Why is RDP so popular among Indians?

What are they actually using it for?

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

Comments

• monetizing youtube channels

• I would like to know.

• MannDudeMannDude Hosting Provider

Bobs

Thanked by (2)vyas PureVoltage

[ IncogNET LLC ] - Privacy By Design
    We believe that privacy and freedom of expression are two very important things, so we offer solutions to accessing and publishing content safely.
    [ USA: Liberty Lake, WA | Kansas City, MO | Allentown, PA ] [EU: Naaldwijk, NL ] [ CL Shared | KVM VPS | VPN | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names ]

• Mostly to access apps/websites outside India and to access websites that require different PCs every time. Such as FB ads, amazon trials etc. I'm not entirely sure but some of our clients use it for this purpose.

• what is RDP ?

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @MannDude said:
    Bobs

and vagene

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• @vyas said:
    what is RDP ?

RDP: Research, Development, and Promotion.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • @vyas said:
    what is RDP ?

Why is RDP ?

Thanked by (1)vyas

Why?

• host_chost_c Hosting Provider

Remote Desktop Protocol - =) - If I got it right

Letting RDP, TCP&UDP 3389 running o public interface is like giving a bazooka to a 9 year old that just played 8 hours of GTA.

Host-C - VPS Services Provider - AS211462

"If there is no struggle there is no progress"

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Hosting Provider

@host_c said:

Letting RDP, TCP&UDP 3389 running o public interface is like giving a bazooka to a 9 year old that just played 8 hours of GTA.

Fuckin nerd.

Thanked by (1)MannDude
  • I wonder why none calls Linux VPS “SSH” similarly.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

Why?

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

@jmaxwell said:
    I wonder why none calls Linux VPS “SSH” similarly.

Sounds weird.

• @jmaxwell said:
    I wonder why none calls Linux VPS “SSH” similarly.

That's so fetch.

• edited December 2023

RDP are most commonly used for hit and runs, draining accounts without fingerprints, running cracking software and other blackhat tools.
    Most RDP providers expect this clientele. I have never met a person using RDP for legitimate use cases.

Thanked by (2)Dazzle loay
  • Generally, saying this as an India, most Indians who look for this are people who want a cheap solution to host a gameserver eg: Minecraft or maybe some file that is an exe. Indians, generally tend to like getting things done for free (Yes, I know people like for free but Indians take it to another level) and there are multiple tutorials on youtube for how to get an RDP for free.

Most Indians saying RDP don't even know that it's a protocol used to connect to a Windows server. They just know that it's a server where they can host their thing for cheap and free.

Same way, many of these people are not educated that a Linux Server is not SSH but rather SSH is a protocol through which you can send command line inputs on your SSH server. Again, it's just for them to get something quick and easily done to host a server.

Saying this from experience dealing with a bunch of teens asking stuff like this to me.

This is all just generalized and does not apply to all Indians. (Yes, I'm an Indian as well)

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited December 2023

@Ntf99 said:
    monetizing youtube channels

Something along those lines was my first thought too.

Specifically monetizing something that picks up headless setups hence RDP.

Or remote access attacks on people's bank accounts

• @havoc said: Or remote access attacks on people's bank accounts

Most common use case for RDP, beloved by fraudsters because they are disposable and don't expose your fingerprints.

@FatGrizzly said:

@host_c said:

Fuckin nerd.

Rude, :p

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Hosting Provider

@host_c said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@host_c said:

Fuckin nerd.

Rude, :p

Thanked by (1)host_c

Thanked by (1)FatGrizzly

• @tme said: does not apply to all Indians

the free part does for me

Thanked by (1)tme

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• @treesmokah said:
    RDP are most commonly used for hit and runs, draining accounts without fingerprints, running cracking software and other blackhat tools.
    Most RDP providers expect this clientele. I have never met a person using RDP for legitimate use cases.

Many people uses RDP cause they don't know how to use linux (or terminal). You do not expect the entire population of the world to be comfortable using terminal to do things. So RDP has very legitimate uses. Many uses RDP as it is very similar (if not same) to their windows computer so the software they used on the PC can be used to run a window server with RDP.

