Please help formulate MetalVPS BF Offers! Thanks!

2»

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    edited November 2023

Specs Update and Three Questions!

@crunchbits said: Now sell 1c/2t VDS with iGPU passthrough and ~7-8GB RAM, ~1TB of RAID-10 pure SSD disk . I bet you can find people who have a use for something like that.. linux ISO compressing or something I think? Even if you were just to compare it with a normal VDS offering with those specs you're looking at a price range of $10-20/m (competitively) but the big kicker is the iGPU, high frequency on the E3 versus standard E5/scalable, and stout amount of storage space at that price point.

Let's see how this might look if expressed in an offer format.

VDS Specs

• E3-1245 v5

• 1c/2t dedicated

• iGPU passthrough

• ~7-8GB RAM,

• ~1TB of RAID-10 pure SSD disk

Discussion: CPU and RAM

The E3-1245 v5 has 4 hardware cores and 8 threads. There is only one CPU. If we do 1 core, 2 threads dedicated, there can only be 4 Neighbors.

The server has 64 GB DDR4 ECC RAM. If we do 8 GB each for 4 Neighbors, we have 32 GB RAM left over.

One solution would be to do dedicated, single vcore = 1 hardware thread VPSes. There could be 8 dedicated, single vcore VPSes. This could work if the workloads are single threaded.

Question 1: Workload Threading

Are the anticipated workloads single threaded?

More CPU and RAM Discussion

If the workloads are not single threaded, maybe sharing the cores among the VMs might be best. Not everybody is going to be running 100% 24/7/365. So, with 8 Neighbors, vCPU sharing might be limited to 50% of one of the 4 hardware cores = 50% of 2 hardware threads, with 8 GB RAM for each of the 8 Neighbors.

Question 2: CPU and RAM Distribution

Should there be 4 VMs or 8 VMs or some other number? Should the VM CPU cores / threads be dedicated or shared? How much RAM should each VM receive?

Further Discussion: Disk Space, Revised Specs and Pricing

The server's 4 x 2 TB SSD drives have been set up in RAID 10. Dividing RAID 10's available 3.7 TB by 8 gives each VM 0.4625 TB = 462 GB of pure SSD RAID 10 disk.

Now we perhaps could do:

VPS Specs (assuming 8 VMs per Node)

• E3-1245 v5,

• 1c/2t shared (or 1 vcore (= 1 hardware thread) dedicated)

• Maximum 8 Neighbors per Node,

• iGPU passthrough,

• 8 GB RAM,

• 462 GB RAID-10 pure SSD disk.

• NAT IPv4, IPv6/64, and

• 1 Gbps unmetered, fair use.

About costs and pricing

Our extremely premium and cool US Provider utterly demolished @Not_Oles' beloved [Redacted] by offering the E3-1245 v5, 64 GB ECC DDR4 RAM, 4 x 2 TB SSD, 1 Gbps unlimited server free for the first year!!! This E3-1245 is listed in the extremely premium and cool US Provider's control panel at $513.00 annually. The renewal date is November 8, 2024. Based on $513.00 annually, and for 8 VMs, the cost per VM would be $64.13 annually or $5.34 per month.

Question 3: Pricing

But, since the server is free for the first year, should the VMs also be free for the first year? And then maybe free for the second year if the extremely premium and cool US Provider chooses to renew its sponsorship?

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• The server may be free, but your time is not free.

$7 per VDS-month is the minimum I would charge, if I were you.

As for the disk space, remember you will need some reserved space for the hypervisor.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @yoursunny said: If the above guess is correct, crunchy has native BGP for dedicated servers.

That would be good. Profit for me and Tom.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

What about this possible draft offer, guys? Would anyone want to sign up? :) Thanks for your feedback, suggestions, additional help! :)

Free One Year Shell Accounts From MetalVPS! -- Make Your Own VPS From The Command Line!

