Free MetalVPS Intel i9-13900 Traditional Shell Account! Make Your Own VPSes!

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@cmeerw said:
    Just a suggestion as I see lots of people just stating that they want to learn creating VMs (without being any more specific). Why not start with running FreeDOS in a VM, and then maybe move up to NetBSD or something similar? Should be a lot less resource intensive and a very good learning opportunity.

@cmeerw said:
    Another idea would be to set some reasonable limits in /etc/security/limits.conf that would discourage memory-heavy long-running processes, but likely wouldn't affect normal shell usage.

Hi @cmeerw!

Thanks for your two wonderful suggestions! <3 I deliberately waited a few days before responding because I wanted to see what other guys said. But it's been quiet.

I'd love to for MetalVPS guys to run fun operating systems in VMs. Not only FreeDOS and NetBSD. Of course NetBSD might be the most wonderful for world class performance, but there are many others, old and new. How about serving from MetalVPS a PDP-11 emulated in Javascript or emulated in Python3? How about Hubris OS and the Humility debugger?

As for settings in /etc/security/limits.conf, I went to look at it just now for the first time. I will read more about it. But I see already that the limits relate to users logged in with PAM. And it was highly amusing to find the default limit configuration set up to differentiate between students and faculty. :)

Pretty soon it will be time to wipe and reinstall the i9-13900 server because it might be a little low on disk and on RAM. I don't want to prohibit the guys who are Windows and game fans, VPN fans, etc., and I'd prefer not to impose arbitrary limitations.

Privacy issues also are challenging. Some people really need privacy. It seems that a few others might use privacy to mask abuse. As MetalVPS proceeds, maybe I will figure out how to set it up better.

I deeply appreciate your visiting the MetalVPS threads once in awhile. I deeply appreciate your kind and insightful suggestions. Thank you so much! <3

Tom

Thanked by (1)terrorgen

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@Not_Oles said:

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Exinjh said:

@Exinjh said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Exinjh said:

@Exinjh Would you kindly send me a PM about who you really are, where you really are, what you are running on the server, and what you are trying to accomplish. It's fine to joke around, but, really, if you want to keep your account, it's time to play it straight.

Is it compulsory?

I see your question, "Is it compulsory?" Please take another look at what you told us originally at https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/137147/#Comment_137147

Hi, @Not_Oles. I want to get an account in your MetalVPS. I'm 17 years old guy from France. I used Linux only on VMware - Alpine Linux. It's my favourite Linux distro! I want to try creating QEMU-KVM virtual machines, try creating LXC containers and proot-environments. I have nice Linux skill. Here's my SSH key: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIENxEGH5VonVLWw6nyrfa9idt/mPixNsYMjdrz3iT8oX eddsa-key-20230427. I hope I'll be accepted.

How can I continue giving you opportunities to show who you really are? You seem not to want to tell us, and not to tell me, even privately. :)

(I will not run benchmarks anymore, and decrease vCPUs of my VM.)

This misses the point! It's certainly okay to run benchmarks and to do other heavy stuff. I keep trying to say that the way to do heavy stuff is to post here about what you are doing, how, why, when, how long.

Also, thanks for unsuspending my account!

You're welcome! But your account seems to have been suspended again. :)

Best wishes!

I'm from France, I had some Linux Course, and I have weak laptop. I running there Windows 10 Lite, Windows XP SP3 Professional and Windows For Workgroups 3.11. But soon i'll try some really old Linux distro! Also, I'll share benchmark results! So, for some time I can use many performance. I'll just run benchmarks again. I will run benchmarks today or tomorrow. But it will not be so long. Why i running benchmarks? I want to show you, guys power of MetalVPS VMs! In Windows 10 Lite VM, I running Chrome, DosBox and other things.

@Not_Oles , did you missed my message?

Got your message, thanks. I am a little slow. Please notice that there are messages from others to which I have not yet had a chance to reply. I need to ask you to please give me extra time. I am sorry that I am slow.

Additionally, I continue to be challenged by the question of how to verify the information you originally provided at https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/137147/#Comment_137147

Hi, @Not_Oles. I want to get an account in your MetalVPS. I'm 17 years old guy from France. I used Linux only on VMware - Alpine Linux. It's my favourite Linux distro! I want to try creating QEMU-KVM virtual machines, try creating LXC containers and proot-environments. I have nice Linux skill. Here's my SSH key: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIENxEGH5VonVLWw6nyrfa9idt/mPixNsYMjdrz3iT8oX eddsa-key-20230427. I hope I'll be accepted.

Best wishes!

Tom

Also one question how much RAM and storage does the VPS have and does /dev/KVM ACTUALLY exist.

Hi @SheGivMeItAgain! MetalVPS VPSes do not have pre-set RAM and disk storage. The idea is that people make a VPS with the command line, allocating appropriate RAM and disk for the task to be done by the VM. You might want to read through the thread and several tutorials which are mentioned. You also might notice a few hints that some people could be using more than a fair share of server resources. For sure you will notice that not everyone is posting in advance about what they are doing and what resources they need and for how long. You can see several people suggesting helpfully that limits should be imposed. You can see some users calling out other users for taking too much resources. In particular, at the moment, the server is a little low on RAM and on disk. The server might soon be wiped and reinstalled. I continue to consider the much appreciated suggestions which I am receiving. Thanks to @SheGivMeItAgain and to everyone here! <3 Tom

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Exinjh said:

@Exinjh said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Exinjh said:

@Exinjh Would you kindly send me a PM about who you really are, where you really are, what you are running on the server, and what you are trying to accomplish. It's fine to joke around, but, really, if you want to keep your account, it's time to play it straight.

Is it compulsory?

I see your question, "Is it compulsory?" Please take another look at what you told us originally at https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/137147/#Comment_137147

How can I continue giving you opportunities to show who you really are? You seem not to want to tell us, and not to tell me, even privately. :)

This misses the point! It's certainly okay to run benchmarks and to do other heavy stuff. I keep trying to say that the way to do heavy stuff is to post here about what you are doing, how, why, when, how long.

Best wishes!

I'm from France, I had some Linux Course, and I have weak laptop. I running there Windows 10 Lite, Windows XP SP3 Professional and Windows For Workgroups 3.11. But soon i'll try some really old Linux distro! Also, I'll share benchmark results! So, for some time I can use many performance. I'll just run benchmarks again. I will run benchmarks today or tomorrow. But it will not be so long. Why i running benchmarks? I want to show you, guys power of MetalVPS VMs! In Windows 10 Lite VM, I running Chrome, DosBox and other things.

Got your message, thanks. I am a little slow. Please notice that there are messages from others to which I have not yet had a chance to reply. I need to ask you to please give me extra time. I am sorry that I am slow.

