Review of Online.net / Scaleway - 2022

This is the worst provider ever. I've bought Start-2-L server from them with specs:
Intel® Xeon® D-1531, 32 GB, 2 x 250 GB SSD and 4 failover IPs.

Firstly they don't support Proxmox 7, just Proxmox 6 which is outdated. But for Start-3-L which has same processor and just double disk they support Proxmox 7, nonsense. I've spent hours to upgrade Proxmox 6 to 7 and verify that's everything ok (ifupdown2, etc).
Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/C7SbjJi.png

After that, the ordered failover IPs are blacklisted, so forget to use them for mailing.
Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/kmjftQ7

And now the grand finale, disks are very slow. I've benchmarkd them when I purchased the server and they were normal, I've posted a review on forum:
https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/96384#Comment_96384
and from one moment everything goes wrong with disks, and they don't even have parts to replace them.
Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/M3A8wJn.png

How can they f*ck up two disks with 1% of wearout??? I guess they regret for selling this server for 23.99€ / mo.
Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/fHuM19n.png

Thanked by (1)jureve

Comments

• I think you have abandoned a SYS server for this sh*t.

Thanked by (1)Amadex
  • Proxmox 6 to 7 is actually easy, Proxmox 7 install on Debian can backfire.
    And welcome to Offline.net.

Thanked by (1)Amadex
  • Looks like the steroid effect has worn out.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @TheDP said:
    Looks like the steroid effect has worn out.

plane tickets are near!

• @Amadex said:

@TheDP said:
    Looks like the steroid effect has worn out.

plane tickets are near!

That's the spirit!

Thanked by (1)Amadex

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited September 2022

Those disk speeds are fine, assuming you're running RAID1 or single disk. It's normal for a single low capacity (<=250GB) SATA SSD to run at those speeds. I've noticed that 250GB SSD's and below have especially low throughput speeds (maybe 250MB/s-350MB/s), while 500GB+ usually have ~500MB/s throughput. I don't think they messed up the disks in any way, I think that's just the speed that a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB runs at.

This is the only benchmark I could find, and it appears that the average score is ~370MB/s for an 850 EVO 250GB, so your Yabs result is right on par for the course assuming that this is accurate:
    https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Samsung-850-Evo-250GB/Rating/2977

Also, does your application really need high disk throughput? If so, you should've gone NVMe anyways. It's still SSD disk and will likely be very speedy, regardless of what the synthetic benchmarks show.

It shouldn't take a couple hours to upgrade from VE 6 to VE 7, it should only take a couple of commands and 20 minutes at most. Not every dedicated server provider even provides Proxmox templates. Is there anything in particular that you struggled with on Online.net? OVH has also been quite picky with OS templates, some servers from OVH don't support Proxmox or even CentOS but some do. It's weird. Back when I had a couple of SYS servers, I had to manually install Proxmox on some of them.

You also shouldn't be using these types of providers for mailing, you never know what's going to be blacklisted. Online.net is not alone, some Hetzner and OVH IP's are also blacklisted too. I would recommend using something like SES or asking a provider beforehand whether or not mailing is fine.

The images you've provided are barely readable - so maybe I'm missing the whole story here 🤔

Anyways, no offense against you, just saying that all of the reasons you listed don't necessarily make them the "worst provider ever" and I feel like you're not being fair to Online.net. Although, I do agree, the fact that they don't carry replacement parts is unacceptable - they should have some onsite.

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• all that for 23e/m lol
    the OP live in the clouds =)

Thanked by (1)Amadex
  • Much better to install Proxmox from Debian, in any case, as then you can determine partitioning etc.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Sounds like you got some:

and on that note:

• edited September 2022

@Advin said:
    Those disk speeds are fine, assuming you're running RAID1 or single disk. It's normal for a single low capacity (<=250GB) SATA SSD to run at those speeds. I've noticed that 250GB SSD's and below have especially low throughput speeds (maybe 250MB/s-350MB/s), while 500GB+ usually have ~500MB/s throughput. I don't think they messed up the disks in any way, I think that's just the speed that a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB runs at.

This is the only benchmark I could find, and it appears that the average score is ~370MB/s for an 850 EVO 250GB, so your Yabs result is right on par for the course assuming that this is accurate:
    https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Samsung-850-Evo-250GB/Rating/2977

Also, does your application really need high disk throughput? If so, you should've gone NVMe anyways. It's still SSD disk and will likely be very speedy, regardless of what the synthetic benchmarks show.

