RULES RULES RULES RULES RULES + INFO [updated February 9th, 2024]

123457»

Comments

• @legendary said:
    Does the rules was or will be updated to reflect community opinion about "double bandwidth" nonsense?

The ways of spam are endless, you prohibit them one thing they invent 10 more...

"He sounds like hearing him say to the liquor merchant: you who sell it what buys you better ?"
    F. De André --- Free NAT KVM

• @carlin0 said:

@legendary said:
    Does the rules was or will be updated to reflect community opinion about "double bandwidth" nonsense?

The ways of spam are endless, you prohibit them one thing they invent 10 more...

One can not blame providers for trying to find ways of selling their services. The problem is when it all becomes of an intrusive and abusive mess.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin webcraft

How are you... online?

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@root said:

@carlin0 said:

@legendary said:

One can not blame providers for trying to find ways of selling their services. The problem is when it all becomes of an intrusive and abusive mess.

I've dispatched pigeons with my thoughts and the vote results to @mikho @Mason and @FrankZ (hoping the racoon will be asleep when the pigeon arrives to avoid message encapsulation), and then we'll reach a consensus regarding any rule changes.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

@root said:

@carlin0 said:

@legendary said:

I've dispatched pigeons with my thoughts and the vote results to @mikho @Mason and @FrankZ (hoping the racoon will be asleep when the pigeon arrives to avoid message encapsulation), and then we'll reach a consensus regarding any rule changes.

Will the racoon carry the encapsulated package afterwards in an encrypted format to its destination?

How are you... online?

@root said:

@bikegremlin said:

@root said:

@carlin0 said:

@legendary said:

Will the racoon carry the encapsulated package afterwards in an encrypted format to its destination?

For a while, until he just drops the encapsulated and encrypted package...
    A very unreliable messaging system, I must say.

Thanked by (1)root

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @root said:

It was not my intention to blame anyone, I wanted to make the point that prohibiting "double bandwidth" might prove useless

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

"He sounds like hearing him say to the liquor merchant: you who sell it what buys you better ?"
    F. De André --- Free NAT KVM

• @carlin0 said:

@root said:

It was not my intention to blame anyone, I wanted to make the point that prohibiting "double bandwidth" might prove useless

Anything is better than nothing.

How are you... online?

@carlin0 said:

@root said:

On the other hand, it might reduce spam.
    I think that's reasonable to expect.
    Will it be 10% or 99% - I don't know.
    But 10% less spam is good IMO (better than 0% less spam).

The idea is to make things harder for any spammers.

Similarly to the provider checks upon tag requests.
    Over the past months, I saw a few declined providers deadpool, and so it was good that we checked and din't let them advertise here. It's not a 100% safe system. But it's a lot better than nothing.

At least that's how I see it. I'm not always right - which is why I thought it's a good idea to make a poll, and see what other LESbians think.

Relja

Thanked by (2)root skorous

• @bikegremlin said: Over the past months, I saw a few declined providers deadpool, and so it was good that we checked and din't let them advertise here.

I've got enough idlers and I don't generally pay attention to OGF, which ones are you talking about?

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

On or about February 9th, 2024 the following was added to the Rules for posting offers

• Providers: Don't encourage spam, i.e. require customers to post a comment in order to get benefits ("double bandwidth" and similar stuff).
    • Customers: don't spam the offer threads. Use them to post questions related to the offer(s). If you wish to share feedback, it's best to write in the review section or post a link to an existing LES review.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

@skorous said:

@bikegremlin said: Over the past months, I saw a few declined providers deadpool, and so it was good that we checked and din't let them advertise here.

I've got enough idlers and I don't generally pay attention to OGF, which ones are you talking about?

"Declined" as in weren't approved with a provider tag on LES.
    I don't really care to go through the tickets to find the declined ones, and then google which ones have deadpooled, and I'm not sure it's OK to disclose that info - tag requests are private.

@FrankZ said:
    On or about February 9th, 2024 the following was added to the Rules for posting offers

• Providers: Don't encourage spam, i.e. require customers to post a comment in order to get benefits ("double bandwidth" and similar stuff).
    • Customers: don't spam the offer threads. Use them to post questions related to the offer(s). If you wish to share feedback, it's best to write in the review section or post a link to an existing LES review.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ host_c

• What's an appropriate lead time for pre orders for vps? 🤔

Feel a little concerned for offers over 15 days of build/ delivery time.

Should there be some ground rules for offers?

• host_chost_c Hosting Provider
    edited February 20

@localhost

pre-sale you mean ?

I think the name "PRE-SALE" should be in the name of the tread, and not more than 15 days for established providers only.

Do not get me wrong, but pre-sale is not something where you "put your money where your mouth is" business, and newbies might get it really wrong.

As an example: I think I can do a VPS service at 7 bucks, but I do not have the capital nor want to risk my $, so I will do a thread and see how many will get the service

VPS 4Core Xeon Gold, 4 GB RAM,250 GB NVME PCI-EX 4'th GEN at 7$/MO

in the sale thread:

Delivery in 45 days

I mean, com on.... this way even a 12 year old can make something, and risking nothing, that is not a business, in my eyes, and fail rate will be high this way ( dead-pool ), and the customer will be the one to pay the price.