Additionally, I continue to be challenged by the question of how to verify the information you originally provided at https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/137147/#Comment_137147

Best wishes!

Tom

Also one question how much RAM and storage does the VPS have and does /dev/KVM ACTUALLY exist.

Also @Not_Oles what usage are we allowed to used. Is it dependant on the usage or?

HI @SheGivMeItAgain! CPU usage and network usage are undefined. It's the same as for RAM and disk. Different tasks need different allocations. The idea is that people could post about what they are doing, how much is needed, and for how long. Hopefully posting and sharing would lead to people using larger amounts of resources when those were needed. In at least a few cases, some people sometimes have been running very resource intensive VMs. It's a good question how usage should be justified. Who am I to judge what others think of as a useful, fun, or even critically important task? Friendly greetings! Tom

Alright, any ETA when you can setup an account for me? Or if you even?

Sorry! I am so slow! I have to ask you, please, for some extra time. I've been busy replying to other people's comments and questions.

I keep thinking about taking a day off and about wiping and reinstalling the server. I'm thinking about how to handle user limits on the next incarnation of the i9-13900. How could limits be avoided? What do you think about my taking a day off? What are your ideas about how user limits should be handled? I'd be glad to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

• @Not_Oles said:

@somik said:

@Not_Oles said:

@somik said:
    @Not_Oles could you please grant me access to the server as well for testing?

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIL20uGbLP+kZoBRXDaANvHy/NeqPIfpDwrWmjBEYx6QF somik@DESKTOP-BO9INQ7

Hi!

Access to fsn granted. :) kvm group membership added.

Please try ssh [email protected] -p 42365. Should work on IPv4 or IPv6.

A potential issue is . . . nobody has sudo on fsn.

Thanks for helping! <3

Best!

Tom

Thanks. Dont think I need sudo, but if i do, i'll just pass you the command to run since I'm using the account to help you monitor the server usage/loads.

Not sure what's the KVM group,

root@fsn ~ # grep kvm /etc/group
    kvm:x:105:cpsd,fritz,notoles,nubuki,thagoat,iamvinh123,diarisia,itsmepaddi,youself64,nikitas,vmcreator,justsayori,akebi-nukui,kia,knja,freemjj,dough,welllam,dinopotato,rtedpro,newbeens,exajimag,anhkhoals01,zeyad,exinjh,nodeseek用户123,yqua,ngocnguyen,pan2018iop,kadim1998,somik
    root@fsn ~ # 

but here is what I can see

• You have a 32 core CPU with 64 GB ram
    • CPU average usage is about 6.25% over the period of 5 mins
    • RAM usage is 61.30% at the time of checking
    • Checking disk usage require's root access so you need to run the command du -hs /home/* periodically to check.
    • user r****o is using about 200% of cpu, which is about 2 cores out of 32 (yes, linux CPU usage is weird...)
    • server load average is 1.51, 2.10, 2.57 and for a 32 core CPU, it can go up to 32, 32, 32 so still got a lot of headroom.
    • Current issues, 60% RAM usage, 90% disk usage (which you will free up)

Did I miss anything?

Nope! Looks like you are spot on! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention, top 4 memory usage are by 4 users who each allocated 8GB of RAM to their windows VM:

r******o   167916  149 12.8 9443536 8416196 pts/1 Sl+  05:33  51:36 qemu-system-x86_64 -m 8G -cpu host,-hypervisor --enable-kvm -smp cores=4 -boot d -hda vm1.img -cdrom en_windows_10_22h2_x64_dvd.iso  
    e******g  125435 88.8 12.3 9750712 8098992 pts/9 Sl+  May04 2454:35 qemu-system-x86_64 -hda win10.img -m 8G  cores=4 -cpu host -enable-kvm -net nic -object rng-random,id=rng0,filename=/dev/urandom -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0 -vga qxl -monitor stdio -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet
    i******3  167164 24.3 11.9 10023656 7841624 pts/7 Sl+ 04:24  25:15 qemu-system-x86_64 -bios /home/i******3/win-vm/OVMF.fd -hda /home/i******3/win-vm/os.qcow2 -pflash /home/i******3/win-vm/OVMF-code.fd -pflash /home/i******3/win-vm/OVMF-vars.fd -vga qxl -m 8G -cpu host,-hypervisor -smp cores=4 -usbdevice tablet --enable-kvm 
    i******a+  129352 19.4 11.0 11077172 7239236 pts/17 Sl+ May04 469:10 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host,-hypervisor -m 8192 -smp cores=8,sockets=2 --enable-kvm -hda 11disk.qcow2 -cdrom win11.iso

I have edited out the port ranges and usernames to protect privacy for this. If @Not_Oles is ok with it, I would prefer to put unedited version instead.

Unless I missed it, nobody has objected to posting the usernames (which are the same as their forum nics except for capital letters usually being reduced).

So I think we can go ahead and post statistics and command line output without redacting usernames. 🌟

Have you missed my previous question about an ETA/response about having access?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @SheGivMeItAgain said:

@Not_Oles said:

@somik said:

@Not_Oles said:

@somik said:

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIL20uGbLP+kZoBRXDaANvHy/NeqPIfpDwrWmjBEYx6QF somik@DESKTOP-BO9INQ7

Hi!

Thanks for helping! <3

Best!

Tom

Thanks. Dont think I need sudo, but if i do, i'll just pass you the command to run since I'm using the account to help you monitor the server usage/loads.

kvm:x:105:cpsd,fritz,notoles,nubuki,thagoat,iamvinh123,diarisia,itsmepaddi,youself64,nikitas,vmcreator,justsayori,akebi-nukui,kia,knja,freemjj,dough,welllam,dinopotato,rtedpro,newbeens,exajimag,anhkhoals01,zeyad,exinjh,nodeseek用户123,yqua,ngocnguyen,pan2018iop,kadim1998,somik
    root@fsn ~ # 

• Checking disk usage require's root access so you need to run the command du -hs /home/* periodically to check.
    • user r****o is using about 200% of cpu, which is about 2 cores out of 32 (yes, linux CPU usage is weird...)
    • server load average is 1.51, 2.10, 2.57 and for a 32 core CPU, it can go up to 32, 32, 32 so still got a lot of headroom.

Did I miss anything?

