All Things WordPress Discussions

vyasvyas OG
edited July 2020 in WordPress

I am creating this topic based on discussions with a couple of folks in the forum, and a recent prodding by @bikegremlin in The Cest Pit.

Let us discuss all matters Wordpress here.

As a starting topic

For WordPress Fanboys and gals

Ranking of fastest WP themes by Kinsta

https://kinsta.com/blog/fastest-wordpress-theme/

Tagging a few random folks I know have tinkered with WP
@bikegremlin @SmallWeb @Ympker

Edit:
Of course the link that I posted from Kinsta blog was written for SEO, by a hosting company that offers managed ‘premium’ WordPress...That smell test they will never pass.

Coming to the themes, I use neve, and generate press and indeed they are one of the better ones

Comments

• How do you backup your WP site?
    Me: Updraft plugin free version, backup to Dropbox daily.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited July 2020

Re-posting the original reply (old one can/should be deleted):

Over the years, and judging by the types of articles I get, offered as guest posts, I've come to recognize such stuff.
    That seems like an OK quality article written by someone paid to write an article "for SEO".

Testing method seems even more primitive than my testing method. Why? Because while GTmetrix and the likes give you guidelines on what you could optimize, I think that for the performance comparison, some kind of load test is required.

Also, at least for Astra, GeneratePress and Ocean WP, there are many "modules" that come with the paid theme version. They load more elements onto a page and do affect performance. It is not explicitly stated, but from the testing method description, I would "guess" that they used the basic free version. They did state no menus, pictures etc. was used in test pages. This also makes the test a bit of a... miss? Like testing a Jeep on paved roads to see if it's better than a Land Rover.

Still, at least for the above mentioned three themes, I would say they are among the better written and optimized - haven't tested the others. With Astra and Ocean WP "playing" a bit better with WooCommerce, at least in their free versions (haven't tried GeneratePress paid version, authors did include "good WooCommerce integration modules" with that one).

My testing method:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/15268/website-testing-methods/

Thanked by (4)vyas Ympker dedipromo mikho

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@vyas said:
    Edit:
    Of course the link that I posted from Kinsta blog was written for SEO, by a hosting company that offers managed ‘premium’ WordPress...That smell test they will never pass.

Coming to the themes, I use neve, and generate press and indeed they are one of the better ones

I can certainly confirm on the GeneratePress - the theme is great, fast, stable, and the support, even for the free version is top class. Cherry on the top of the cake is their documentation.

As for Kinsta, I would say their articles are generally among the better - even though they are, I agree, "written for SEO".

Even

Thanked by (1)sureiam

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• vyas said: Ranking of fastest WO themes

Can vouch for GeneratePress (paid version). With LSCache, it scores 94% for PageSpeed mobile and 99% for PageSpeed desktop without any further optimization. I also use Hueman-pro and Newspaper for a bunch of other websites, and they are slow as hell.

sonic said: How do you backup your WP site?

I'm using the script linked in my signature to automatically backup WP database and webfiles to FTP.

Thanked by (2)vyas sureiam

Easy Website Backup Script: easybackup Extremely affordable FTP backup storage: 1Fichier
    One-click CDN installation on your VPS: OneClickCDN

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited July 2020

First of: Great idea, @vyas ! I'll definitely hang out here :) Don't worry too much about giving Kinsta some SEO. They make great blog posts sometimes!

@sonic said:
    How do you backup your WP site?

Aside from my providers' daily backups,
    I backup my wp sites monthly using my providers' Jetbackup to upload snapshots to my Google Drive and then Backup to Koofr (since I have 1TB cloud storage on Koofr) and local. Before I'd use Updraft Plus (free), too but WP Backup plugins are eating just too much system resources (esp. for bigger websites) as compared to smth like Jetbackup (at least on shared hosting).

I also have one site setup where I backup with XCloner plugin to Webdav (Koofr).

Thanked by (3)vyas bikegremlin vimalware
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited July 2020

@Ympker said:
    First of: Great idea, @vyas ! I'll definitely hang out here :) Don't worry too much about giving Kinsta some SEO. They make great blog posts sometimes!

@sonic said:

I backup my wp sites monthly using my providers' Jetbackup to upload snapshots to my Google Drive and then Backup to Koofr (since I have 1TB cloud storage on Koofr) and local. Before I'd use Updraft Plus (free), too but WP Backup plugins are eating just too much system resources (esp. for bigger websites) as compared to smth like Jetbackup (at least on shared hosting).

I also have one site setup where I backup with XCloner plugin to Webdav (Koofr).

