@yoursunny's Recommendations For Providers Regarding How To Use IPv6

SystemSystem Administrator
edited September 2023 in General

Comments

• LXC or OpenVZ with veth network interface would be acceptable.

Thanked by (1)ehab

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• edited September 2023

@hostEONS said:
    Please note you are allowed max 20 IPv6 per VPS as too many IP can cause ARP cache issues, hence this is the limit set per VPS

This is exactly why you should provide veth network interface and routed IPv6 subnet.
    There would be two entries in the router/switch, regardless of how many IPv6 addresses are in use.

• hostEONShostEONS Hosting ProviderOG

@yoursunny said:

@hostEONS said:
    Please note you are allowed max 20 IPv6 per VPS as too many IP can cause ARP cache issues, hence this is the limit set per VPS

This is exactly why you should provide veth network interface and routed IPv6 subnet.
    There would be two entries in the router/switch, regardless of how many IPv6 addresses are in use.

We cannot use veth because as far as i know Virtualizor Control Panel has no support for it, we will probably need to manually setup VPS for it.

If we use routed IP then just in case if the VPS Node IP gets nulled for any reason then even all the VPS IP will go down, we have a common pool of IP for KVM as well as OVZ VPS Nodes, so if we set routed for IP pool that's being used for OVZ it will even set as routed for KVM VPS nodes which we don't want to do.

Moreover these are low end VPS and we hardly get such special requests, for 99% of the users just 1 IPv6 is enough, and if we don't impose these limits we have seen users who try to add 100ds of IPV6 IP and then later complain why is their VPS so slow as most of the resources are being taken via the network stack and also causes ARP issues.

Sorry but we are trying to give LES deals but also trying to keep them sustainable, we cannot change our whole setup for it.

I've not tried routed IP recently, but from what i remember it was causing some issue and right now no intention to change any configuration with our existing setup.

hostEONS.com - 9 Locations for VPS (US and EU).. Free Blesta License, Free Windows 2019 License and more. Shared DA Hosting. AS142036 .. Ryzen 7950X Based VDS in SLC, LA and Dallas

• It's time to ditch Virtualizor.
    VirtFusion panel of the year.

@yoursunny said:
    It's time to ditch Virtualizor.

Cant really change panels every now and then ...

Thanked by (1)dedicados

hostEONS.com - 9 Locations for VPS (US and EU).. Free Blesta License, Free Windows 2019 License and more. Shared DA Hosting. AS142036 .. Ryzen 7950X Based VDS in SLC, LA and Dallas

• @yoursunny said: VirtFusion panel of the year.

I agree it is a great panel from a users perspective. Can't say if it is the same from the providers perspective or not. Personally I do prefer it when a potential KVM VM I am looking to purchase has a /64 of IPv6. OpenVZ 7 has limitations and one of them seems to be the way they handle IPv6 by default. Yes you can use veth network interfaces but it does add an additional layer of complexity to an already very low end product IMO.

Thanked by (1)hostEONS

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

@yoursunny said:

Does vf automate routed IPv6 in some way ?
    I could not find a way to automate routed IPv6 setup using any panel.

@Abdullah said:

@yoursunny said:

I could not find a way to automate routed IPv6 setup using any panel.

Routed IPv6 is available in Virtualizor

Thanked by (2)FrankZ yoursunny

• TheDPTheDP OG
    edited September 2023

Just a comment about VF, from a customer's experience and POV, I personally like it.

Things I would like it to have are:

1. The ability to add/create "custom" IPv6 IPs, instead of it creating them for you in order (::a, ::b etc.).
    2. The ability to delete the IPs that were created.
    Thanked by (2)FrankZ Mumbly

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Caught it this time!
    "Recomondations"

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Caught it this time!
    "Recomondations"

Fixed. Thank you for your support. :+1:
    You might think that I plant these little Easter eggs for you to find on purpose, but I d .... :)

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@FrankZ said:

You might think that I plant these little Easter eggs for you to find on purpose

LOL!

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• @TheDP said:
    Just a comment about VF, from a customer's experience and POV, I personally like it.

Things I would like it to have are:

1. The ability to add/create "custom" IPv6 IPs, instead of it creating them for you in order (::a, ::b etc.).
    2. The ability to delete the IPs that were created.

I don't press that big red Assign Address button.
    The entire subnet is directly usable in the VPS.
    Just add millions of addresses in Netplan.

@Abdullah said:

I think so.
    Both @skhron and @crunchbits delivered routed IPv6 in VirtFusion.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ Abdullah

• @yoursunny said: The entire subnet is directly usable in the VPS.

Indeed, but the problem is if and when you need to set rDNS for those IPs :smiley:

I'm sure the provider can help via a ticket but it would make sense if they would just allow users to add and remove custom IPs via the panel - similar to what was possible on SVM.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited September 2023

@yoursunny said: I don't press that big red Assign Address button.
    The entire subnet is directly usable in the VPS.