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention, top 4 memory usage are by 4 users who each allocated 8GB of RAM to their windows VM:

r******o   167916  149 12.8 9443536 8416196 pts/1 Sl+  05:33  51:36 qemu-system-x86_64 -m 8G -cpu host,-hypervisor --enable-kvm -smp cores=4 -boot d -hda vm1.img -cdrom en_windows_10_22h2_x64_dvd.iso  
    e******g  125435 88.8 12.3 9750712 8098992 pts/9 Sl+  May04 2454:35 qemu-system-x86_64 -hda win10.img -m 8G  cores=4 -cpu host -enable-kvm -net nic -object rng-random,id=rng0,filename=/dev/urandom -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0 -vga qxl -monitor stdio -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet
    i******3  167164 24.3 11.9 10023656 7841624 pts/7 Sl+ 04:24  25:15 qemu-system-x86_64 -bios /home/i******3/win-vm/OVMF.fd -hda /home/i******3/win-vm/os.qcow2 -pflash /home/i******3/win-vm/OVMF-code.fd -pflash /home/i******3/win-vm/OVMF-vars.fd -vga qxl -m 8G -cpu host,-hypervisor -smp cores=4 -usbdevice tablet --enable-kvm 
    i******a+  129352 19.4 11.0 11077172 7239236 pts/17 Sl+ May04 469:10 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host,-hypervisor -m 8192 -smp cores=8,sockets=2 --enable-kvm -hda 11disk.qcow2 -cdrom win11.iso

I have edited out the port ranges and usernames to protect privacy for this. If @Not_Oles is ok with it, I would prefer to put unedited version instead.

Unless I missed it, nobody has objected to posting the usernames (which are the same as their forum nics except for capital letters usually being reduced).

So I think we can go ahead and post statistics and command line output without redacting usernames. 🌟

@Not_Oles apologies my wifi was acting up. I don't mind you taking a day off! Your choice.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @SheGivMeItAgain said:

I missed the previous question where you said please.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles terrorgen
  • @Not_Oles said:

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@Not_Oles said:

@SheGivMeItAgain said:
    Hey Oles! I'm commenting here to apply for access to the KVM group and for an account on the VPS.

Reason why I want an account:
    I don't have a good PC for testing and making websites as I'm fairly poor, having an account would allow me to expand my knowledge on LXC/KVM/Qemu VMs which would pile on top of my already known knowledge.

My SSH key fingerprint:
    SHA256:xlL9W0ia4fhK+K1hR4Aw47kHPjTmAA53jryNf+a1Q/0

If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll try fix it!

Thanks!

• Blake

Hi Blake!

Nice to see you! Welcome to LES and to MetalVPS!

About making your ssh key pair. . . . What you posted is almost, but not quite what we need. Please take a look around this thread at the keys other people have posted. Also, Google is your friend.

What equipment do you plan to use to access the server? Please tell us the equipment model name and model number plus operating system and the program providing access.

Thanks! More soon!

Tom

Ah my bad, I'm new to public keys as I use password based auth a lot 😂, anyway I do hope this SSH key works if not let me know;
    ssh-ed25519 xlL9W0ia4fhK+K1hR4Aw47kHPjTmAA53jryNf+a1Q/0 u0_a330@localhost

Also I am going to be accessing this over a Google Pixel 4, Using termux as the SSH client.

Also another question Tom, how does one obtain sudo permissions as well?

Nobody has sudo on the i9-13900. @yqua shares the root on the i9-13900. There is a second server, an i9-9900K, on which a few guys have been added. On the i9-9900K, the guys all have sudo.

I started the i9-9900K with a few guys who have been especially active in this thread.

So, there is no way at present to get sudo on the i9-13900. Those active in this thread might be added, with sudo, in the i9-9900K.

Looking ahead, all good things come into being and pass away. When it's time to wipe and reinstall the i9-13900 the guys on the i9-9900K will be able to use that server while the i9-13900 is being refreshed. :)

Friendly greetings! 🏜️

i9-9900K like everyone own it not you lol

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles Sorry to bother, but were you able to create my account?
    I wait your answer.
    thank you.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Server status:

Disk: 91% full
    Ram: 50% full
    Load average: 2.52, 1.81, 1.22

Top RAM users:

USER         PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
    dinopot+  189577 15.3 12.9 11031912 8475072 pts/15 Ssl+ May06  12:35 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host -m 8G -hda 10.qcow2 -cdrom 1022H2.iso -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3243-:80 -usbdevice tablet -smp 16 -vnc :96,password=on -monitor stdio --enable-kvm

exajimag  125435 75.1 12.7 9771804 8380512 pts/9 Sl+  May04 2880:03 qemu-system-x86_64 -hda win10.img -m 8G -vnc :59 -smp cores=4 -cpu host -enable-kvm -net user,hostfwd=tcp::4000-:4000 -net nic -object rng-random,id=rng0,filename=/dev/urandom -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0 -vga qxl -monitor stdio -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet

kadim19+  172671 13.7  6.1 5362260 4004316 pts/20 Sl+ May06 113:13 qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4G -cpu host --enable-kvm -smp cores=3 -boot d -hda Windwos-server-2022.qcow2 -monitor stdio -vnc :72,password=off -net nic,model=e1000 -net user,hostfwd=tcp::4389-:3399,hostfwd=tcp::2080-:80,hostfwd=tcp::27015-:27015 -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet -vga qxl

dinopot+  164280  3.4  6.0 11106776 4001824 pts/5 Ssl+ May06  47:56 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host -m 8G -hda Ubuntu.qcow2 -cdrom Ubuntu.iso -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::6969-:80 -usbdevice tablet -smp 16 -vnc :56,password=on -monitor stdio --enable-kvm

nubuki     11502 28.3  4.4 4615464 2903312 pts/13 Sl+ Apr29 3143:33 qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -serial mon:stdio -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2223-:23 -net nic,model=virtio -cpu host -enable-kvm -m 3G -smp 3 -hda debian.qcow2

nubuki     11028 23.8  3.0 3222636 1976240 pts/11 Sl+ Apr29 2642:17 qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -serial mon:stdio -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22 -net nic,model=virtio -cpu host -enable-kvm -smp 2 -m 2G -hda debian-sid-nocloud-amd64-daily.qcow2

@dinopotato running 2 VMs with a total of 16 GB Ram allocated
    @ExAjiMag running 1 VM with 8 GB Ram allocated
    @Kadim1998 running 1 VM with 4 GB of ram allocated
    @Nubuki running 2 VMs with a total of 5 GB of ram allocated

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@Not_Oles said:

@somik said:

@Not_Oles said:

@somik said:

Hi!

Thanks for helping! <3

Best!

Tom

root@fsn ~ # 

Did I miss anything?

EDIT:

@Not_Oles apologies my wifi was acting up. I don't mind you taking a day off! Your choice.

Hi @SheGivMeItAgain!

