IP Whitelisting w/ Dynamic IP

MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
edited February 2023 in Help

Hey,

I have reason to access something via a whitelist system not controlled by me. Problem is, I seemingly now have a dynamic IP half the time. I would rather not bother them with new IP's every few days. How would you resolve this so you could access via one IP?

Proxy, VPN, specifics, generics?

Cheers

Comments

• You'll have to resort to either a proxy or a VPN I suppose.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@TheDP said:
    You'll have to resort to either a proxy or a VPN I suppose.

I was thinking of buying a private proxy, I have no idea who is a reputable and safe supplier tho.

May even be more convenient to buy a VPS with Windows. Probably too expensive though as I am not expensing this to the third party.

• Don't you have a low end VPS like everybody? :dizzy:
    I would add a wireguard VPN with specific route for the destination to go within the VPS connection. Just leave that VPN always on, almost no resource wasted when not using it.

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee Ympker
  • JabJab
    edited February 2023

or check how theirs whitelist (racist, it's allow-list now, duh) works - maybe you can provide DDNS name and it is resolved on connection - so your only job (your router mostly?) would be updated that hostname at DDNS provider

// However no idea if you want to trust some random DDNS provider and maybe run yourself via one of your domains that you control and that have nice API to update DNS or something (cloudflare?)

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• Cheap box with a VPN solves the problem.

Hell you have boxes with VPNs already probably so just use one of those.

Don't make things to complicated.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • @MichaelCee said:

@TheDP said:
    You'll have to resort to either a proxy or a VPN I suppose.

I was thinking of buying a private proxy, I have no idea who is a reputable and safe supplier tho.

You'd be better off running your own WG on a VPS.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• VPN is fine, but if what you're trying to access is just a fixed web server then you can even do a port-forward with iptables and let the endpoints handle their own security.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

I also use a tiny vps box with ovpn/wg for a whitelist login site of mine.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • skorupionskorupion Services Provider

Random VPS with wireguard should do

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

That leads me in to asking.. any provider recommendations? 😉

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited February 2023

@MichaelCee said:

As for NAT VPS for VPN, I have been happy with @natvps_uk :)
    Current promo is a FR vps for under 2GBP/year.
    Regarding the fact that you just need the IP and no super high speed, that should be more than sufficient.

If you want a dedicated IP for yourself rather than shared (NAT), get a budget KVM line vps from @NDTN for 15€/year 10Gbps :)

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • I have a dynamic IP too, here's how I worked around it/solutions that I found:

• for websites/web areas, cloudflare tunnels thing;
    • for servers/whitelisting/allow stuff: port knocking and/or CSF + csf.dyndns and a docker container or bash script that updates a DNS entry in Cloudflare with my IP. It checks every 5 minutes if it changed and updates it accordingly.

Been using this kind of setup for 6 months and going strong.

@Ympker said:

@MichaelCee said:

As for NAT VPS for VPN, I have been happy with @natvps_uk :)
    Current promo is a FR vps for under 2GBP/year.
    Regarding the fact that you just need the IP and no super high speed, that should be more than sufficient.

If you want a dedicated IP for yourself rather than shared (NAT), get a budget KVM line vps from @NDTN for 15€/year 10Gbps :)

Great! I remember starting out when GreenCloud were becoming somewhat established on the same forums years ago (not green). It’s cool to see they’re still here.

Will check if locations would cause conflict and probably go for that.

Thanked by (1)Ympker