GNU/Linux (Debian) Virtualization on macOS

AmitzAmitz OG
edited January 2020 in Help

Cheers my dears,

I try to virtualize a Debian installation under macOS and use VirtualBox for this. But I hate VirtualBox. Are you aware of any better solution? Thank you in advance for any good hint!

Kind regards
Amitz

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Comments

• For Desktop VirtualBox isn't that much worse than alternatives, there are VMWare and Parallels (I believe they are paid these days), but there is no guarantee you'll like them.

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • Huh. That sounds quite discouraging... :s
    Anybody here doing the same OR running Linux/macOS in Dual-Boot? I consider the latter, but fear that I may break things...

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).

• Parallels and VMware Fusion are your options.

Virtualbox is way worse than both of the commercial alternatives: less "native", worse performance, less features, etc...

Both are going to be expensive for personal use, specially if you consider that you need to pay for yearly upgrades. They could of course be obtained from... "non-official" sources.

Thanked by (3)Amitz ehab Ympker
  • AmitzAmitz OG
    edited January 2020

I wouldn't mind paying USD 80.- per year if either Parallels or Fusion get the job done WAY better than Virtualbox. I once used Parallels (years ago) to virtualize Windows on OSX and it was not that bad.

I wonder which one would be the better choice to create a Kali VM (based on Debian) - Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion? Any experiences with both?

Thanks a lot for the help!

• +1 VMware Fusion , never looked back... the coolest thing about it can support 3 monitors with ease.

after you buy the above don't forget we'd like pizza in your place to check it out? -- honestly would love to ... but not yet.

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • Thank you! I see that both have trial versions, so a great chance to check them out. Will have some fun with that during the weekend. But still interested in your real world experiences!

• ouvounouvoun OG
    edited January 2020

As of several releases ago, macOS added a native framework for virtualizing in the user-space. I doubt it's any faster than VMWare/Parallels, but it's definitely less intrusive.

There used to be an app (Veertu) that was a lightweight GUI over this framework, but it looks like they pivoted into cloud and removed all traces of the app. You might look into xhyve. Also, I believe QEMU recently was updated to use Hypervisor.

That said, if you want something easy, just use VMWare Fusion. It gets the job done and it's super easy to use.

Thanked by (2)flips Amitz

It don’t be like it is until it do.

• I have used VMWare Fusion for years. Virutalizing virutally everything on my Mac. Does a great job, worth the money, etcetera.

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

Just get one of these..

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited January 2020

@WSS said: Just get one of these..

Thought about it for a second. But then I took my Amiga 2000 from the attic, emulated macOS on it and virtualized Kali on top. Perfect solution! ;)

Seriously - Looking into Fusion right now!

Thanked by (1)WSS

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited January 2020

Fusion does job already a good tad better that Virtualbox, but I am still not 100% satisfied. I seem to be a picky bitch and would try avoid myself if I had the chance... :p

Now installing Parallels to compare...

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• Okay, I am impressed. I will use both, Fusion and Parallels, for a while to come to a more profound conclusion, but Parallels Desktop seens to do everything faster, sleeker and more consistent than the two others. This is just a first impression, but I think that Parallels is what I am looking for.

• Parallels is the way to go on Mac to be honest. It's not that expensive and also ships with some cough Linux ISO's cough.

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz OG
    edited January 2020

Haha! Thank you all for the subtle hints concerning the alternate availability of the app! Very much appreciated! B)

I was an active part of the Cracking and Warez scene for many, many years, starting with the Commodore Amiga, but decided around 10 years ago that I will now buy every piece of software that is useful for me and doesn't break the bank (like in: No chance every to afford it).
    I only take recourse to "pirated" versions if I really, really have to, e.g. if there is no legal way for me to use them. I would be the last one (given my past) to condemn piracy, but well - I also don't work for free and pay my staff without incoming payments from customers... <3

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• @ouvoun said:
    As of several releases ago, macOS added a native framework for virtualizing in the user-space. I doubt it's any faster than VMWare/Parallels, but it's definitely less intrusive.

There used to be an app (Veertu) that was a lightweight GUI over this framework, but it looks like they pivoted into cloud and removed all traces of the app. You might look into xhyve. Also, I believe QEMU recently was updated to use Hypervisor.

That said, if you want something easy, just use VMWare Fusion. It gets the job done and it's super easy to use.

I would be very interested to see xhyve or similar working. Anyone here using any of these mentioned here? :)

• Parallels/VMware Fusion or you could get saucy, install linux on bare metal and then run macOS with KVM.

• @Delong said: run macOS with KVM.

Then you would need to patch macOS like a hackintosh?

• I have just bought Parallels Desktop. It performs better (on macOS) than VMWare Fusion. Your mileage on Windows may vary. Thank you all for the useful hints and help!

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2020

Parallels have a promotion (Bundle with other apps- some bloatware) from USD 80 onwards. UK folks will have to shell out 70 GBP onwards.

https://www.parallels.com/promo-mac-app-bundle/

(Not posting in limited offers/ flash sales since I thought this was the relevant thread.)

Thanked by (2)Amitz Ouji