Double bandwidth offers - Yay or Nay?

bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

What do LESbians think about this?

Should we allow the "double bandwidth" offers?

Double bandwidth offers question
  1. Should we allow the "double bandwidth" offers?108 votes
    1. No, forbid that.
      52.78%
    2. Allow, but immediately start sinking the thread preventing bumps.
      30.56%
    3. Allow, and keep as-is (purple rain).
      16.67%

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

Thanked by (3)_MS_ ahnlak root

Comments

• @bikegremlin said:
    What do LESbians think about this?

Should we allow the "double bandwidth" offers?

Double measure x 8cm , Please.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Dentistry is my passion

• Only Double Cores or RAM. No Double Bandwidth.
    That too, for posting order numbers, not any "pointless" word or string of words.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

MS said:
    Only Double Cores or RAM. No Double Bandwidth.
    That too, for posting order numbers, not any "pointless" word or string of words.

I think it would be better to post that via a ticket in the provider's support portal, instead of spamming the forum. Even if it's just an order number.

The offer discussions should be used to ask and answer questions regarding the offers.
    And, ideally, not have the questions & answers stuck between page 47 and 49 of "order N0 xxxxx double my bandwidth."

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @bikegremlin said:

MS said:
    Only Double Cores or RAM. No Double Bandwidth.

I think it would be better to post that via a ticket in the provider's support portal, instead of spamming the forum. Even if it's just an order number.

The offer discussions should be used to ask and answer questions regarding the offers.
    And, ideally, not have the questions & answers stuck between page 47 and 49 of "order N0 xxxxx double my bandwidth."

i Agree with you compltely and absolutely.It is useless and should beavoided

Dentistry is my passion

• rootroot OG
    edited January 25

Double bandwidth is stupid.

1. If a provider wants to offer double bandwidth, they can add it in the offer, or create a LES coupon.
    2. Personal identification on a forum should not be linked with an account of provider due to privacy.
    3. A link between provider account and LES account could help a summer host prolong their scam by treating some key members better than others, just to keep better reviews flowing.
    4. Transparency and dignity with trust in oneself and their own business is needed. If a provider wants to offer something, they can just do it without remorse for some extra bandwidth.

My opinion: a big NO! Double bandwidth bumping should not be allowed, simply because it can be added in the offer posting (onto the existing bandwidth).

How are you... online?

To clarify - the "double bandwidth" referrs to any similar marketing: "post in the thread to get XXX," "most comments to get YYY" and similar.

• Such things are just forum spam to me, I stop reading threads which do that because the signal-to-noise ratio is so bad.

• 17 votes
    No, forbid that. 52.94%
    Allow, but immediately start sinking the thread preventing bumps. 23.53%
    Allow, and keep as-is (purple rain). 23.53%

Can we make votes public?! :D

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• rootroot OG
    edited January 25

@bikegremlin said:
    To clarify - the "double bandwidth" referrs to any similar marketing: "post in the thread to get XXX," "most comments to get YYY" and similar.

The only reason where I would somewhat agree with spam is for giveaways which can not be included in offer, for example if a provider wants to giveaway a Raspberry Pi 5 in aluminum case, or some Tesla car; but even then it would have to be a reasonable limit in spam, like spamming every few minutes with different content to keep users engaged for a few days, or the giveaway to last for just a couple of days if participants have to spam the same line over and over again.

How are you... online?

• Double cpu, double ram, double whatever...

"He sounds like hearing him say to the liquor merchant: you who sell it what buys you better ?"
    F. De André --- Free NAT KVM

@root said:

@bikegremlin said:

The only reason where I would somewhat agree with spam is for giveaways which can not be included in offer, for example if a provider wants to giveaway a Raspberry Pi 5 in aluminum case, or some Tesla car; but even then it would have to be a reasonable limit in spam, like spamming every few minutes with different content to keep users engaged for a few days, or the giveaway to last for just a couple of days if participants have to spam the same line over and over again.

Are there other non-spammy ways to give giveaways?

• @bikegremlin said:

Yes, require some efforts, such as 25 push-ups for a backpack.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @bikegremlin said:

@root said:

@bikegremlin said:

Yes, there are. Each user posts one time and each gets one chance. This would be considered as not spammy, but also the thread might not stick onto the frontpage due to lack of constant bumps.

Thanked by (1)Wonder_Woman

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@bikegremlin said:

Yes, there are. Each user posts one time and each gets one chance. This would be considered as not spammy, but also the thread might not stick onto the frontpage due to lack of constant bumps.

What's the penalty of a user (intentionally or unintentionally) posts two replies?
    They still get one chance, but they bumped the thread more than once.

