Adguard Free VS Adguard Premium

edited January 2023 in General

edited because i was drunk, this should be simple questions:

What is the differences between Adguard Free & Premium (ex: Family lifetime plan)?

do the free one block ads at network level or just in web browser?

i'm thinkin to buy family lifetime plan on Stacksocial to get rid android in app ads

Comments

• @ElonBezos said: are there any advantages for me to use the premium version of Adguard instead of this vpn i use?

since your use is explicit just to block in app ads and browsing, no there are no advantages

@ElonBezos said: do both free and premium one use the same dns ips?

Yes. you can't restrict dns query using a paid token / something that you get purchase authentication. dns query will be limited by ip-based filtering only.

If you want the 'full' feature that adguard have (like certain apps blocking, which is just a set of predefined rules), self-host your own adguard-home, if you want multiple entry point use adguard-proxy to forward dns to the main adguard-home instance.

But well, if you do enjoy using adguard (and honestly i do too), why not just chime in premium?. development process cost money. and if it's free, you're the product

thanks for reading my shitposting ted talk

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• I already have 2 lifetime plans, just in case reincarnation exists and I get to live twice.

Thanked by (3)Amitz taizi ElonBezos

How are you... online?

• @root said:
    I already have 2 lifetime plans, just in case reincarnation exists and I get to live twice.

What's the difference between self hosted?

• rootroot OG
    edited January 2023

At DNS level there is no difference. With self-hosted you could have more flexibility on blacklists, but that's about it.

With Adguard premium you also get a licence to a client-side software (for Windows, Android, iOS, but no Linux or BSD) which blocks ads in a more advanced way by denying access for other applications to servers which have ads, including connections with SSL. This is more like IP based, instead of DNS based. The software acts as a VPN connection on mobile, so you can't use a VPN at the same time. Please note there is no support for Linux desktops with this software (however they do have some love for Linux because a source code of Adguard Home is on Github).

How are you... online?

• It seems there is a small offer on Stacksocial: 15% off with coupon RWEOCKJ

How are you... online?

• There seem to be frequently quite good coupons for Adguard lifetimes. ADGUARD1 recently gave a 30% off the lifetime plans, not sure if still working.

• TheDPTheDP OG
    edited January 2023

To block ads, I've heard some people running Pi-hole on their VPS where they also have WG and just configure the local server for DNS in the WG configurations.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• edited January 2023

I used to use Pi-hole myself, but it is a lot more bloated than running AdGuard Home, both have simple docker images, but I liked AdGuard Home more, but since then, I have moved to https://nextdns.io for my dns blocking as I am able to use it externally on my mobile devices much easier, if I can find a way to use authentication and DNS-over-TLS and such with AdGuard Home on a VPS I will move back to that.

I also use uBlock Origin in Chrome, Edge and Firefox.

I use a older version of YogaDNS for my Windows systems for NextDNS integration as it captures all DNS requests, the the newer versions require payment for service mode, while the older version does not.

• @TheDP said: To block ads, I've heard some people running Pi-hole on their VPS where they also have WG and just configure the local server for DNS in the WG configurations.

Pi-hole and Adguard home are great tools but if you looking for something minimal, just install DNSCrypt and setup custom filters with its blacklist ip/domains from here or here. You could use Cloudflare with a built-in adblock.

• @root said:
    At DNS level there is no difference. With self-hosted you could have more flexibility on blacklists, but that's about it.

With Adguard premium you also get a licence to a client-side software (for Windows, Android, iOS, but no Linux or BSD) which blocks ads in a more advanced way by denying access for other applications to servers which have ads, including connections with SSL. This is more like IP based, instead of DNS based. The software acts as a VPN connection on mobile, so you can't use a VPN at the same time. Please note there is no support for Linux desktops with this software (however they do have some love for Linux because a source code of Adguard Home is on Github).

Ahh so!
    In conclusion, Premium AdGuard = VPN (on mobile) and for Windows, AdGuard will modify your dns host (null route the IP).

• rootroot OG
    edited January 2023

@Fritz said:

@root said:

Ahh so!
    In conclusion, Premium AdGuard = VPN (on mobile) and for Windows, AdGuard will modify your dns host (null route the IP).

Yes. The software acts as a local VPN, so all traffic goes through it. This way it can see all traffic. Some people like it, some people don't; after all it is a closed source software.

Anyway, the free solution (just DNS, without client-side software) is great too. But they could log your DNS requests in their DNS resolvers. No matter how you think about it, it all comes down to trust.

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@Fritz said:

@root said:

Ahh so!

Yes. The software acts as a local VPN, so all traffic goes through it. This way it can see all traffic. Some people like it, some people don't; after all it is a closed source software.

Anyway, the free solution (just DNS, without client-side software) is great too. But they could log your DNS requests in their DNS resolvers. No matter how you think about it, it all comes down to trust.

Okay I understand. It is a Local VPN, I thought it was a remote VPN.

Based on its features, quite fascinating!

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@Fritz said:

@root said:

@Fritz said:

@root said:

Ahh so!

Okay I understand. It is a Local VPN, I thought it was a remote VPN.

Based on its features, quite fascinating!

I am quite happy with Adguard lifetime. Using it on mobile (Android) and it is really awesome :)

• edited January 2023

i'm using wireguard vpn from NYR's script,
    if i set it with DNS from adguard (94.140.14.14, 94.140.15.15 or 94.140.14.15, 94.140.15.16 ) then all the android in app ads disappeared, tested with some kid's game knowing with bunch of anoying ads

the same also happen with web browsing, tested with chrome mobile at canyoublockit(DOT)com/extreme-test/ they all gone

This method was so effective that it made me delay buying the Adguard Premium

• I prefer uBlock Origin to Adguard

"He sounds like hearing him say to the liquor merchant: you who sell it what buys you better ?"
    F. De André --- Free NAT KVM

• @carlin0 said:
    I prefer uBlock Origin to Adguard

you mean for browsing only? yes right now i'm using uBlock Origin for firefox PC & mobile

• @ElonBezos said: firefox mobile

I'm going to throw up now.

Thanked by (1)ElonBezos