IPv6 only VPS ... setting up IPv4 connection

It seems that IPv6 only vps services will become the next very big thing in the (inexpensive) VPS world.

I've never had a IPv6 only VPS. I was just wondering how to set up IPv4 connectivity to the IPv6 only vps.

I have read this:

https://iblog.ovh/how-to-get-ipv4-connectivity-on-an-ipv6-only-vps/

It seems not too difficult -- or would there be more to do here?

ta, t

Comments

• Tailscale.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Cloudflare WARP could be a possible option too.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • NAT64 makes it fairly painless, but it bemuses me that providers will sell you an IPv6-only service without running any sort of NAT64/DNS64 gateway for stupid parts of the internet that refuse to enter the 21st century (yes, GitHub, I'm looking at you).

Yes, there are public services, but it should be a no-brainer for any decent provider to provide something more local for their customers.

• @ahnlak said: but it bemuses me that providers will sell you an IPv6-only service without running any sort of NAT64/DNS64 gateway

There are even providers who want to sell some IPv6-only services, but other services they also want to sell are IPv4-only. Makes for a perfect combination if you want to access one service from the other.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @ahnlak said:
    NAT64 makes it fairly painless, but it bemuses me that providers will sell you an IPv6-only service without running any sort of NAT64/DNS64 gateway for stupid parts of the internet that refuse to enter the 21st century (yes, GitHub, I'm looking at you).

Yes, there are public services, but it should be a no-brainer for any decent provider to provide something more local for their customers.

Too bad Microsoft bought them. MS is super weird when it comes to IPv6 support. Some of their services are available through v6. However here comes the irony: their login is ipv4 only... at least that's what it used to be 6 months ago. There have been some blog posts about this. I highly doubt Github will get native ipv6 any time soon. Gitlab on the other hand fully supports ipv6 :D

I would always suggest to connect an ipv6 only server do a dual stack server through a tunnel or whatsoever and avoid any pain.
    Offering IPv6 support shouldn't be hard for vast majority anyway.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • I don't think it's fair to blame Microsoft for Github's insane resistance to IPv6 - they've been saying "oh yeah we're working on it" for literally decades.

• Ipv4 is not expensive enough to be worth my time yet...

Action and Reaction in history

• @blackjack4494 said: MS is super weird when it comes to IPv6 support.

oh the horrors of setting up IPv6 on my azure vm.

Thanked by (1)host_c

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• edited January 18

@Otus9051 said:

@blackjack4494 said: MS is super weird when it comes to IPv6 support.

oh the horrors of setting up IPv6 on my azure vm.

Yeah don't get started on that. Simple solution to that is actually not using ipv6 on any azure server or service at all. Azure overall is quite overpriced for what they deliver tbh but that's just my opinion. In the end it is the company paying for it.

Btw do they still do the Nat thing for ipv6 on azure servers? All I heard was that ipv6 is at least free now and they won't charge 12$+ for a single ipv6 address-

• @blackjack4494 said: Btw do they still do the Nat thing for ipv6 on azure servers?

There is quite literally nothing about IPv6 on servers. The docs are too technical. I am trying to add an IP, not setup a Cisco Router through command line (even that is easier).

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• f4netf4net Hosting Provider

As a provider, we do NAT64 and DNS64. Our IPv6 only VPS can reach v4 only destination, with that addition.

F4 Networks | Reliable BGP enabled Colocation, Dedicated & VPS

• @f4net said:
    As a provider, we do NAT64 and DNS64. Our IPv6 only VPS can reach v4 only destination, with that addition.

What packages/stack are you using to achieve this?

• host_chost_c Hosting Provider

@f4net said: Our IPv6 only VPS can reach v4 only destination, with that addition.

how about BW? limited? or full speed of VPS Link?

Host-C - VPS Services Provider - AS211462

"If there is no struggle there is no progress"

• @ahnlak said:
    I don't think it's fair to blame Microsoft for Github's insane resistance to IPv6 - they've been saying "oh yeah we're working on it" for literally decades.

IPv4 hoarders have no interest in pushing IPv6. Microsoft bought 667,000 IPv4 addresses in 2011 from Nortel for $7.5 million on top of what they had already.
    They made another purchase of 1.8 million IPv4 addresses [20.160.0.0/12,20.180.0.0/14, 20.184.0.0/13] from Computer Science Corporation (currently known as DXC Technolgy) in February 2017.

Thanked by (1)tmntwitw
  • https://github.com/Ne00n/wg-mesh

Connect these 2, add a default route on your IPv6 only machine, profit.

Thanked by (1)xvps
  • @Mumbly said:

@ahnlak said:
    I don't think it's fair to blame Microsoft for Github's insane resistance to IPv6 - they've been saying "oh yeah we're working on it" for literally decades.

IPv4 hoarders have no interest in pushing IPv6. Microsoft bought 667,000 IPv4 addresses in 2011 from Nortel for $7.5 million on top of what they had already.
    They made another purchase of 1.8 million IPv4 addresses [20.160.0.0/12,20.180.0.0/14, 20.184.0.0/13] from Computer Science Corporation (currently known as DXC Technolgy) in February 2017.

Yeah, yeah, I get it. Microsoft evil.

I'm just saying, Github's distaste for IPv6 massively predates any involvement from Microsoft; it really has nothing to do with them.

• @ahnlak said:

Yeah, yeah, I get it. Microsoft evil.

I'm just saying, Github's distaste for IPv6 massively predates any involvement from Microsoft; it really has nothing to do with them.

I get it too. Just wanted to say that from a business perspective solely there's not much incentive for MS to push IPv6. At least not for now.
    Unlike some newer businesses, they don't feel shortage because they were/are capable of investing in IPv4 hoarding.

@tjn said:

@f4net said:

What packages/stack are you using to achieve this?

We use Tayga for NAT64 and Unbound for DNS64

Thanked by (1)tjn

@host_c said:

@f4net said: Our IPv6 only VPS can reach v4 only destination, with that addition.

how about BW? limited? or full speed of VPS Link?

We give 5TB at 500Mbps on our v6 only VPS

• @Mumbly said: [MS] were/are capable of investing in IPv4 hoarding.

Besides, they'd devalue their investments by pushing IPv6...

Thanked by (1)Mumbly
  • NeoonNeoon OG
    edited January 21

@Neoon said:
    https://github.com/Ne00n/wg-mesh

Connect these 2, add a default route on your IPv6 only machine, profit.

Having a VPS that is connected via mesh in Russia is really useful.
    Github is barely usable, no way to update wg-mesh.

ip route add 140.82.112.3 via 10.0.251.1

3 files changed, 37 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)
    Profit