Average (?) WordPress hosting resource requirements

bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Based on my fiddling over the past years, and thanks to the stricter resource policy of some reseller hosting providers, I wanted to see how many resources are needed for hosting a small WordPress blog, how many for a webshop, larger site etc.

Reseller hosting accounts include DB usage with the shown "CPU usage," so take that into account.

WordPress hosting resource requirements

@Ympker and @vyas - I tried to make this one short. :) Let me know if you find anything missing (stats or info), and if this aligns with your experience.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Comments

• Wordpress without bloat (plugins) can run perfectly fine on 64 MB VPS. And starting from that, add 256MB for each plugin you install.

• johnkjohnk Hosting Provider

@legendary said:
    Wordpress without bloat (plugins) can run perfectly fine on 64 MB VPS. And starting from that, add 256MB for each plugin you install.

You really can't. PHP, MySQL, HTTPD, and you're a goner.

@bikegremlin fine article, but as always I caution against generalizations. "1 CPU" means different things, different places, as does IO (impacted by things like latency).

And really, WP sites are just too arbitrary to slim down to X size blog needs Y resources.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • It is already 2022, you'll just need a staff backend nowadays with wp2static, frontend can be completely static with Cloudflare workers so your site will be blazing fast.

https://wp2static.com/addons/cloudflare-workers/

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin vyas
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@johnk said:

@legendary said:
    Wordpress without bloat (plugins) can run perfectly fine on 64 MB VPS. And starting from that, add 256MB for each plugin you install.

You really can't. PHP, MySQL, HTTPD, and you're a goner.

@bikegremlin fine article, but as always I caution against generalizations. "1 CPU" means different things, different places, as does IO (impacted by things like latency).

And really, WP sites are just too arbitrary to slim down to X size blog needs Y resources.

All very good points. Thank you. :)

With that in mind:

1)
    I've edited the article by adding a more "explicit" link to my article explaining what a vCPU is. The article was already linked to from a table, but that's more easily missed.

Also, it should be noted that the article explains the vCPU primarily from the perspective of shared/reseller hosting (and CloudLinux) environments. Less correct for the sake of simplicity - it's an "iterative" teaching method that's worked well for me in practice when I'm trying to relay some knowledge.

2)
    I agree that "WP site" is a very arbitrary term. Still, I think that a rough, ball-park info is better than no info. I can always give more precise recommendations for particular websites, but I can't do that for a thousand people every day (or even month for that matter).

Having said that, I've added this note and a link to my article explaining how one can check their website's resource usage - that will definitely provide the most accurate info.

• I've also included a link to this discussion because I think it is productive.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

@Ryujin said:
    It is already 2022, you'll just need a staff backend nowadays with wp2static, frontend can be completely static with Cloudflare workers so your site will be blazing fast.

Every solution has its pros and cons.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
    WP2static with Cloudflare workers is a bit of a steeper learning curve for beginners, especially if they wish to have website comments, or run a WooCommerce webshop.

The article is intended for beginners (who don't know how much storage and/or RAM they need).

Thanked by (1)Ryujin

• @bikegremlin

Small is usually boring, in this case however is a good teaser.

Space for backup and/or images would be on my list of things to elaborate a bit more.

Also might want to add a note or two about wp6 and how it might change things on resources side

edited May 2022

@vyas said:
    @bikegremlin

Small is usually boring, in this case however is a good teaser.

Space for backup and/or images would be on my list of things to elaborate a bit more.

Also might want to add a note or two about wp6 and how it might change things on resources side

Thanks. :)
    I've added a note about backups and image optimization.

WordPress 6.0 is still in beta (to be released at the end of this month)?

Thanked by (1)vyas

• Minimum specs recommended for wp 5.x
    Mysql, php etc.
    https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

I suppose wp6 will spec php8.0 as minimum

In a site edit mode, will cpu core and rem requirements (and iops for shared hosting?) increase?

Probably so

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Interesting read @bikegremlin :) Was only able to skim it so far, however hope to find time to reply within the days ;)

edited May 2022

@Ympker said:
    Interesting read @bikegremlin :) Was only able to skim it so far, however hope to find time to reply within the days ;)

No rush.

As far as I figure, you are not likely to benefit from reading it.

The only potential benefit could come for any novice readers (including myself :) ) if you provide some additions or corrections.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

No rush.

As far as I figure, you are not likely to benefit from reading it.

The only potential benefit could come for any novice readers (including myself :) ) if you provide some additions or corrections.

You'd be surprised. There's always something you didn't know until you find out about it. Don't sell yourself short, either ;)

@Ympker said:

You'd be surprised. There's always something you didn't know until you find out about it. Don't sell yourself short, either ;)

True - every year I look back on myself and realise how stupid I was. :)

Regarding my expertise - it's realistic to say I'm an experienced user, but not a (real) developer. I aim to keep it that way. :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker _MS_

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

>

Regarding my expertise - it's realistic to say I'm an experienced user, but not a (real) developer. I aim to keep it that way. :)

For your own sanity, please do.

• @bikegremlin said:

@Ryujin said:
    It is already 2022, you'll just need a staff backend nowadays with wp2static, frontend can be completely static with Cloudflare workers so your site will be blazing fast.

Every solution has its pros and cons.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
    WP2static with Cloudflare workers is a bit of a steeper learning curve for beginners, especially if they wish to have website comments, or run a WooCommerce webshop.

The article is intended for beginners (who don't know how much storage and/or RAM they need)

Yeah, you are correct on that part, comments can be coded using workers or externally hosted using disqus but woocommerce is entirely out of the question as that needs a full rewrite to be compatible.

• @bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

True - every year I look back on myself and realise how stupid I was. :)

Idiot, but not #stupid

• Thanks for new article :)

FYI: there is some troubles with google captcha on your site. It never appears but comment form requires it.
    I tried to comment in whmbackupsolution article (tldr: on new HM nodes ftp and ftps backups to hetzner sb not works, but got lucky with some bash magic (HM scp > VPS > rsync to HetznerSB).

• @vyas said: HM?

>

Hostmantis native cpanel backup theoretically can backup to ftp/ftps/scp.
    bikegremlin wrote little faq how he backup from hostmantis to hetzner backup. He succeed with ftp(s), and failed with scp.
    On my (newer i think) node I failed with all protocols, but succeed with scp+bash shell.

Anyway, i want to wrote that in his comments, but google captcha for this never appears for me :anguished:

Thanked by (1)vyas
    edited May 2022

@SashkaPro said:

@vyas said: HM?

>

Hostmantis native cpanel backup theoretically can backup to ftp/ftps/scp.
    bikegremlin wrote little faq how he backup from hostmantis to hetzner backup. He succeed with ftp(s), and failed with scp.
    On my (newer i think) node I failed with all protocols, but succeed with scp+bash shell.

Anyway, i want to wrote that in his comments, but google captcha for this never appears for me :anguished:

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been off cPanel completely for a few months now (went full retard DirectAdmin :) ).

About the website comment problem (and the article update) - shoot me a PM (or make an off-topic section thread, to not bother anyone not-interested in that problem).

rEcaptcha is "invisible," but comments should be posted.

I've just tested - with and without a VPN and AdBlocker.
    Subscribe to comments doesn't work with an AdBlocker enabled, but commenting does.

...and I thought the website works 100% normally with an AdBlocker enabled. :(

Edit:
    And then it hit me - I had put the anti-spam filter to "max" due to some bot-comment swarm that only affected that one website. Put it back to normal, just in case (hoping the spambots don't have another go at it).