WEEKDAY POLL: The Future of LES

Everyone’s favourite article writer @Not_Oles posed a question in another thread after he got upset by @root unleashing banter:

At this moment we at LES have a wonderful opportunity to determine how far LES as a community will lean toward too sharp humor and how far LES will lean toward learning accompanied by interaction with trusted friends. Thus, the thread is not so much derailed as elevated to consideration of a topic critically important to LES's future.

Which made me think - poll time!

Critically Important to LES’s future
  1. Where do you want LES to go?93 votes
    1. Learning accompanied by interaction with trusted friends
      20.43%
    2. Sharp humour
      12.90%
    3. Why not both?
      66.67%

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

Damn you @Nekki you beat me to it.

Thanked by (2)Nekki bikegremlin

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @FrankZ said:

Unlucky for you I haven’t been drinking this evening or I’d have been slumped in front of the TV with my old chap out ages ago.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ bikegremlin
  • @Nekki said:

@FrankZ said:

Unlucky for you I haven’t been drinking this evening or I’d have been slumped in front of the TV with my old chap out ages ago.

Chapping the old chap??

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/chapping

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @vyas said:

@Nekki said:

@FrankZ said:

Chapping the old chap??

A chapped old chap is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

• I feel trigered. Forum is a public space with various personalities. Limiting interaction on such platform is harmful censorship. Besides, Oles is passively aggressive. That is a real problem.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @legendary said:
    I feel trigered. Forum is a public space with various personalities. Limiting interaction on such platform is harmful censorship. Besides, Oles is passively aggressive. That is a real problem.

Do you feel it's a larger problem than your being overtly aggressive?

• The end is nigh, always.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @skorous said:

@legendary said:
    I feel trigered. Forum is a public space with various personalities. Limiting interaction on such platform is harmful censorship. Besides, Oles is passively aggressive. That is a real problem.

Yes. At least I emanating clear emotions. It is simple, quickly regurgigable.

Now, would you mind sharing your thoughts about trolling?

• Here I am.
    Rock you like a hurricane.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited December 2022

Please accept that I am a member here too. So I wanted to weigh in with my personal opinions.
    I am in the "Why not both?" camp.

Here are some of the reasons why I like this forum and spend most of my time here over other places.
    1. Here the humor is generally good natured and intelligent (to the point sometimes I don't get it the first time around). It may be
    more pointed than I realize, but since I have naturally thick skin, I don't notice.
    2. People actually talk to each other when they disagree on a subject, instead of just digging in their heels and calling each other
    names. I actually enjoy having reasonable conversations with people that do not think exactly as I do.
    3. Most of us lightly troll each other once in a while, but there are very few full time trolls.
    4. I actually do learn about something new that interests me from time to time.
    5. I know this one will offend some, but I like that free speech does not mean a free for all in each thread. LES is multi threaded so
    virtually all speech should and can be allowed but IMO with some organization.
    6. I really like Nekki's word smithing, ehab's gif collection, and vyas writings,
    7. I respect the administration, what they stand for, and what they are trying to accomplish.
    8. I really like that there was a BF and CM threads this year, I hope that will continue.
    9. I of course like LE offers, but that is not really the point of this thread. /derail
    10. And last but not least as a non native English speaker I like that @AlwaysSkint corrects my grammar.

I would also like to hear what everybody else likes about this forum as well.
    I look forward to hearing what other members like about this forum, so I hope that you will share your thoughts with me.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @legendary said:

@skorous said:

@legendary said:

Yes. At least I emanating clear emotions. It is simple, quickly regurgigable.

Now, would you mind sharing your thoughts about trolling?

I don't mind a good troll as long as it's not mean or constant. I've been known to troll a person or two in my spare time as I'm sure @add_iT will attest.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • A good troll is one that doesn't get himself banned.

End of.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• I like LES as it is now. Relax all.... and have fun.

Thanked by (2)tetech FrankZ
  • bdlbdl OG
    edited December 2022

@Nekki said:

@vyas said:

@Nekki said:

@FrankZ said:

Chapping the old chap??

Just put some chapstick on your stick, chap and you'll be a sticky happy chappy.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • @bdl said:

@Nekki said:

@vyas said:

@Nekki said:

@FrankZ said:

Chapping the old chap??

Just put some chapstick on your stick, chap and you'll be a sticky happy chappy.

Chap stick, slick dick, quite thick, done quick.