@bikegremlin said:
    Allow, but immediately start sinking the thread preventing bumps.

I'd recommend start sinking after several days, not immediately.
    The number of days shall be less than offer interval.
    It's 7 days between offers, so sinking starts on 4th day.

Thanked by (1)root

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:

@bikegremlin said:

I do not agree with sinking. Reviews and complaints on a specific offer should bump the thread into front page. We all like popcorn drama as well as benchmarks.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Mumbly

How are you... online?

• :lol: "Purple rain" :lol:

reminds me of a shit version of a matrix screensaver

• The idea is fucking genius right, whatever the person smoked that day.
    Its like I got an idea Johnny, we cut the bandwidth in half and let people post the order number, so they can get what we would have given them before. Also our thread stays longer on top.
    Billoh: slaps table

@bikegremlin seriously?

• @root said:

@yoursunny said:

@bikegremlin said:

I do not agree with sinking. Reviews and complaints on a specific offer should bump the thread into front page. We all like popcorn drama as well as benchmarks.

Maybe we should create a Reviews category so there's an official place for people to do that kind of thing?

• edited January 26

@skorous said:

@root said:

@yoursunny said:

@bikegremlin said:

Maybe we should create a Reviews category so there's an official place for people to do that kind of thing?

Imho. that's going too far.
    It's just a forum and clients' comments or expressed experience with the service under someone's offer even if that's a warning should not be a problem as it's COMPLETELY relevant and related to the host in question.

"That's a thread where XY sells a service but you're not allowed to comment your experience with XY host in this thread" is beyond stupid and beats the purpose of a forum.
    That's the old WHT mentality and also the reason why some people prefer less uniform LET and LES above WHT.

@Mumbly said:

@skorous said:

@root said:

@yoursunny said:

@bikegremlin said:

Imho. that's going too far.
    It's just a forum and clients' comments or expressed experience with the service under someone's offer even if that's a warning should not be a problem as it's COMPLETELY relevant and related to the host in question.

As far as I understand, feedback should be posted under the Reviews section, not in the offer threads.
    Offer threads are reserved for the offer-related questions and answers.
    We've already established that.

Regarding this poll, the question is whether the "thread-bumping marketing" should be officialy forbidden.

• edited January 26

@bikegremlin said: As far as I understand, feedback should be posted under the Reviews section, not in the offer threads.

Yes, few of you did that and it sucks. As we need anoter WHT...
    There's absolutely no reason why as an example legit warning about something should not be posted under specific offers thread. Sales were never just sales and people actually participated in those threads. Except on WHT. And now... lets make it just about sales. God forbid any warning or something about service. It needs to be separated and it needs to be buried away from the ongoing relevant thread.

@Mumbly said:

@bikegremlin said: As far as I understand, feedback should be posted under the Reviews section, not in the offer threads.

Yes, few of you did that and it sucks. As we need anoter WHT...
    There's absolutely no reason why as an example legit warning about something should not be posted in offers thread.

I disagree.
    There are hardly any providers that have zero unsatisfied customers, and offer threads are not a place to bash on the given offers.
    Especially since it tends to get out of hand, so to speak.

For any serious problems or frauds - provider tag is removed so no offers can be made in the first place.
    For the rest - the Review section should do.

WHT and LET are two extremes. As far as I can tell, LES is a reasonable middle ground between the two.

• edited January 26

@bikegremlin said: LES is a reasonable middle ground between the two.

It was before "legit negative review or expressed opinion = bashing" Franks mentality took over this forum. This what you call bashing is often no more or less completely legit comment of community members related to the ongoing offer.
    Emphasis on related to the offer. Imho. we're establishing some hard core WHT-like extreme exactly here. 'Cuz like said - God forbid any warning or something about the experience with the service. It needs to be separated and it needs to be buried away from the ongoing relevant thread.
    I honestly believe that this is not okay and it puts sales interest above community interests, but that's not Amazon. It's not just marketplace, but forum. Heck even at Amazon you can read people's experience within the sale offer.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I vote for nay, because there's absolutely no other reason for double bandwidth gimmick than bumping the thread up all the time even when people have nothing to say.

I agree with @root who said "Reviews and complaints on a specific offer should bump the thread into the front page." - because it should be fine for the thread to get bumped when people have actually something to say regarding the posted offer. This is what forums are about...

Thanked by (1)supriyo_biswas
  • @root said:

I'm quoting this again to clarify my point that sinking a thread isn't the death of popcorn drama. Just do it in the Reviews category and it stays as it is now.

@bikegremlin said: For the rest - the Review section should do.

