Free NAT KVMs! -- Eleven Locations! -- US, EU, GB, JP -- FreeVPS.org

Comments

• @Not_Oles said: Watch the FreeVPS.org threads here at LES and on LET

I no longer visit LET though.

@Not_Oles said: Consider, investigate, evaluate, and respond to requests. When needed, discuss requests with the team.

That's fair

@Not_Oles said: If you wanted, you probably could help with the server administration and the websites.

Would be interesting to know how things work from behind the scenes, but probably not at this time.

@Not_Oles said: Longer term plans might include trying for 501(c)(3) status.

Has FreeVPS.org incorporated itself? If so, getting 501(c)(3) is pretty easy: just file with IRS. If the annual operating budget is less than $50,000, you don't even need to file the full tax report - Just send a note to IRS certifying that will do.
    Disclaimer: not tax advice.

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @terrorgen said:

Has FreeVPS.org incorporated itself? If so, getting 501(c)(3) is pretty easy: just file with IRS. If the annual operating budget is less than $50,000, you don't even need to file the full tax report - Just send a note to IRS certifying that will do.

I was under the impression that IRS declarations are needed if you are earning. If you are running a non-profit or not even earning any money, the filing should be very simple, no?
    PS. not familier with US law. Only Singapore IRAS rules that states profit above S$20k needs to be declared.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @somik said:

@terrorgen said:

I was under the impression that IRS declarations are needed if you are earning. If you are running a non-profit or not even earning any money, the filing should be very simple, no?
    PS. not familier with US law. Only Singapore IRAS rules that states profit above S$20k needs to be declared.

You are declaring that your operating budget (thus, income) is less than 50k, so IRS has a record. If you don't do this IRS can cancel your tax exempt status.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles somik

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@terrorgen said: Has FreeVPS.org incorporated itself?

No incorporation yet. No money to pay for formation documents, registered agent fees, and incorporation fees.

If so, getting 501(c)(3) is pretty easy: just file with IRS.

Will they approve the application?

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• edited May 2023

@Not_Oles said:

If so, getting 501(c)(3) is pretty easy: just file with IRS.

Will they approve the application?

Usually if the reason for tax exempt status fits the requirements of 501(c)(3), IRS will approve.

Getting tax exempt status is easier than incorporating.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• edited May 2023

edit : everything is fine

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @selalumenang said:
    edit : everything is fine

good 👍

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Hello all,
    We would like to inform you that we have made some modifications to the requirements. The updated criteria are as follows:

• LET/LES account must be 3 months or older to qualify
    • Active account (you need to have a decent amount of recent posts)
    • At least 50 or more non-spammy posts
    • At least 25 thanks on your profile
    • Donor plans now require a minimum equivalent of $5 in any currency, to any charity. For a VPS which you will be using for a long time, we believe this a fair ask. Above all, it is for a good cause.

We have kept the other requirements unchanged as we aim to keep the process accessible while deterring abuse as much as possible.

Thank you for your understanding!
    -The FreeVPS Team

Hello guys!

I was talking with the FreeVPS.org team, and I heard the great news that FreeVPS.org passed the milestone of having given out 50 servers! 56 to be precise.

The top locations by number of requests are ScaleBlade London (21), GTHost CHI (14), and Crunchbits CDA (12).

Thanks and congrats to all the FreeVPS.org providers, including ScaleBlade, GTHost, Crunchbits, WebHorizon, and PieHasBeenEaten!

Notably, I haven't heard any problem reports about any of the donated servers. That's awesome!

As we go forward, it would be nice to have another EU location and another location in Asia. Also, FreeVPS.org could use a Public Relations Director to take over management of the threads as well as a Project Leader.

Please feel free to get in touch if you want to join the FreeVPPS.org Team. And, of course, please do post here in this thread if you meet the requirements in the OP and want a free VPS.

Special thanks to DP, yoursunny, TheOnlyDK, sh97, Cloudie, Virtfusion, and others who have worked hard to help FreeVPS.org! <3

Best wishes!

Tom

• somiksomik OG
    edited May 2023

Great work FreeVPS team, and congrats on passing the milestone. Given that it is run fully by volunteers and the fact that there isn't a complaint thread about FreeVPS shows you're running the service better then many lowend providers! So congrats again to the team and keep up the good work.

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• Client No: 2139
    Your ID: 627525344596

ThanksGTHost

Thankscrunchbits

ThanksScaleBlade

ThanksPieHasBeenEaten

ThanksWebHorizon

Long live the FreeVPS!

I want to use this VPS to learn IPv6 networking. My plan is to learn and run a test private DNS64 + NAT64 server on the VPS. In addition, I want to try the ip6tnl and encapsulate IPv4 packets into IPv6 packets.

Preferred location is Chicago, USA.

Thanks to all volunteers at FreeVPS!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @dwight said:
    Client No: 2139
    Your ID: 627525344596

ThanksGTHost

Thankscrunchbits

ThanksScaleBlade

ThanksPieHasBeenEaten

ThanksWebHorizon

Long live the FreeVPS!

I want to use this VPS to learn IPv6 networking. My plan is to learn and run a test private DNS64 + NAT64 server on the VPS. In addition, I want to try the ip6tnl and encapsulate IPv4 packets into IPv6 packets.

Preferred location is Chicago, USA.

Thanks to all volunteers at FreeVPS!

All set, have fun!

• Added a new FAQ section - check it out!

• Wow these seem pretty cool! thanks for the offer

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles sh97
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Hosting Provider

tldr; london node ip change

Hey fellas, long time since we've posted.

