Route48.org to cease operations.

FrankZFrankZ Moderator
edited March 2023 in Industry News

I saw this on Discord https://discord.gg/ipv6 ...

and then went to their web page and found this...

If this is true, I am sorry to see them go. It was a well run project.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

Comments

• Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• edited March 2023

hopefully not :s
    it's a sad day...

Thanked by (1)Cloudie

"He sounds like hearing him say to the liquor merchant: you who sell it what buys you better ?"
    F. De André --- Free NAT KVM

• Ah, crap ...

I am sorry to see this, but grateful for this one year.

Thanked by (2)carlin0 Cloudie
  • The time has come.

This is pretty much predictable.

Bandwidth usage hundreds of TB is also common.

They are not ready for this cruel world. Bye @masterteddyAU (one of the well known Admins).

Thanked by (1)Cloudie
  • so sad.... but we live in a world full of no-brainers, we also destroy out planet..so no wonder that they close the doors.. @Zappie thank you for trying

• That's sad! It'd be interesting to hear more about the abuse and what was done to prevent that's outside of the norm of services that market to LE*

Thanked by (1)Cloudie
  • MasonMason AdministratorOG

Thanks for shooting your shot and doing something good for the community, @Cloudie @Zappie! Godspeed.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• edited March 2023

Not surprising, because I can't log in from early this year.
    Thanks for the fantastic but transitory service anyway.

Seldom providers offer tunnel broker via wire-guard and zero-tier.
    he.net is great, but requires dedicated IPv4.

Thanked by (1)Cloudie

MicroLXC is lovable.

• Kind of scary to read that the average is hundreds of TB a month when I'm sure there were countless people like me who maybe used maybe hundreds of MB per day. Almost positive I wouldn't even have hit 1GB per month!

Shame the service had to end, but not surprised hearing this. Although I always assumed the services were rate limited, so now I'm a bit surprised.

Thanked by (2)Cloudie Ympker
  • Thanks @Cloudie & @Zappie, it was really nice while it lasted!

Thanked by (1)Cloudie
  • CloudieCloudie Hosting ProviderServices Provider

Hello Everyone,

Firstly, thank you for the support the community, and our sponsors have provided to us over the last year.
    an email will be sent out to all current users of the Route48 Platform tomorrow, and users within our discord (which will stay online, as it's not just used for R48 - https://discord.gg/ipv6 ) are working on plans to reincarnate Route48 in their own way.

I am awaiting to hear from these users on what locations and plans they are looking at doing, before sending off details. for those users that still require the services Route48 provided.

any subnet within 2a06:a005::/32 (our ASN Allocation subnet) will continue to be provided free of charge to users, and a subsequent email will be sent out to those users, requesting RIPE Details (ORG, MNT, and Abuse Contact) where we will allocate them directly to their RIPE Account for their usage.

After which, we will be contacting all of our sponsors to tell them about the cease of the project (officially) at least, after we have sorted moving out the users that are currently on the platform. for them to reclaim the resources they have provided to the community.

Once again, we do thank all of our Community, and Sponsors.

We hoped that this project would have ran for many years to come, but unfortunately, I have made the decision to pull the plug so to speak due to the damages that have been caused to other networks in a senseless act (note; this is not the first attack we have had, nor the first lot of abuse towards our staff/team, but this is the first one that has caused downtimes and network stability issues for our providers in which we owe so much of Route48's success to, and therefore would be unfair to continue in it's current format)

Best Regards,
    Cloudie.

JoinTheDiscord! - https://discord.gg/ipv6

• The issue wasnt really the bandwidth abuse, there was some but we where good about catching those, it was the abuse towards staff when dealing with people who had been banned for ToS violations, the duplicate accounts set up to get more tunnels (usually used by proxy services), and the Huge DDoS attack that hit all of our nodes this morning resulting in 1 DC fully offline and a providers network getting dropped (temporarily) by their upstream's.

