c1vhosting - IPv6 issue - I need a bit of help of the community

edited September 2022 in Help

As I posted here https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/98604/#Comment_98604 I purchased two VPSes from this company. Soon after that IPv6 died. On the both servers at the same time. Since then we're going back and forth with this for 3 weeks now.

Sometimes he says that it's faulty core router, sometimes that I screwed up OS (at newly reinstalled vps I haven't even accessed yet?), sometimes some third issue...

He found a way to "restart" IPv6 from a host node (or router?), but it don't stay UP persistenly. He run it manually and then say "hey it works" but after some time IPv6 die. And never come back after the reboot.

So what I would like to ask is if one reputable member would be willing to log into newly reinstalled VPSes and monitor it for lets say 48 hours. In the meantime you're welcome to reboot it, secure it, or whatever... You can play with it, just do do anything nasty, please. I informed host about this test.

In case IPv6 stop to work I don't mind if you tinker with it (I can reinstall it for you again), etc... but what's important to me is to know if IPv6 on a fresh reinstalled VPS stoped to work on you and not on me.

You don't need to have some super admin skills. Infact I just want to prove that IPv6 die (and don't come back on reboot) without me even touching it after the reinstall (you will be the only one who's logged in from the beginning).

He may restart IPv6 every now and then manually but you will know if that's the case or IPv6 work as it should.

Distro will be Debian 10 (his latest excuse it that infact only Debian 11 doesn't work properly, but Debian 10 does).

Who's willing to spend few minutes on this issue? I will pm you IP and pass.

Comments

• edited September 2022

In case there's more than one person interested to have a bit of fun I have two VPSes to test simultaneously.
    Pretty please... it's just few minutes to log into newly provisioned vps and check if IPv6 work by default. Everything else (tinkering...) would be extra, but you don't need to do this.

• for IPv6 i nominate @yoursunny .... he is the man.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • edited September 2022

What about both (there are two VPSes)? You don't need to fix it, just to check if it work with a newly provisioned vps without me intervening :)

• edited September 2022

i would have loved to help. I haven't used/configured ipv6 at all ... this is due to my provider and at office use only ipv4.

• edited September 2022

VPS have IPv4 too and it work, so it's not required home IPv6 connectivity to get in or something. There also no need to configure anything (although checking default settings could be welcome, maybe we both with host overlooked something) just check if IPv6 work at all and connectivity stays up.

All what's needed to do is sometning like this:

apt-get update -y && apt-get upgrade -y (or even without that)
    apt-get install curl

and then

curl ipv6.google.com

• in this case, go ahead , create user : ehab
    and pm me the ip , password

Thanked by (1)Mumbly
  • You get root. That's the whole point. It's freshly re-installed vps from the control panel and I won't log in.

• @ehab (thanks man!) got one. I need one candidate more for the second vps.
    Thank you upfront.

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • @Mumbly said:
    @ehab (thanks man!) got one. I need one candidate more for the second vps.
    Thank you upfront.

Hit me up.

Thanked by (1)Mumbly
  • edited September 2022

@stevewatson301 said:

@Mumbly said:
    @ehab (thanks man!) got one. I need one candidate more for the second vps.
    Thank you upfront.

Hit me up.

Awesome :)
    Please post your findings here.

• I find it very strange that a hosting provider with their own datacentre who's been running their business since 2008 seems to only have the sysadmin skills of someone who started a few months ago... ;)

• I know, I know... and I fell for it, silly me... :s

• edited September 2022

hey @yoursunny

root@pushups:~# ping6 ipv6.google.com
    PING ipv6.google.com(mil04s43-in-x0e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4002:402::200e)) 56 data bytes
    From xxx: icmp_seq=1 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable

it resolves dns but does not route ? what can be the problem ... gateway is set statically. What can be the problem?

interface ip6 is up

root@pushups:~# ping6 -c 1 ::1
    PING ::1(::1) 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from ::1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.042 ms
    --- ::1 ping statistics ---
    1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.042/0.042/0.042/0.000 ms

but does not route outside?

@stevewatson301 maybe same network works, i will pm you ip6 of the vps to check if same network works.

• Router-level misconfiguration maybe.

Thanked by (2)ehab pikachu

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• before i fall asleep.

1. /etc/network/interfaces ; get overwritten on reboots. chattr +i does not help here.
    2. disabling ip6 from sysctl.d / reboot / add ip6 manually is up but not route outside.
    3. no rescue or boot from live iso available.
    4. vmx is available but does it help if one boots with dhcp network for ip6?

point 4 needs time, may try last.

• @TheDP said:
    Router-level misconfiguration maybe.

i am betting on this.

• @ehab said:

From xxx: icmp_seq=1 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable

The xxx here might be important as it's returned by the actual host that failed to route. It might be your local IPv6 address in which case it's your problem or it's something further away in which case it's their routing.

You don't need to post it, just check it against the IPv6 address you set and that of the gateway. And if it's neither it's something further away.

• VPS rebuilt with Centos OS per @ehab 's request. I haven't tryed it before, so more than welcome for trying it.

• edited September 2022

@ehab
    Something somethig, advertisement interval values in radvd.conf on the IPv6 router.
    Perhaps.
    https://github.com/radvd-project/radvd/blob/master/radvd.conf.example

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • edited September 2022

From what I noticed admin know what's the issue, because everytime when I re-open support ticket he fix IPv6 connectivity, but sadly he don't know how to do it to stick. Usually IPv6 connectivity die within next few minutes or after the first vps reboot.
    It's enough for him to say "look, IPv6 work" when he respond to the ticket but in reality it's just annoying, because most of the time it does not work.

