VirMach - Complain - Moan - Praise - Chit Chat

Comments

• @FrankZ said:

@sh97 said:
    Does anyone know how long it takes for IPv6 request to be processed?

Location dependent. For me Frankfurt and Tokyo were fast. I still have open ticket since December (merged) for all other locations, except Tampa, I don't have anything in Tampa.

You need to fix that gaping hole in your network and get something in Tampa. :p

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider

@FrankZ said: Hey @VirMach what up next on the to do list ?

Finally setting up rDNS for 47.87.xx.xx

I think today we got like our maybe 13th or 15th abuse report with HV since however many months ago, maybe almost a year in a few months? Anyway they are rightfully very upset. /s

Actually I did a tally in January, it was up to a total of 10 back then so maybe we're closer to 17 unique reported IPv4 out of thousands. Definitely takes the crown for least abuse reports before freakout with any company. I guess now that they're offering VPS services soon they might have an interview with all their customers to first make sure they're not going to do anything bad before allowing them to order. So next thing is probably moving everyone off those servers since they just threatened a large fee and service termination and IP de-announcement, "and data will not be released as per our AUP." Whatever that means. We'll probably try to move Tampa to Miami, Chicago to Chicago and LAX to LAX.

Yep, looks like 16 total unique IPv4 reported since inception of service. About 200+ emails involved for these 16 IPv4 reported, because that makes total sense and makes the process very efficient. Definitely warrants letting us know next time they'll terminate services, charge $500, de-announce IPs, and whatever else.

Anyway, more upcoming fun migrations. I'm officially ranking HV below CC, LogicWeb, and Psychz. So let's see less than half a percent of IPv4 gets reported in a 6+ month period, 16% of hardware magically malfunctions after hands request, and then maybe 50x more convolution for same communication versus other providers we use if we measure it based on number of back and forth responses. Who knows there's a good chance I'm just crazy and it's all our fault and their other customers get less than 16 IPv4 reported per 5K IPv4 announced in half a year to a year.

Btw this is all over a UCEPROTECT3 listing, the company that charges money for delistings. I still have no idea why anyone legitimately uses them for anything. Apparently without rDNS, and while the IP address is on Spamhaus's PBL for no mailing, 3 people sent out spam and got listed.

Another fun fact I happened to deal with the report within 20 minutes this time around, I guess that's not good enough, they say 24 hours to reply urgently then null before they even send the report.

@taizi said: what does account support level do?

I kept a mental note of your account based on it being marked the color it was so once you moved into the higher support level group I forgot it was you.

The request did get sent to the DC but it's not even related to the original transferring. The OS reload was completed, you asked about an account merge in a weird way, which I mean it was from the beginning so I tried explaining how it has to be requested from the account you want merged into that one, since you mentioned that account being merged into the one you're creating a ticket about. We can't merge anyone who asks for it by mentioning another account email or else anyone could request anyone's account to be merged into theirs. I was just saying it has to be requested from the account getting merged into another which is still true. You didn't mention that the account already had a ticket to get merged into this one.

No one else would've been able to help you in this case even if we hired more people. The fact that the tickets got merged definitely played a negative role in terms of communication.

@taizi said: imagine your retard script keeps merging everything into one shithole, can't avoid the merge even though I pay for the account support level every month.

Account support levels are a new addition, all of it hasn't been worked out for every possible script we utilize.

@AuroraZero said:

@FrankZ said:

@sh97 said:
    Does anyone know how long it takes for IPv6 request to be processed?

Location dependent. For me Frankfurt and Tokyo were fast. I still have open ticket since December (merged) for all other locations, except Tampa, I don't have anything in Tampa.

You need to fix that gaping hole in your network and get something in Tampa. :p

No more Tampa, good timing.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@VirMach said: Finally setting up rDNS for 47.87.xx.xx

Oooohhhh, 17 of 25 of my VMs are on that subnet. Is the rDNS automated system working now ?