Well I believe we've also said that legit questions are still allowed. "Are you still having problems with the network going down once a week?", "Have you upgraded the bandwidth yet or is it still oversold 500%", "The average steal when I was there was 20%. Is that still common?", etc... right? What you're trying to avoid is fifty angry MJJs who violated the AUP and got banned pissing in a provider thread with "This provider sucks!", correct?

• MasonMason AdministratorOG
    edited January 26

@Mumbly said: It was before "legit negative review or expressed opinion = bashing" Franks mentality took over this forum. This what you call bashing is often no more or less completely legit comment of community members related to the ongoing offer.
    Emphasis on related to the offer. Imho. we're establishing some hard core WHT-like extreme exactly here. 'Cuz like said - God forbid any warning or something about the experience with the service. It needs to be separated and it needs to be buried away from the ongoing relevant thread.
    I honestly believe that this is not okay and it puts sales interest above community interests, but that's not Amazon. It's not just marketplace, but forum. Heck even at Amazon you can read people's experience within the sale offer.

Except that there's a difference between actually providing a review/feedback (that may be positive or negative) with some substance VS. just bashing the provider without proof... or worse, repeating the same thing over and over in every single thread.

@skorous said: Well I believe we've also said that legit questions are still allowed. "Are you still having problems with the network going down once a week?", "Have you upgraded the bandwidth yet or is it still oversold 500%", "The average steal when I was there was 20%. Is that still common?", etc... right?

Of course, all those examples are perfectly fine. I don't personally view any of that as bashing a provider.

@skorous said: What you're trying to avoid is fifty angry MJJs who violated the AUP and got banned pissing in a provider thread with "This provider sucks!", correct?

Exactly.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• edited January 26

@skorous said:
    Well I believe we've also said that legit questions are still allowed. "Are you still having problems with the network going down once a week?", "Have you upgraded the bandwidth yet or is it still oversold 500%", "The average steal when I was there was 20%. Is that still common?", etc... right? What you're trying to avoid is fifty angry MJJs who violated the AUP and got banned pissing in a provider thread with "This provider sucks!", correct?

I don't think so. I saw some time ago a comment of some legit oldtimer (need to dig to find his name) asking why his comment was removed, that he just commented service offered in the thread.
    And that made me think if shun down everything from the sales thread is really a proper way to go.

@Mason said: Of course, all those examples are perfectly fine. I don't personally view any of that as bashing a provider.

That was not the case from some recent experiences. If that's okay I have no objection.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG
    edited January 26

Ultimately, this will always be a touchy and subjective area. What is deemed as "bashing" for you may not align with my view. And how I view it may not align with other staff members. Will we make mistakes on occasion? Absolutely. But that's an acceptable risk in my book so that threads don't devolve into useless nonsense that plague certain other sites.

Thanked by (3)skorous Mumbly bikegremlin

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

double bandwidth no
    double ram/cpu/disk yes

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• edited January 26

@cybertech said:
    double bandwidth no
    double ram/cpu/disk yes

But why? It would bring just a ton of spam without any pleasure to go through the thread. Even if there are some vital service-related posts they get buried under tons of "please double ..." zero-value comments. Imho. threads like that devaluate forum quality.

edited January 26

I think it's fair to add this (to be taken as: "from my point of view" or "as far as I know"):

We all want to see offers here, good ones.
    For that to happen, providers should be happy to post them.

We also want to hear community feedback and reviews.

I think we all agree on that (correct me if I'm wrong).

Where we seem to disagree to a degree (it rhymes LOL :) ) is about whether the feedback should be posted in the offer threads.

In practice:
    When there is something I see as (borderline) bashing in a thread, I check if the provider is OK with that. They often are, for most feedback. In that case, the feedback stays.

In case a provider is not happy (on very few occasions providers would complain themselves first about the bashing), then if it looks like bashing, it gets (re)moved.

It's a thin line, sometimes with hard calls and different opinions, and neither WHT nor LET extremes are a good example.

I've grown to like and care about his place, but as far as moderation goes: apart from trying to lead by example (for better or for worse :) ), I do my best to "enforce" the general rules and forum spirit. And I usually double-check with other admins/mods when in doubt. There is no way to make everyone happy. The best I can do is try to be fair and consistent.

That's why I started this poll - the fact I don't like the "thread-bump-marketing" (find it spammy to say the least), doesn't necessarily mean that most LESbians think the same. It's better to check and simply ask. While I can argue my point of view, once the decisions and rules are made, I must "enforce" them as they are.

Relja

Thanked by (3)skorous Mason Mumbly

This discussion has been closed.