Refurbished Server/Mini PC below 100€ - How low do I want to go in CPU score?

2»

Comments

• vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2023

My Tiny M900 Lenovo which is housed inside the Silver Stone case has found a home in this cabinet. Need to install a fan (which explains the masking tape around the hole at the back) but I like the final output.

@rajprakash that’s where all the drives add up to 3TB storage are housed.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ Ympker

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @vyas said:
    My Tiny M900 Lenovo which is housed inside the Silver Stone case has found a home in this cabinet. Need to install a fan (which explains the masking tape around the hole at the back) but I like the final output.

@rajprakash that’s where all the drives add up to 3TB storage are housed.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ vyas

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited February 2023

On another note, the Futro S740 arrived yesterday.. and passed Memtest woohooo :P

It looks very new, still. Definitely was cleaned up very well and shipping was very fast :)

Flashed Ubuntu on it for now and will go from there.

To be continued...YABS

ympker@ympker-FUTRO-S740:~$ wget -qO- yabs.sh | bash
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2022-12-29                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sa 18. Feb 10:54:02 CET 2023

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 5 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Celeron(R) J4105 CPU @ 1.50GHz
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 1100.000 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 7.5 GiB
    Swap       : 683.5 MiB
    Disk       : 14.6 GiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
    Kernel     : 5.11.0-27-generic

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 22.73 MB/s    (5.6k) | 30.99 MB/s     (484)
    Write      | 22.73 MB/s    (5.6k) | 31.36 MB/s     (490)
    Total      | 45.46 MB/s   (11.3k) | 62.35 MB/s     (974)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 30.76 MB/s      (60) | 29.93 MB/s      (29)
    Write      | 33.02 MB/s      (64) | 32.65 MB/s      (31)
    Total      | 63.79 MB/s     (124) | 62.59 MB/s      (60)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 40.0 Mbits/sec  | 198 Mbits/sec   | 22.9 ms        
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 40.2 Mbits/sec  | 198 Mbits/sec   | 26.9 ms        
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 39.9 Mbits/sec  | 199 Mbits/sec   | 20.7 ms        
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 38.5 Mbits/sec  | 188 Mbits/sec   | 91.8 ms        
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 37.4 Mbits/sec  | 192 Mbits/sec   | 95.9 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 27.8 Mbits/sec  | 189 Mbits/sec   | 128 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 26.6 Mbits/sec  | 185 Mbits/sec   | 156 ms         

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 446                           
    Multi Core      | 1524                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/20668295

YABS completed in 9 min 52 sec

Thanked by (2)FrankZ AlwaysSkint
  • Not as cheap as some of these because these are second hand, but I'd definitely recommend the N5105 "routers" available on AliExpress, which is a decent step up from the J series CPUs. Very small, passive cooling, lots of 2.5GbE ports, and you can pass through the NICs individually to VMs in proxmox. Mine gets a GB5 score of 2109 and cost about £120 for the unit, £20 for 8GB RAM and £25 for a 480GB SSD: https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/91902/#Comment_91902

Thanked by (2)Ympker Falzo
  • That looks really good @Ympker but now I am curious what is the power consumption. I think that could easily replace Raspberry Pi so now I am starting to think about it's usage.

Also: how much did you pay for it with shipping and all? Where did you order, and did you pay customs for EU? (I believe you're in Germany if I remember correctly)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

How are you... online?

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited February 2023

@root said:
    That looks really good @Ympker but now I am curious what is the power consumption. I think that could easily replace Raspberry Pi so now I am starting to think about it's usage.

Also: how much did you pay for it with shipping and all? Where did you order, and did you pay customs for EU? (I believe you're in Germany if I remember correctly)

Yeah, I am really happy with it and will put my Pi to some other use (or just play around with).

Power usage of the Futro is apparently 3W TDP (idle), and up to 13-14W when working/load.
    For me that means it'll cost me about 8€/yr if it idles 24/7 and about 41€/yr if it is 24/7 under heavy load. Somewhere in between will be what the real cost will be.

Edit: I paid 50€+ 8,90€ shipping (kinda steep but it's a pc and not a book, I guess). It was priced at 60€, originally, but on MyDealz I learned you can register on Piospartslap website and then make a custom offer for each of their products. Someone said 50€ was accepted, so I tried the same and received a custom just about 2 mins later (probably automatically accepted).

I ordered from Piospartslap ( @Falzo recommended them and also bought the same there). German company, so no customs.

https://www.piospartslap.de/Fujitsu-Futro-S740-ThinClient-Intel-J4105-150GHz-8GB-16GB-SSD-Incl-Fuss-Netzteil

Out of stock atm, but when I ordered on Wednesday, 150 Futros were in stock. All gone now.

Here's all kinds of info to the Futro S740 (someone from mydealz put it together; Power, CPU, MB, RAM, Disk..): https://github.com/R3NE07/Futro-S740

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint