Free MetalVPS Intel i9-13900 Traditional Shell Account! Make Your Own VPSes!

Comments

• Old Debian time for me in my MetalVPS VM

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited May 2023

I wonder if I can make a backup btw :)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @iamvinh123 said:

I can create a backup so nvm about that (nvm = nevermind)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Creating a VM in Proxmox is a little bit of a pain, because sometimes the connection to Proxmox went lost while I'm trying to install Windows 7 in Proxmox.
    By the way, I used the new server and installed Proxmox with QEMU in it because the storage of the MetalVPS server (old one) is about to run out.

(By the way, I have deleted some stuffs from my home folder that I don't really need.)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • This server could have so much potential if people don't
    1. Run windows
    2. Install a graphical system
    3. Install proxmox just to run more VMs. There isn't a limit on how many VMs you could create directly on the server itself.

I was thinking whether to get an account just to use it as my NixOS build server but with all these inefficiencies... I am out.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hello!

It looks like @NotRealZeyad and @Exinjh might have decided to stick around as friends here in our thread. Yaaay! I reinstated their accounts. :) I also reinstated @NgocNguyen8372 :) and added a new account for @Kadim1998. :)

Right now we are a little short on disk space. So please take it easy. Sometime soon we can wipe and reset the server or at least delete a couple of the suspended accounts belonging to people who seem to have left.

root@fsn ~ # date; df -h .
    Fri May  5 12:36:20 AM UTC 2023
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/md4        3.4T  2.8T  431G  87% /
    root@fsn ~ # 

@Exinjh Would you kindly send me a PM about who you really are, where you really are, what you are running on the server, and what you are trying to accomplish. It's fine to joke around, but, really, if you want to keep your account, it's time to play it straight.

The way to run something heavy for awhile is to post here in this thread about what you are doing and why, how much resources will be needed, and when and for how long. Really short tests (a couple of minutes) might be okay if you aren't sure and need to check resource consumption.

I don't want MetalVPS to be a place where nobody can run anything because the server will be ruined for the other 499 users. I don't want MetalVPS to have super low limits on everything for everybody all the time. Hopefully MetalVPS can have a real sense of freedom -- if we talk with each other and share generously with careful planning.

Welcome back to the reinstated guys and welcome to @Kadim1998! @Kadim1998, please check the stuff I have been saying repeatedly to new users. I think you have enough experience that you will be okay without the standard welcome message, but, if you have any trouble or questions, please ask. Welcome to MetalVPS! <3

Is it compulsory? (I will not run benchmarks anymore, and decrease vCPUs of my VM.) Also, thanks for unsuspending my account!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited May 2023

I'll try to compile Buildroot in the new server

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Also @Not_Oles , delete @VMCreator 's home folder (or only disk files), because I sure his "public RDP" eating so much disk space.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Exinjh said:

@Not_Oles said:
    @Exinjh Would you kindly send me a PM about who you really are, where you really are, what you are running on the server, and what you are trying to accomplish. It's fine to joke around, but, really, if you want to keep your account, it's time to play it straight.

Is it compulsory? (I will not run benchmarks anymore, and decrease vCPUs of my VM.) Also, thanks for unsuspending my account!

and then:

@Exinjh said:
    Also @Not_Oles , delete @VMCreator 's home folder (or only disk files), because I sure his "public RDP" eating so much disk space.

It seems you're very reticent to comply with a pretty simple request (i.e. just telling @Not_Oles what you plan on doing with the machine that he's paying quite a lot of money for every month, and very kindly letting people use it on the condition that they share what they're doing so they help others learn from it), and yet at the same time picking faults with how others are using the machine.

Honestly, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to share what you're doing. Certainly, if it was my machine, if you couldn't comply with such a simple request, I wouldn't have given you access.

Thanked by (2)Yqua Not_Oles
  • @ralf said:

@Exinjh said:

@Not_Oles said:

Honestly, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to share what you're doing. Certainly, if it was my machine, if you couldn't comply with such a simple request, I wouldn't have given you access.

I agree with you there. Since you are not paying any money you should pay for the server by knowledge share. If not, just BUY a private server and do your thing.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @iamvinh123 said:
    I'll try to compile Buildroot in the new server

It works!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said: I haven't used Docker very much. From @yoursunny I heard that adding people to the docker group is equivalent to giving them root on the server. If you Google search "docker group privilege escalation" there seems to be a lot of information available.

