WordPress dot COM 100-year plan

bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

I've registered my domains and paid for hosting for years in advance, and gave a trusted friend all my passwords in order to keep stuff running when a texting driver runs me over (the power of negative thinking - a self-help book coming out soon! :) ).

However, WordPress COM corporation has made a marketing stunt to harness this line of thinking (or fear?) to a whole new level. They've introduced a 100-year hosting and domain registration plan. The link:

https://wordpress.com/blog/2023/08/25/introducing-the-100-year-plan/

So, for about $40,000 you can do a one-time payment and forget about it. :) The pricing page link:
https://wordpress.com/100-year/#start

According to my calculations, this is exactly 20 times more optimistic than the Soviet 5-year plans.

I suppose there are companies who could use something like this. People forget to renew domains, and WordPress COM hosting has been very reliable over the years.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

Thanked by (1)lesuser

Comments

• Nice. I did too renew my personal domain for years and working on a plan with the hosting and other aspect of this. I think a lot of people will find this useful but I hope it did not end like Epik forever domain registration.

Thanked by (1)BlaZe

✨🎁 Low end deals Telegram tracker: https://t.me/lowendweb

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

My first gut-reaction:

LOL :)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• xTomxTom Hosting Provider

We already got some "100-year" .ws from name.com the registry since 2017.

V1AlK.png

You may also register .to domains from tonic for 100 year.

V19aU.png

█ xTom - https://xtom.com/ - Global Dedicated Servers, Colocation and IP Transit. | Subscribe our newsletter
    █ V.PS - https://v.ps/ - Global VPS Hosting. | Mastodon @[email protected] | @[email protected]

• is.ws nice!

• falcesofalceso Hosting ProviderOG

Might need to take out a loan for this and love using WordPress for the 100 years of service. 😂

I'd say smaller chunks of time might be doable, but the flexibility of a shorter term helps when you want to jump ship and change software. I'm more of a "Ghost" blog type of person. But with this direct offer from WordPress at least you are frontline with support and everything is managed.

Also, how much storage do you get for all your media. 🤔

• 100 years? I understand the "pay once and forget it" mentality, but seriously, did they really have to use the phrase "a 100 years"?
    If you said Wordpress to someone a 100 years ago, they would have no clue what you were talking about. Chances are it will be exactly the same a 100 years from now. Just imagine still running Wordpress in the year 2123. :lol:

This kind of marketing bullshit actually annoys me even more than "lifetime" deals.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • Dude, I dont even trust the 1 year hosting plans and you want me to trust the 100 year one? :lol:

Thanked by (2)Chievo Zeniic

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• @somik said:
    Dude, I dont even trust the 1 year hosting plans and you want me to trust the 100 year one? :lol:

100 years lifetime for just 40k hahahaha

Dentistry is my passion

• HizakuraHizakura Hosting Provider

Imagine they could get a 5% annualized return on investment, so for 40k they could get $2000 a year, a great deal!

Amsterdam KVM VPS starting from 9.95 EUR/yr! - Hizakura B.V.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Hizakura said:
    Imagine they could get a 5% annualized return on investment, so for 40k they could get $2000 a year, a great deal!

That would not cover the inflation. It is way too low.

I see this primarily as a marketing stunt.

• This actually gets more and more hilarious the more I think about it.

Imagine a hundred years ago. We are talking 1923. People were driving around in Ford Model T's and we had just invented the airplane. Phone calls were still local, nobody had made a transatlantic call yet, so of course something like Internet was unimaginable.
    Now imagine the same kind of difference against today, but into the future. What will the world look like a hundred years from now? I have no clue, but I am pretty sure there will be no Wordpress. :lol:

• @rcy026 said:

Imagine a hundred years ago.

Just 20 years ago, we had 25 MB hosting plans and we thought that was enough.

Just 30 years ago people were still using those weird BBS and thought that was the way forward for internet.

Anyway, in another 50 years, I would probably be dead and no one would care about my website anyway.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin rcy026

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• This plan has created some great advertising for them. People posting about it everywhere.

• HizakuraHizakura Hosting Provider

@bikegremlin said: I see this primarily as a marketing stunt.

Indeed.

Amsterdam KVM VPS starting from 9.95 EUR/yr! - Hizakura B.V.