Thank you. That is a good thing to know.

• edited September 2023

@TheDP said:
    Indeed, but the problem is if and when you need to set rDNS for those IPs :smiley:

I never bothered with rDNS in VPS.
    I only used rDNS once at a hackathon, with tunneled subnet.
    https://yoursunny.com/t/2016/HackArizona/

For maximum flexibility, the panel should delegate the reverse zone to a nameserver chosen by the user.
    User can then have as many rDNS records as they want.

• @yoursunny said: For maximum flexibility, the panel should delegate the reverse zone to a nameserver chosen by the user.

Yes, that would be a lot better :smiley:

Some providers can and do support this, but I believe only if it's for a /48 block, or bigger.

• @yoursunny said: User can then have as many rDNS records as they want.

one less money making opportunity, no?

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• edited September 2023

@TheDP said:

@yoursunny said: For maximum flexibility, the panel should delegate the reverse zone to a nameserver chosen by the user.

Some providers can and do support this, but I believe only if it's for a /48 block, or bigger.

TunnelBroker.net can delegate /64 prefix.
    Thus, there's no technical reason to require /48 subnet for rDNS delegation.

@terrorgen said:

@yoursunny said: User can then have as many rDNS records as they want.

one less money making opportunity, no?

Mentally strong provider do not charge money.
    microLXC top provider.

Thanked by (1)terrorgen

• AuroraZeroAuroraZero Retired
    edited September 2023

That time I fell through a hole in the datacenter floor and was reincarnated as a /64 of IPv6.

Thanked by (3)yoursunny JeDaYoshi Erisa

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @yoursunny said:

@TheDP said:

@yoursunny said: For maximum flexibility, the panel should delegate the reverse zone to a nameserver chosen by the user.

TunnelBroker.net can delegate /64 prefix.
    Thus, there's no technical reason to require /48 subnet for rDNS delegation.

I was referring to providers that are providing native IPv6, that they would normally support delegating NS auth for the subnet if it was at least a /48.

Just based on past experience.

Thanked by (1)Shot²

• skhronskhron Hosting Provider

@yoursunny said:
    For maximum flexibility, the panel should delegate the reverse zone to a nameserver chosen by the user.

This is cool idea! However there may be interference with how VF manages rDNS... Need to investigate further.

@TheDP said: I was referring to providers that are providing native IPv6, that they would normally support delegating NS auth for the subnet if it was at least a /48.

You can create NS record(s) for any prefix like /64.

• @skhron said:

@TheDP said: I was referring to providers that are providing native IPv6, that they would normally support delegating NS auth for the subnet if it was at least a /48.

You can create NS record(s) for any prefix like /64.

Of course you can.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

• @yoursunny said:

This is the best way to accomplish the rDNS issue, let’s make a new list of providers who support this feature.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

VirtFusion providers, it is time for your upvotes ;)

https://virtfusion.featureos.app/p/rdns-delegation-for-ipv6

Thanked by (2)yoursunny Abdullah
  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

@yoursunny said:

@Abdullah said:

I think so.
    Both @skhron and @crunchbits delivered routed IPv6 in VirtFusion.

Nice! We also use vf for kvm services. Would any of you be kind to share how to achieve this :)

I think this is on a per Hypervisor basis with a routed subnet for each HV, but that will make it impossible to migrate between nodes. Also won't work for a vlan setup.

edited September 2023

@Abdullah said: Would any of you be kind to share how to achieve this

You only need to create server-after-boot hook on each of your hypervisor to setup routing.

@Abdullah said: but that will make it impossible to migrate between nodes

It should not, however I didn't test it yet.

@Abdullah said: won't work for a vlan setup

I don't see any reason why vlan will interfere (our hypervisor uses vlans and has very custom network setup)

Thanked by (3)yoursunny FrankZ Abdullah
  • @skhron said:
    You only need to create server-after-boot hook on each of your hypervisor to setup routing.
    @Abdullah said:
    I think this is on a per Hypervisor basis with a routed subnet for each HV, but that will make it impossible to migrate between nodes.

As the hypervisor can run a hook after booting a virtual machine, the hook script can either:

• SSH into the hardware router(s) and insert/replace a static route for the VM prefix.
    • Make an intra-domain routing announcement for the VM prefix from the routing daemon on the hypervisor node. This routing announcement would be received by hardware routers and other hypervisor nodes.
    Thanked by (1)Abdullah

@yoursunny said:
    As the hypervisor can run a hook after booting a virtual machine, the hook script can either:

• SSH into the hardware router(s) and insert/replace a static route for the VM prefix.
    • Make an intra-domain routing announcement for the VM prefix from the routing daemon on the hypervisor node. This routing announcement would be received by hardware routers and other hypervisor nodes.

In our case the routes are added to the Linux routing table and they are further propagated by iBGP, no need for quirks with SSH

Thanked by (2)yoursunny Abdullah