@VirMach said: Btw this is all over a UCEPROTECT3 listing

Totally agree that nobody should take that RBL seriously. I am very surprised that HV does.

@VirMach said: We'll probably try to move Tampa to Miami, Chicago to Chicago and LAX to LAX.

I moved my Tampa VM to Miami when migrations were still open for specials and never looked back. I still have one HV in Chicago, and one in Los Angeles, honestly I have seen no advantage being with HV over the VMs I have in those locations at the other DC. IMO there is probably no reason to go through the extra hassles/cost regarding HV if it does not directly relate to having a positive effect on your customers. In my case it does not.

Please let us know when it is time to make IPv6 requests at locations other than Tokyo and Frankfurt.
    Thank you for taking the time to write out the update above.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• Hey, they are just looking for alternative sources of money, okey?
    Most providers would pay a small fee to keep IPs, VirMach is not most providers - they didn't do the research (-:

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

@FrankZ said: I moved my Tampa VM to Miami when migrations were still open for specials and never looked back. I still have one HV in Chicago, and one in Los Angeles, honestly I have seen no advantage being with HV over the VMs I have in those locations at the other DC. IMO there is probably no reason to go through the extra hassles/cost regarding HV if it does not directly relate to having a positive effect on your customers. In my case it does not.

In my testing, QN somehow outperformed but that's probably biased toward the fact that we're in LAX and they probably have a good connection from Chicago to LAX, and QN happens to use our ISP in their blend. Also it was definitely a lot easier setting up and maintaining the stuff with them.

It's really not even about the cost, definitely the hassle. They clearly hate us and want to get rid of us so I guess they win. I can't imagine they treat other customers in the ways they have with us, perhaps I struck a nerve with the higher ups early on.

They definitely weren't happy that I spoke so publicly/openly about everything going on. Or at least it seemed that way. Their "solution" to everything negative that happened was to offer to end our contract early. Which I mean fair enough but it's kind of funny how they initially acted as if they would make things right in some way or improve/make sure there wouldn't be a repeat of the grievances. I mean that tells me from the start that they clearly believe we're the problem, okay fine, who knows, maybe we are. Perhaps to them we're the low paying customer who isn't worth the hassle, even though I rarely bugged them for anything and only stood up for what's fair as necessary.

I just didn't want to put our customers through another batch of migrations after 2022 so I wanted to keep what we had but I guess that's also too much to ask for, for whatever reason.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

@FrankZ said: Please let us know when it is time to make IPv6 requests at locations other than Tokyo and Frankfurt.

The main issue still ends up being the level of support a good chunk of people will require when it comes to IPv6 and we're not ready to provide that level of support. Otherwise it's been ready. It's next on my list to revisit after the rDNS.

@FrankZ said: Oooohhhh, 17 of 25 of my VMs are on that subnet. Is the rDNS automated system working now ?

Not yet, but all we need to do is plug it all in for every subnet. Not too difficult or time consuming, best case scenario end of today.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • Ohhhh... VirMach giving dates, so I feel obligated to ask: EPYC? :P

For rDNS we're going to start with 47.87.128.0/24 and up. So if it works for anyone that's one above yours then it should work for you and so on, feel free to report errors. Right now they're just being added but not heavily tested, only spot tested. Will work within SolusVM.

• edited March 2023

"Floods" of rDNS (from me!). :p :bleep_bloop:
    IPv6 -dunno if my auld brain can cope. :'(

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@VirMach said: The main issue still ends up being the level of support a good chunk of people will require when it comes to IPv6 and we're not ready to provide that level of support. Otherwise it's been ready. It's next on my list to revisit after the rDNS.

I understand, but just FYI I've got a some extra time after the 16th of April. :sunglasses:

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@AlwaysSkint said: "Floods" of rDNS (from me!). :p :bleep_bloop:

I expected that you would be one of the first to jump on this train, and were the reason for my follow up question as to if it was automated. :wink:

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

Okay they should all be ready. Let me know if there's any problems.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ AlwaysSkint
  • edited March 2023

@VirMach said: Let me know if there's any problems.