As you said, I searched "Docker Privilege Escalation" on Google and found that as you mentioned, members of the Docker group do have a way to escape the container and obtain root privileges on the host with just a few simple commands. This is the first time I've known about such a vulnerability, which is a bit scary. I understand your concerns. Configuring the Docker environment in a VM myself should be safe, right?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @NodeSeek用户123 said:

@Not_Oles said: I haven't used Docker very much. From @yoursunny I heard that adding people to the docker group is equivalent to giving them root on the server. If you Google search "docker group privilege escalation" there seems to be a lot of information available.

As you said, I searched "Docker Privilege Escalation" on Google and found that as you mentioned, members of the Docker group do have a way to escape the container and obtain root privileges on the host with just a few simple commands. This is the first time I've known about such a vulnerability, which is a bit scary. I understand your concerns. Configuring the Docker environment in a VM myself should be safe, right?

From what I see, it only happens IF you mount the docker socket inside the container. Only docker management container like Portainer should do this (unless I missed something). If you are using portainer and it gets hacked, ofcourse your entire docker installation is compromised.

Portainer install command:

docker volume create portainer_data

docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9443:9443 --name portainer --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce:latest

See the line -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock ? That is mounting the docker socket inside the container. If you do not do it for all your containers, I don't see any issues...

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @NodeSeek用户123 said:
    I am very happy to know your interest in learning Chinese. I still remember when we were young, we first learned "拼音" when we learned Chinese. Learning Pinyin enables us to spell Chinese characters, similar to phonetic symbols in English. Then we will learn "偏旁与部首“(radicals and components). Radicals and components help us understand the same/similar meanings of some Chinese characters, similar to "roots", "prefixes" and "suffixes" in English. As for the order of Chinese characters to learn,seriously, I recommend looking at primary school or even kindergarten Chinese textbooks. They usually mark "Pinyin" which will help you pronounce. And the characters that appear in primary school/kindergarten Chinese textbooks are often the most basic and commonly used, aren't they?

I started learning Chinese more seriously when I was in 2nd grade primary school. At first, we learned about pinyin and radicals, same as you. And after learning pinyin and radicals we started to learn using textbooks. The first book we used to learn is HanYu (汉语). It consists of 2 books, textbook (课本) and exercise book (练习册). After that, we switched to the new book, the name of the book is ZhongWen (technically mean Chinese Language) (中文). It's a harder version of 汉语, with longer texts and more exercises.

In 汉语 textbook, the texts are still very easy and understandable, even there are no pinyin. We started from the first level, second level, and third level book, and after we finished learned the 3rd level book we switched to 3rd level of 中文 book. On 中文3 (3rd level of 中文), they usually mark pinyin. But starting from 中文5 (5th level), the pinyins are mostly removed from the text, except the one that is hard to understand.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:
    Hello again! Just wondering whether now might be a good time for everyone to make a current backup. Don't forget to test your backups so that you know you can restore from them. Best wishes!

I don't need a backup because i don't have anything important things on this thing:)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Just got Windows XP SP3 working on MetalVPS with RDP!

Windows XP installation took 5 minutes!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles Thank you so much for reinstating my account!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @iamvinh123 said:

@iamvinh123 said:

I can create a backup so nvm about that (nvm = nevermind)

Since I don't have anything important, I will not do a backup

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Exinjh said:
    Just got Windows XP SP3 working on MetalVPS with RDP!

Windows XP installation took 5 minutes!

Great

Thanked by (2)Exinjh Not_Oles
  • And yes, I can tell my XP VM configuration if someone need this.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Hi @Not_Oles im a 14 year old student in USA who wants to try metalvps for creating Qemu-KVM VMs. I also saw some posts about new i9-9900k server i would like to try that server too for gpu passthrough (vGPU) but i need sudo permissions for that gpu passthrough thing. My ed25519 SSH key ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIATeMYw8cEikz3WblEkWXuibINQw9kDwigwA4FcTYDzX eddsa-key-20230505
    Best wishes! John

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @SySSamin said: previous

@Not_Oles said: ant to make for Minecraft. Could

@Not_Oles said:

@SySSamin said:

@Yqua said:

@SySSamin said:
    Hi @Not_Oles
    I want to get MetalVPS for Server Hosting
    SSH key: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIMXxrJ2226g8KPky2Zg1PEjjIsRUXF/aI9+HGun5tkdv eddsa-key-20230429

Hello SysSamin,

can you tell us a little bit about yourself and what you want to use MetalVPS for?