Welcome to MetalVPS! Please try something like:

ssh [email protected] -p 42365

Please read this thread carefully. Here are a few basics:

• Password access has been disabled. You need your key to log in.
    • Your password is in a mode 600 file in your home directory.
    • Your password might be needed later for sudo. But you have not yet been added to the sudo group.
    • Feel free to change your password.
    • You have been added to the kvm group.
    • If you want to make a KVM VPS it is recommended to start with slirp following this tutorial.
    • Alternatives include setting up proot as described earlier in this thread.
    • Additional node configuration might be needed for LXC and non-slirp qemu.
    • Please post your questions and progress reports and tutorials here in this thread. It benefits everyone to help answer everyone else's questions and to learn from everyone else's progress reports and tutorials. So, please post here instead of sending me PMs (PMs are okay if privacy really is necessary).
    root@fsn /home/shegivme # ls -alR
    .:
    total 28
    drwx------  3 shegivme shegivme 4096 May  7 00:54 .
    drwxr-xr-x 34 root     root     4096 May  7 00:50 ..
    -rw-r--r--  1 shegivme shegivme  220 May  7 00:50 .bash_logout
    -rw-r--r--  1 shegivme shegivme 3526 May  7 00:50 .bashrc
    -rw-r--r--  1 shegivme shegivme    0 May  7 00:50 .cloud-locale-test.skip
    -rw-------  1 shegivme shegivme   17 May  7 00:53 password
    -rw-r--r--  1 shegivme shegivme  807 May  7 00:50 .profile
    drwx------  2 shegivme shegivme 4096 May  7 00:54 .ssh

./.ssh:
    total 12
    drwx------ 2 shegivme shegivme 4096 May  7 00:54 .
    drwx------ 3 shegivme shegivme 4096 May  7 00:54 ..
    -rw------- 1 shegivme shegivme   99 May  7 00:55 authorized_keys
    root@fsn /home/shegivme # cat .ssh/authorized_keys 
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAICcks+nF7gVTDBnAgRd+ByWp3FZkhPQxknfWM6gFEMKR u0_a330@localhost
    root@fsn /home/shegivme # 

• @dinopotato said:

@Not_Oles said:

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@Not_Oles said:

@SheGivMeItAgain said:
    Hey Oles! I'm commenting here to apply for access to the KVM group and for an account on the VPS.

Reason why I want an account:
    I don't have a good PC for testing and making websites as I'm fairly poor, having an account would allow me to expand my knowledge on LXC/KVM/Qemu VMs which would pile on top of my already known knowledge.

My SSH key fingerprint:
    SHA256:xlL9W0ia4fhK+K1hR4Aw47kHPjTmAA53jryNf+a1Q/0

If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll try fix it!

Thanks!

• Blake

Hi Blake!

Nice to see you! Welcome to LES and to MetalVPS!

About making your ssh key pair. . . . What you posted is almost, but not quite what we need. Please take a look around this thread at the keys other people have posted. Also, Google is your friend.

What equipment do you plan to use to access the server? Please tell us the equipment model name and model number plus operating system and the program providing access.

Thanks! More soon!

Tom

Ah my bad, I'm new to public keys as I use password based auth a lot 😂, anyway I do hope this SSH key works if not let me know;
    ssh-ed25519 xlL9W0ia4fhK+K1hR4Aw47kHPjTmAA53jryNf+a1Q/0 u0_a330@localhost

Also I am going to be accessing this over a Google Pixel 4, Using termux as the SSH client.

Also another question Tom, how does one obtain sudo permissions as well?

Nobody has sudo on the i9-13900. @yqua shares the root on the i9-13900. There is a second server, an i9-9900K, on which a few guys have been added. On the i9-9900K, the guys all have sudo.

I started the i9-9900K with a few guys who have been especially active in this thread.

So, there is no way at present to get sudo on the i9-13900. Those active in this thread might be added, with sudo, in the i9-9900K.

Looking ahead, all good things come into being and pass away. When it's time to wipe and reinstall the i9-13900 the guys on the i9-9900K will be able to use that server while the i9-13900 is being refreshed. :)

Friendly greetings! 🏜️

i9-9900K like everyone own it not you lol

lol

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @SheGivMeItAgain said:

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@Not_Oles said:

@somik said:

@Not_Oles said:

@somik said:

Hi!

Thanks for helping! <3

Best!

Tom

root@fsn ~ # 

Did I miss anything?

EDIT:

good luck

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@somik said:
    Server status:

Disk: 91% full
    Ram: 50% full
    Load average: 2.52, 1.81, 1.22

Top RAM users:

USER         PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
    dinopot+  189577 15.3 12.9 11031912 8475072 pts/15 Ssl+ May06  12:35 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host -m 8G -hda 10.qcow2 -cdrom 1022H2.iso -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3243-:80 -usbdevice tablet -smp 16 -vnc :96,password=on -monitor stdio --enable-kvm

exajimag  125435 75.1 12.7 9771804 8380512 pts/9 Sl+  May04 2880:03 qemu-system-x86_64 -hda win10.img -m 8G -vnc :59 -smp cores=4 -cpu host -enable-kvm -net user,hostfwd=tcp::4000-:4000 -net nic -object rng-random,id=rng0,filename=/dev/urandom -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0 -vga qxl -monitor stdio -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet

kadim19+  172671 13.7  6.1 5362260 4004316 pts/20 Sl+ May06 113:13 qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4G -cpu host --enable-kvm -smp cores=3 -boot d -hda Windwos-server-2022.qcow2 -monitor stdio -vnc :72,password=off -net nic,model=e1000 -net user,hostfwd=tcp::4389-:3399,hostfwd=tcp::2080-:80,hostfwd=tcp::27015-:27015 -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet -vga qxl

dinopot+  164280  3.4  6.0 11106776 4001824 pts/5 Ssl+ May06  47:56 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host -m 8G -hda Ubuntu.qcow2 -cdrom Ubuntu.iso -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::6969-:80 -usbdevice tablet -smp 16 -vnc :56,password=on -monitor stdio --enable-kvm

nubuki     11502 28.3  4.4 4615464 2903312 pts/13 Sl+ Apr29 3143:33 qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -serial mon:stdio -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2223-:23 -net nic,model=virtio -cpu host -enable-kvm -m 3G -smp 3 -hda debian.qcow2

nubuki     11028 23.8  3.0 3222636 1976240 pts/11 Sl+ Apr29 2642:17 qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -serial mon:stdio -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22 -net nic,model=virtio -cpu host -enable-kvm -smp 2 -m 2G -hda debian-sid-nocloud-amd64-daily.qcow2

@dinopotato running 2 VMs with a total of 16 GB Ram allocated
    @ExAjiMag running 1 VM with 8 GB Ram allocated
    @Kadim1998 running 1 VM with 4 GB of ram allocated
    @Nubuki running 2 VMs with a total of 5 GB of ram allocated

@somik Thanks so much for posting the server status! It's wonderful! More soon! Thanks again! <3

