RULES RULES RULES RULES RULES + INFO [updated February 9th, 2024]

124678

Comments

  • sweatbarsweatbar Hosting Provider

    @Mason said:

    @sweatbar said:
    @Mason The main website gives an access Forbidden message mate!

    URL? I'm not able to replicate

    Now it works. https://lowendspirit.com/

    PeekaBoo at https://handyhost.net
    (Not affiliated with the Russian Handyhost Website in any way.)

  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

    @sweatbar said:

    @Mason said:

    @sweatbar said:
    @Mason The main website gives an access Forbidden message mate!

    URL? I'm not able to replicate

    Now it works. https://lowendspirit.com/

    If it happens again, get a screenshot.
    I did an update on the site today that caused a minute of maintenance.

    If you caught it at that time.

    “Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

  • sweatbarsweatbar Hosting Provider

    @mikho said:

    @sweatbar said:

    @Mason said:

    @sweatbar said:
    @Mason The main website gives an access Forbidden message mate!

    URL? I'm not able to replicate

    Now it works. https://lowendspirit.com/

    If it happens again, get a screenshot.
    I did an update on the site today that caused a minute of maintenance.

    If you caught it at that time.

    Here you go it happened now

    PeekaBoo at https://handyhost.net
    (Not affiliated with the Russian Handyhost Website in any way.)

  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

    Looks like the security settings are to tight.
    Will have a look at them

    “Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

  • What's the feeling on language? Nothing in the rules say posting should be in English.

  • MasonMason AdministratorOG
    edited April 2022

    @tetech said:
    What's the feeling on language? Nothing in the rules say posting should be in English.

    I was thinking the same thing and had also searched through the rules a couple hours ago to see if we had anything mentioning it. I personally don't mind it not being in English for small comments or one-offs. However, extended conversations should definitely be in English from a moderation and general forum readability standpoint. DMs are always an option too... have a private conversation with someone in Klingon for all I care.

    Taking a note to put this in the rules once I get the wording right.

    Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

  • @Mason said:

    @tetech said:
    What's the feeling on language? Nothing in the rules say posting should be in English.

    I was thinking the same thing and had also searched through the rules a couple hours ago to see if we had anything mentioning it. I personally don't mind it not being in English for small comments or one-offs. However, extended conversations should definitely be in English from a moderation and general forum readability standpoint. DMs are always an option too... have a private conversation with someone in Klingon for all I care.

    Taking a note to put this in the rules once I get the wording right.

    This is good. Welcoming someone in their own language or saying greetings seems fine. Needing to run off to translators for each post seems not.

    Thanked by (2)Mason bikegremlin
  • @Mason said: Taking a note to put this in the rules once I get the wording right.

    LES prefers the use of the English language for any open/public interactions and communications between members of the community.

    However, you're free to converse in your native language, or any other languages (including Klingon) privately.

    Thanked by (2)Mason skorous

    For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

    Added the following text to the rules.

    • Even though we are from different parts of the world, the English language is what brings us together. To make sure that we understand each other, we use English when posting.

    This doesn’t exclude other languages but should be kept to a minimum to include as many community members as possible.

    We will not bite someone's head off for not writing in English, we all make mistakes every now and then. We remind them of this rule and if the reminders are ignored, flag the post(s) and the staff will take care of the situation.

    Thank you!

    “Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

  • edited April 2022

    @mikho / @Mason
    Might I suggest that where non-English is used, the poster include a (rough) translation. It should be seen as a courtesy to others. This way it becomes inclusive - the whole point of a forum.

    (Maybe I should do that for my username ;) )

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

    It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

  • MasonMason AdministratorOG

    @AlwaysSkint said: a (rough) translation

    Great suggestion, that would definitely help everyone

    Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

    Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

  • Dear overlords, could you please consider adding WebP support to LES? (getting a 'File format is not allowed' error while trying to embed one in a post right now)

    Thanked by (1)Mason

    Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

  • MasonMason AdministratorOG

    @chimichurri said:
    Dear overlords, could you please consider adding WebP support to LES? (getting a 'File format is not allowed' error while trying to embed one in a post right now)

    I'll take a look through the config settings and see if it can easily be added to the image embed stuff. In the meantime, you can embed it if you host the file elsewhere and use image markdown:

    ![](https://www.gstatic.com/webp/gallery/1.webp)
    
    Thanked by (1)chimichurri

    Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

  • I have a request for Mods/ Admins

    New sign ups should have a waiting period say 3 days before they can reply to a thread, and 7 days before they can start a new discussion.- especiallly when there are swarms of registrations.

    Otherwise this place will get as toxic as the OGF in time. By then it might be too late.

