Speed: 1GBits+
Peering: DTAG
Loation: Germany/Something close
Traffic: 10TB (outgoing); If incoming is also counted -> 20TB
Budget: 20€/month
please no: Hetzner / OVH
OS: own ISO or at least FreeBSD13, so I can bootstrap opnsense
1x IPv4

at the moment, I'm looking for a new VPS or cheap dedicated server.
The location should be preferable in Germany since I need to have a direct peering with DTAG (or a peering that is not saturated every evening).

Normally I don't need much traffic (~1-2TB), but since I had to change my Backup-Location I need about 10+ TB traffic (single-way) for the next two months (or so).
So I'm looking for something that won't kick me since the "fair use" is capped at 5TB.

The VPS will be used as an intermediate VPN server. There is Opnsense installed and Wireguard is used for VPN connections - so please no special UDP handling.
A 1Gbit Port is needed.
It should be possible to install my own iso, or at least have a freebsd13 template to bootstrap opnsense.

The connection is like this:
DTAG Home --> VPS/Dedi I'm looking for --> OtherLocation (still VPN) --> Backup-Location (also VPN)

Budget ... depends.
I'm willing to go up to 20€ - 25€ per Month for a stable and working service.

Thanks for reading - and hopefully I didn't do anything wrong
also yay 1st post here :)

Comments

• dfroedfroe Services Provider
    edited December 2023

myLoc Dusseldorf could be a decent option.

They do have a direct peering with DTAG (according to their website currently 330 Gbps).

Host                                         Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
    1. AS???    169.254.X.X                       0.0%    15    0.2   0.4   0.2   1.0   0.3
    2. AS24961  lag3.core3-dus1.bb.as24961.net    0.0%    15    0.3   0.3   0.2   0.4   0.0
    3. AS24961  lag8.core1-dus-ix.bb.as24961.net  0.0%    15    0.4   0.5   0.4   0.6   0.1
    4. AS3320   62.159.61.124                     0.0%    15    1.1   1.1   1.0   1.4   0.1
    5. AS3320   pXXXXXXXX.dip0.t-ipconnect.de     0.0%    15    8.2   8.3   8.2   8.8   0.1

On servdiscount.com you can get a Supermicro Opteron (8x 2.3 GHz), 16 GB RAM, 2x 1TB HDD or 2x 120GB SSD with KVM Remote Management (iLO) and unmetered 1G port without throttling for only 21.25 EUR incl. VAT with their current Christmas promo (SD-Christmas-2023, additional discounts for longer contract periods).

Thanked by (2)wedge1001 Ympker

it-df.net: IT-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | AS39083 | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2023

@dfroe said:
    On servdiscount.com you can get a Supermicro Opteron (8x 2.3 GHz), 16 GB RAM, 2x 1TB HDD or 2x 120GB SSD with KVM Remote Management (iLO) and unmetered 1G port without throttling for only 21.25 EUR incl. VAT with their current Christmas promo (SD-Christmas-2023, additional discounts for longer contract periods).

No idea if myLoc changed their policy, they used to throttle especially on cheap servers.
    We had a Server at Hetzner pushing backups to myLoc and it was throttled every night after like a week.

That is not even DTAG.

• dfroedfroe Services Provider
    edited December 2023

@Neoon said:
    No idea if myLoc changed their policy, they used to throttle especially on cheap servers.

I do have that throttling down to 300 Mbps when exceeding 10 TB on my 3 years old server contract.

However they do now advertise on servdiscount.com:
    "NEU: Keine Drosselung. Nur für kurze Zeit. Alle dedicated Server mit unmetered 1.000 Mbit Bandbreite."
    (NEW: No throttling. Only for short time. All dedicated servers with unmetered 1.000 Mbit bandwidth.)

I'd say if they explicitly advertise "no throttling" as a feature for new contracts, then there shouldn't be any throttling.

it-df.net: IT-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | AS39083 | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• I can ask them.

Thanks for the info. Didn’t even thought about them (both actually)

I probably will try myloc. If this is working nice, it will be my mail access to my network.

Thank you

• bjobjo OG
    edited December 2023

Netcup has also DTAG transit via Anexia.

• @bjo said:
    Netcup has also DTAG transit via Anexia.

I got really big problems with netcup.
    Speed was most times way below 100Mbit and most of the time wireguard had problems. E.g. RDP was nearly unusable, since the packages were most times held up. (Germany -> netcup -> Frankfurt) I’m the evening it got even worse.
    Except that, netcup was ok.

I also tried m23 upstream. They are especially clocked up between 1500 and 0000 - nearly unusable (about 15KB/s); though that only happens since 2 or 3 weeks.
    I also tried some other hosts(e.g. Hosteons), ping would be ok, but I got package loss inside the wireguard tunnel - not sure why. Adjusting MTU etc didn’t help or made it worse.

I use now fastpipe / aurologic as backup and myloc as main access to my networks. (Even though myloc is +3ms to fastpipe/OVH)
    At least tunnel are stable now. And that’s my main concern. 6ms on my way is in the rage of acceptable delay

Thanks for the suggestions here :)

• PHP-Friends / Avoro. Really great network in Europe. However their DDOS protection is quite sensitive. If you transfer a lot of data continuously, it might trigger the DDOS protection.