• edited May 2023

This is neofetch in the current server/old server

iamvinh123@fsn:~$ ~/systeminfo/neofetch --stdout
    iamvinh123@fsn
    --------------
    Host: ASRockRack W680D4U-1L
    Kernel: 6.1.0-8-amd64
    Uptime: 8 days, 2 hours, 47 mins
    Packages: 596 (dpkg)
    Shell: bash 5.2.15
    Terminal: /dev/pts/25
    CPU: 13th Gen Intel i9-13900 (32) @ 5.300GHz
    GPU: Intel Raptor Lake-S GT1 [UHD Graphics 770]
    Memory: 40320MiB / 64098MiB

iamvinh123@fsn:~$

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@H4N50 said:

@H4N50 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@H4N50 said:

@Yqua said:

@H4N50 said:
    Hi there! I wanted to reach out and express my interest in trying something new. Although I don't have prior experience in creating unprivileged LXC containers or unprivileged KVM VPS, I believe it would be an exciting opportunity for me to learn and explore. I'm eager to take on the challenge and see what I can accomplish. Thank you for considering my request!
    Thanks
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIP76M+51oxuJNjxGt1TZo8dEGXvzgtt1KQd/iLOxYkWu

Hello @H4N50 ,
    could you tell us more about yourself and maybe other prior experiences you had with linux?

I have a strong passion for Linux and open source software. While I may not have direct experience with unprivileged LXC containers or unprivileged KVM VPS, I do have a solid understanding of Linux fundamentals and system administration. I also need an account since my pc is very bad and does not allow me to do almost anything, I await your response, thanks

That sounds really great! Congrats on your solid understanding of Linux fundamentals! I will keep looking forward to additional specific details about you and the setup you plan to install on the server! Best wishes! Tom

Thank you for your positive response, Tom! While my direct experience with Linux may be limited, I am genuinely eager to immerse myself in this exciting domain. I am confident in my ability to rapidly acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to contribute effectively to the project.

I understand that specific details about my background and the proposed server setup are crucial for your consideration. Although I may not have prior Linux-related projects to highlight, I am a dedicated individual who values learning and growth. I assure you that I will invest the necessary time and effort to familiarize myself with the intricacies of the project and successfully execute the planned setup.

Thank you again for your kind support and for considering my request.

@Not_Oles said:

@H4N50 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@H4N50 said:

@Yqua said:

@H4N50 said:
    Hi there! I wanted to reach out and express my interest in trying something new. Although I don't have prior experience in creating unprivileged LXC containers or unprivileged KVM VPS, I believe it would be an exciting opportunity for me to learn and explore. I'm eager to take on the challenge and see what I can accomplish. Thank you for considering my request!
    Thanks
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIP76M+51oxuJNjxGt1TZo8dEGXvzgtt1KQd/iLOxYkWu

Hello @H4N50 ,
    could you tell us more about yourself and maybe other prior experiences you had with linux?

I have a strong passion for Linux and open source software. While I may not have direct experience with unprivileged LXC containers or unprivileged KVM VPS, I do have a solid understanding of Linux fundamentals and system administration. I also need an account since my pc is very bad and does not allow me to do almost anything, I await your response, thanks

That sounds really great! Congrats on your solid understanding of Linux fundamentals! I will keep looking forward to additional specific details about you and the setup you plan to install on the server! Best wishes! Tom

Thank you for your positive response, Tom! While my direct experience with Linux may be limited, I am genuinely eager to immerse myself in this exciting domain. I am confident in my ability to rapidly acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to contribute effectively to the project.

I understand that specific details about my background and the proposed server setup are crucial for your consideration. Although I may not have prior Linux-related projects to highlight, I am a dedicated individual who values learning and growth. I assure you that I will invest the necessary time and effort to familiarize myself with the intricacies of the project and successfully execute the planned setup.
    Also mentioned before, my personal computer is bad and does not allow me to work on it, it would be very nice to have access to this great VPS

Thank you again for your kind support and for considering my request.

That sounds really great! Congrats on your dedication, solid values, and investment plans! I will keep looking forward to additional specific details about you and the setup you plan to install on the server! I will keep trying to give you a MetalVPS account! Best wishes! Tom

Tom, I am pleased to share the specific details of the setup I have in mind for the server.

Regarding the operating system, I plan to use Windows 10.

In addition to Windows 11, I intend to install VirtualBox.
    To support my development tasks, I will install Visual Studio Code

Furthermore, I will install the Chrome browser.

I also wanted to know about the connection to this VPS. is it via vnc?

Thank you for your attention to these details, and I appreciate your continued support.

Hi @H4N50!

Thanks for your message. Thanks for adjusting your message style away from polite-AI. Thanks for the details about your planned install!

1. Is it going to be Windows 10 or 11? Or maybe both?

2. Why run VirtualBox inside Windows inside Qemu?

3. What's going to run inside VirtualBox?

4. Why not run whatever is going to be run on VirtualBox inside Windows directly under Qemu?

5. Could you do everything you want to do using only open source software? If not, what would you be unable to do with only open source software?

About the connection to the VPS, you can use pretty much whatever you install. A lot of people do use VNC. Issues with VNC include no cut-and-paste plus high latency can be problematic. I guess Spice protocol might be better, at least it has cut-and-paste, but I believe a Spice server needs to be installed. There's also NoVNC. And Windows guys use RDP. Plus a bunch more.

Nothing about who or where you are? :( Nothing about your education or experience? :(

Please note that the server may be wiped soon. If you get started on a complex set-up please ensure that you have back-ups as you go along.

Best wishes!

Tom

@H4N50 said:
    @Not_Oles Sorry to bother, but were you able to create my account?
    I wait your answer.
    thank you.

I am slow. I need to ask you for some extra time. I try to reply to everyone. But there are other people in addition to just you.

How can you reasonably expect your pseudo polite-AI requests to succeed? Yes, they're funny, but, at some point, if you want an account, you need to convince our MetalVPS community that we should trust you

How can you reasonably expect your repeated requests to give a favorable impression? If you are this demanding for onboarding, how should the MetalVPS guys and I expect you to behave if when a problem arises?

I will give careful thought to anything you say. I will keep trying to give you a MetalVPS account.

• edited May 2023

@Not_Oles said:

@H4N50 said:
    I wait your answer.
    thank you.

I am slow. I need to ask you for some extra time. I try to reply to everyone. But there are other people in addition to just you.

How can you reasonably expect your pseudo polite-AI requests to succeed? Yes, they're funny, but, at some point, if you want an account, you need to convince our MetalVPS community that we should trust you

How can you reasonably expect your repeated requests to give a favorable impression? If you are this demanding for onboarding, how should the MetalVPS guys and I expect you to behave if when a problem arises?

