNSes lately, right?
    Like I've seen few posts that it's offline, not working, blablabla.

Probably most of the clients sets theirs own nameservers and only small percentage leave it in default porkbun... so they outsourced 'secondary' function, the problematic one. Makes total sense - new clients would probably not even see that those are cloudflare DNS :-)

First team reading this post I've seen Bunny moves to Cloudflare and I was like: wtf, that is a suicide... lol

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• I actually think the most interesting information from the OP is that porkbun don't just delete people's DNS records as soon as they transfer away like most registrars do. Can't see what possible business incentive there is to keep them running after someone moves away but can't be bothered to change the DNS.

• mwtmwt
    edited September 2022

It's weird to me that they had issues with DNS given that they run the root zones for several TLDs.

Isn't regular authoritative DNS child's play compared to that?

• @ralf said:
    I actually think the most interesting information from the OP is that porkbun don't just delete people's DNS records as soon as they transfer away like most registrars do. Can't see what possible business incentive there is to keep them running after someone moves away but can't be bothered to change the DNS.

I have moved some domains away from porkbun to Cloudflare, as such I definitely don't have any domains using their namesservers (I never use registrar dns), so I am not really sure why I got that mail
    Anyway, I suppose that since the cost of running dns is typically very close to 0 it makes more sense for them to just allow clients to keep using it (thus logging in to their manager and potentially doing more business with them in the future)

Thanked by (2)mwt ralf
  • Do they offer any more features than your own cloudflare free account?

• edited September 2022

@mwt said:
    It's weird to me that they had issues with DNS given that they run the root zones for several TLDs.

Godaddy, CentralNIC and Tucows does all the heavy lifting.
    https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/gay.html
    https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/wiki.html
    https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/ink.html
    https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/tattoo.html

And apparently Godaddy bought one of their TLD.
    https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/design.html

• So Porkbun is obviously my favorite registrar, but for DNS hosting nothing tops the free tier of 1984
    None of that pesky downtime when CF decides to shit the bed.

Thanked by (2)flips cornercase
  • @Boogeyman said:

@mwt said:

Godaddy, CentralNIC and Tucows does all the heavy lifting.
    https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/gay.html
    https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/wiki.html
    https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/ink.html
    https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/tattoo.html

And apparently Godaddy bought one of their TLD.
    https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/design.html

Interesting! I hadn't really thought about this as a possibility. I wonder how expensive it is to obtain and run a tld if you outsource the whole thing.

• I have 3 domains at there, none of them using their managed dns. just simply not putting all eggs in one basket

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

It makes sense.
    Domain registration is not the same as nameserver hosting.
    So it's not really putting all the eggs in one basket.

This month, Serbian domain registrars and nameserver hosts were DDoS-ed so most .rs domains were unavailable for (thankfully only) about one day.

To expand on the "eggs in one basket" a bit:

Sure, you'll be relying on Cloudflare's infrastructure.
    But Internet is getting centralized - good luck avoiding (and fighting - lol) that. :(
    Google covers about 90% of the searches, big infrastructure and service providers are buying out the small(er) ones...
    Big corps are doing all they can to run the world - with a huge amount of man-hours and politicians (and military power) at their disposal.

Thanked by (1)root

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• rootroot OG
    edited October 2022

@bikegremlin said:

You are right, but we must try. Internet becomes a way for population control worldwide. We need to fight this; otherwise we need a new internet network.

Back on topic: I am really thinking about ditching Porkbun now.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

How are you... online?

• skorupionskorupion Services Provider

I've been relying on hetzner DNS, and it's been pretty nice so far

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

• rootroot OG
    edited October 2022

Namesilo also moved to Cloudflare. I received absolutely no notification about it. All default nameservers provided for customers of Namesilo (ns1.dnsowl.com, ns2.dnsowl.com, ns3.dnsowl.com) are actually IPv4 addresses of Cloudflare.

We are all f*cked, corporations want to control our domains now. This thread should be sticky so others may be aware of this.

How are you... online?

• @root said: Namesilo also moved to Cloudflare. I received absolutely no notification about it. All default nameservers provided for customers of Namesilo (ns1.dnsowl.com, ns2.dnsowl.com, ns3.dnsowl.com) are actually IPv4 addresses of Cloudflare.

I believe quite a number of registrars are doing this.

I mean they're either with CF or AWS.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• rootroot OG
    edited October 2022

@TheDP said:

@root said: Namesilo also moved to Cloudflare. I received absolutely no notification about it. All default nameservers provided for customers of Namesilo (ns1.dnsowl.com, ns2.dnsowl.com, ns3.dnsowl.com) are actually IPv4 addresses of Cloudflare.

Exactly. Am I the only one who sees this as a huge problem?

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@TheDP said:

@root said: Namesilo also moved to Cloudflare. I received absolutely no notification about it. All default nameservers provided for customers of Namesilo (ns1.dnsowl.com, ns2.dnsowl.com, ns3.dnsowl.com) are actually IPv4 addresses of Cloudflare.

Well, I don't know.

But look on the bright side - you're not forced to use their default nameservers :smiley:

You can use whatever you feel is best for you.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!

• @TheDP said:

@root said:

@TheDP said:

Well, I don't know.