That's a nice list of backup plugins also @dedipromo will check out the script.
    I use All In One WP Backup, but it recently pooped on backing up my blog when I was moving to a new server.
    Tried Updraft plus for the first time, was mighty impressed.
    @ympker, timely reminder on Koofr... need to start using it.

On generatepress- have you guys tried generateblocks? I came across it when I was writing the series on WP Pagebuilders. It is the no brainer of no brainer page creation tools I have seen.
    https://generateblocks.com

Thanked by (2)dedipromo Ympker

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

@sonic said:

That's a nice list of backup plugins also @dedipromo will check out the script.
    I use All In One WP Backup, but it recently pooped on backing up my blog when I was moving to a new server.
    Tried Updraft plus for the first time, was mighty impressed.
    @ympker, timely reminder on Koofr... need to start using it.

On generatepress- have you guys tried generateblocks? I came across it when I was writing the series on WP Pagebuilders. It is the no brainer of no brainer page creation tools I have seen.
    https://generateblocks.com

I ultimately decided not to buy AIO WP. For one, usage on client sites requires an extra license and, for all convenience it offers, it kinda sucks you can't extract single files from the Backup (just view them with their website tool). At least not without using some Github third party tool to extract the backup.

I like Updrafts approach more, however foe some of my 5GB websites I end up with so so many "upload10, upload11, upload12.. " folders because of the media not outsourced to CDN or smth. Jetbackup is more convenient in that regard. Or FTP, even, which I could use with Updraft hehe.

For backups I prefer server doing the job, than a plugin backing itself up practically. As @Ympker said - less load on the server from what I could tell.
    JetBackup + Backblaze, along with hosting provider's backups, and monthly copy to an off-line hard disk, just in case.

For page builders, I'm sticking with Elementor. Good documentation, saves a lot of time coding, and doesn't work too slowly if you don't use too many stuff. IMO, page builders boil down to saving time (and development budget). For better performance and stability, suppose it's better making it all without any page builders.

There are loads of other page builders, both old and new, and they are all "the next best thing", but since their main use is practically saving the time (and allowing those who don't code to make websites look as clients want them to look), going with one that is familiar makes sense. Also, considering future support and the fact that by using tools others are familiar with, clients are less dependant on you (I think the independence route is an ethical one, if for no other reason, then in case something happens to me).

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited July 2020

If anyone is feeling charitable I recently became aware of a local charity essentially being held to ransom to the tune of £350 per update to a wordpress site and £350 per year for hosting (it’s on a siteground reseller plan ultimately ).

Also the site runs like shit.

I am looking to help by having the theme approximately recreated or source theme identified (claimed to be bespoke, it’s probably not) so I can get them moved and hand back control.

If anyone is up for a bit of social justice PM me, they have been getting screwed like this since 2012, the company will give them no access and are unyielding.

Sort of Wordpress related :)

Thanked by (2)bugrakoc vimalware

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    If anyone is feeling charitable I recently became aware of a local charity essentially being held to ransom to the tune of £350 per update to a wordpress site and £350 per year for hosting (it’s on a siteground reseller plan ultimately ).

I am looking to help by having the theme approximately recreated or source theme identified (claimed to be bespoke, it’s probably not) so I can get them moved and hand back control.

If anyone is up for a bit of social justice PM me, they have been getting screwed like this since 2012, the company will give them no access and are unyielding.

While not a programmer, or developer, happy to help in other ways. Incidentally I see posts like this more often than desirable in FB Wordpress groups. The ‘premium’ hosting services like Kinsta, Closte, Flywheel...charge a bomb under the guise of managed services.

Since you mentioned charity a thought nicked to mind: if they are a registered charity, they might be eligible for Google for Nonprofit credits. Yes google, but yes, financially no cost.

——

On a tangential note:
    The malaise of charging nonprofits a bomb is common in Drupal world. The organization I consult with paid @ 1,000 US Dollars per domain for a ‘security patch’ last year. Only talking like 15 odd domains

• @AnthonySmith said:

Happy to help as best as I can. Toss me a PM with details, and I'll check the site out, do a bit of due diligence and revert :)

• Would be glad to help also, but you may have already gotten the help you need :)

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

All offers much appreciated, lots of PM's in, much appreciated, I am sorry to derail this fine topic :D

Thanked by (2)Ympker vimalware

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited July 2020

@wordpress said:
    Sup my fellow people

Ha forgot we had a Les by name Wordpress:-) welcome!

Thanked by (1)wordpress
  • @AnthonySmith said: All offers much appreciated, lots of PM's in, much appreciated, I am sorry to derail this fine topic

Had a quick look into the website. While the theme may seem to be a bit generic, the CSS file includes elements that lend credence to the fact that it may very well be bespoke.