I will give careful thought to anything you say. I will keep trying to give you a MetalVPS account.

I'm really sorry for rushing you, I won't do it anymore, then going back to the vps configuration issue, I thought about it and you're right, I don't need virtualbox, only with the aforementioned applications, the operating system that I will use would be windows 11 .
    I am a windows user so for the connection I will use RDP.
    I am from Argentina.
    thanks for the patience.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • I got the basic resource monitoring up and running. It's taking logs every 15 mins unless the server load is too high, in which case, it'll take logs every 5 mins. The time intervals are subject to change without notice. The scripts are all custom so there is a lot of room for improvements.

You can find the scripts in my github page here: https://github.com/somik123/server-resource-monitor

You can follow along and see the latest server loads here: http://fsn.metalvps.com:8000/latest.txt

All historical data is saved here as well: http://fsn.metalvps.com:8000/

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles sh97

@somik said:
    I got the basic resource monitoring up and running. It's taking logs every 15 mins unless the server load is too high, in which case, it'll take logs every 5 mins. The time intervals are subject to change without notice. The scripts are all custom so there is a lot of room for improvements.

You can find the scripts in my github page here: https://github.com/somik123/server-resource-monitor

You can follow along and see the latest server loads here: http://fsn.metalvps.com:8000/latest.txt

All historical data is saved here as well: http://fsn.metalvps.com:8000/

Thanks to @somik for wonderful resource monitoring! :) Yaaay! I will sleep better! 🌟

@H4N50 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@H4N50 said:
    I wait your answer.
    thank you.

I'm really sorry for rushing you, I won't do it anymore, then going back to the vps configuration issue, I thought about it and you're right, I don't need virtualbox, only with the aforementioned applications, the operating system that I will use would be windows 11 .
    I am a windows user so for the connection I will use RDP.
    I am from Argentina.
    thanks for the patience.

Hi from Mexico @H4N50!

Please take a quick look at https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/138794/#Comment_138794

It looks like you answered questions 1 and 2.

For questions 3 and 4, Chrome and VSCode are the only two applications which you mentioned, so am I right to understand that nothing else is going to be running inside Windows except Chrome and VSCode?

It looks like you might have missed question 5, so I will repeat question 5 here:

1. Could you do everything you want to do using only open source software? If not, what would you be unable to do with only open source software?

Nothing about your name? Nothing about your education or experience?

You got the "Please note that the server may be wiped soon. If you get started on a complex set-up please ensure that you have back-ups as you go along." Right?

Thanks and best wishes!

Tom

• edited May 2023

@Not_Oles said: The su command requires the root password. The sudo command requires the user's password. But you can run su with sudo as in sudo su. Then you already are root when accessing su, so su works without asking for root's password

I got it! The reason was that I stupidly confused su and sudo.
    When I used su, I did not specify the user, so it defaulted to switching to the root user, requiring the root user's password instead of my own password, so authentication failed;
    When I used sudo whoami, it required my own password, so it succeeded.Thank you very much. Now everything is running normally and no changes are needed. 🫡

Here are some summaries of what the "dim-witted piglet"(○ ̄(●●) ̄○) did next:

su and sudo are different commands:

su switches to another user, requiring the target user's password. In my case, the "Authentication failure" error occurred due to an incorrect password.

sudo allows regular users to execute specific commands with administrator privileges, requiring the current user's password. In my case, sudo whoami succeeded because I entered the correct password for the nodeSeek user123.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited May 2023

I misunderstood your previous question, I thought you were asking about which apps I wanted you to pre-install on the VPS, but if you mean which apps I am going to use, these would be the only ones:

• Chrome
    • Vscode
    • Discord
    • microsoft office
    • steam
    • epic games
    • spotify
    • Normally I will use RDP for the connection, but if necessary I will use other software such as AnyDesk, Parsec, ETC
    • Video editor like Adoble Premiere, CapCut.
      Answering question 5, I would only need Vscode with python.
      my name is Hans. I would like to experiment with this powerful VPS, good quality video editing and programming with python, among other things, I am requesting this VPS since my personal PC is very old and honestly I cannot work or do anything.

As for backups, do you mean my work, or a Windows backup? Anyway, I understand that the server may be deleted soon and I will take responsibility for my work.
    And one last question, will your server be permanently closed or will it just be maintenance?
    Thank you tom, I wait your answer.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
    root@fsn ~ # date; top -n 1 -b | head -n 20
    Sun May  7 03:11:25 AM UTC 2023
    top - 03:11:25 up 8 days,  4:39, 18 users,  load average: 2.81, 3.30, 3.78
    Tasks: 471 total,   1 running, 470 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    %Cpu(s): 17.6 us,  5.9 sy,  0.0 ni, 70.6 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st 
    MiB Mem :  64098.1 total,    577.3 free,  49363.6 used,  14874.9 buff/cache     
    MiB Swap:  32734.0 total,  22290.5 free,  10443.5 used.  14734.5 avail Mem 

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
     194152 shegivme  20   0   13.8g  12.0g  10824 S 266.7  19.3  85:47.92 kvm
     125435 exajimag  20   0 9785544   8.0g   6144 S  33.3  12.8     51,42 qemu-sy+
     191551 iamvinh+  20   0 9975.0m   7.9g  15456 S  26.7  12.5  53:20.99 qemu-sy+
     172671 kadim19+  20   0 5343756   3.7g   6440 S  20.0   5.9 157:40.36 qemu-sy+
      11502 nubuki    20   0 4600044   2.8g   3888 S   6.7   4.4     53,50 qemu-sy+
     189577 dinopot+  20   0   10.4g   5.6g  13768 S   6.7   9.0  33:51.05 qemu-sy+
          1 root      20   0  169600   8844   5628 S   0.0   0.0   0:06.70 systemd
          2 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0   0.0   0:00.30 kthreadd
          3 root       0 -20       0      0      0 I   0.0   0.0   0:00.00 rcu_gp
          4 root       0 -20       0      0      0 I   0.0   0.0   0:00.00 rcu_par+
          5 root       0 -20       0      0      0 I   0.0   0.0   0:00.00 slub_fl+
          6 root       0 -20       0      0      0 I   0.0   0.0   0:00.00 netns
          8 root       0 -20       0      0      0 I   0.0   0.0   0:00.00 kworker+
    root@fsn ~ # date; ps aux | grep 194152 | grep -v grep
    Sun May  7 03:13:57 AM UTC 2023
    shegivme  194152  175 19.2 14397364 12623580 ?   Sl   02:23  89:29 kvm -vnc :66,password=on -cpu host,vmx=on -cdrom tiny11 b1.iso?dl=0 -hda win11.img -smp 10 -m 12G -daemonize
    root      194156  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    02:23   0:00 [kvm-nx-lpage-recovery-194152]
    root      194168  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    02:23   0:00 [kvm-pit/194152]
    root@fsn ~ # 

In the command line for process 194152, which is the number one process in top, I see "-smp 10 -m 12G".

