A/B Updates for WordPress?

I don't understand why WordPress hasn't yet figured this out, half the stuff breaks in major updates, why not just do A/B updates with auto-rollover?

Or does this already exist and me and my Google Search Recommendations are stupid?

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Comments

• @Otus9051 said:
    I don't understand why WordPress hasn't yet figured this out, half the stuff breaks in major updates, why not just do A/B updates with auto-rollover?

Or does this already exist and me and my Google Search Recommendations are stupid?

Backups?

Dentistry is my passion

• edited December 2023

@Chievo said:

@Otus9051 said:

Backups?

Literally no production environment can afford downtime while patching, even restoring backups takes times. Now if you are talking about redundancy, sure. But for people like me, I have a prod website but sometimes shit goes south and it dies, then I have to figure out stuff. That's why I really want something like A/B, this is something Androids and Chromebooks are doing for a while now, and have been working pretty well.

I would rather have an automated rollback than do a manual rollback. Saves time and a lot of headache.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Chievo said:

@Otus9051 said:

Backups?

Sure, but with the number of update blunders, it indeed would make sense to push them gradually, and catch any problems before a huge number of websites are affected.

Though, I can think of one reason why they might refrain from that:
    Problems are often caused by a one or more plugins, a theme, or a particular combination of plugin(s) and theme.

Hence, a small sample might not work.

Regarding backups:
    Sites like e-shops with a lot of sales are not a very nice thing to try and restore from backups.
    Of course, that is why it's a good idea to disable auto updates and test in a staging environment first.

Thanked by (1)Chievo

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@Otus9051 said:

@Chievo said:

@Otus9051 said:

Backups?

Literally no production environment can afford downtime while patching, even restoring backups takes times. Now if you are talking about redundancy, sure. But for people like me, I have a prod website but sometimes shit goes south and it dies, then I have to figure out stuff. That's why I really want something like A/B, this is something Androids and Chromebooks are doing for a while now, and have been working pretty well.

I would rather have an automated rollback than do a manual rollback. Saves time and a lot of headache.

See my post above about disabling auto updates and testing with a staging copy first.

I would add that JetBackup offers a nice one-click restore option that has worked wonderfully for me so far (knock on wood).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @bikegremlin said:

@Otus9051 said:

@Chievo said:

@Otus9051 said:

Backups?

See my post above about disabling auto updates and testing with a staging copy first.

I would add that JetBackup offers a nice one-click restore option that has worked wonderfully for me so far (knock on wood).

Of course you can disable stuff and use external/third party tools but what I am asking is why WordPress themselves have not implemented it, it should be relatively easy with the architecture WordPress has.

@Otus9051 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Otus9051 said:

@Chievo said:

@Otus9051 said:

Backups?

Of course you can disable stuff and use external/third party tools but what I am asking is why WordPress themselves have not implemented it, it should be relatively easy with the architecture WordPress has.

Are you talking about WordPress .com?

• @bikegremlin said:

@Otus9051 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Otus9051 said:

@Chievo said:

@Otus9051 said:

Backups?

WordPress.org

@Otus9051 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Otus9051 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Otus9051 said:

@Chievo said:

@Otus9051 said:

Backups?

WordPress.org

That's self-hosted.

The .org can't possibly provide fast backup and restore resources for every damn "According to XYZ" shit on the Net.
    :)

• @bikegremlin said:

@Otus9051 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Otus9051 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Otus9051 said:

@Chievo said:

@Otus9051 said:

Backups?

WordPress.org

That's self-hosted.

The .org can't possibly provide fast backup and restore resources for every damn "According to XYZ" shit on the Net.

Nope, just telling them to add the support for A/B.

@Otus9051 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Otus9051 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Otus9051 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Otus9051 said:

@Chievo said:

@Otus9051 said:

Backups?

WordPress.org

That's self-hosted.

Nope, just telling them to add the support for A/B.

Plugin and theme “rollback” is planned for the 6.5 version:

https://make.wordpress.org/core/2023/12/07/roadmap-to-6-5/

• rskrsk Hosting Provider

Im sure that the panels that have wordpress toolkit allows you to one-click for a staging environment, which you can test on.

• @Otus9051 said:

Use staging before deploying to your prod.

• You realize that you only need to roll-back core WP files, like under 50MB? How much time can that take?

Even fully manual procedure, like downloading wordpress and replacing the files shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

Doing it with plugins or something like JetBackup takes even less.