It shouldn't take a couple hours to upgrade from VE 6 to VE 7, it should only take a couple of commands and 20 minutes at most. Not every dedicated server provider even provides Proxmox templates. Is there anything in particular that you struggled with on Online.net? OVH has also been quite picky with OS templates, some servers from OVH don't support Proxmox or even CentOS but some do. It's weird. Back when I had a couple of SYS servers, I had to manually install Proxmox on some of them.

You also shouldn't be using these types of providers for mailing, you never know what's going to be blacklisted. Online.net is not alone, some Hetzner and OVH IP's are also blacklisted too. I would recommend using something like SES or asking a provider beforehand whether or not mailing is fine.

The images you've provided are barely readable - so maybe I'm missing the whole story here 🤔

Anyways, no offense against you, just saying that all of the reasons you listed don't necessarily make them the "worst provider ever" and I feel like you're not being fair to Online.net. Although, I do agree, the fact that they don't carry replacement parts is unacceptable - they should have some onsite.

This was my Yabs after few days of that 370MB/s: https://pastebin.com/raw/scFcbwSu

They have checked disks and told they were f*cked up, but they can not replace them. Instead they offered me:
    Intel® C2750 (Avoton), 16 GB, 1 x 250 GB SSD for the same price,
    and I've bought:
    Intel® Xeon® D-1531, 32 GB, 2 x 250 GB SSD

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @Amadex said: they offered me:
    Intel® C2750 (Avoton), 16 GB, 1 x 250 GB SSD for the same price

LOL.

Scamway.

• edited September 2022

I've got a new machine from OVH 24.99€, at least Scaleway will refund me.

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2022-08-20                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Mon Sep 19 10:44:00 UTC 2022

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 10 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1541 @ 2.10GHz
    CPU cores  : 16 @ 1417.658 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 31.2 GiB
    Swap       : 1024.0 MiB
    Disk       : 410.9 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
    Kernel     : 5.10.0-18-amd64

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 393.16 MB/s  (98.2k) | 469.82 MB/s   (7.3k)
    Write      | 394.20 MB/s  (98.5k) | 472.29 MB/s   (7.3k)
    Total      | 787.36 MB/s (196.8k) | 942.11 MB/s  (14.7k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 455.69 MB/s    (890) | 470.24 MB/s    (459)
    Write      | 479.90 MB/s    (937) | 501.56 MB/s    (489)
    Total      | 935.60 MB/s   (1.8k) | 971.80 MB/s    (948)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 262 Mbits/sec   | 941 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 262 Mbits/sec   | 941 Mbits/sec
    Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 262 Mbits/sec   | 940 Mbits/sec
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | busy
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 253 Mbits/sec   | 867 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 237 Mbits/sec   | 583 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 224 Mbits/sec   | 679 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 258 Mbits/sec   | 928 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 258 Mbits/sec   | 928 Mbits/sec
    Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 258 Mbits/sec   | 926 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 233 Mbits/sec   | 863 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 229 Mbits/sec   | 673 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 239 Mbits/sec   | 767 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 761
    Multi Core      | 5261
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/17390444

Disk 1: https://disk.lol/view/7a64b2646b96d761c476714aa754ccd6b637b662d9f56edcb1de3e9672d9c85c/_dev_nvme0/1
    Disk 2: https://disk.lol/view/7a64b2646b96d761c476714aa754ccd6b637b662d9f56edcb1de3e9672d9c85c/_dev_nvme1/1

• edited September 2022

This was Scaleway thing for 23.99€ + 5 IPs (1.99€ each /mo) + setup fees.

#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2022-08-20                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Thu 15 Sep 2022 04:13:49 AM CEST

Basic System Information:
    Uptime     : 1 days, 13 hours, 2 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1531 @ 2.20GHz
    CPU cores  : 12 @ 2700.000 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 31.2 GiB
    Swap       : 1022.0 MiB
    Disk       : 227.5 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
    Kernel     : 5.15.53-1-pve

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 80.22 MB/s   (20.0k) | 28.64 MB/s     (447)
    Write      | 80.43 MB/s   (20.1k) | 29.01 MB/s     (453)
    Total      | 160.66 MB/s  (40.1k) | 57.65 MB/s     (900)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 27.05 MB/s      (52) | 26.50 MB/s      (25)
    Write      | 28.66 MB/s      (55) | 29.22 MB/s      (28)
    Total      | 55.71 MB/s     (107) | 55.73 MB/s      (53)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 939 Mbits/sec   | 904 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 768 Mbits/sec   | 941 Mbits/sec  
    Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 606 Mbits/sec   | 937 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 894 Mbits/sec   | 204 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 869 Mbits/sec   | 72.2 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 843 Mbits/sec   | 171 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 755                           
    Multi Core      | 4212                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/17280392