But look on the bright side - you're not forced to use their default nameservers :smiley:

You can use whatever you feel is best for you.

For now. You are aware this is how it starts. One can not gain control of the whole internet all at once. They acquire internet step by step, feature by feature, protocol after protocol. Next thing you know it, they put their own rules and limitations (like internal private email blacklists designed by Microsoft), then they buy Porkbun, Namesilo, and others; even your business because they can always keep track of the successful analytics behind your online business. We won't have freedom later on, only a dream or illusion of it. This is dangerous, but this is just my opinion it seems.

How are you... online?

• I've been using BunnyDNS and I'm very happy with it

Thanked by (2)foxone cornercase
  • I have been using CloudNS (aff)for years, and has been really stable.
    Every black Friday they usually have upgrade promos that are good. They seem to look after existing customers better then new user promos :) I am currently on a BF Special $0.99/month for 5 DDOS protected zones

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@root said:

@bikegremlin said:

You are right, but we must try. Internet becomes a way for population control worldwide. We need to fight this; otherwise we need a new internet network.

Back on topic: I am really thinking about ditching Porkbun now.

Your heart is in the right place and I appreciate the effort.

The way I see it:
    I don't think choosing what to buy is really fighting it. That's more like the elections (voting).
    In other words - everything that is privately owned can (and will) be sold. That's the whole point (idea).

At this time, Internet is practically run by social media/network corps, and Google (the few "independent" search engines seem to rely on Microsoft/Bing for their results, at this time at least).

Tin-foil hat section:
    Who runs people who run ICANN? :)

P.S.
    Having said all that, please do share if you find a reliable, independent domain registrar.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:
    P.S.
    Having said all that, please do share if you find a reliable, independent domain registrar.

Dynadot comes to my mind. They are hosting wikileaks.org for years now.

• @root said:
    Namesilo also moved to Cloudflare. I received absolutely no notification about it. All default nameservers provided for customers of Namesilo (ns1.dnsowl.com, ns2.dnsowl.com, ns3.dnsowl.com) are actually IPv4 addresses of Cloudflare.

We are all f*cked, corporations want to control our domains now. This thread should be sticky so others may be aware of this.

According to PorkBun's email they had to change their ns format (see above) so I am not sure this is the case here
    Might be worth mentioning CF also provides DDOS protection for enterprise customers to services beside HTTP/S, it might be the case here. Maybe authority section could be checked? Or some quirks in the CF resolver? not really sure how this can be detected

• @Voigon said:

@root said:

According to PorkBun's email they had to change their ns format (see above) so I am not sure this is the case here
    Might be worth mentioning CF also provides DDOS protection for enterprise customers to services beside HTTP/S, it might be the case here. Maybe authority section could be checked? Or some quirks in the CF resolver? not really sure how this can be detected

So you are suggesting that instead of creating or using some competition, we should all just go with the flow at Cloudflare.

How are you... online?

• edited November 2022

@root said:

@Voigon said:

@root said:

So you are suggesting that instead of creating or using some competition, we should all just go with the flow at Cloudflare.

No clue what gave you that idea. Please actually read the comment. I just noted NameSilo's DNS might not be actually hosted / controlled by CF

• rootroot OG
    edited November 2022

@Voigon said:
    No clue what gave you that idea. Please actually read the comment. I just noted NameSilo's DNS might not be actually hosted / controlled by CF

OK. So you contradicted my statement without making some basic checks. Thank you. Here are some checks, with some comments for your convenience. Enjoy.

ns1.dnsowl.com.     7207    IN  A   162.159.26.136  # Cloudflare IPv4 address
    ns1.dnsowl.com.     7207    IN  A   162.159.27.173  # Another Cloudflare IPv4 address.
    ns2.dnsowl.com.     32400   IN  A   162.159.26.49   # Cloudflare again, who would have thought?!
    ns2.dnsowl.com.     32400   IN  A   162.159.27.130  # Yes, this is Cloudflare too.
    ns3.dnsowl.com.     43200   IN  A   162.159.26.234  # Guess who this belongs to, you got one chance.
    ns3.dnsowl.com.     43200   IN  A   162.159.27.98   # This IP is different, it belongs to Cloudflare this time.

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@Voigon said:

OK. So you contradicted my statement without making some basic checks. Thank you. Here are some checks, with some comments for your convenience. Enjoy.

ns1.dnsowl.com.       7207    IN  A   162.159.26.136  # Cloudflare IPv4 address
    ns1.dnsowl.com.       7207    IN  A   162.159.27.173  # Another Cloudflare IPv4 address.
    ns2.dnsowl.com.       32400   IN  A   162.159.26.49   # Cloudflare again, who would have thought?!
    ns2.dnsowl.com.       32400   IN  A   162.159.27.130  # Yes, this is Cloudflare too.
    ns3.dnsowl.com.       43200   IN  A   162.159.26.234  # Guess who this belongs to, you got one chance.
    ns3.dnsowl.com.       43200   IN  A   162.159.27.98   # This IP is different, it belongs to Cloudflare this time.

One last time - CF IP DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE CF'S DNS SERVERS
    If you can't be bothered with reading, please don't comment