Hurricane Ian impacts

I'd guess Tampa was urban area for hosting that was most at risk as Hurricane Ian passed through, but it appears Tampa was largely spared the worst of the storm compared other points south. Any providers with local knowledge or pointers to details of how Ian may have impacted data center facilities or backbone connectivity, if it did, n the Florida region?

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG
    edited September 2022

In Tampa there was no issue besides wind and rain, and being from Texas, it just seemed like a typical bad thunderstorm in Texas. I live in St Pete like 500 ft from the Tampa bay water and while we left just to be safe (original surge estimates were 6-10 feet, so our cars would've been underwater), and since the hurricane went much further south thankfully there was really no damage. No flooding here, no wind damage, no down trees. Ironically my hotel 5 miles inland in Tampa had no power at all last night due to a blown transformer but our apartment by the water never lost power. I had a camera setup connected to my laptop and a UPS backup so I could look outside my porch window remotely and I get UPS power emails.

I drove a little bit through/over downtown Tampa and everything looked fine.

There is still a lot of power outages though, but I think it will be repaired quickly since it's probably mostly wind damage from trees/branches/transformers.

Thanked by (2)jtk AlwaysSkint

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.