    Thank you

    Thanked by (3)saibal bikegremlin ehab

    Squats are the new Push-ups

  • TheDPTheDP OG
    edited September 2022

    @vyas said:
    I have a request for Mods/ Admins

    New sign ups should have a waiting period say 3 days before they can reply to a thread, and 7 days before they can start a new discussion.- especiallly when there are swarms of registrations.

    Otherwise this place will get as toxic as the OGF in time. By then it might be too late.

    Thank you

    "Toxic" / "toxicity" is a behavior issue.

    If someone toxic joins, putting a timer on comments and discussion creation just delays interaction and is not going to change someone's toxic behavior.

    At the end of the day, or in time, they're still that same toxic person that joined 3 or 7 days ago :smiley:

    Just my 2 cents.

    For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

  • @TheDP said:

    @vyas said:
    I have a request for Mods/ Admins

    New sign ups should have a waiting period say 3 days before they can reply to a thread, and 7 days before they can start a new discussion.- especiallly when there are swarms of registrations.

    Otherwise this place will get as toxic as the OGF in time. By then it might be too late.

    Thank you

    "Toxic" / "toxicity" is a behavior issue.

    If someone toxic joins, putting a timer on comments and discussion creation just delays interaction and is not going to change someone's toxic behavior.

    At the end of the day, or in time, they're still that same toxic person that joined 3 or 7 days ago :smiley:

    Just my 2 cents.

    Fair point

    My inclination was more towards users who sign up to spam, or “one hit wonders” who post, release some toxic fumes in a short burst, then hibernate.

    Limiting the ability to spew venom might limit toxicity.

    In Sustainability, one if the oft repeated mantras is
    “Solution to Pollution is dilution”.

    Dilute the timeline and pollution becomes less toxic..
    In other words,
    Delay or limit, not avoid.

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

    Squats are the new Push-ups

  • @vyas said: My inclination was more towards users who sign up to spam, or “one hit wonders” who post, release some toxic fumes in a short burst, then hibernate.

    If it's for spam (especially bots) then it might be able to help reduce it.

    I haven't noticed but do we get spammed a lot here to begin with?

    For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

    AFAIK, there is a manual approval process at the moment (not to say it is or isn't an in-depth evaluation).

    @TheDP said: I haven't noticed but do we get spammed a lot here to begin with?

    Sometimes yeah, but @bikegremlin is usually faster than me

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

    Yeah, wouldn't call spamming frequent, but then again, everytime it happens, I think:
    I should propose we set every new account to have their first X posts manually approved before being published.

    That, combined with an obligatory post in "introductions" section usually reduces the spammers/trolls to the most persistent (the best of the best :) ). Though it's not 100% spam proof (nothing is nowadays).

    But, it's extra hassle for the normal members joining (and for the mods). So, a trade-off, as most other choices.

    Again - for now, spam is not very frequent (and when it happens, LESbians flag & report stuff promptly). Especially considering the topic of this forum.

    Now, ho wants to buy some Bitcoin, ey?

    :)

    Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

  • @LEST-BOT said:
    Domains must have been registered for a minimum of 60 days.

    I get the reason behind the other rules but what is the reason for this? A week old domain name is just as valid as a 2 month old domain name (in every technical/non-technical aspect). I don't get it.

  • @AndrewL64 said: A week old domain name is just as valid as a 2 month old domain name (in every technical/non-technical aspect). I don't get it.

    Right, but you can't transfer out a week-old domain.

    For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

  • @TheDP said:
    Right, but you can't transfer out a week-old domain.

    Oh, my bad lol I completely forgot about the transfer period.

  • Hi everyone, I came here from LowEndTalk and wanna say thank for everything here especially for these "instructions" on how to accessing the "Night" theming.

    You can change your theme between Night and Day under your profile/edit profile to work best for your eyes/device, bugs exist, please report them in the bug reports thread.

    So I can read more easily.

    Thanked by (2)MichaelCee doghouch
  • Is it possible to sell domains without an auction?

  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider
    edited October 2022

    @Amadex said:
    Is it possible to sell domains without an auction?

    @Rules said:
    Maximum starting bid is $7 or you can specify a BIN price (not both)

    So you can do a BIN

  • @Amadex said:
    Is it possible to sell domains without an auction?

    Make them all $7 - I like your style 😝

  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

    I'd like to publicly thank @FrankZ for stepping in and volunteering to help with forum moderation.

    Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

  • vyasvyas OG
    edited October 2022

    @bikegremlin said:
    I'd like to publicly thank @FrankZ for stepping in and volunteering to help with forum moderation.

    >

    Careful all now!

    The new mod will kick you off the the Bus if you misbehaved

    Squats are the new Push-ups

  • Awesome to see FrankZ as mod. I miss our banter on the OGF Virmach thread but I think we do have another thread shaping up here.

    Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • Thanks for volunteering to clean up the messes we leave ❤️

    Thanked by (1)FrankZ
Sign In or Register to comment.