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • @Nekki said:

@bdl said:

@Nekki said:

@vyas said:

@Nekki said:

@FrankZ said:

Chapping the old chap??

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@Nekki said:

@bdl said:

@Nekki said:

@vyas said:

@Nekki said:

@FrankZ said:

Chapping the old chap??

Ah, a considerate lover. Let your significant other enjoy the smell of fruits whilst you pump them full of your nut butter.

Thanked by (3)root ehab bdl
  • SPF15

Old chap really likes to get some sun !!

• @vyas said:
    SPF15

Old chap really likes to get some sun !!

Sure, even if it's Christmas soon one still needs to enjoy sun and absorption of vitamin D (from the sun).

How are you... online?

• edited December 2022

@FrankZ said: I hope that you will share your thought with me.

I only have one, prior to guzzling my morning coffee.

@FrankZ said: So I wanted to weight weigh in..

As in, a boxer/wrestler. ;)

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited December 2022

@AlwaysSkint said:

@FrankZ said: I hope that you will share your thought with me.

I only have one, prior to guzzling my morning coffee.

@FrankZ said: So I wanted to weight weigh in..

As in, a boxer/wrestler. ;)

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. :)
    Enjoy your coffee and have a good morning.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

• @FrankZ said: Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

Ahh, some revisionism going on. ;)

The problem with humour, is that no everyone sees it as such eg. Beavis & Butthead
    I'm all for banter but not puerile commentary - it detracts from otherwise intelligent people, IMHumbleO.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Let's start with the key reasons why I do not like LET

• Too many negative comments.
    • So many strong characters that feel they need to ALWAYS give their opinion.
    • Constant derailing
    • SELL SELL SELL.

So if LES can avoid the above then it will be a 'warmer' friendlier place.

I would like more tech questions/help, good questions and helpful answers, not comments like RTFM - instead pointers and support given. Many of us are extremely knowledgeable about 'the cloud' but want drama and titillation. For knowledge and help stay here for drama and titillation go elsewhere.

No problems with jokes, gifs as long as they are meant as jokes rather than creating insults.

LET has chosen its direction (commercial) and LES should and always be different.

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint bikegremlin
  • @msatt

I would like more tech questions/help, good questions and helpful answers, not comments like RTFM - instead pointers and support given.

Likewise! And not merely responding to your comment but a general observation:
    There seems to be a sense of impatience and entitlement in some LET folks who are actually looking or help.
    Fortunately not so visible a trend here. Except maybe the "V" offer thread

• @msatt said:
    No problems with jokes, gifs as long as they are meant as jokes rather than creating insults.

what about asking to take off pants?

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • @ehab said:

@msatt said:

Depends on which country you’re from as the definition of pants differs. In some cases it’s HAWT, in others it’s sexual assault.

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • rootroot OG
    edited December 2022

@ehab said:

@msatt said:

Why would anyone ask such an affectionately emotional question on a technical forum about servers? Some might be bothered in finding said question as obnoxious or even embarrassing.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

How are you... online?

• edited December 2022

@Nekki said:
    Depends on which country you’re from as the definition of pants differs. In some cases it’s HAWT, in others it’s sexual assault.

@root said:
    Why would anyone ask such an affectionately emotional question on a technical forum about servers? Some might be bothered in finding said question as obnoxious or even embarrassing.

taking off pants makes one feel better.
    at first its hard
    and its done like this

the world can be better and no problems at all

Thanked by (2)FrankZ localhost
  • rootroot OG
    edited December 2022

@ehab said:
    taking off pants makes one feel better.

You might actually be right. Would humans wear pants or any type of clothes if they had fur?

In my opinion the feelings of decency (as opposed to shame) made humans wear clothes for more than just warming the body. Clothing became a culture for decency versus indecency, when it's origin might reside in the fact that humans don't have any fur (only a bit of hair which is also trimmed for elegance and beauty).

Thanked by (1)ehab

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@ehab said:

@msatt said:

I think that is a very good point.
    The comment is certainly meant as a joke and has not caused me any offence. Is it however appropriate?
    Techies often have our own 'in' jokes and being on here for a long time, I know that ehab often mentions this sort of thing. To a newbie on the forum it is likely a waste of a message and I suppose could be slightly insulting. The joke breaks up what could be a heavy read so it is potentially beneficial.
    It all comes down to balance and I am sure @ehab is balanced enough ;) to know when it is appropriate.

Thanked by (1)ehab