As @Cloudie said some staff and community members are setting up tunnel projects (Mainly Transit for hobbynets/home users) because they are devastated by the loss so those in discord keep an eye on the channels to find out who and where.

Kind Regards
    Adam G. (Smish)
    (Formerly) Route 48 Management

A staff member of Route48 and Operator of Smishcraft.

Views here are my own and do not reflect on Smishcraft Hosting or Route48

• It's a sad day because I'll have to re-enable IPv6 NAT on at least one server.
    Maybe I'll switch to Route96?

Thanked by (2)i4P1 Shot²

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• while I did not use the service as I have native ipv6 at home, it is such a shame that a really good thing has to be shutdown because of arseholes abusing the system and staff :(

Thanked by (3)webcraft nick_ FrankZ
  • that's too bad, i was relying on it to manage my salt minions from home

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• @Cloudie said:
    any subnet within 2a06:a005::/32 (our ASN Allocation subnet) will continue to be provided free of charge to users, and a subsequent email will be sent out to those users, requesting RIPE Details (ORG, MNT, and Abuse Contact) where we will allocate them directly to their RIPE Account for their usage.

Are the emails still be planed out or have already been sent out?
    Also will the assignments stay as 'ASSIGNED' or will that change?

• @readypup said: Are the emails still be planed out or have already been sent out?

Subject: Route48.org Service Closure Notice
    Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 23:24:23 -0700

• edited March 2023

Really sad :( Just signed up to R48 weeks ago. Thank you so much for providing great things to the community!

• @cmeerw said:

@readypup said: Are the emails still be planed out or have already been sent out?

Subject: Route48.org Service Closure Notice
    Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 23:24:23 -0700

Odd, I didn't get one.... Maybe it's done in batches?

@readypup said:
    Odd, I didn't get one.... Maybe it's done in batches?

10k odd emails.. can't send at once :)
    Well, I can.. but i didn't want to just throw everyone in the to field. :)

Thanked by (2)FrankZ readypup
  • Sad to see this very cool project go. Thanks for trying anyway

• I Hope it will be back again very soon.
    @Cloudie is so generous that despite he is closing the service now but he is still allotting the IP Prefix to everyone who was given through route48.

Thank you once again @Cloudie and their sponsor to make this project happen.

Currently Using Hetzner , OVH , Buyvm , Webhorizon , Hyonix , ConnectIndo

• Any chance to release the scripts for public?

@Cloudie

Just asking. :)

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @webz said:
    @Cloudie is so generous that despite he is closing the service now but he is still allotting the IP Prefix to everyone who was given through route48.

He should charge $7 one time per prefix to cover the manual work.
    Free for ONIX members.

• @yoursunny said:

@webz said:

Free for ONIX members.

what do u mean by "the manual job"? handjobs and so on.. ?

Thanked by (1)carlin0
  • @yoursunny said:

@webz said:

Free for ONIX members.

Agreed on this one-time payment and that to be $7 will be good enough.

Currently Using Hetzner , OVH , Buyvm , Webhorizon , Hyonix , ConnectIndo

@webz said:
    Agreed on this one-time payment and that to be $7 will be good enough.

haha definitely no payment required. the entire admin team of R48 is quite sad that it had to come to this point, and it is the least we could do by providing the resources promised to those that are utilizing them while still dismantling the platform.

just, it will take a few days there are around 200 requests sitting in the inbox at the moment for them last i looked, and I will be doing all of it manually (myself), in amoungst all my other duties etc. where some know that I get super duper busy at times etc.

but, i must remind those that have requested and are reading in here... PLEASE make sure that you have mnt-ref: ROUTE48-MNT on your ORG. otherwise it will reject and will annoy me :-p

but once again, thank you all for the support!

• Everything free getting abused, nothing new.

• @ascicode said:
    Everything free getting abused, nothing new.

Sad, maybe you can continue to run this project on a smaller scale for LET/LES users?

• @Neoon said:
    Sad, maybe you can continue to run this project on a smaller scale for LET/LES users?

MicroBGP / NanoBGP when?