FWIW, the site doesn't really have much in terms of features which would require real development. So, my recommendation for the non profit organization would be to simply buy a template of their choice from themeforest.com, and then have a few volunteers from LES recreate pages, which shouldn't take more than a week or two.

Net cost to the non profit would be about $50-$60 for the base template of their choice with guaranteed updates for the template, thereafter. While, LES volunteers who expressed interest in helping out, could divide the grunt work involved in recreating web pages, articles & news posts.

• Good summary @kay45.
    What makes also confirms a custom Bespoke theme.

The site is ironically hosted on google cloud, but the oversized and non optimal images kare the main reason for slowness.

But there are some other issues that @AnthonySmith and I discussed, best left outside this discussion.

• On the topic of Wordpress sites and speed of loading:

Here is a good post on optimizing image and image seo (rather long read, of course very WordPress specific)

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/seo-images/

Edit: here is the PDF: https://img.gaatha.co/tM6dxU (no ads, no trackers, yada yada) for reference only

The Tl;Dr version

“Make sure that your visual content is relevant to the topic of the page. We suggest that you display images only where they add original value to the page. We particularly discourage pages where neither the images or the text are original content.”

• Hi everyone!
    As long as you have nice reverse proxy cache before wordpress, almost every theme, except really bloated one, will give you 100:100 pagespeed rank as it should bypass wordpress' php and mysql completely.
    Just my 2cents.

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • @Smarty Can you recommend any good caching plugins?

• @chrisfy said:
    @Smarty Can you recommend any good caching plugins?

Different
    Plugins have different levels of mojo in
    Shared or self hosted

• Most are self-hosted; but some clients host themselves, what mojo you got?

• Here's a good list: https://wpastra.com/best-wordpress-caching-plugins/

I use/have used Wp Total Cache, WP Rocket, Hummingbird.

Now main WP sites are on VPS+Gridpane (who offer Redis page caching/fastcgi page caching for Nginx.

I am not too familiar with the differences between the two.

Thanked by (2)chrisfy Ympker
  • Oh shoot, I meant to specify any good plugins to use with a caching reverse proxy e.g varnish/nginx re: @Smarty's post. I couldn't find any references in that list.

Also side note, Gridpane looks great, are you on their pro plan?

edited July 2020

@vyas said:
    Here's a good list: https://wpastra.com/best-wordpress-caching-plugins/

I use/have used Wp Total Cache, WP Rocket, Hummingbird.

Now main WP sites are on VPS+Gridpane (who offer Redis page caching/fastcgi page caching for Nginx.

I am not too familiar with the differences between the two.

WP Total Cache has worked best for me :) Right now, I am not using any caching plugin though. Just HostMantis caching system.

• edited July 2020

@chrisfy said:
    @Smarty Can you recommend any good caching plugins?

Some clarifications are to be made:
    Any caching wordpress plug-in, works inside wordpress, so in terms of performance php was already called and your answer will be late no matter how well the plug-in is marketed.
    I suggest a straight-forward obvious thing: bypass wordpress when your content are static. Even dynamic pages can be cached on an interval basis - to serve cached copy for 5 minutes.
    1) wget sitemap.xmls with all urls with timestamps.
    2) wget fresh posts and pages into local cache folder.
    3) zopfli and brotli them to the maximum extent.
    4) Tell your webserver to bypass cache for developers' ips, dynamic pages, etc and use internal redirects to cache for everyone else.
    5) Repeat when new content is ready.
    That way almost all your posts and pages will be served as usual prepacked static htmls within 1-2 milliseconds with a modern HTTP2 webserver.

P.M. me if you need a custom setup. It works only on vpses and dedis though, where you can configure any software as you like.

Thanked by (2)vimalware localhost
  • For those who would like the “old Wordpress” I.e the non Gutenburg, version 4.9x

Do give a try to ClassicPress. Been using it on a test site, is lighter and faster

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Hosting Provider

@chrisfy said:
    Can you recommend any good caching plugins?

I am using the one with cheetah pic. My favourite amongst the cache plugins.

✓✓Only shared hosting-both DA and cPanel Still in 2006

• Hi @vyas, love to see a detailed tutorial about Frontity. #request

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• Someone shed some light on Ghost CMS Platform ( like this Thread ).

Too bored to use WP. If anyone guides to optimise the Ghost blog, it will be much helpful.

@vyas @AnthonySmith @seriesn @Ympker @Smarty @MikePT etc.

Thanked by (2)Naix MikePT