• after OS reinstall same problem.

Its now confirmed out of the box ip6 does not work.

i have no other ideas to try. If someone else want to pick up the vps then they can with Mumbly now.

Thanked by (1)Mumbly
  • edited September 2022

@ehab said:
    after OS reinstall same problem.

Its now confirmed out of the box ip6 does not work.

i have no other ideas to try. If someone else want to pick up the vps then they can with Mumbly now.

Thank you for all your time and effort. It was very kind of you to trying it. I appreciate it.

• you are welcome Mumbly ....
    please reinstall and change password ... or just shut it down.

good night.

Thanked by (1)Mumbly
  • edited September 2022

Apologies for the delay @Mumbly, I slept off soon after. From here, IPv6 never worked on the first try.

Doesn't look good on the first try:

root@1117:~# ip -6 neigh
    fe80::b0ab:3bff:fe28:611a dev eth0 lladdr b2:ab:3b:28:61:1a STALE
    2a05:4140:3::474 dev eth0 lladdr b2:ab:3b:28:61:1a STALE
    2a05:4140:3::1 dev eth0  FAILED

Connectivity within their network seems fine:

root@1117:~# ping -6 2a05:4140:3::474
    PING 2a05:4140:3::474(2a05:4140:3::474) 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 2a05:4140:3::474: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.074 ms
    64 bytes from 2a05:4140:3::474: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.093 ms
    64 bytes from 2a05:4140:3::474: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.075 ms
    64 bytes from 2a05:4140:3::474: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.076 ms
    64 bytes from 2a05:4140:3::474: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.082 ms
    64 bytes from 2a05:4140:3::474: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.108 ms

But not outside:

ping -6 google.com 
    PING google.com(mil04s43-in-x0e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4002:402::200e)) 56 data bytes
    From 2a05:4140:3::730 (2a05:4140:3::730): icmp_seq=1 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
    From 2a05:4140:3::730 (2a05:4140:3::730): icmp_seq=2 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
    From 2a05:4140:3::730 (2a05:4140:3::730): icmp_seq=3 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
    From 2a05:4140:3::730 (2a05:4140:3::730): icmp_seq=4 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
    From 2a05:4140:3::730 (2a05:4140:3::730): icmp_seq=5 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
    From 2a05:4140:3::730 (2a05:4140:3::730): icmp_seq=6 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable

ping -6 icanhazip.com 
    PING icanhazip.com(2606:4700::6812:7261 (2606:4700::6812:7261)) 56 data bytes
    From 2a05:4140:3::730 (2a05:4140:3::730): icmp_seq=1 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
    From 2a05:4140:3::730 (2a05:4140:3::730): icmp_seq=2 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
    From 2a05:4140:3::730 (2a05:4140:3::730): icmp_seq=3 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
    From 2a05:4140:3::730 (2a05:4140:3::730): icmp_seq=4 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
    From 2a05:4140:3::730 (2a05:4140:3::730): icmp_seq=5 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
    From 2a05:4140:3::730 (2a05:4140:3::730): icmp_seq=6 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable

Although my "IPv6" skills aren't quite up there, sometimes accepting router advertisements causes issues, so I set net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra = 0 and rebooted the system, to no avail. Though, since this is a LXC VPS, I'm not sure if sysctl configuration is supposed to work, either.

You should ask the provider to fix their IPv6 network and/or provide the correct configuration for IPv6 to work.

Edit: Since disabling RAs didn't help, I removed said configuration and rebooted. Oh, and look, the neighbor table doesn't have any entries for IPv6 😂

root@1117:~# ip -6 neigh

Thanked by (1)Mumbly
  • edited September 2022

There's no delay and I am grateful for your contribution as well. Thank you very much :)

If there's anyone else willing to try it you're more than welcome. There are several standard templates (CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu) available and you can try with any of them (but there's no ISO option).

I don't expect from anyone to "fix it", just to try it and report his findings here. Maybe at some point host will realize that it's not about "it work but your settings did something..." but actually hire proper sys admin support to fix network issue for him.

• @ehab said: it resolves dns but does not route ? what can be the problem ... gateway is set statically.

DNS resolution is just a AAAA record lookup, which can happen over IPv4 and IPv6. The provider in question has their network/routing configuration fucked up.

@Mumbly said: If there's anyone else willing to try it you're more than welcome. There are several standard templates (CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu) available and you can try with any of them (but there's no ISO option).

Time to tag the provider on this thread?

Thanked by (2)Mumbly skorous
  • @stevewatson301 said:
    Time to tag the provider on this thread?

I will let him know via support ticket. Before I opened this thread he was informed about those independent tests.

• edited September 2022

Update.
    This guy still can't get over it with the fact that there's issue on their own side and started to threat with service termination because of sharing tickets are agains his TOS.
    Anyone saw any of his ticket shared here?
    He most likely thinks that his TOS (in italian language) enforce that person isn't allowed even to speak about experience with his hosting company or something.
    I suggested refund and parting way as the best possible outcome for both of us at this stage but it seems like he's in need to keep my money no matter what or something...

• It's simple, really. Tell them no tickets were shared and they're falsely claiming a violation of TOS, point out their inability to provide the advertised services.

If they're still haggling, file a chargeback.

Thanked by (5)Mumbly ehab ralf xor imok
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@c1vhosting care to clarify?

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.