This is scary! :o

I would like to migrate my server to an eligible host node and have the following rDNS set for my select service:

Automatically added to the Ticket. Emphatically NO, if it means losing the two additional IPs!

[Edit]
    Got too excited and perhaps "jumped the gun", as that's in the xxx.xxx.168.xxx range.

• JabJab
    edited March 2023

Can confirm, this is scary.

also doesn't seems automated - I am waiting for a fucking minute already!

• JabJab
    edited March 2023

@AlwaysSkint said: Got too excited and perhaps "jumped the gun", as that's in the xxx.xxx.168.xxx range.

--

47.87.128.0/24 and up.

and UP - so yours 168 should be up. At least this is how I understand it :D

also there is a chance we are idiots

Will work within SolusVM.

So I guess we should set it in SolusVM rather than WHMCS :D ?

HEY, it's working from SolusVM level!
    For: 47.87.165.XX

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

• edited March 2023

*** STOP PRESS ***
    I'm an idiot!
    Virmach did say "in SolusVM". xxx.xxx.199.xxx took immediately! :-D
    Goes off to do checking etc.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

edited March 2023

Interesting, so apparently HV's AS spam rate is 6.42%

Four of our /22 and one /24 is 0% and one /24 is 1% so if my math's correct that's about 0.05%

Meanwhile we have on their high scores:

• /24 with 53% spam rate
    • /23 with 44% spam rate
    • 4x /24 with 11% - 19% spam rate
    • 3x /22 with 7% to 13% spam rate
    • 1x /20 and 1x /21 with 7% to 12% spam rate

Wow if that's how we were treated I wonder how these other customers are treated and how they're still allowed to continue with them. They must be paying a lot more than we do I suppose.

By the way a little fun fact for everyone, UCEPROTECT does their listings based on "spamtraps" and they encourage everyone to participate. In fact, you could set one up right now, there's no verification process. Then, if someone sends an email to it, it gets added as a hit. So that means you could just put one you set up anywhere and if they even send one email to it they get listed. I'm sure no one has used this against people they don't like to quickly get them suspended from providers. Literally anyone can just sign up on your website with it, one email sent, boom, you just caused a blacklisting. Judge, Jury, Executioner. No actual logs. Ridiculous.

Fun fact number two, UCEPROTECT doesn't actually publish who they are, and they say this is to protect them. Anonymous. Surely no issues with a random group of anonymous people who say they're the good guys essentially running a non-profit charity. Although there's some information on who runs it, looks like only one or two people although they claim to have an entire team that they must pay and therefore charge for delistings.

Final note, I found this pretty funny, I was trying to explain how they're forcing our hand and there's no actual logs, their reply:

You also keep saying no evidence yet you are failing to look at the evidence (timestamp of you sending mail to spamtrap).

So "evidence" is considered anything falling in line with "29.03.2023 01:46 CEST+/- 1min"

Darn, I've been doing abuse reports wrong all along.

@Jab said: HEY, it's working from SolusVM level!
    For: 47.87.165.XX

Awesome, yeah. Haven't tried adding it direct to WHMCS yet but it might already be enabled by default on our module.

• rDNS/PTR = chg.xxxxxxx.com SUCCESS

Yahoo! Thanks @VirMach

Thanked by (1)VirMach

• I have no use for this feature, but one IP worked, with crazy level sub-domain like two.girls.one.domain.org so this conclude my testing and good job VirMach (and Alibaba, I guess).

Thanked by (1)VirMach

• @VirMach said:

@FrankZ said: Please let us know when it is time to make IPv6 requests at locations other than Tokyo and Frankfurt.

The main issue still ends up being the level of support a good chunk of people will require when it comes to IPv6 and we're not ready to provide that level of support. Otherwise it's been ready. It's next on my list to revisit after the rDNS.

Mentally strong people ask for IPv6 support on LES.

