Warning: NexusBytes Deadpool Imminent, MOVE YOUR DATA

Comments

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@jarland said:

@root said:
    @jarland - if an active email account at SmallWeb is "disabled" on "lucy" server, what can be done?

Is it the DA login that says disabled? If so, that goes back to an older issue. The account needs a password reset. This is ideally done through the provider's billing portal because the password reset on the DA login form is unlikely to get an email through (because it's so poorly designed and neighbors the excessive LetsEncrypt notices that I killed in a way that hits both).

Is it not a suspended account? (Had one earlier show up as “Disabled”)

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

@MichaelCee said:

@jarland said:

@root said:
    @jarland - if an active email account at SmallWeb is "disabled" on "lucy" server, what can be done?

Is it the DA login that says disabled? If so, that goes back to an older issue. The account needs a password reset. This is ideally done through the provider's billing portal because the password reset on the DA login form is unlikely to get an email through (because it's so poorly designed and neighbors the excessive LetsEncrypt notices that I killed in a way that hits both).

Is it not a suspended account? (Had one earlier show up as “Disabled”)

On Lucy there was an incident where I made a mistake and had to reconstruct /etc/passwd by hand. I couldn't recover /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow without a multi-week restore process (thanks jetbackup for your incredible performance at scale), so I reconstructed /etc/passwd by hand and instructed resellers in an email that DA passwords would need to be reset, as /etc/shadow had no entry for the users and that process would create them. DirectAdmin interprets lack of an entry in /etc/shadow as the account being disabled, and returns that error.

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee adly

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• Tried a password change. It ain't working. It still shows disabled. Anyway thanks @jarland - Respect.

SmallWeb is dead anyway so I will just leave it at that. I have another email account with other reseller to switch the project I had there. It's still sad to see this provider go.

Thanked by (1)jarland

How are you... online?

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

@root said:
    Tried a password change. It ain't working. It still shows disabled. Anyway thanks @jarland - Respect.

SmallWeb is dead anyway so I will just leave it at that. I have another email account with other reseller to switch the project I had there. It's still sad to see this provider go.

I think, because of that issue on Lucy, when I send out emails notifying users of a termination date and giving them suggestions to migrate, I might want to reset their DA passwords and send them unique ones along with instructions to change it.

Working thought, but if users are stuck on this it really isn't the position their accounts need to die in.

Thanked by (1)ialexpw

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@dgc1980 said: I am looking at getting a purelymail.com..
    ..our infrastructure runs on the highly reliable AWS cloud.

Alongside a heap of other accounts, that like to try to hack/scan servers across the World. Not that Hetzner,OVH are any better. :|

Wonder if purelymail just use Amazon for outbound SMTP ...

• Client area is down. One of my reseller hosting server is up yet

edited February 2023

SmallWeb is gone.

Edit: Memories

• Yup can confirm what was left at my SmallWeb account on the LAX server is now gone. Also DNS for the panel no longer exists either (used to be lax.dapanel.net).

Annoyingly it just autorenewed using my account credit I had left, too only a few days ago.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

@CamoYoshi said: lax.dapanel.net

I'm pretty sure panel is the Pony's.. I humbly copied it and changed it to "portal" during my time..

I am very sorry my friend :disappointed:

Thanked by (2)CamoYoshi Francisco

Memory Lane Pt 2

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG
    edited February 2023

@jarland said:
    On Lucy there was an incident where I made a mistake

Francisco

Thanked by (2)jarland adly
  • @MichaelCee said:
    SmallWeb is gone.

Edit: Memories

Thanked by (1)Ympker

How are you... online?

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@MichaelCee said:
    SmallWeb is gone.

Sorry boss.

Francisco

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • @MichaelCee said:
    SmallWeb is gone.

Make BigWeb version!

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @MichaelCee said:
    SmallWeb is gone.

Squats are the new Push-ups

• Well, my Miami VM has been down for 4 hours...
    no billing or management panel access :(
    it was good while it lasted...

Ruby, JS Programmer and Linux user

• Miami down.

Any remaining location up?

• NL finally down

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• Man Down Man Down!

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• bob ded

• You know I have been thinking about this today as I scurried around fixing things and I think I am going to ride this one out.

In other words I am staying I am not leaving. Make me leave if you think you are able but I am staying.

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @terrorgen said:
    NL finally down

Yeah, my storage is gone. :cry:

Mail is still working. Where to move what to do?

Filen.io - use this link to signup and we both get extra 10GB free.
    https://filen.io/r/4d472d5cdb57f6663621a251065e0b51

• @MGarbis said: Where to move what to do?

Type refugee into the search box.

Thanked by (1)MGarbis

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @MGarbis said:

@terrorgen said:
    NL finally down

Yeah, my storage is gone. :cry:

Mail is still working. Where to move what to do?