We have been running successfully in the past, and continue to, but we have an announcement to make regarding our London node sponsored by @Jack_SBE.

Our provider is changing IP Address, 149.18.80.21(old) -> 82.215.64.76(new)

I've planned to make the transition on June 24th, 2PM IST.

All other servers will be upgraded to latest system software, and be rebooted.

This information will soon be relayed to all our users via an email too.

• ScalebladeScaleblade Hosting Provider

@FatGrizzly said:
    tldr; london node ip change

Hey fellas, long time since we've posted.

We have been running successfully in the past, and continue to, but we have an announcement to make regarding our London node sponsored by @Jack_SBE.

Our provider is changing IP Address, 149.18.80.21(old) -> 82.215.64.76(new)

I've planned to make the transition on June 24th, 2PM IST.

All other servers will be upgraded to latest system software, and be rebooted.

This information will soon be relayed to all our users via an email too.

Move to the owned range should ensure this never has to happen again.
    tldr on our end; suppliers, ip pricing and random fees - do I need to say more?

I'm sorry, the maintenance had to be skipped since I was stuck in traffic, It will commence now.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Most of the servers have finished rebooting, and are slowly coming back up.(Takes around 3-4 minutes for all vm's to shutdown and fully reboot)

• thankyou <3

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Hi Guys!

Have you seen this nice blog post by Ariq about getting and installing a FreeVPS from FreeVPS.org?

https://ariq.nauf.al/blog/free-nat-kvm-by-freevps-org/

Ariq installed Alpine on his FreeVPS, ran a yabs, and wrote a how-to for his new blog.

Next, it looks like Google found Ariq's blog.

Then, today, I searched Google for yabs results on Alpine. Ariq's rather thorough, well done, review of FreeVPS appeared at about the 30th search result.

Now both Ariq and FreeVPS.org are on the way to becoming famous! Thanks Ariq! 🌟

Best wishes!

Tom

edited July 2023

Friendly greetings!

I am delighted to announce here that GTHost generously extended their sponsorship of two FreeVPS nodes for an additional six months! Christmas in July!

Guys, if you meet the requirements shown in this thread's OP, please do remember that you can get lovely VPS for free.

Thanks again to all the sponsors, all the team members, helpers, users, and friends of FreeVPS.org!

Best!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hi Guys!

Have you seen this nice blog post by Ariq about getting and installing a FreeVPS from FreeVPS.org?

https://ariq.nauf.al/blog/free-nat-kvm-by-freevps-org/

Ariq installed Alpine on his FreeVPS, ran a yabs, and wrote a how-to for his new blog.

Next, it looks like Google found Ariq's blog.

Then, today, I searched Google for yabs results on Alpine. Ariq's rather thorough, well done, review of FreeVPS appeared at about the 30th search result.

Now both Ariq and FreeVPS.org are on the way to becoming famous! Thanks Ariq! 🌟

Best wishes!

Tom

@ariq01 congrats massee

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles ariq01
  • We know the community loves benchmarks, so bumping this thread with a benchmark by our very own benchmark guru @febryanvaldo

https://kangserver.id/benchmark-vps-freevps-2-cores-intel-2gb-ram-uk-free-2023/

This is just the first of many more to come - eventually all our locations will be benched.

I might be biased, but for a free VPS, the performance is pretty good! 😄

If you haven't gotten your free VPS already and you are eligible, feel free to request one!

Thanks again @febryanvaldo for the detailed bench!

Thanks to @febryanvaldo for valiant testing and to @sh997 for valiant system administration! :)

Thanked by (2)Ganonk febryanvaldo

• Is there still slots for a Tokyo VM? :) Didnt realised this is available in Asia now

@FAT32 said:
    Is there still slots for a Tokyo VM? :) Didnt realised this is available in Asia now

Thanks for asking! :)

I have not heard that Tokyo was exhausted, so I believe there still might be space available.

Please note:

@sh97 said: Due to the limited resources in Tokyo, we have decided to offer this location with only a donor plan, ie, to get a VPS here, a recent donation of an equivalent of 1USD (in any currency) has to be made to be eligible.

Let's wait briefly for the Team to confirm availability, then we would be delighted for you to make your donation, to apply, and for you to receive your free VPS!

Thanks WebHorizon / @Abdullah for sponsoring the Tokyo FreeVPS node! <3

Thanked by (3)FAT32 FatGrizzly Abdullah

• @FAT32 said:
    Is there still slots for a Tokyo VM? :) Didnt realised this is available in Asia now

Slots still available! Happy to provision you one!

• @sh97 said:

Thank you! Just created an account but will share the details later once I complete the requirement.

If you don't mind, please help to choose a cause / category / organisation here and I will proceed with donation: https://www.giving.sg/

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles Wonder_Woman
  • @FAT32 said:

@sh97 said:

Thank you! Just created an account but will share the details later once I complete the requirement.

You sir, look eligible enough to me! 😄

If you don't mind, please help to choose a cause / category / organisation here and I will proceed with donation: https://www.giving.sg/

Any charity, any organisation is fine - it is all for a good cause.
    Since you asked for a suggestion, my vote goes for https://www.giving.sg/campaigns/barahfh2023

Hi @FatGrizzly! I just now realized that WebHorizon didn't get added to the title of this thread. Sorry @Abdullah!

@FatGrizzly Can you please try to add WebHorizon to the title? Or maybe @FrankZ or @bikegremlin could help?

Thanks to all the sponsoring providers! Thanks to the Team! <3

Thanked by (2)FatGrizzly Abdullah