If you have never met a person use RDP for legitimate use cases, then you should keep better company and not hang around with those type of people. It reflects badly on you :p

Jokes aside, there are some software that requires a GUI to setup (or used to require a GUI). Some application server can only be setup using a GUI as they do not have a cli or terminal based setup. Popular among them is weblogic used to deploy java applications.

People who are smart enough to hide their fingerprint do not use RDP but a network of VPNs as it is usually cheaper then RDP and provides multi layer security.

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• @treesmokah said:

I think you're wrong. RDP is used everywhere, even in companies, to access a PC that is more powerful to run some computations.
    In my previous company, I used it to run an internal software that was only compatible with Windows, even though I'd been supplied with a Mac. Unfortunately, not all companies know how to make good cross-platform software. And that costs money.
    In short, there are lots of uses, and I'm not questioning the fact that some people use it maliciously - I don't know about that.

Thanked by (1)PHP_Backend
  • edited December 2023

@remy said:

@treesmokah said:

I think you're wrong. RDP is used everywhere, even in companies, to access a PC that is more powerful to run some computations.
    In my previous company, I used it to run an internal software that was only compatible with Windows, even though I'd been supplied with a Mac. Unfortunately, not all companies know how to make good cross-platform software. And that costs money.
    In short, there are lots of uses, and I'm not questioning the fact that some people use it maliciously - I don't know about that.

Yeah, but you don't buy these RDP for $5 on some hosting provider website. You use them internally.
    What I said applies to "commerical RDP providers", not RDP software. Of which there is a bunch, for example:
    https://crazyrdp.com/
    https://rdp.sh/

If you want to sell RDP's, you will 100% be faced with these clients.

@somik said: People who are smart enough to hide their fingerprint do not use RDP but a network of VPNs as it is usually cheaper then RDP and provides multi layer security.

Fingerprints have nothing to do with the network. VPN won't help you with that.
    I recommend you take a look how payment processors security works and what information can be extracted from your web browser.

Thanked by (1)remy
  • @treesmokah said:
    I recommend you take a look how payment processors security works and what information can be extracted from your web browser.

Out of curiousity, how you hide behind 7 layers?

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• University of Arizona computer science department provides students with SSH + VNC + RDP access to timeshare servers.
    Students can choose what they prefer.

The RDP server is mostly used by undergrads because it's easier to setup than VNC.
    VNC access requires establishing an SSH tunnel, manually adjusting screen resolution, writing magic commands in Xstartup file, etc.
    It's too much for a freshman to handle.

For me, I use VNC because I'm smart.
    I even made WinRAR self-extracting archive to automate the setup.
    I download the archive, double click, and enter the password.
    The script can automatically load SSH host key into the registry, launch PuTTY and TightVNC.

RDP or VNC, they are both for educational purposes and thus count as legitimate usage.

Thanked by (1)Dazzle

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• edited December 2023

@Dazzle said:

@treesmokah said:

Out of curiousity, how you hide behind 7 layers?

CIA certified software. I use it for shitposting, they use it for masking warcrimes and other illegal activity.
    I'm a good boy, committing crimes is bad because the government said so.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah
  • @treesmokah said:

@somik said: People who are smart enough to hide their fingerprint do not use RDP but a network of VPNs as it is usually cheaper then RDP and provides multi layer security.

VPN + single use browser = security better then RDP. If you want more security, you can use a local VM that you have full access over to manage/manipulate the hardware of. Linux VMs are preferable as they allow more control over what info is visible (and more options to change the system info that is returned). With a custom kernel, almost all of the info about your hardware and systems can be spoofed. Pair that with a VPN and you will know why all hackers use linux over windows.

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• edited December 2023

@somik said: VPN + single use browser = security better then RDP.

What is a single use browser? Clearing cookies or resetting to factory settings won't do anything.

@somik said: If you want more security, you can use a local VM that you have full access over to manage/manipulate the hardware of. Linux VMs are preferable as they allow more control over what info is visible (and more options to change the system info that is returned). With a custom kernel, almost all of the info about your hardware and systems can be spoofed.

VM's can be fingerprinted. Why all of this whackamole instead of paying for hourly disposable RDP?

@somik said: Pair that with a VPN and you will know why all hackers use linux over windows.

We are not talking about "hackers" but fraudsters. They usually aren't very smart.