Friendly greetings! 🌎🌍

Everyone's best friend and favorite Low End Provider, crunchbits, has granted MetalVPS a wonderful US 🇺🇸 server free for a whole year! To celebrate Thanksgiving 2023 🦃, the generosity of crunchbits, the gorgeousness of LES, and . . . Black Friday, . . . MetalVPS is offering free, one year shell accounts!

From your free, one year shell account, sometimes with sudo or other privileged group memberships, you can launch a VPS, a container, a proot, a chroot, or do almost anything else that's free and open source. Compilers and many more development tools are available for your convenience. Also, at every moment, you easily can see how our crunchy Node is performing.

crunchy Node Specs

• CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 v5 @ 3.50GHz
    • iGPU VPS passthrough hopefully coming soon
    • Hardware Cores: 4
    • Hardware Threads: 8
    • RAM: 64 GB DDR4 ECC
    • Disk: 4 x 2 TB SSD RAID 10 (3.7 TB available)
    • IP Address Subnets: 1 x IPv4/32; 1 x IPv6/128; 1 x IPv6/64; 1 x IPv6/48
    • Bandwidth: 1 Gbps shared, unlimited, fair use
    • Current Term Expires: November 8, 2024

[ . . . ]

It would be the MetalVPS usual post-in-the-thread. I have permission from @FrankZ to put the offer in the BF thread and to use an additional thread for sign up and ongoing discussion.

There would be the usual MetalVPS warnings, TOS, etc.

Happy Thanksgiving! 🦃

Thanked by (1)margincons

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• @Not_Oles said:
    What about this possible draft offer, guys? Would anyone want to sign up? :) Thanks for your feedback, suggestions, additional help! :)

Free One Year Shell Accounts From MetalVPS! -- Make Your Own VPS From The Command Line!

Friendly greetings! 🌎🌍

Everyone's best friend and favorite Low End Provider, crunchbits, has granted MetalVPS a wonderful US 🇺🇸 server free for a whole year! To celebrate Thanksgiving 2023 🦃, the generosity of crunchbits, the gorgeousness of LES, and . . . Black Friday, . . . MetalVPS is offering free, one year shell accounts!

From your free, one year shell account, sometimes with sudo or other privileged group memberships, you can launch a VPS, a container, a proot, a chroot, or do almost anything else that's free and open source. Compilers and many more development tools are available for your convenience. Also, at every moment, you easily can see how our crunchy Node is performing.

crunchy Node Specs

[ . . . ]

It would be the MetalVPS usual post-in-the-thread. I have permission from @FrankZ to put the offer in the BF thread and to use an additional thread for sign up and ongoing discussion.

Happy Thanksgiving! 🦃

Good offer. For me and abusers alike.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles terrorgen

• @Otus9051 said:

@Not_Oles said:

Friendly greetings! 🌎🌍

crunchy Node Specs

[ . . . ]

Happy Thanksgiving! 🦃

Exactly. This is an abuser magnet.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @terrorgen said:

@Otus9051 said:

@Not_Oles said:

Friendly greetings! 🌎🌍

crunchy Node Specs

[ . . . ]

Happy Thanksgiving! 🦃

Exactly. This is an abuser magnet.

I guess there could be some sort of verification, no idea what it would be tho.

Thanked by (2)margincons Not_Oles

• E.g. Charging $/€/£ 1.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• I guess there could be some sort of verification, no idea what it would be tho.

Sumsub can be used, but it would charge $1.35 per verification.
    I would like to try a 2 month free (pay for 10 months) pricing plan.
    Or a Hetzner-like reloadable credits ecosystem.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited November 2023

@terrorgen said:
    E.g. Charging $/€/£ 1.

then people like me are out because fuck payment gateways not recognizing my card
    idk why it does that, stripe sometimes works and sometimes doesnt, same goes for paypal, idk
    its a visa classic with international transactions on but it still fails

i have successfully paid internationally in a lot of cases, like for namecheap it goes straight away, they still do transactions in USD but it still works, even stripe works a lot of the times when i am paying someone personally

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles margincons