We have 8 performance cores. We have 64G. We have about 30 users; only a few are active at the moment.

What do you think is fair use?

What about posting in the thread in advance when you want to run higher use. How much? When? How long?

Thanks and best wishes!

Best!

Tom

@NodeSeek用户123 said:

@Not_Oles said: The su command requires the root password. The sudo command requires the user's password. But you can run su with sudo as in sudo su. Then you already are root when accessing su, so su works without asking for root's password

I got it! The reason was that I stupidly confused su and sudo.
    When I used su, I did not specify the user, so it defaulted to switching to the root user, requiring the root user's password instead of my own password, so authentication failed;
    When I used sudo whoami, it required my own password, so it succeeded.Thank you very much. Now everything is running normally and no changes are needed. 🫡

Here are some summaries of what the "dim-witted piglet"(○ ̄(●●) ̄○) did next:

su and sudo are different commands:

su switches to another user, requiring the target user's password. In my case, the "Authentication failure" error occurred due to an incorrect password.

sudo allows regular users to execute specific commands with administrator privileges, requiring the current user's password. In my case, sudo whoami succeeded because I entered the correct password for the nodeSeek user123.

Great that you got in and super great that sudo works!

Please feel free to go ahead and use the server heavily. Check what the other guys are doing first. Please post here if you want to "reserve" a large amount of resources.

Please install anything you want. If you break the server, don't worry, because breaking stuff is the best way to learn, and it's easy to reprovision the server.

Please let me take the occasion to thank you for your always courteous, always informative, and very helpful posts.

@NodeSeek用户123 and I are talking here about the new-to-MetalVPS i9-9900K server whereas we usually are talking about our wonderful i9-13900.

Thanked by (1)NodeSeek用户123

• Top RAM users:
    @SheGivMeItAgain -> 12 GB
    @ExAjiMag -> 8 GB
    @iamvinh123 -> 8 GB
    @dinopotato -> 8GB + 8GB -> 16 GB total
    @Kadim1998 -> 4GB
    @Nubuki -> 3GB + 2GB -> 5GB
    @welllam -> 2GB

shegivme  194152  178 19.0 14493996 12499656 ?   Sl   02:23 119:26 kvm -vnc :66,password=on -cpu host,vmx=on -cdrom tiny11 b1.iso?dl=0 -hda win11.img -smp 10 -m 12G -daemonize

exajimag  125435 76.9 12.7 9750592 8380484 pts/9 Sl+  May04 3112:20 qemu-system-x86_64 -hda win10.img -m 8G -vnc :59 -smp cores=4 -cpu host -enable-kvm -net user,hostfwd=tcp::4000-:4000 -net nic -object rng-random,id=rng0,filename=/dev/urandom -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0 -vga qxl -monitor stdio -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet

iamvinh+  191551 41.7 12.4 10211268 8139564 pts/7 Sl+ 00:59  62:43 qemu-system-x86_64 -bios /home/iamvinh123/win-vm/OVMF.fd -hda /home/iamvinh123/win-vm/os.qcow2 -pflash /home/iamvinh123/win-vm/OVMF-code.fd -pflash /home/iamvinh123/win-vm/OVMF-vars.fd -vga qxl -m 8G -cpu host,-hypervisor -smp cores=4 -usbdevice tablet --enable-kvm -monitor stdio -net nic,model=e1000 -net user,hostfwd=tcp::23390-:43389 -vnc 127.0.0.1:7357,password=on

dinopot+  189577 11.9  8.9 10996960 5847716 pts/15 Ssl+ May06  34:52 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host -m 8G -hda 10.qcow2 -cdrom 1022H2.iso -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3243-:80 -usbdevice tablet -smp 16 -vnc :96,password=on -monitor stdio --enable-kvm

kadim19+  172671 15.6  5.8 5385904 3813840 pts/20 Sl+ May06 162:00 qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4G -cpu host --enable-kvm -smp cores=3 -boot d -hda Windwos-server-2022.qcow2 -monitor stdio -vnc :72,password=off -net nic,model=e1000 -net user,hostfwd=tcp::4389-:3399,hostfwd=tcp::2080-:80,hostfwd=tcp::27015-:27015 -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet -vga qxl

dinopot+  164280  3.4  4.9 11080048 3232056 pts/5 Ssl+ May06  55:34 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host -m 8G -hda Ubuntu.qcow2 -cdrom Ubuntu.iso -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::6969-:80 -usbdevice tablet -smp 16 -vnc :56,password=on -monitor stdio --enable-kvm

nubuki     11502 28.6  4.3 4634996 2860400 pts/13 Sl+ Apr29 3231:21 qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -serial mon:stdio -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2223-:23 -net nic,model=virtio -cpu host -enable-kvm -m 3G -smp 3 -hda debian.qcow2

nubuki     11028 24.1  2.9 3255656 1951844 pts/11 Sl+ Apr29 2728:47 qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -serial mon:stdio -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22 -net nic,model=virtio -cpu host -enable-kvm -smp 2 -m 2G -hda debian-sid-nocloud-amd64-daily.qcow2

welllam    65608  0.1  0.9 2960892 602028 pts/12 Sl+  May01  10:55 qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -cpu host -enable-kvm -m 2G -hda /home/welllam/debian-sid-nocloud-amd64-daily.qcow2

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• somiksomik OG
    edited May 2023

@Not_Oles said:
    We have 8 performance cores. We have 64G. We have about 30 users; only a few are active at the moment.

I would say max of 4GB per user is a good limit.
    Windows 11 runs on 4GB, Windows 10 on 2GB, Most linux on 1GB or lower (with GUI).

@Not_Oles said:
    What about posting in the thread in advance when you want to run higher use. How much? When? How long?

If exceeding 4GB with VALID reason, like compiling code or some resource intensive works, then up to 8GB for a max of 2 hours? These numbers are pulled out of my @$$ so feel free to suggest better limits.

@Not_Oles said:
    Privacy issues also are challenging. Some people really need privacy. It seems that a few others might use privacy to mask abuse. As MetalVPS proceeds, maybe I will figure out how to set it up better.

