Is the old KS-09 stilll a good deal in 2023?

I've had my trusty KS-09 from KimSufi for many years now and it's still adequate for my low end use;

Spec: Intel Xeon W3520 4c / 8t 2.66 GHz+ 16 GB DDR3 ECC 1333 MHz 2 x 240 GB SSD (100mbps)

but the price went up to 16.99 to 19.99 eur in December and it got me thinking about changing.

Is this still a good deal?

Can I find a dedi with more ram, or larger ssd based storage for the same money (or less!)

p.s. I wont spend more, as I already have a higher spec dedi for other use, this one is just for personal projects.

Comments

• edited March 2023

I would surely change to something better even though it's VPS not a dedi. I would grab a VPS like Netcup VPS-3000-G10. Surely it would be better in terms of performance, and it's 1Gbps not 100Mbps.

Thanked by (1)Adam1

KangServer.id - Doing some benchmarks on VPS / Server
    LowEnd VPS Deals - LowEnd / Cheap VPS Deals

• i think they have some offers now *2 ram with a small addition to above price... so change it and get a bigger box.

• @ehab said:
    i think they have some offers now *2 ram with a small addition to above price... so change it and get a bigger box.

yeah, for 2 eur more i can have 32GB ram and 2x480 nvme at kimsufi, however its more important to me to keep the price down, as it's already an increase over the original 16.99 i used to pay. I'm making less money (as are most) than before and so I'm looking to reduce my monthly outgoings now.

• For me, you just can't beat a dedicated server and OVH has some of the cheapest ones. The 100Mbps is a little retarded in 2023 and is definitely a hinderance. They're doing a spring sale now and I would definitely get one of the newer boxes over what you got at the same price point.

• @vish said:
    For me, you just can't beat a dedicated server and OVH has some of the cheapest ones. The 100Mbps is a little retarded in 2023 and is definitely a hinderance. They're doing a spring sale now and I would definitely get one of the newer boxes over what you got at the same price point.

but at 19.99, they dont offer anything with an ssd.

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

If it meets your needs, just keep it, unless you would be okay going to a VDS/VPS

• rm_rm_
    edited March 2023

Go back in time and get this one from a recent flash sale: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/184590/ovh-kimsufi-ks-le-1-available-again/p1
    Alternatively, wait for it to be available again. 15 EUR+VAT for 2x800 GB SSD, and people report actually getting 2x960 GB. 2x RAM too.

• @bruh21 said: If it meets your needs, just keep it

Well, easy to say, but it's a good idea to evaluate after x years and after a 15% price increase

• @rm_ said: Alternatively, wait for it to be available again. 15 EUR+VAT for 2x800 GB SSD, and people report actually getting 2x960 GB. 2x RAM too.

If you follow the link and through to OVH, you'll see it is indeed available again on that product code, but OVH have changed the spec somewhat, the SSD's have been replaced with spinners and the price is now 19.99.

• @febryanvaldo said:
    I would surely change to something better even though it's VPS not a dedi. I would grab a VPS like Netcup VPS-3000-G10. Surely it would be better in terms of performance, and it's 1Gbps not 100Mbps.

This could well be a good enough option -how is netcup?

• @Adam1 said:
    If you follow the link and through to OVH, you'll see it is indeed available again on that product code, but OVH have changed the spec somewhat, the SSD's have been replaced with spinners and the price is now 19.99.

Yeah, I was surprised to see that. They never reused product codes for a different spec server for a different price before.

• edited March 2023

@Adam1 said:

@febryanvaldo said:

This could well be a good enough option -how is netcup?

Netcup so far is good, but i used the Root Server (RS) not the vServer (VPS). It's because the minimun billing period for vServer is 6 months, while the Root Server simply 1 month.

KangServer.id - Doing some benchmarks on VPS / Server
    LowEnd VPS Deals - LowEnd / Cheap VPS Deals