How to enable network when booting to netboot.xyx on my new VPS

Am playing around with my crunchbits LES Special VPS. Installed Debian 11 from template and it's super smooth, no issues. Installed webmin/virtualmin, restored a test website, all great.

Now I want to take it around the block a few times so try booting to netboot.xyz - I load up the CD and boot, but it fails. Entered the network info manually that is noted on crunchbits control panel (IP address, gateway, netmask, DNS) but still fails.

So with my limited knowledge think the issue might be related to the network adapter. Netboot is saying it's net0 but it's eth0 in the crunch control panel. I'd guess unlike my VPS from other providers DHCP is not enabled here.

Can someone who just picked up one of these specials give me instructions for how to get this working? Preferably the "networking for dummies" step by step version.

Have the same issue when booting to the SystemRescue CD- startsX desktop fine but no network connection. In SystemRescue the adapter is called something like en3s0

I needs me some networkin edumacation, gol durn it. Pleez help.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

Netboot just shows the interface as "net0-4" etc. it doesn't list the network interface based on any OS. If it's failing, you should contact the host, it shouldn't be failing if you're manually entering the correct info, or it would automatically work if the host dhcp server is running properly.

Thanked by (3)skorous Not_Oles JDMcPea

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• @JDMcPea said: So with my limited knowledge think the issue might be related to the network adapter. Netboot is saying it's net0 but it's eth0 in the crunch control panel. I'd guess unlike my VPS from other providers DHCP is not enabled here.

Yeah, like MikeA said netboot.xyz always identifies the NICs as netX . That's normal. Does the MAC address match your eth0? As long as it does you're fine.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles JDMcPea
  • Thanks for the responses.

Figured out how to get to the netboot menu. Was a misunderstanding on my part between "netmask" and "subnet mask". In the crunch panel netmask is "255.255.255.255" and that is what I was using for manual netboot configuration. Tried "255.255.255.0" and that worked. Could have sworn that's what I tried the first time but maybe had wrong gateway address or something.

Unfortunately none of the Netboot OS options will work. Tried Network Installs, Live CDs, Utilities, etc. They all start and but after 5
    seconds or so will cause reboot whch brings me back to the "set network interface number" manual config.

Any suggestions? Maybe some commands to run in the iPXE shell?

• I haven't gotten netboot.xyz working on crunchbits server (I have a VDS, if that makes a difference).

But I got an IP alright and downloaded the initrd. The VDS shitted itself and rebooted while trying to boot the downloaded initrd.

You may have better luck opening a ticket and ask them to mount the install ISO for the system you wish to install.

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @terrorgen said:
    I haven't gotten netboot.xyz working on crunchbits server (I have a VDS, if that makes a difference).

But I got an IP alright and downloaded the initrd. The VDS shitted itself and rebooted while trying to boot the downloaded initrd.

You may have better luck opening a ticket and ask them to mount the install ISO for the system you wish to install.

Not looking for any paticular OS and I will probably end up using Debian from the template which works fine. Netboot is just for fun and educational purposes.

Yes seems like when it tries to download the inital RAM disc is when it fails and reboots. Any workarounds???

• I ran into a similar issue but I had precious hours that needs to be spent wisely so I ended up asking them to just load up the ISO for me, via a ticket.

Thanked by (1)crunchbits

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• crunchbitscrunchbits Hosting Provider

@JDMcPea said:
    Thanks for the responses.

Figured out how to get to the netboot menu. Was a misunderstanding on my part between "netmask" and "subnet mask". In the crunch panel netmask is "255.255.255.255" and that is what I was using for manual netboot configuration. Tried "255.255.255.0" and that worked. Could have sworn that's what I tried the first time but maybe had wrong gateway address or something.

Unfortunately none of the Netboot OS options will work. Tried Network Installs, Live CDs, Utilities, etc. They all start and but after 5
    seconds or so will cause reboot whch brings me back to the "set network interface number" manual config.

Any suggestions? Maybe some commands to run in the iPXE shell?

255.255.252.0 would also work there (some videos/image docs incoming for KB), depends on a few things. Some OS's are fine with a ptp or /32 some are not.

As far as netboot, it was working awhile ago but a few updates ago it now gets stuck in a boot loop and just reboots the netboot iso. It's easier to just send us a ticket for the specific ISO you want and we'll mount that for you. I know the netboot thing is 'in queue' further upstream from us, but there are a lot of things ahead of that so the ETA is completely unknown.

Thanked by (1)JDMcPea
  • Thanks @crunchbits . Will give it another try in a month or two