OpenPanel: New free hosting panel

My friend Vladimir dropped me link with panel that he created with his mates.

You can check it here https://openpanel.co/

Comments

• edited February 26

Looks very modern and professional, thanks for sharing.
    Visually, and on first look of features in panel, it appears to be the best open source panel I looked at so far.

I haven't looked at the codebase yet or specifics, but looks very promising. Will give it a deeper look soon.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Amadex said:
    a serbian product 🇷🇸 @bikegremlin

Why would they use a company in The Netherlands then?

• RickRick Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@treesmokah said:

@Amadex said:

I figured the same thing ... except OPENPANEL B.V. does not exist according to the Dutch company register ...

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited February 26

Some strange choices..
    Ubuntu, rather than plain debian.
    All users (sic) data resides in /var
    UFW - though at there's an option to skip installation, for those that prefer CSF.
    (Docker bloat: surely there's a better way isolate users, without consuming disc space at an alarming rate.)
    Limited to 3 user accounts.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@treesmokah said:

@Amadex said:

I place my name, photo and home city on the stuff I do. Because I take some pride in what I do, and because I wish to take responsibility for any mistakes.

However, objectively speaking:

For most of my life, my country's reputation has been either unknown (it's a small country) or notorious (almost like Russia now LOL).

Also, even today, it is very hard to do business from a Serbian company.
    One example:
    A company wants to send me a $3K e-bike to test and do a review.
    They only have EU or US distribution.
    For Serbia, I would need to pay about 33% of its (retail price + shipping) + "paperwork expenses" to get the bike.
    That's about $1k on top of the bike production and shipping costs - even if I decide to work for free - just to see and test new stuff, and share my experience.

Finally, while every country has mafia, in Serbia, mafia has the country. So, you need to pay off politicians if your company starts growing, or you get eaten by the "democratic & transparent EU-integration aiming" darkness.

Those are some of the reasons why a normal intelligent person from Serbia might want to register their company abroad.

I would also add that Holland is flat, with great cycling infrastructure, legalized weed & prostitution, so one can more easily dull the pain of emmigrant life...

Still, it would probably be best to see the company representative join the forum and answer all the questions.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• edited February 27

One of the owners will be at HF, so you can ask them everything there

https://hostingforums.net/d/282-openpanel-not-another-free-hosting-panel

🙌

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

@Amadex said:
    One of the owners will be at HF, so you can ask them everything there

https://hostingforums.net/d/282-openpanel-not-another-free-hosting-panel

🙌

What is clitoris?

LOL :)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited February 27

looks really cool! gonna try it

only ubuntu? no Debian?

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:
    looks really cool! gonna try it

only ubuntu? no Debian?

This is just a start. They need more feedback to polish it and make available for other distros.

• Does these claims would pass scrutiny?

https://openpanel.co/docs/panel/intro/#compare-openpanel

I think not...

• edited February 27

Great info @Amadex, thanks

• @bikegremlin Your command of English language along with relevant humour, never ceases to amaze! :+1:

• Is it just me or is the demo not working?

• Hello everyone, I'm Stefan from the OpenPanel team. 👋

I fully agree with @bikegremlin on the matter that, given the regional dynamics, it's better for startups to establish a base abroad from an investor's standpoint.

We're currently in the registration process, and I've temporarily removed the "B.V." from our website until this is complete.

Thank you for the feedback, @AlwaysSkint

Regarding the choice of operating system, I completely agree. Although our initial focus is on Ubuntu, given its widespread use, our goal is to create a product compatible across multiple operating systems. Currently, we're evaluating CoreOS, but ultimately, we plan to let our community decide which Linux distribution OpenPanel should support next: https://community.openpanel.co/d/16-choosing-the-next-linux-distro-for-openpanel

In terms of data storage, the standard Docker configuration stores user data in /var. However, for OpenPanel, we primarily use /home for storing users' website data.

As for the firewall, while UFW is the default option and offers a simpler way to manage Docker ports, I also personally use CSF. We intend to introduce full support for CSF as well.

Regarding Docker's disk space usage, I acknowledge the concerns about efficiency and user isolation. We are actively seeking improvements in this area.

Lastly, the current installation isn't restricted to 3 user accounts. This limit is a consideration for the free version in the future. Nonetheless, users who install openpanel during this beta phase will receive a lifetime free license for the premium version, which includes all features without any restrictions.

Let me know of you have any questions or suggestions, any feedback Is appreciated.

@Ympker - free, lifetime!