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint FrankZ

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @Virmach I can confirm that rDNS works perfectly with additional IPs, when added in SolusVM.
    I'm amazed at how quick the updates are applied. :)

Thanked by (1)ZA_capetown

edited March 2023

@AlwaysSkint said:
    @Virmach I can confirm that rDNS works perfectly with additional IPs, when added in SolusVM.
    I'm amazed at how quick the updates are applied. :)

We were pretty much ready for it on our end for a long time. I'm glad we were able to convince them as there was some push back but perhaps there was a misunderstanding on what was initially promised. So once they pointed it to us it was basically ready minus some time that was required for testing.

In other good news, outside of any tickets on hold like IPv6 and previously multi-account flagged tickets, ticket queue has gone all the way down to 80 tickets. Most the leftover is categorized and will quickly be handled together. (edit) To put this into perspective, that's 80 out of maybe 10,000 to 15,000 tickets since January 2023 and around 55,000 tickets in the last half a year.

I hope anyone who has recently made a ticket has noticed (for the most part, outside of a few particular requests) the huge improvement in response time. I think we're most definitely reaching the light at the end of the tunnel.

• @VirMach Just for completeness; any timescale on rDNS for 31.222.xxx.xxx (PHX)? Perhaps others too?

@AlwaysSkint said:
    @VirMach Just for completeness; any timescale on rDNS for 31.222.xxx.xxx (PHX)? Perhaps others too?

Dedipath IPv4 definitely won't have this feature. The Phoenix block (IPXO) can definitely be set up. We were going to wait and do it together with 47.87.xx.xx but obviously the timeline for that got pushed way out. I actually was deciding on that today. I still haven't made the decision. The decision being whether we should add that since it might end up being confusing for little benefit. For example, if 47.87.xx.xx is the only one that can do it then it's very easy to explain, so less confusion on people knowing which blocks use which method. That way we can say if 47.87.xx.xx then use control panel, everything else use the request button.

I think I'm waiting to see how we're going to do xTom. If we can set it up with them, then we'll definitely also do Phoenix. And in any case we may consider eventually swapping out the remainder since it's a pretty big negative to have to manually submit rDNS requests on our end as well and unfortunately it seems like there was both a price increase and swaps with that. We ate the price increase to avoid having to swap addresses for people, but it ended up happening anyway and those changes come with less warning than we'd like on our end.

• NL went smoothly. Notwithstanding the above, I now have rDNS on all the appropriate VMs/locations. A happy bunny (and not quite Easter too).

Thanked by (3)FrankZ VirMach ZA_capetown

Okay so I've kind of ballpark divided everything out that we have available right now, it'll look something like this for anyone interested.

Ryzens
    3 to Miami (for Tampa migration)
    10 to Tokyo (to fill out cabinet)
    3 to Chicago (for Chicago 2 migration)
    3 to Frankfurt
    11 to Amsterdam
    2 to LAX (for LAX 2 migration)

Epycs
    1 to Tokyo
    1 to Frankfurt
    1 to Amsterdam
    1 to NYC
    1 to LAX

For Epyc, don't yet have that many fully built Tokyo, Amsterdam, and NYC will most likely be first.

Storage
    1 to Amsterdam
    1 small storage server from left over drives, may go to Frankfurt.

Networking changes
    NYC will most likely be next location to get 2x1Gbit, and some servers that are 10Gbit capable will finally get that. ETA 2 weeks for that, we'll schedule maintenance window and try to send out one week notice. Then most likely LAX will get it next. I'll try to coordinate IPv6 around same time at least to an introductory level like Frankfurt, Tokyo, and Amsterdam.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@VirMach said: Okay so I've kind of ballpark divided everything out that we have available right now, it'll look something like this for anyone interested...

Okay.. but where the hell are the server pr0n pics?

Thanked by (2)FrankZ someTom

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• @VirMach how about a look at ATLZ005? high pings, high packet loss and speeds are like 10mbit/sec tops.