what is your first VPS provider, and how was your experience

2»

Comments

• BurstVPS

Thanked by (1)selalumenang
  • @terrorgen said:
    I think I got an ovh for $3 a month.

At some point got burned by alpharacks or their ilk. They never understood why I needed a routed /64 and proceeded giving me 100 v6 addresses on link.
    Never able to actually use the vps anyways.

Alpha racks that brings back the nightmares

Thanked by (2)selalumenang lemoncube

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• ramnode, 1vcpu 128mb ram 15$ a year

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• Cant remember exactly, but it would be either Layered Tech or iWeb. Layered Tech was acquired by some big player and I think iWeb was rebranded into something else.
    I know I had a dedi with one and a few vps's with the other, but I cant recall which one was what since this was 20+ years ago.

• edited January 2023

You had a dedi with Layered Tech :)

@rcy026 said: iWeb was rebranded into something else.

I rememeber this one :) Hosted there from 2009 to 2012. They were okay even after the sale.

iWebFusion -> iWF Hosting / H4Y Technologies LLC

Tiny VPS - ...name (08/02/2009 - 07/03/2009) $3.47 USD
    Sub Total: $3.47 USD
    Credit: $0.00 USD
    Total: $3.47 USD

• @Mumbly said:

@rcy026 said: iWeb was rebranded into something else.

I rememeber this one :)

iWebFusion -> iWF Hosting / H4Y Technologies LLC

Not the same, iWeb was a canadian hosting company. It seems they were aquired by Leaseweb.

Thanked by (1)Mumbly
  • edited January 2023

@rcy026 said: iWeb was a canadian hosting company. It seems they were aquired by Leaseweb.

I see. Interesting. My "iWeb" were promoted at LEB around 2009 and Jacob (at least i think he's Jacob) pretty active in the community.

• Virpus, xen XVM512 with 2 cores 2 IPv4 and a buncha IPv6 for $40.80 USD a year in 2014. The price wasn't that bad for something with 2IPs and a license for DirectAdmin. But I was a bit shocked to find out I paid that much back then.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

BlueHost popped my cherry in 2014 because I didn't know any better at the time. Performance and experience was fine, but I paid out the nose on that one.

Moved everything to @Zappie in 2015 after I became a bit smarter on the web hosting world.

Thanked by (1)Ganonk

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• ialexpwialexpw OGServices Provider

I think one of my first was Afterburst - nice to see they seem to still be going.

Syuh - sftp, rsync & rclone accessible storage from 50GB to TBs.

• TheDPTheDP OG
    edited January 2023

I actually had a Dedicated Server before having a VPS :smiley:

The first DS I had was in 2005, at NetSonic.

Then 2 years later, my first VPS, at VPSLink, followed by RapidVPS.

Support was fast and I don't recall having any performance issues because I don't think I had that many neighbors.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• edited January 2023

My Gmail says I was on shared hosting in 2005 at http://www.lypha.com/ (visit it if you want to breathe 2005) but then there was the VPS from DEHE (bought by SolidHost later) for $46/m. It was probably low-end but with Cpanel and fully managed.

The first dedi from Liquid Web and also fully managed in 2006

Quantity: 1
       Processor: Dual Xeon 2.8GHZ HT EMT64
       Memory: 4GB DDR Registered ECC
       Hd1: 160GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
       Hd2: 160GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
       RemoteBackup: 50GB Remote Backup
       ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager
        (+InitAdmin)
        (+Fantastico/XController)
       SetupFee: $0 Setup Fee

Monthly Recurring Charges: $269
       Total First Month Charges: $269

I was a noob then so I overpaid, but now I charge noobs for installation and support myself

• HostarisHostaris Hosting Provider

OVH - wasn't too bad except the DDoS protection had a mind of its own.

• localhost :)

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero xleet
  • my first vps from cinfu it was 256gb ram 40hdd 1core i think it was 5$ monthly on 2011
    https://web.archive.org/web/20111120075105/http://www.cinfu.com/vps

• HostUS, years back in 2017. I had purchased two OVZ VPS at once from them, one was 768MB and the another one was 2GB. Their support was good, maybe still now too! But I'm not using their service anymore since they provide old CPUs, OVZ and obviously, for the pricing too compared to low-end providers!

Sign up at Dynadot [aff], spend $9.99 within 48 hours, and get $5.00 DynaDollars for domain registrations!

• My first vps was from a free tier of openstack and 2 paid openvz vps from Crissic in LA and Jacksonville

Ruby, JS Programmer and Linux user

• Ramhost in 2011, they are still running and the website still remains mostly what it was.

• @jam said: Crissic in LA and Jacksonville

Oh man I remember Crissic servers in JAX. My friend was specifically looking for Florida and that's what I had sourced.

• Don't remember anymore. Mmm ah yes Slicehost. Then I moved to Linode.

A handful of years later I got a Dedi box from Online.net, and 2014 a $7/y server on VPSDime. (still have it, it got a free bump a couple of years ago so its now 1c, 1GB Ram, 7GB SSD, 2TB bw)

I've also had / I have servers with Hosthatch, XVMLabs, Northhosts, Virmach, Aruba, Hetzner Cloud, Time4VPS, NanoKVM, Inception Hosting.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

I think it was Giga-Hosting.biz or serverprovider.de or smth like that.
    Giga Hosting still has a web archive record: https://web.archive.org/web/20030809020131/http://www.giga-hosting.biz:80/

Experience was meh but it was alright.

First LE provider was ABC Hosters from @Ricky who was a kind guy happy to help.

• debaserdebaser OG
    edited January 2023

Webperoni in 2006-ish. It worked fine for what I was doing on it back then (mail and usenet server). When they were acquired by server4you, I cancelled and went to Kimsufi.