:)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• @rcy026 said:
    Is it just me or is the demo not working?

Seems that some browsers are blocking the login cookie from the demo in the iframe.. please use these direct links instead:

• @PCx3 said:

@rcy026 said:
    Is it just me or is the demo not working?

Seems that some browsers are blocking the login cookie from the demo in the iframe.. please use these direct links instead:

I know you are just a start up but, have you considered who will audit the code yet?

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• Not yet. We've reached out to several firms and even shared our early code with one, but the only response we received was their lack of familiarity with Docker.

Do you have any recommendations?

• @PCx3 Glad that you saw my comments as constructive.
    Debian and free for up to 5 users would be pretty much spot on, I reckon.
    If it weren't for Ubuntu (no place for it on a server, in my mind), I'd grab the opportunity on the Beta - what a great incentive, though.

Thanked by (2)PCx3 vyas

• @PCx3 said: Do you have any recommendations?

Rack911 done a cracking (figure of speech) comparison on control panels, back in 2019.

Thanked by (1)PCx3

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited February 27

@bikegremlin said:

Thanks for the tag! You know how to get me hooked :P Need to grab this lifetime license haha :D
    Thanks for sharing @Amadex

@PCx3 So, to get the free lifetime license all we have to do is install/use OpenPanel (at least) once during beta phase? :)

• @Ympker said: So, to get the free lifetime license all we have to do is install/use it during beta phase?

Further, will it be transferable to a more preferable environment, at some possible future date? ;) Goes off to see what 'spare' VPS I have idling away...

Thanked by (2)Ympker bikegremlin

@AlwaysSkint said:

@Ympker said: So, to get the free lifetime license all we have to do is install/use it during beta phase?

Further, will it be transferable to a more preferable environment, at some possible future date? ;) Goes off to see what 'spare' VPS I have idling away...

Ah yeah, it would definitely depend on whether the license will be transferable to other vps in the future, as I probably won't leave it installed on/keep one vps forever (although I have 2 lifetime vps with ZAP lol) :D

Also it seems Open Beta ended Feb 25th, so can't sign up for that anymore?

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • Yes, the license can be transferred.
    The beta period is extended until July, thanks for the reminder, I'll update the site soon.

Given that we don't gather any contact details, our plan is to display the unique license code in the admin panel to users once the beta concludes. This license code enables users to self-install on a different server, doing so will initialize an automatic license transfer.

Should you prefer not to maintain the server running until the beta ends (which is completely understandable), our website will offer an option to enter the previous server's IP and hostname. This will allow you to generate a new license code for use on another server, provided the old one is no longer active.

This is the current concept, and it may be subject to change. However, rest assured, you will never lose your free license.

Thanked by (2)Ympker AlwaysSkint

@PCx3 said:
    Yes, the license can be transferred.
    The beta period is extended until July, thanks for the reminder, I'll update the site soon.

Given that we don't gather any contact details, our plan is to display the unique license code in the admin panel to users once the beta concludes. This license code enables users to self-install on a different server, doing so will initialize an automatic license transfer.

Should you prefer not to maintain the server running until the beta ends (which is completely understandable), our website will offer an option to enter the previous server's IP and hostname. This will allow you to generate a new license code for use on another server, provided the old one is no longer active.

This is the current concept, and it may be subject to change. However, rest assured, you will never lose your free license.

Thanks for explaining. So in order to use OpenPanel and get a license should we now reach out via the contact button on https://openpanel.co/beta or simply run the install script from https://openpanel.co/docs/admin/intro/#requirements ?

• No, simply installing the panel is sufficient.

I'll also simplify this information on the webpage for clarity.

• synthohostingsynthohosting Hosting Provider

Hi,
    I’m going to start testing it by tomorrow! ;)

Thanked by (1)PCx3

SynthoHosting: DDoS Protected IP Transit, Dedicated Servers and VPS

edited February 27

@PCx3 said:
    No, simply installing the panel is sufficient.

I'll also simplify this information on the webpage for clarity.

Thanks! So as long as I install it on my vps now and note down server hostname and ip, you will know in the future that I am eligible for a free license?

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

Thanks for the tag! You know how to get me hooked :P Need to grab this lifetime license haha :D
    Thanks for sharing @Amadex

@PCx3 So, to get the free lifetime license all we have to do is install/use OpenPanel (at least) once during beta phase? :)

Happy to help my favourite German (well, after Claudia Schiffer - yes, I'm that old). :)