I'm helping @Not_Oles out with MetalVPS, as an volunteer system administrator, due to the increase in users.

Hello. So I want to use Metal VPS for Testing a Minecraft Server like how to make it put plugins and use it. since my laptop is low end I can't do that.

Hi @SySSamin!

Thanks for your request! Your request is welcome, and I am trying to consider it carefully.

I wish you had included more information about yourself and your education and your experience. Also, I wonder about what brand and model laptop you are using. Could you please share more details?

I wonder about the plugin you want to make for Minecraft. Could you share specific details about what you want your plugin to do?

For somebody like me, who is clueless™ about Windows, Minecraft, and Java, Google found me this 2020 guide to Minecraft plugin development. Is this guide okay, or is there another guide which you would recommend?

How can I better understand details about you and about what you want to do on the server?

Best wishes!

Tom

Hello again, So my Laptop Model is HP ProBook 450 G3. I am learning about making Minecraft servers and I am not making a Plugin
    I am gonna learn how to use the Public Plugins. From Websites and test it.

• @OpenSourceUser said:
    Hi @Not_Oles im a 14 year old student in USA who wants to try metalvps for creating Qemu-KVM VMs. I also saw some posts about new i9-9900k server i would like to try that server too for gpu passthrough (vGPU) but i need sudo permissions for that gpu passthrough thing. My ed25519 SSH key ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIATeMYw8cEikz3WblEkWXuibINQw9kDwigwA4FcTYDzX eddsa-key-20230505
    Best wishes! John

that server does not have any GPUs so you can't do GPU passthrough.
    Freaking use punctuation please. Did your English teacher not teach you to use them?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• edited May 2023

Got Windows For Workgroups 3.11 working on MetalVPS! Even with USB-Tablet support!

BTW, DOS has problem - it always using 100% of CPU. But DosIdle can fix it! (i use it on this VM).
    Also, I can install network and video driver. But i will do it later. I can make tutorial how to make this VM, and give link to DosIdle

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    edited May 2023

Hello, guys! it's a great morning here in the Sonoran Desert! 🗽🇺🇸🇲🇽🏜️

I looked quickly through the posts which happened while I was sleeping, and I will respond to them soon.

Here's what top looked like this morning. I'm curious about processes 138234 and 148866. Would the guys running those processes please post about what is happening in those processes? For process 11502 and process 11028, I know a little bit, but not much, about what is happening. Based on prior experience, I think processes 11502 1nd 11028 will calm down in another hour or two when they have finished today's jobs.

Is anyone noticing reduced performance? We were looking at load averages about 8, and I don't recall anyone mentioning any performance issues. How is the server working for you now, with the load average at 16 and kswapd0 running at 50%?

Does anybody object to my not redacting usernames? Unless someone objects, I will stop redacting usernames.

Best wishes! Have a fun day!

Tom

root@fsn ~ # date; top -n 1 -b | head -n 20
    Fri May  5 02:46:57 PM UTC 2023
    top - 14:46:57 up 6 days, 16:15, 14 users,  load average: 16.01, 14.60, 11.86
    Tasks: 465 total,   2 running, 463 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    %Cpu(s): 26.5 us,  8.8 sy,  0.0 ni, 38.2 id,  2.9 wa,  0.0 hi,  2.9 si,  0.0 st 
    MiB Mem :  64098.1 total,    400.1 free,  54754.7 used,   9661.3 buff/cache     
    MiB Swap:  32734.0 total,  16188.8 free,  16545.2 used.   9343.4 avail Mem 