I say since it's free, dont bother with privacy as of now. Once you move to paid system, then care about privacy and stuff. I mean you can easily setup NAT KVMs on this server and rent it out. A 8GB NAT KVM goes for quite a bit of money now a days.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @somik said:
    Top RAM users:
    @SheGivMeItAgain -> 12 GB
    @ExAjiMag -> 8 GB
    @iamvinh123 -> 8 GB
    @dinopotato -> 8GB + 8GB -> 16 GB total
    @Kadim1998 -> 4GB
    @Nubuki -> 3GB + 2GB -> 5GB
    @welllam -> 2GB

```
    shegivme 194152 178 19.0 14493996 12499656 ? Sl 02:23 119:26 kvm -vnc :66,password=on -cpu host,vmx=on -cdrom tiny11 b1.iso?dl=0 -hda win11.img -smp 10 -m 12G -daemonize

exajimag 125435 76.9 12.7 9750592 8380484 pts/9 Sl+ May04 3112:20 qemu-system-x86_64 -hda win10.img -m 8G -vnc :59 -smp cores=4 -cpu host -enable-kvm -net user,hostfwd=tcp::4000-:4000 -net nic -object rng-random,id=rng0,filename=/dev/urandom -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0 -vga qxl -monitor stdio -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet

iamvinh+ 191551 41.7 12.4 10211268 8139564 pts/7 Sl+ 00:59 62:43 qemu-system-x86_64 -bios /home/iamvinh123/win-vm/OVMF.fd -hda /home/iamvinh123/win-vm/os.qcow2 -pflash /home/iamvinh123/win-vm/OVMF-code.fd -pflash /home/iamvinh123/win-vm/OVMF-vars.fd -vga qxl -m 8G -cpu host,-hypervisor -smp cores=4 -usbdevice tablet --enable-kvm -monitor stdio -net nic,model=e1000 -net user,hostfwd=tcp::23390-:43389 -vnc 127.0.0.1:7357,password=on

dinopot+ 189577 11.9 8.9 10996960 5847716 pts/15 Ssl+ May06 34:52 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host -m 8G -hda 10.qcow2 -cdrom 1022H2.iso -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3243-:80 -usbdevice tablet -smp 16 -vnc :96,password=on -monitor stdio --enable-kvm

kadim19+ 172671 15.6 5.8 5385904 3813840 pts/20 Sl+ May06 162:00 qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4G -cpu host --enable-kvm -smp cores=3 -boot d -hda Windwos-server-2022.qcow2 -monitor stdio -vnc :72,password=off -net nic,model=e1000 -net user,hostfwd=tcp::4389-:3399,hostfwd=tcp::2080-:80,hostfwd=tcp::27015-:27015 -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet -vga qxl

dinopot+ 164280 3.4 4.9 11080048 3232056 pts/5 Ssl+ May06 55:34 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host -m 8G -hda Ubuntu.qcow2 -cdrom Ubuntu.iso -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::6969-:80 -usbdevice tablet -smp 16 -vnc :56,password=on -monitor stdio --enable-kvm

nubuki 11502 28.6 4.3 4634996 2860400 pts/13 Sl+ Apr29 3231:21 qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -serial mon:stdio -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2223-:23 -net nic,model=virtio -cpu host -enable-kvm -m 3G -smp 3 -hda debian.qcow2

nubuki 11028 24.1 2.9 3255656 1951844 pts/11 Sl+ Apr29 2728:47 qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -serial mon:stdio -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22 -net nic,model=virtio -cpu host -enable-kvm -smp 2 -m 2G -hda debian-sid-nocloud-amd64-daily.qcow2

welllam 65608 0.1 0.9 2960892 602028 pts/12 Sl+ May01 10:55 qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -cpu host -enable-kvm -m 2G -hda /home/welllam/debian-sid-nocloud-amd64-daily.qcow2

```> @Not_Oles said:

root@fsn ~ # date; top -n 1 -b | head -n 20
    Sun May  7 03:11:25 AM UTC 2023
    top - 03:11:25 up 8 days,  4:39, 18 users,  load average: 2.81, 3.30, 3.78
    Tasks: 471 total,   1 running, 470 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    %Cpu(s): 17.6 us,  5.9 sy,  0.0 ni, 70.6 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st 
    MiB Mem :  64098.1 total,    577.3 free,  49363.6 used,  14874.9 buff/cache     
    MiB Swap:  32734.0 total,  22290.5 free,  10443.5 used.  14734.5 avail Mem 

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
     194152 shegivme  20   0   13.8g  12.0g  10824 S 266.7  19.3  85:47.92 kvm
     125435 exajimag  20   0 9785544   8.0g   6144 S  33.3  12.8     51,42 qemu-sy+
     191551 iamvinh+  20   0 9975.0m   7.9g  15456 S  26.7  12.5  53:20.99 qemu-sy+
     172671 kadim19+  20   0 5343756   3.7g   6440 S  20.0   5.9 157:40.36 qemu-sy+
      11502 nubuki    20   0 4600044   2.8g   3888 S   6.7   4.4     53,50 qemu-sy+
     189577 dinopot+  20   0   10.4g   5.6g  13768 S   6.7   9.0  33:51.05 qemu-sy+
          1 root      20   0  169600   8844   5628 S   0.0   0.0   0:06.70 systemd
          2 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0   0.0   0:00.30 kthreadd
          3 root       0 -20       0      0      0 I   0.0   0.0   0:00.00 rcu_gp
          4 root       0 -20       0      0      0 I   0.0   0.0   0:00.00 rcu_par+
          5 root       0 -20       0      0      0 I   0.0   0.0   0:00.00 slub_fl+
          6 root       0 -20       0      0      0 I   0.0   0.0   0:00.00 netns
          8 root       0 -20       0      0      0 I   0.0   0.0   0:00.00 kworker+
    root@fsn ~ # date; ps aux | grep 194152 | grep -v grep
    Sun May  7 03:13:57 AM UTC 2023
    shegivme  194152  175 19.2 14397364 12623580 ?   Sl   02:23  89:29 kvm -vnc :66,password=on -cpu host,vmx=on -cdrom tiny11 b1.iso?dl=0 -hda win11.img -smp 10 -m 12G -daemonize
    root      194156  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    02:23   0:00 [kvm-nx-lpage-recovery-194152]
    root      194168  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    02:23   0:00 [kvm-pit/194152]
    root@fsn ~ # 

In the command line for process 194152, which is the number one process in top, I see "-smp 10 -m 12G".

Thanks and best wishes!

Best!

Tom

Apologies for the extensive use, I was supposed to 8 cores 8GB ram as chrome eats memory (as usual).

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:

@Exinjh said:

@Exinjh said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Exinjh said:

Is it compulsory?

Best wishes!

Best wishes!

Tom

Any ideas how to verify my information?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • I did it
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 on Proxmox UEFI

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Finally, Windows 7 on an Pentium CPU with only 66MHz

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @iamvinh123 said:
    Finally, Windows 7 on an Pentium CPU with only 66MHz

Windows 7 on Windows 10 on Linux, why?