Personal Wiki

Comments

• @rajprakash said:
    Another vote for DocuWiki. Used it for years and luckily I haven’t had the borked system after upgrade like others have reported.

In any case, since DokuWiki doesn't require a separate database, it's easy to make a backup before attempting an upgrade

(I also like DokuWiki)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@angstrom said:

@rajprakash said:
    Another vote for DocuWiki. Used it for years and luckily I haven’t had the borked system after upgrade like others have reported.

In any case, since DokuWiki doesn't require a separate database, it's easy to make a backup before attempting an upgrade

(I also like DokuWiki)

Since there's so much love for DokuWiki, I will try both (GitHub Wiki and Dokuwiki for a bit, then settle for one) :)

• BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

Been using Notion - for wiki, notes, todo list, etc.

The best thing about it is, there are just so many ready-made templates out there. Also the plus point is that I access it via web browser & mobile devices. Serves my purpose.

No headache of maintaining anything.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

@BlaZe said:
    Been using Notion - for wiki, notes, todo list, etc.

The best thing about it is, there are just so many ready-made templates out there. Also the plus point is that I access it via web browser & mobile devices. Serves my purpose.

No headache of maintaining anything.

That's why I thought Github wiki would be nice since I can access it any time and Github is (very likely) not going anywhere.
    I will still give Dokuwiki a try, though. Notion also looks nice every time I check it out :)

• @Bochi said:

@bdl said:
    I saw some people are skipping past the Wiki and using this instead: https://www.bookstackapp.com/

This is what I did go with last time I asked myself that question and I still like it. 👍

At my company we also use book stack. It is easy to find information, if it is sorted correctly. It was easily integrated with our AD, so there is no overhead when new people are comming, and others are leaving.

Thanked by (2)Ympker akhfa
  • For a simple personal wiki I’d recommend dokuwiki. It’s simple, fast and doesn’t need a lot of resources.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Also a vote for Dokuwiki, been using it for years.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @SGraf said: i can fully recommend dokuwiki (https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki) ! Its the wiki of my choice. You can see it in action here: https://cms-docs.blesta.store/

Another example site here.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Maybe a bit weirdo, I'm using a forum software to create a personal wiki.

It serves the purposes well.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Fritz said:
    Maybe a bit weirdo, I'm using a forum software to create a personal wiki.

It serves the purposes well.

Not a bad idea, even :)

Thanked by (1)Fritz
  • Wouldn't something like FlatPress work for this as well?

Thanked by (1)Mumbly

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• I run a DokuWiki on some cheap shared hosting. Works great.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• I use Dokuwiki on my Raspberry PI 3 B+ for my programming stuff.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Ruby, JS Programmer and Linux user

• So @Ympker what did you settle on? I need one too and I am too lazy to research all those examples provided here and I will just use the same as you... and if I don't like it I will blame you, easy.

Thanked by (2)Ympker bdl

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• @Jab said:
    So @Ympker what did you settle on? I need one too and I am too lazy to research all those examples provided here and I will just use the same as you... and if I don't like it I will blame you, easy.

He can do the same...

Thanked by (2)Ympker bdl

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @vyas said: He can do the same...

He can, but this is why I gave him two-three weeks of heads up ;p

Thanked by (1)bdl

• Confluence is easy to use and beautiful. Not self-hosted though.

Thanked by (3)Ympker mikho chimichurri
    edited February 2023

@Jab said:
    So @Ympker what did you settle on? I need one too and I am too lazy to research all those examples provided here and I will just use the same as you... and if I don't like it I will blame you, easy.

Haha that's easy for you to say. Fwiw, I decided to settle on GitHub and created a Wiki in one of my repositories. In the end, I didn't want to have to monitor/update/maintain any tech (stack) nor keep things hosted on some small vps/hosting which might disappear (along with my articles/entries), so for my usage, GitHub was easy enough. I can quickly push something to GitHub via GitHub desktop too, which is nice.

• @Ympker said: Haha that's easy for you to say.

Don't worry, I've little researched everything linked here and I did not like anything :P

tbh. I would like something integrated with a pastebin so I could curl my scripts or git diffs there and have it sitting for years, for a moment I need one :D

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• @Jab said:

@Ympker said: Haha that's easy for you to say.

Don't worry, I've little researched everything linked here and I did not like anything :P

tbh. I would like something integrated with a pastebin so I could curl my scripts or git diffs there and have it sitting for years, for a moment I need one :D

Github Gist.

• Maybe this is the wrong answer, but I'm on my 4th (?) year of using Atlassian Confluence. I've still got a self-hosted server running as well as a Cloud instance.

Thanked by (2)Ympker mikho
  • @Unixfy said:
    Maybe this is the wrong answer, but I'm on my 4th (?) year of using Atlassian Confluence. I've still got a self-hosted server running as well as a Cloud instance.

But you're not self-hosting Confluence, right?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• My favorite is Bookstack

404 Error: Signature Not Found

• @angstrom said: But you're not self-hosting Confluence, right?

No, I am! I started with the $10 self hosted license a few years ago and I'm slowly migrating my content to Confluence Cloud due to Atlassian's ultimatum :(

• @Unixfy said:

@angstrom said: But you're not self-hosting Confluence, right?

No, I am! I started with the $10 self hosted license a few years ago and I'm slowly migrating my content to Confluence Cloud due to Atlassian's ultimatum :(

Oh, I hadn't realized that they offered a self-hosted license in the past

So basically, they canceled the self-hosted license and said that you would need to migrate to their server?

Just added another wiki entry on GitHub today. Straight forward, no maintenance, no cost. Works for my purposes :)

• @angstrom said: So basically, they canceled the self-hosted license and said that you would need to migrate to their server?

Well, self-hosted license have two tiers with Atlassian - Server and Data Center. Server licenses are perpetual (with a yearly fee = half of the initial license cost for support and updates) while Data Center licenses are subscription based. Atlassian already ended app (extension) sales for Server licenses and support/updates for those licenses are ending in 2025.

So the ultimatum is really just that everyone needs to move to a subscription-based license or risk going without updates. For me, moving to Cloud made more sense due to minimum commits etc. associated with Data Center.

Thanked by (2)angstrom Ympker
  • VirtFusionVirtFusion Services Provider

VirtFusion Affordable, Reliable virtualization management software for the hosting industry · Connect with us on Discord

• Saw this one on Yunohost site, looks nice and easy to install/ use

https://lionwiki-t2t.sourceforge.io/

Squats are the new Push-ups