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
     138234 redacted  20   0   11.4g  10.1g   5032 R 375.0  16.1     15,31 qemu-sy+
     148866 redacted  20   0 9736192   8.0g   6708 S 356.2  12.8  80:45.57 qemu-sy+
      11502 redacted  20   0 4592848   2.6g   3824 S 287.5   4.2     42,10 qemu-sy+
      11028 redacted  20   0 3217944   1.6g   4188 S 193.8   2.5     35,24 qemu-sy+
     125435 redacted  20   0 9776260   6.8g   4596 S 162.5  10.9     20,12 qemu-sy+
     146584 redacted  20   0 9557108   6.8g   5224 S  87.5  10.9 226:49.16 qemu-sy+
        220 root      20   0       0      0      0 S  50.0   0.0  22:17.47 kswapd0
     129352 redacted  20   0   10.5g   5.5g   4380 S  25.0   8.7 328:13.17 qemu-sy+
     138118 redacted  20   0 9781.7m   4.8g   5632 S  25.0   7.6      8,23 qemu-sy+
     147573 redacted  20   0   10.4g   4.7g   6584 S   6.2   7.5  79:06.37 qemu-sy+
     149837 root      20   0   11592   5332   3268 R   6.2   0.0   0:00.01 top
          1 root      20   0  169600   8864   5748 S   0.0   0.0   0:05.74 systemd
          2 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0   0.0   0:00.26 kthreadd
    root@fsn ~ # 

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@terrorgen said:

@OpenSourceUser said:
    Hi @Not_Oles im a 14 year old student in USA who wants to try metalvps for creating Qemu-KVM VMs. I also saw some posts about new i9-9900k server i would like to try that server too for gpu passthrough (vGPU) but i need sudo permissions for that gpu passthrough thing. My ed25519 SSH key ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIATeMYw8cEikz3WblEkWXuibINQw9kDwigwA4FcTYDzX eddsa-key-20230505
    Best wishes! John

that server does not have any GPUs so you can't do GPU passthrough.

@terrorgen, About the i9-9900K, Intel seems to say

Processor Graphics
    Intel® UHD Graphics 630

"Processor Graphics indicates graphics processing circuitry integrated into the processor, providing the graphics, compute, media, and display capabilities. Processor graphics brands include . . . Intel® UHD Graphics"

Maybe you meant that the server doesn't have any separate graphics card, which seems to be true. But apparently there is at least some built-in, lower quality graphics capability? :)

Freaking use punctuation please. Did your English teacher not teach you to use them?

@terrorgen, your kind and gentle comments are much appreciated! I am very thankful that you are participating in this thread! You are so knowledgeable about so many things. And you share your knowledge here at LES, which is great. Thank you so much! <3

I think, if some guy misses a few punctuation marks, maybe that's less important than other concerns you have raised to which I am giving careful consideration. You said you do not want to use the MetalVPS i9-13900 to compile for Nix because too many guys are trying to run graphical stuff on the i9-13900. It concerns me deeply that one of the most important and helpful guys on LES wouldn't want to use MetalVPS for compiling. More on this point soon! :)

@iamvinh123 @dinopotato @itsmepaddi @NodeSeek用户123

May I please add @NodeSeek用户123 to the i9-9900K and also to the sudo group there?

• @Not_Oles I am sick and tired with people abusing free resources that you generously provided to the community.

I don't know how you keep your cool. Would you please teach me a thing or two?

Thanked by (2)sh97 Not_Oles

@Exinjh said:

Is it compulsory?

I see your question, "Is it compulsory?" Please take another look at what you told us originally at https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/137147/#Comment_137147 :-1:

Hi, @Not_Oles. I want to get an account in your MetalVPS. I'm 17 years old guy from France. I used Linux only on VMware - Alpine Linux. It's my favourite Linux distro! I want to try creating QEMU-KVM virtual machines, try creating LXC containers and proot-environments. I have nice Linux skill. Here's my SSH key: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIENxEGH5VonVLWw6nyrfa9idt/mPixNsYMjdrz3iT8oX eddsa-key-20230427. I hope I'll be accepted.

How can I continue giving you opportunities to show who you really are? You seem not to want to tell us, and not to tell me, even privately. :)

(I will not run benchmarks anymore, and decrease vCPUs of my VM.)

This misses the point! It's certainly okay to run benchmarks and to do other heavy stuff. I keep trying to say that the way to do heavy stuff is to post here about what you are doing, how, why, when, how long.

Also, thanks for unsuspending my account!

You're welcome! But your account seems to have been suspended again. :)

Best wishes!

@Exinjh said:
    Also @Not_Oles , delete @VMCreator 's home folder (or only disk files), because I sure his "public RDP" eating so much disk space.

Thanks for the suggestion to delete @VMCreator's files. That's definitely a step to be considered soon. Here is the present disk availability:

root@fsn ~ # date; df -h .
    Fri May  5 06:10:05 PM UTC 2023
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/md4        3.4T  2.8T  351G  90% /
    root@fsn ~ #