Set up a secondary MX and backup now

Thanked by (1)MGarbis
  • @jarland said:
    Just a quick note on where I’ve settled for resold MXroute services from NexusBytes:

Everyone will get an email letting them know that their services will not be altered or harmed until a date at least 1 year in the future, and given a recommendation on where and how to migrate their services.

Basically I don’t want to take up the plans, deal with manually proving and approving all of their discounts and such, and I don’t want think I have incentives for another reseller that would make that amount of work worth it to them either. It’s really the cost to benefit ratio, and I think this is a healthy middle ground between letting users know our resellers are supported and backed by us in an emergency and just making sure everyone has ample time to get where they need to be.

It’s less than I wanted to do but it’s more than I should be obligated to do, compromising on both ends usually seems to offer the best balance.

@MGarbis, @jarland is keeping the service up for you until he ask you to either switch to him or other providers.

Thanked by (1)MGarbis

• nullroutenullroute Hosting Provider

@jarland said:
    Legal opinion seems to agree with two points:

1. The provider could likely take legal action against me, and while it’s not a guarantee that they could win anything from it, there’s enough there to discuss their options if they wanted to.

2. I should create an agreement with resellers to announce my intended course of action in such a case, moving forward.

So realistically, my liability here is potentially opening myself up for litigation from NexusBytes. That means one person could potentially give me trouble over it if he desired to.

I’d be willing to take that risk under the circumstances. Because I don’t anticipate legal action from NB. I’ll review the variables again, continue my attempts to reach the reseller, and if/when the time is right I’ll contact the customers and request their consent for the next step.

The extreme refusal to take minor legal risks doesn’t appear, to me, to be majorly helping corporations in America. There is continually plenty of legitimate litigation against them. The right thing to do is the right thing to do, whether it opens up risk or not. It’s fine to be calculated and not make large risks, which this isn’t (imagine the loss value that could be sought, it isn’t high), but never taking any isn’t brave or protecting anyone in the end is I suppose my point.

I know what you're thinking of doing, just don't do it, or you'll get sued for it.

Just offer a refugee plan and terminate the NB reseller service as soon as payment is late, the drama will come anyway.

Advice from a lawyer :)

Thanked by (2)dosai root

https://purplehost.com.br - Reliable, secure and affordable game hosting.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@nullroute said:

@jarland said:
    Legal opinion seems to agree with two points:

1. The provider could likely take legal action against me, and while it’s not a guarantee that they could win anything from it, there’s enough there to discuss their options if they wanted to.

2. I should create an agreement with resellers to announce my intended course of action in such a case, moving forward.

So realistically, my liability here is potentially opening myself up for litigation from NexusBytes. That means one person could potentially give me trouble over it if he desired to.

I’d be willing to take that risk under the circumstances. Because I don’t anticipate legal action from NB. I’ll review the variables again, continue my attempts to reach the reseller, and if/when the time is right I’ll contact the customers and request their consent for the next step.

The extreme refusal to take minor legal risks doesn’t appear, to me, to be majorly helping corporations in America. There is continually plenty of legitimate litigation against them. The right thing to do is the right thing to do, whether it opens up risk or not. It’s fine to be calculated and not make large risks, which this isn’t (imagine the loss value that could be sought, it isn’t high), but never taking any isn’t brave or protecting anyone in the end is I suppose my point.

I know what you're thinking of doing, just don't do it, or you'll get sued for it.

Just offer a refugee plan and terminate the NB reseller service as soon as payment is late, the drama will come anyway.

Advice from a lawyer :)

Wait, we have Saul Goodman at LES? :tongue:

• @imok said:
    Miami down.

Any remaining location up?

Some (All?) servers in Los Angeles are still up.

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider

As i posted the following on the other Green Forums:

@SGraf said:
    @Everyone Using The NB/Ex Smallweb Webhosting: I will offer you FREE 1 Year of a Small or Medium Web hosting Package in my Amsterdam Location. Just open a Ticket with a screenshot of the NB Billing area showing you have a plan active.
    (Usual Fraud Checks/Control does apply, I reserve the right to stop offering this - To new Users at any time. Limit: 1 Per User)

The offer for:

1 Year of Free Webhosting (Small or Medium Plan)
    to Users of the Smallweb/Nexusbytes Webhosting Services (before they went down)

is still valid!

Now available in .NL and .AT

However as the Billing Portal is down, I'm also happy to accept a screenshot of the PayPal transaction where you paid for the service to NB/Smallweb - as proof.

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Web-Hosting ★ LIR-Services ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★
    Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★

• I guess PayPal charge backs are now fair game for those with servers that went offline.

Thanked by (1)Ympker