For an established provider, that has experience this might help him do something if he is in a bad $ spot, i will underline might here.

If I as a provider wish to see that a product has some interest, I can just ask the community and do a survey.

For actual sale thread, provision of systems should be a max of 3 days from sell, otherwise it is a pre-sale.

And I really do not get the X day provision system done manually, I mean, there are free alternatives to do this, or really cheap / year ones, like Modules Garden, and other. A provider really needs to get an automation from start and battle with the problems this brings, so he/the team gains experience to debug tricky situations that in the mid-run will just help him out and he's customer experience will be much better.

If you have 200 customers that were provisioned manually and implement an automatic solution after 6 months, disaster will be high/lurking around the corner =) to add already provisioned systems into an automation, again the customer will pay the price

The hole point of a SALE vs a PRE-SALE is that you have the goods on stock/inventory and can be put to use by the client, but for a PRE-SALE I would not wait for more than 15 days, as a lot can happen in 30.

Host-C - VPS Services Provider - AS211462

"If there is no struggle there is no progress"

• If you don't have it don't try to sell it.

If someone does I stay far away.

Thanked by (1)host_c

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• host_chost_c Hosting Provider

@AuroraZero said: If you don't have it don't try to sell it.

:+1:

Host-C - VPS Services Provider - AS211462

"If there is no struggle there is no progress"

@AuroraZero said:
    If you don't have it don't try to sell it.

Short selling stockbrokers have entered the chat...
    :)

• @bikegremlin said:

@AuroraZero said:

Yeah and they are dicks as well. Can fuck a market in short order.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin host_c

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

@AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

@AuroraZero said:

Yeah and they are dicks as well. Can fuck a market in short order.

Keep calm and love capitalism...

Thanked by (1)host_c

• skhronskhron Hosting Provider

@bikegremlin said:
    Keep calm and love capitalism...

Keep love and calm capitalism

Thanked by (3)bikegremlin host_c wankel
  • @host_c said:
    @localhost

pre-sale you mean ?

I think the name "PRE-SALE" should be in the name of the tread, and not more than 15 days for established providers only.

Do not get me wrong, but pre-sale is not something where you "put your money where your mouth is" business, and newbies might get it really wrong.

As an example: I think I can do a VPS service at 7 bucks, but I do not have the capital nor want to risk my $, so I will do a thread and see how many will get the service

VPS 4Core Xeon Gold, 4 GB RAM,250 GB NVME PCI-EX 4'th GEN at 7$/MO

in the sale thread:

Delivery in 45 days

I mean, com on.... this way even a 12 year old can make something, and risking nothing, that is not a business, in my eyes, and fail rate will be high this way ( dead-pool ), and the customer will be the one to pay the price.

For an established provider, that has experience this might help him do something if he is in a bad $ spot, i will underline might here.

If I as a provider wish to see that a product has some interest, I can just ask the community and do a survey.

For actual sale thread, provision of systems should be a max of 3 days from sell, otherwise it is a pre-sale.

And I really do not get the X day provision system done manually, I mean, there are free alternatives to do this, or really cheap / year ones, like Modules Garden, and other. A provider really needs to get an automation from start and battle with the problems this brings, so he/the team gains experience to debug tricky situations that in the mid-run will just help him out and he's customer experience will be much better.

If you have 200 customers that were provisioned manually and implement an automatic solution after 6 months, disaster will be high/lurking around the corner =) to add already provisioned systems into an automation, again the customer will pay the price

The hole point of a SALE vs a PRE-SALE is that you have the goods on stock/inventory and can be put to use by the client, but for a PRE-SALE I would not wait for more than 15 days, as a lot can happen in 30.

Nicely said. But seems I saw an offer where delivery is expected within 40 days.

Should the community allow such posts? What do the mods/ admin think?

• vyasvyas OG
    edited March 4

@localhost said

Delivery in 45 days

Congratulations on reaching the third Trimester

Thanked by (1)localhost

Squats are the new Push-ups

• If I may make a suggestion for clarity. When defining the maximum price for the different services to include the currency. I'm assuming the maximum prices listed are all in USD however adding the currency remove any ambiguity.

Thanked by (3)Mason bikegremlin webcraft

Hive Data Center | https://www.hivedatacenter.com
    Colo & Bare Metal Servers in Montreal / Toronto / Ottawa / Quebec City

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@HiveDCNick said:
    If I may make a suggestion for clarity. When defining the maximum price for the different services to include the currency. I'm assuming the maximum prices listed are all in USD however adding the currency remove any ambiguity.

Good suggestion, I have added that in.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin webcraft

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

@Mason said:

@HiveDCNick said:
    If I may make a suggestion for clarity. When defining the maximum price for the different services to include the currency. I'm assuming the maximum prices listed are all in USD however adding the currency remove any ambiguity.

DAMN!

And I was just about to post an offer for $ 7 Cayman Islands dollars for a 20% revenue boost!

• @bikegremlin said:

@Mason said:

@HiveDCNick said:

DAMN!

And I was just about to post an offer for $ 7 Cayman Islands dollars for a 20% revenue boost!

YetiBucks is the new currency around here

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin host_c